Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: What is your favourite mmo combat system?

Comments

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I guess tab, if that's what you'd consider SWG pre-cu. Loved the combat in that game, mostly due to all the different variables in a fight, dmg types, armor types, Kds, Dizziness, water putting out fire, etc...

SWG Pre-CU was actually turn based.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Originally posted by PioneerStew
    Originally posted by Reklaw

It depends on the game type. And most of the time I addept to it's combat system. I just don't have a favorite combat system within MMORPG's

Likewise, but in most mmo's I play I find that the combat does not quite fit.  

When I play SWTOR I really find myself wishing for more action combat/ TPS as it would have suited the game better.  ESO felt like it should have been tab-targeting as someone said earlier.  GW2 I just get fed up of watching my character fling itself around like nutjob.  Someone also mentioned W101 above, both this and P101 really work as turn-based games.    

But my preference will always be for TPS.  

Actually... that was you flinging your character around like a nut job. I have never said this before... but you should learn to play instead of blaming the game. Your character didn't just fling himself around randomly.

The game requires you to dodge; when you dodge your character starts rolling around the screen like it suffers some hyperactivity disorder.   Have you even played this game? 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Xssiv
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I guess tab, if that's what you'd consider SWG pre-cu. Loved the combat in that game, mostly due to all the different variables in a fight, dmg types, armor types, Kds, Dizziness, water putting out fire, etc...

SWG Pre-CU was actually turn based.

Was it? I don't remember taking turns when I was fighting. It was a slower tab targeting but pretty sure it was all based on attack speed and cooldowns etc. Just a slower version of WoW. Or WoW is a faster version of that I should say.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Whatever GW2's was.  I picked action combat because other than not being able to hold up a shield to block, I sure as hell never "Tab" either.

It depends on the game type. And most of the time I addept to it's combat system. I just don't have a favorite combat system within MMORPG's

When I play SWTOR I really find myself wishing for more action combat/ TPS as it would have suited the game better.  ESO felt like it should have been tab-targeting as someone said earlier.  GW2 I just get fed up of watching my character fling itself around like nutjob.  Someone also mentioned W101 above, both this and P101 really work as turn-based games.    

Actually... that was you flinging your character around like a nut job. I have never said this before... but you should learn to play instead of blaming the game. Your character didn't just fling himself around randomly.

The game requires you to dodge; when you dodge your character starts rolling around the screen like it suffers some hyperactivity disorder.   Have you even played this game? 

Quite extensively! Great game, I suppose they could have dodged a little less lively for you... though I don't think I know any game that uses dodging mechanics where they don't jump/roll like their life depends on it. Personally I thought the dodging animations were really well done in GW2.

But I was commenting on how you said your character was flinging itself around like a nutjob and you watched. Presumably you were making your character fling around, probably to avoid getting killed. I don't know where you come from, but where I come from jumping/rolling out of the way to avoid bodily harm does not make you a nut job.

If you were rolling around for no reason... well then yeah that would make you a nut job =P.

Quite extensively! Great game, I suppose they could have dodged a little less lively for you... though I don't think I know any game that uses dodging mechanics where they don't jump/roll like their life depends on it. Personally I thought the dodging animations were really well done in GW2.

But I was commenting on how you said your character was flinging itself around like a nutjob and you watched. Presumably you were making your character fling around, probably to avoid getting killed. I don't know where you come from, but where I come from jumping/rolling out of the way to avoid bodily harm does not make you a nut job.

If you were rolling around for no reason... well then yeah that would make you a nut job =P.

Actually, now you mention it I was watching the boxing last night and the two of them kept flinging themselves around the ring and rolling around on the canvas.  They had to quit after the first round cause they barely had the energy to stand.  

Actually, now you mention it I was watching the boxing last night and the two of them kept flinging themselves around the ring and rolling around on the canvas.  They had to quit after the first round cause they barely had the energy to stand.  

mm... yes.. because avoiding a punch to the head is the same as avoiding a fireball or a catapult. I forget these things... they do have boxing gloves in GW2 it all makes sense now.

mm... yes.. because avoiding a punch to the head is the same as avoiding a fireball or a catapult. I forget these things... they do have boxing gloves in GW2 it all makes sense now.

Hang on, you were the one who made the comparison to reality.  You can't just change your mind when it proves to be an absurd argument.

Anyway, the point is I don't like the theatrical dodges in the game.  That was all.  But opinions are like arseholes and all that.    

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I like the telegraph more then anything, like wildstar. It takes a large amount of skill and tac to do right.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Action combat and FPS/TPS combat are the best MMO combat styles by far, but we haven't really seen titles that provide the proper content to complement and support them. It'll be some years before these gems shine, but, when they do, they'll shine far brighter than tab targeting combat styles.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

For RPGs I prefer tab target and combat decision making; For arcade games or FPS, I don't mind physically running my character all over the place and clicking each time I want swing/fire my weapon.

But, in FPS I've never held a meaningful conversation with anyone; in Everquest I have spent hundreds of hours doing just that.

Come to think of it, that was just another nail in Vanguard's coffin. Combat required you to constantly be clicking special attacks which meant you really didn't talk to anyone during combat. In EQ we talked during combat all the time. Add in Vanguards out-of-combat regen and very little meaningful conversation took place.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

For RPGs I prefer tab target and combat decision making; For arcade games or FPS, I don't mind physically running my character all over the place and clicking each time I want swing/fire my weapon.

But, in FPS I've never held a meaningful conversation with anyone; in Everquest I have spent hundreds of hours doing just that.

Come to think of it, that was just another nail in Vanguard's coffin. Combat required you to constantly be clicking special attacks which meant you really didn't talk to anyone during combat. In EQ we talked during combat all the time. Add in Vanguards out-of-combat regen and very little meaningful conversation took place.

I actually think this was a large component of wow's initial success.  You could talk during combat and then you had lengthy out of combat regeneration where you could talk some more.  Yes it feels slow by today's standards, but there is no doubt the social aspects of that game are a huge part of its success.    

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Its probably pretty niche, but my favorite combat is first person medieval FPS style, like counter strike but with bows and swords. Tab targetting just isnt the same when you have experienced this type of combat in a mmo world. Sadly the only game that offers this is Mortal Online which is a bit buggy...
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Old fashion tab targeting system plus lots of skills to choose from and not to be limited to few. I hate action combat in MMOs.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Free form, without stupid telegraph.
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

It honestly depends on the type of combat you are getting into, and what the game/network can handle without lag.

Action combat a-la-Vindictus is awesome for the actual feel of the combat and making it seem authentic, but is bloody hard to do  lag-free in all but very small squads so you can't really scale it for even moderately sized fights.

Turn-based can be useful when small squads are involved against each other, but doesn't really feel realistic and can get painfully slow when you get to large squad sizes and/or have AFKs that you have to wait the timer for (god you suck Pirates101 for this one).

FPS is the only one that works with anything involving guns and damage dependant on the part of the body hit, but is virtually useless in any other situation.

Tab-targeting can work small to mid-scale when the combat mechanics are relatively simple, but can turn into a complete clusterf*ck at large scale.

Eve Online's Overview/click selection system and combat mechanics (Hybrid or Other, don't really know which one it would belong to) would be considered clunky/annoying in any other game, but is the only system that actually functionally works at the numbers Eve regularly gets to, all of the other ones would either have absolute crap effectiveness or just explode attempting to work at those quantities of players.

So really, each system works best in certain situations and is terrible in certain others. There is no "best" system for all game types. And variety is the spice of life, so keep them all :).

Where's the any key?

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Crusades
    I think Wildstar opened some eyes up, tab targeting is what most players want in thier mmorpg. Action combat is great, but not with a mouse and keyboard, try playing GTA with a mouse and keyboard and compare it to controller, it's just better with a controller, running, diving, driving, flying, .... all but aiming perhaps and of course communication through typing.

Controllers work really well with a PC.

Both Vindictis and Tera play great with a PC + gamepad. :)

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I like action combat... but I begin to get mentally tired after about an hour of non-stop fighting. Perhaps age is finally catching up with me. :p

So my preference is tab target.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

SWTOR has my favorite combat in an mmo. Good pacing, skills can synergize with each other in various ways, animations and sounds go very well together. Characters and movement had weight.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by sunandshadow
    Other - Dofus has my favorite MMO combat so far.  Turn-based tactical combat, skills bought with points, no skill trees locking you into builds.  On the other hand it would be improved by removing classes so that any avatar could have any skills.  And I'd prefer the turn-based combat to use breedable pets as units, though I understand why they did it the way they did, to make sure combat would not be too slow.
    This intrigues me. Looking into it, now. Thanks :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Specifically for mmorpgs, GW2 combat, unless someone manages to repiclate Dark Souls combat in an mmo, exactly like it plays in DS.

Specifically for mmo shooters, well developed Third Person like Ghost Recon and Gears of War.

The rest of the games, Dark Souls Combat.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm guessing you're including Darkfall on the FPS/TPS?  I'll vote for that.  Although the skill grade is steep and many people will  destroy you no matter how much you practice.  
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Foomerang

SWTOR has my favorite combat in an mmo. Good pacing, skills can synergize with each other in various ways, animations and sounds go very well together. Characters and movement had weight.

I agree here.  The only thing is the darn quest hubs and generic non-story quests that tends to make the combat seem repetitive due to the amount of stuff you have to kill to get to the quest (sometimes), the actual quest mobs to kill, the bonus kills if you want more exp or mods, then killing your way out of the quest area (sometimes). 

For that reason alone I started to just level via BGs and do only the main story quests because the combat is quite fun for PVP.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• grindingamergrindingamer Member Posts: 65
    atlantica is the only turn based game worth playing, but i like turn based and action like vindictus. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Foomerang SWTOR has my favorite combat in an mmo. Good pacing, skills can synergize with each other in various ways, animations and sounds go very well together. Characters and movement had weight.
    I agree here.  The only thing is the darn quest hubs and generic non-story quests that tends to make the combat seem repetitive due to the amount of stuff you have to kill to get to the quest (sometimes), the actual quest mobs to kill, the bonus kills if you want more exp or mods, then killing your way out of the quest area (sometimes). 

For that reason alone I started to just level via BGs and do only the main story quests because the combat is quite fun for PVP.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I stopped playing. All around a really solid mmo though.