Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time for devs to rethink Mobile?

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

"[People will] spend $600 on an iPad, and $4 on a coffee, drop $20 on lunch, but when it comes to spending four or five dollars on a game, it's this life-altering decision."

Quote from a Banner saga dev... Frustrated about IOS gamers.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/banner-saga-dev-frustrated-at-mobile-gamers-hesita/1100-6421307/

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Totally agree with that Dev
  • LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I don't.

IPads, coffee, and lunch are necessities of life depending on your occupation. Video games are recreation and leisure, we all only get so much time and money to devote to that.

$5 is a lot when you only got $20 till next Friday.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If I put 10,000 cups of coffee on a menu and told you 9985 of them had piss/shit or spit in them but you had to drink them to find out which, you'd probably think twice about spending that $4.

It's why pay up front games have such a hard time. How do you know it's going to be worth playing. The price tag doesn't mean it will be good and there are so, so many that are bad. By the time the reviews are out it's no longer the IT game to get. At least with f2p all you lose is time.

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

Maybe, just maybe, its that most of us have dedicated gaming systems. Like PC / console or something simular.

So when Im playing on my iOS phone its usually in bathroom, on way to work, waiting in doctors office. Its simply there to kill some time. There is no emotion involved. Because the games are simple, due to HW limitations of screen and CPU/GPU/RAM alike.

For me to pay for a game I have to care for the game. Like want to play game on my phone instead of PC when home.

Its not a question of amount of money, its just that I dont care about the game 99% of the time.

If it were Nintendo games like Mario or Zelda or some other old game you have fond memory of, sure.

XY random game I found by chance in Apple store and will uninstall wituot moments thought as soon as more space is needed for music, wont waste a dollar.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Paske

Maybe, just maybe, its that most of us have dedicated gaming systems. Like PC / console or something simular.

So when Im playing on my iOS phone its usually in bathroom, on way to work, waiting in doctors office. Its simply there to kill some time. There is no emotion involved. Because the games are simple, due to HW limitations of screen and CPU/GPU/RAM alike.

For me to pay for a game I have to care for the game. Like want to play game on my phone instead of PC when home.

Its not a question of amount of money, its just that I dont care about the game 99% of the time.

If it were Nintendo games like Mario or Zelda or some other old game you have fond memory of, sure.

XY random game I found by chance in Apple store and will uninstall wituot moments thought as soon as more space is needed for music, wont waste a dollar.

Well i think thats just it. I mean the only mobile games i have ever bought, were games i've pretty much already played like the final fantasy series or chrono trigger and such. Well well worth the money imo. I wouldn't spend money on a trash game regardless so I just pay for what i know i already will spend time on.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Mobile gaming is "meh" anyways, so who really cares.

I know its big buiness, but from a gaming experience perspective: "Meh"

The only game I have played on a mobile device, where I found that experince to be superior, was Plants vs. Zombies on an iPad, and I consider that the exeption that confirms the rule.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by hfztt

The only game I have played on a mobile device, where I found that experince to be superior, was Plants vs. Zombies on an iPad, and I consider that the exeption that confirms the rule.

I care because so many studios as well as tech firms are putting so much time and effort into expanding that platform, when they could be making strides in better forms of gaming like PC.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by hfztt

I care because so many studios as well as tech firms are putting so much time and effort into expanding that platform, when they could be making strides in better forms of gaming like PC.

totally agreed.

In my mind for mobile games to be anything other than a second step child to other options is if the game takes advantage of the fact the player is actually mobile. aka Ingress

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me