Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I left EVE -- and why you shouldn't bother with this game.

Comments

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by kinart
    I haven't played EvE and now considering trying it. I don't understand though OP, if you really feel about this cause, why don't you make a guild with other people and hunt down the grievers? Like Space Police or something.

Because that would take effort...

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Hahah El Oh El.

So it's pretty public.  I've been back in Eve, what, like 1-2 weeks now.  I lost my first ship lastnight.  I (being dumb) warped into a combat hub with my light explorer frigate.  Except, it wasn't just any combat hub but one of the Sansha's hardest hitting combat hubs.  

A person, with a warrant, came in, helped clear the area (took them 1.5 hrs), and then helped me get my stuff back.  They even handed me all the salvage. (~63million)

Now...

How many gankers have I seen in 2 weeks?  0.  

I did have one arsehat scan my Badger II as I was leaving Penirgman with a cargo full of Exploration items (5 Herons, with full gear, including rigs probes drones).  But, I expect that when I'm flying ye ol barge of goodies.

So I think people just wanna get their panties twisted about the game.  Today, they overhauled Industry and I've heard both positives and negatives.  If I were a long time player it might make me more skittish, but since I'm not I like the changes.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Hahah El Oh El.

So it's pretty public.  I've been back in Eve, what, like 1-2 weeks now.  I lost my first ship lastnight.  I (being dumb) warped into a combat hub with my light explorer frigate.  Except, it wasn't just any combat hub but one of the Sansha's hardest hitting combat hubs.  

A person, with a warrant, came in, helped clear the area (took them 1.5 hrs), and then helped me get my stuff back.  They even handed me all the salvage. (~63million)

Now...

How many gankers have I seen in 2 weeks?  0.  

I did have one arsehat scan my Badger II as I was leaving Penirgman with a cargo full of Exploration items (5 Herons, with full gear, including rigs probes drones).  But, I expect that when I'm flying ye ol barge of goodies.

So I think people just wanna get their panties twisted about the game.  Today, they overhauled Industry and I've heard both positives and negatives.  If I were a long time player it might make me more skittish, but since I'm not I like the changes.

That's the spirit!

About the industry changes: For long time near monopolists the changes are of course a bit harsh, but the overall goal of EvE, to move power from the game to players, was reached perfectly. Production is now both more risky and potentially more rewarding than before as it should be. Sucks that I get a bit less out of salvage but I pay this price happily when looking at how this will shake some markets and player behaviour up.

To the guy above who was lecturing about hacking... If you join a corp of this kind because you think it will actually improve your gaming experience you deserve every little bit they have coming at you. It's really not hard to sort the better apples from the rotten ones.

Now let's hope that the changes to 0.0 CCP Seagull hinted at for the following patches have an equally dramatic effect. I want all the powerblocks crumble and fall! Mwaahaaaa. Ok, I'm ok, all fine again, no need to call the medic...

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

what now ? , should that player (Chribba) start crying like baby start looking for mum and leave game ;

http://evenews24.com/2014/07/28/chribba-loses-tengu-to-pandemic-legion/

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Whenever someone ask me about Eve online i direct them to minebumping.com and they can't believe this goes on in a game where your asked to pay monthly for. Its like being forced to play your game the way some sick people with no life want . No one with common sense would put up with this crap. Every mmo player i know hate this game now. It was bad back when i played it but now its just filled with sick people. And the people that defend it might even be part of that sick group of players coming here and saying its not that bad. I hope they keep losing players. The people that play that game are not good. No matter what gets posted here.
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Tears have been harvested.

Originally posted by Hariken
    Whenever someone ask me about Eve online i direct them to minebumping.com and they can't believe this goes on in a game where your asked to pay monthly for. Its like being forced to play your game the way some sick people with no life want . No one with common sense would put up with this crap. Every mmo player i know hate this game now. It was bad back when i played it but now its just filled with sick people. And the people that defend it might even be part of that sick group of players coming here and saying its not that bad. I hope they keep losing players. The people that play that game are not good. No matter what gets posted here.

what ?  you wish more psycho/sick peoples in your games !?

• cupofcoffeecupofcoffee Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Hariken

i agree 100%!

Those Code guys are scary close to fascism and despotism (look the definitions up and compare to the stuff they write on their homepage). I am ok with sandbox and open world but there should be some lines you should not be allowed to cross, if there is nobody to counter them.

I mean, we all have morals and other rules that guide us without explicit laws - those should apply everywhere. Even in gaming.

there are morals that are not based on religions or other convictions - we all know that it is wrong to blackmail and threaten and so on. i think we can all agree on that.

piracy is part of EVE - i am fine with that (as are many others). but we have a new level of organized extortion and cult-like behaviour that is just wrong.

i am accepting, ofc, other opinions on this...

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

CCP won't get involved just because someone is blowing up your ship in High Sec for any reason.

However should enough people complain in like exact words about this site, and involved parties

http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html 

About ship bumping to prevent a player from warping off and such then it can be considered harassment and a GM can take care of the issue likely.

Also if enough complain about this specific group of players trying to set rules that are not actually in the game up and doing harassment then it might be able to be dealt with my staff or should be dealt with.

To be straight blowing up a ship is not harassment, bumping, Making Demands, Making players have to respond to chat for any reason is harassment and should be dealt with if they want to fire on another ship for any reason they do have that right because concord will deal with them.

Also the way to deal with Gankers is run a "Skiff" full tank build, have an ORCA, and 5+ accounts with shield boosters on them as well in high sec as well as not be in a corporation then no one can gank you.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by cupofcoffee

there are morals that are not based on religions or other convictions - we all know that it is wrong to blackmail and threaten and so on. i think we can all agree on that.

piracy is part of EVE - i am fine with that (as are many others). but we have a new level of organized extortion and cult-like behaviour that is just wrong.

Good deeds can end up with evil ends and vice versa. You need to revise some of your cognitive pathways because while indeed certain things in EVE are unquestionably ethically negative these are rare and more often than not galvanize the community to better itself. Looking from the outside the negative outliers do stand out more, from within you realize the vast, vast, majority of people are alright or even really nice (in WoW for example you can get shunned by an entire server because of one thing you did in-game or out of it, in EVE we accept bad apples as well as good ones because it is all subjective in the end).

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96

Beta tested this game, ran around with Pan back in the dev days. But had other things to test, So I moved on.
    Came back to give it a try recently "few months ago", got blown up by players multiple times in newbie area. left the game I won't be back or sub till they fix the playing issue, in it's current state IMO this game is unplayable for new players.

And yes I still have my beta account.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MMORPGtester

Beta tested this game, ran around with Pan back in the dev days. But had other things to test, So I moved on.
    Came back to give it a try recently "few months ago", got blown up by players multiple times in newbie area. left the game I won't be back or sub till they fix the playing issue, in it's current state IMO this game is unplayable for new players.

its surprising just how unsafe 1.0 space can be..

perhaps if you actually tried playing the game you might be a bit more convincing image

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Good deeds can end up with evil ends and vice versa. You need to revise some of your cognitive pathways because while indeed certain things in EVE are unquestionably ethically negative these are rare and more often than not galvanize the community to better itself. Looking from the outside the negative outliers do stand out more, from within you realize the vast, vast, majority of people are alright or even really nice (in WoW for example you can get shunned by an entire server because of one thing you did in-game or out of it, in EVE we accept bad apples as well as good ones because it is all subjective in the end).

You have to be talking about WoW 8 or 9 years ago when your rep mattered. Since they merged battlegroups and brought in all their looking for group things, this has not been true. 

Running something today and having someone ninja an item is totally normal and seems as the accepted, the day's a server would actually police itself are long gone and so are the morals. (generally speaking)

As for eve, it is not as bad as people make it out to be, really it is the closest thing to real life there is in a virtual world. There is always a chance you will get robbed or scammed if you let your guard down or walk down a dark ally at night.  Sucks when it happens but it can happen.

Originally posted by Dihoru You need to revise some of your cognitive pathways ...

Thank you for that!

We just seem to have different opinions on this matter. I have been playing EVE for a long time, so i know about the community there, there are ofc many decent and nice players. But there is a also a developement in the recent year/months which i judge to be worrisome.

Again: This is my opinion and therefore my subjective way of viewing things (since, ofc, i dont have empirical data or anything).

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Post your character's name so that we can verify your story otherwise nobody can believe your fantastic tale about being killed in the newbie area.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Not saying story is true (seems very unlucky), but I certainly would not be posting a characters name In a website for this game as that would leave him open to abuse/bullying.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by MMORPGtester Beta tested this game, ran around with Pan back in the dev days. But had other things to test, So I moved on. Came back to give it a try recently "few months ago", got blown up by players multiple times in newbie area. left the game I won't be back or sub till they fix the playing issue, in it's current state IMO this game is unplayable for new players. And yes I still have my beta account.
    its surprising just how unsafe 1.0 space can be..

perhaps if you actually tried playing the game you might be a bit more convincing

6 years of Eve and got killed 3 times total in Hisec 2 times i opened fire on the guy stealing my cans.

Best mmo sandbox ever made period.
    From pvp to the meta game from the market players and Fleet Commanders to the scammers and the grunts and meatshields this game has everything....

But ! recent years brought me not the stuff i realy wanted and i lost abit of love for Eve Online.
    As a nullsec player and a wormhole dweller i was hoping for expansions that expanded the game much further then where its at now.

But hey its only just beginning its second decade ! so there is still hope :)
    With a new man in charge and CCP Seagul and her vieuw maybe....just maybe stuff gets better.

And we need more lore......about the Sleepers / Jove
    Its still such a mystery with them that i realy cannot wait to find more ingame stuff that tells me more parts of what happened.

Eve Online is the most unique mmo ever made an even tough it has its flaws and cant get dull at times it always pulls you back for some reason.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

CODE. provides a lot of laughter. Just look at their killboards when they need like 3-4 tries to finally gank an afk Mackinaw. Usually they kill mostly bots operated by stupid players (minimum skill retrievers for example) which is actually a good thing. I have yet to see a player who actually pays them for a "permit". It is only 10 mio. for a year but I would rather selfdestruct before paying that as many others.

What they achieved is mostly that people fly in properly tanked procurers or skiffs now -  at least in the systems where they come regularly and they caused the founding of the anti ganking movement which has its own intel channels and quite some people actively hunting gankers. So fun is to be had.

Their roleplaying on the other hand is a mixed pot. The dedication and always talking in character and role are awesome. But the context really sucks. The backstory their never ever undocking leader made up is really bad. Consistent in its twisted logic but bad from a literature point of view.

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

what now ? , should that player (Chribba) start crying like baby start looking for mum and leave game ;

http://evenews24.com/2014/07/28/chribba-loses-tengu-to-pandemic-legion/

Nah, stop it. When people read the story and especially how Chribba reacted their whole fabrics of doom and decay will fall apart.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Not saying story is true (seems very unlucky), but I certainly would not be posting a characters name In a website for this game as that would leave him open to abuse/bullying.

There is no excuse for not at least adding a link to killmail to such a story.

If you're worried and not man enaugh to deal with consequences, thinking before posting may work wonders.

Since all he has proven atm is being a butt-hurt lying gamer.

Besides he did say he left game and not planning to  come back.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Eve is a shining example of a game that stands the test of time.  Although I do not play it and probably never will, Im glad it has existed and Im glad it has stayed true to itself, to an extent.

I played about 5 years ago for a month or two.  Steep learning curve, so much to learn.  More so than any game, and thats completely fine.  My problem was that eventually people like me bled off, and there wasnt anyone around to socialize with or play with.  Everyone that CAN help you is YEARS(literally...years) ahead of you.  Theres no catching up, no hope for new players to one day partake in some of these deep space adventures and battles and economy wars that I love reading about.  There is such a barrier to entry that I cannot ever overcome.  

The game is most of what I have always wanted in a space sandbox game.  I wish the battles were a bit more engaging, they look...pretty boring.  Epic in scale, cool visually, but pretty un-engaging.  But overall, CCP has done well by letting human nature dictate the pulse of Eve, whether for bad or worse.  Even if someone trolls you, thats part of it.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by cesmode8

Eve is a shining example of a game that stands the test of time.  Although I do not play it and probably never will, Im glad it has existed and Im glad it has stayed true to itself, to an extent.

I played about 5 years ago for a month or two.  Steep learning curve, so much to learn.  More so than any game, and thats completely fine.  My problem was that eventually people like me bled off, and there wasnt anyone around to socialize with or play with.  Everyone that CAN help you is YEARS(literally...years) ahead of you.  Theres no catching up, no hope for new players to one day partake in some of these deep space adventures and battles and economy wars that I love reading about.  There is such a barrier to entry that I cannot ever overcome.  

The game is most of what I have always wanted in a space sandbox game.  I wish the battles were a bit more engaging, they look...pretty boring.  Epic in scale, cool visually, but pretty un-engaging.  But overall, CCP has done well by letting human nature dictate the pulse of Eve, whether for bad or worse.  Even if someone trolls you, thats part of it.

A perspective of someone blind. Sorry but that's how I see what you wrote and I started playing like 2 years ago.

1)There are thousands of players around you at any time of day. You being unable to socialize is your own fault and no one elses.

2) The core system is made so you don't need all the skills to do one thing. There are  hundreds of small roels you can take in EvE. Yes mastering ALL of them takes years but mastering one takes from a few days to a few months top, so new people are welcome pretty much everywhere.

3) If you are so inclined about catching vets on skill points, you are free to legaly buy an old account, thus skipping years of leveling.

4) Battles are super engaging - once you learn how to play and what to play (different ships require different knowledge and more skill/experience with flying it), get involved in community and  maybe actually risk something.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by cesmode8

A perspective of someone blind. Sorry but that's how I see what you wrote and I started playing like 2 years ago.

1)There are thousands of players around you at any time of day. You being unable to socialize is your own fault and no one elses.

2) The core system is made so you don't need all the skills to do one thing. There are  hundreds of small roels you can take in EvE. Yes mastering ALL of them takes years but mastering one takes from a few days to a few months top, so new people are welcome pretty much everywhere.

3) If you are so inclined about catching vets on skill points, you are free to legaly buy an old account, thus skipping years of leveling.

4) Battles are super engaging - once you learn how to play and what to play (different ships require different knowledge and more skill/experience with flying it), get involved in community and  maybe actually risk something.

3) correction, character not account, account selling is illegal and buying a character is only via isk. Still possible though and with the current price of plexes it can work quite well.. a 4-5 year old character should be around 80 dollars more or less (sounds like allot? 110 euros x 8 = a whole lot more).

Originally posted by Hazelle

Post your character's name so that we can verify your story otherwise nobody can believe your fantastic tale about being killed in the newbie area.

he was shoot something & blow up  by Concord multiple times , during agresion cd  timing , or accept duel or he just simple lie .Every player know what is 1.0 system security .

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by joosii

wall of text that summed in "i dont like game , nor will you"

ok let put it this way, just passed 8th bday, 

been ganked 1

been scammed 1

been griefed 0

ive lived in high, null, low, ran alliances, been in alliances, rented, production in a 3 man corp all me with 8 poses, 

and in all of the above ive not had a problem, sorry but i CBA reading the text, but i get gist being, im too lazy to find a place that i can call home i will live where all the other sheep live and then cry when big bad wolf comes into our field.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy