Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home after vanguard

2»

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

as others have mentioned Archeage might give you the big open world feeling you got when exploring the Vanguard world.. The only issue for me with Archeage is that its very asian lol and I am not a fan of asian style games..

I did enjoy Vanguard when I went back to it but could never get any of my mates to paly it shame really..

• I've moved to Final Fantasy XIV - It's not the same type of game at all but it's entertaining and I think i like the direction they are going in.
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

Played VG through all the problems at release. enjoyed the game no end, even with the bugs.

dispise SOE for the way they let down a game with so much going for it. They could have kept things going if they had got down off their high horse and actualy supported the game more.

Met some great people in that game, think it had one of the best communities i've found yet in any game and they deserve more than to have the game taken away.

Until something else comes along that has the potential will stick with ESO, even though it's only been out a few months it's still got potential and has a fair sized world to explore and will keep me interested for a while

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Best options seem to be in the future.. If they don't mess them up. Still, got to start loving what youcan get, because there are not going to be another mmorpg in the spirit of eq/vg. I am afraid Pantheon is dead and the playerbase for such a game looked to be lacking.

EqNext - Interesting new concepts, maybe not all good, but hey atleast they are trying some of the ideas we thought mmorpgs were heading 10 years ago.

Archeage - Yes well its been said.

FF - pretty good oldschool qualities, but really really asian.

daoc unchained - promises much also in the non pvp department.. If they can deliver half of if, it will be a darn good game.

Various new low budget/indie comming up - but a lasting home? probably not, but lets see what happens. I am looking at Albion at the moment, although pvp plays a major role, it still sound interesting.

emucaughlacaughtorscaugh

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

What annoys me most about vanguard going away is the loss of the diplomacy system.  I loved that little mini-game of theirs, especially in beta before all of the super powerful cards came out.  Each encounter was a puzzle.  They had so many things they wanted to do with it, but they ran out of time at the end. 

I used to think of conversations in terms of those cards at one time, when someone used a point of argument that matched said.

• doomingdooming Member Posts: 17

EQ2!

I left Vanguard about a year ago after the last group content dungeon was added (Old Targanor Keep?  I already forget what it was called).    I leveled my group from 1 to 55 over about a year.     It was a great game and I will always regret not sticking with it when it was released.  I left VG because that last group dungeon they added was just horrible.  I just could not progress.  So I  decided to try out EQ2.  

I did not have high hopes for EQ2 at all.   I played EQ2 at release and never got too far before I left for WoW.   After playing EQ for so many years, EQ2 was an atrocity to me.   Just a bad game and not what I was expecting.    Come to a year ago and I was quite surprised.   It's actually a really good game now.   The group dungeons are really well done for the most part and similar to what you experienced in VG.    There is  a ton of content to go through as well.  

I am currently playing the most recent expansion in EQ2 and so far I am not really that impressed.   For me, it's very reminiscent of running the WoW 5 mans over and over to get coins ( or whatever you got, I forget) to buy armor.    So, very grindy.   The difficulty jumped up quite a bit too.   It's probably a lot better for those who don't multibox though.

The F2P model in EQ2 is pretty decent too, so you can try it and level up to 92 if you want without too many restrictions.   

I cannot comment on raiding too much though.    From what I've seen, it's not really all that impressive.   Very scripted and everyone uses an add-on to track the combat text for specific events and just respond accordingly.    Maybe that's just the way things are now though, considering I haven't raided since EQ1.

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by csthao

Former players are currently working on an emulator for the game. Apparently SoE have heard about it and isn't doing anything about it as of yet. I'd probably get in trouble about even mentioning this, but its worth the trouble I suppose.

Great news and at least a glimmer of hope. Thanks for sharing. Over the years I regularely went back to Vanguard and enjoyed its unique style and features. I would be really happy if I won't have to completely resign from it in the future :)

• ohnoesohnoes Member CommonPosts: 18

It isn't out yet but Shroud of the Avatar is probably what I'll be playing next.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by blubsterer
    Originally posted by csthao

Former players are currently working on an emulator for the game. Apparently SoE have heard about it and isn't doing anything about it as of yet. I'd probably get in trouble about even mentioning this, but its worth the trouble I suppose.

Great news and at least a glimmer of hope. Thanks for sharing. Over the years I regularely went back to Vanguard and enjoyed its unique style and features. I would be really happy if I won't have to completely resign from it in the future :)

People whine on here about SWG but there is an emulator version for the game.  Vanguard will be up and running again very soon.