Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bring WAR back

Very disappointed in TESO, GW2, Rift and so on, please bring Warhammer Online back!

Comments

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

WARHAMMER ONLINE, BEST MMO EVER BY FAR.

It made carebears pvp, and pvpers actually care (for their realm, etc). No other game has accomplished that, to my knowledge, ever (maybe DAoC did as well?)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I'd play WAR if it came back.  Game was a blast.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    I am sure posting here will bring it back.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DMKano

Just goes to show you, how different our tastes are.

WAR to me is the worst AAA MMORPG I've played period.

Give it a few years here and it will be right in there with SWG as the best game ever made.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by wiscel
    Very disappointed in TESO, GW2, Rift and so on, please bring Warhammer Online back!

No worries... you just need to convince Games-Workshop to re-negotiate the license with EA, Convince EA it is worth the money and then have them shift devs away form other projects to get it up and running again.

To be honest the game would need so much work that it would rival Final Fantasy. ARR.

To sum it up... Not very much chance of it.

gervaise1

This have been a good conversation

• CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85

I would like WAR if the brought it back in the essence of the table top.

Every race for itself, loose alliances brokered in some special way throughout the game along Good/Neutral/Evil lines. Keep things three faction, but let the factions shift through this alliance brokerage system.

Example. Dwarves have the best mines in games, getting hammered by green skins and chaos. Faction wide 48 hour poll the Dwarves to ask Empire for a brief alliance (set up in weekly terms.) You help us defeat them, you have access to our mines, tech for defense/offense etc. You earn prestige with Dwarves for fighting with them during battle, allowing you to buy special items (eventually)

Might hurt when one race has a drastic lack of players, but that's where the alliance system would step in. Good and Neutral can help each other, Neutral and Evil can help each other. Good and good, Neutral and Neutral, Evil... you get the idea. Make the neutral guys a group of vagabonds or mixed races from both good and evil as well as some of the more grey armies from WAR.

Add more races, expand racial zones, make everything contestable - beyond a starting area.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    WAR was a really good game at heart, it didn't really need additions or changes, they only needed to tune and fix what was already there.  They never got a solid grip on class balance and the servers couldn't handle high density RvR.  I remember my realm spent the entire day pushing into the enemy capital, crashing the server 3-4 times along the way.  We finally pushed into the city in the wee hours of the night to find that the content there was unfinished, presumably because they didn't anticipate anyone getting there that fast , so finishing that content was a low priority.
  • Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    i thought this game had the perfect balance of pvp and pve. I usually don't pvp in MMO's but in Warhammer i did because it was actually fun and noone was overpowered. At least in the early to mid levels. public quests were great fun because it was new(ish). I'd definitely play Warhammer Online again if they released as it was with some improvements. However... i didn't have anything if at all to complain about Warhammer except for the lack of players in midgame. EA needs to die and go away. They kill their own games. I still like Mythic though. They should never have signed on with EA to publish their games at all. Every non sports game by EA has died with the exception of Dead Space games. 
  • The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Give it a few years here and it will be right in there with SWG as the best game ever made.

Along with Vanguard as well....

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

For some it may be, and so what if it is?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by kinart

WARHAMMER ONLINE, BEST MMO EVER BY FAR.

It made carebears pvp, and pvpers actually care (for their realm, etc). No other game has accomplished that, to my knowledge, ever (maybe DAoC did as well?)

If you had played DAOC, then you would understand why WAR was pretty much a total disappointment to some of us.

No game let me down more, was so expecting DAOC 2, and instead got something so very diffrent.

Wasn't necessarily bad, as many like you enjoyed it, but certainly wasn't what I was looking for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I was involved with WAR since early beta. The game ran mostly on CEO arrogance more then skilled developers and that's why it ended up being a low quality WoW clone. These games deserve a fiery death not a nostalgic resurrection.
  • FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

Is someone building an emulator for WAR?

I know EQ, SWG, has emulators, heck they are even working on a Vanguard emulator.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I wonder if making a meme and sharing it on Facebook would work... people seem to try that one a lot.

• loltacololloltacolol Member UncommonPosts: 26

Yeah i would really enjoy playing Warhammer agian, everything on the market i have already played and nothing can fill the  RvR hole. 

• NymiethePoohNymiethePooh Member UncommonPosts: 26

I liked the core of WAR. I think its biggest stumbling block was that it's version of alternate advancement depended on what everyone in the area was doing. Once that initial rush of new MMO subscribers died down, so did alternate advancement. This did nothing to help incentivize people into staying. Add to that there was quite a bit left undone at launch and development was practically abandoned roughly a year later and you get a disaster.

I am uncertain why the people wanting WAR back (not just a Warhammer themed MMO) take issue with Rift. A lot of the team that developed WAR also developed Rift and implemented some of the better ideas from WAR into Rift.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Distopia

Nothing at all. Having all these people living in the past keeps them out of my future.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

WAR was a decent game, it just used an engine and server structure which couldn't handle the type of massive PvP they were attempting to provide. Unfortunately for them, neither of those things are easily or expeditiously fixable. Add in the constant back and forth which is PvP class balance, with a dash of unfinished content due to the game being rushed out the door too early, and you've got a game which the notoriously finicky MMORPG player base can (and did) completely pick apart.

A shame, too. It was one of the few games I've played I actually enjoyed PvP'ing in. One innovation which still to this day has not to my knowledge been replicated by any MMO since is the fact that your shield's block chance also applied to spells with projectiles. No developer since has understood that, if I've got a big-ass shield and see a fireball coming my way, I'm going to hide behind the damn shield same as I would if I saw an arrow, musket ball, or other projectile coming. Okay, I guess you can't really see a musket ball... but the point still stands!

Miss my Black Orc. Tankiest character I've ever played, often took multiple players to bring me down. Yeah the damage wasn't that great, but with the array of CC, self-heals, and debuffs available to me you sure as hell weren't going to get away or kill me anytime soon. Plus the fact that the game actually had collision in PvP meant I could actually fill my role as a tank and protect the squishier classes properly.

Sigh... someone let me know when a PvP game with a real tank class gets made again.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

What killed warhammer in the long run was the inbalance between order and chaos.  When there are that many more chaos people than order, you end up in altdorf constantly.

What they really should have done was have a balance shift by moon phase.  If at new moon, order had a 25% bonus, and at full moon chaos had a 25% bonus with it scaling down to 0% at the half moon, then even on servers that were somewhat inbalanced, the losing faction would have a few days per month to try to push the opposing capital.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

Say what you want, I thought WAR RvR and battlegrounds were a blast to play.

I remember playing my Ironbreaker in a battleground with lava around us. This was the only time in my MMO history where i would have to stop playing to wipe the tears from my eyes cause I couldn't see. I was laughing so hard knocking people into the lava and watching them jump around trying to get out! LOL...so much fun.

As of to date, I still cant find a game that beats WAR RvR...was a blast to play.

PvE...was awful though, lol.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I miss Nordenwatch and my White Lion. :(
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    I want another Warhammer mmorpg and I want a Warhammer RPG even more, but...

WAR??? Really? He was sick and dying ever since he emerged. Let him rest in peace. He deserves at least as much after all that EA and, especially, Mythic did to him.

for some weird reason i'd really like to get back into war now...i really enjoyed the game (well im a warhammer lore fan) - and it was probably the mmo where i did the most pvp...i didnt think it was all that bad as people made it out to be...

they can also reskin eqn with wh style  and lore...fine by me too :-)

wh just has the best style and lore...

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Distopia

Nothing at all. Having all these people living in the past keeps them out of my future.

Ok. But this isn't about you.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by centkin

What killed warhammer in the long run was the inbalance between order and chaos.  When there are that many more chaos people than order, you end up in altdorf constantly

well thats exactly how all the poor humies in the warhammer world are feeling lol

• UltorXUltorX Member UncommonPosts: 56

Loved leveling through open world PvP in WAR, but in later tiers most people just did scenarios and that killed it.

They wanted to put far too much stuff into to game for its scheduled release date. Ended up with unbalanced untested PvP and weak PvE endgame. Add to that horrible post launch dev support and here we are.

Would play it again just for the setting and awesome classes though.