Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Black Gold Online: Fool’s Gold

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Vorch

I always feel horrible about these reviews. Some poor guy poured their heart and soul into this...being a developer so rarely pays off, even less so with MMOs.

If at first you don't succeed, go into Database Administration!

I'm sure a whole lot of people did but the mmo market had become a lot like the restaurant business. If you don't take risks and find a way to stand out you just become one of those places no one ever really goes to. Their food is ok, the atmosphere in ok and the service is ok. And nothing at all makes you think ohh lets go there!

That's the problem with looking at data that shows what the masses thought popular in the past. Data doesn't tell you who's sick of doing it and looking for something else.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

"everything about Black Gold Online is like a foggy trip down a muddled memory lane."

That is like every themepark MMORPG released since WOW..

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I think he says you can only get time vials by paying, but you can get 2 for free every day. Not much but you can view details to see which have items you prefer to get.

I have got to level 37 with my Thaumaturge and so far I have enjoyed it.

I think the graphics looks nice and also enjoy a lot of the adventures.

I have not seen adventures like Lions Den or Shadow Hunter in other MMOS.

There are still many issues though:

1. Gold spammers

2. You need black gold currency for upgrade, and it is not easy to get from using auction house. Maybe only level 40 items sell.

3. Stamia points needed for crafting. So you can only make few items per day unless you get stamia potions.

• FeonixoFeonixo Member UncommonPosts: 36

I feel sorry for this game, it tried... the fact that the zone chat was overrun by gold spammers from day one just drove me to hate it... I don't get what you guys mean about having to buy your loot... do you mean time vials? The more you do in the time you play = better reward... and you can unlock 2 per day for free.. is that what you mean?

Anyway I haven't played in weeks. I can't help but feel sorry for them, they did try... too hard, but not enough if that makes sense... 

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

My only comment is nearly ever criticism weighed against this game could be 100% said about wildstar....yet they arent and wildstar is given a wonderful score yet is a steaminng pile of boring, been there done that, rehashed and riddle with bugs and absurd gating of the end game.

so i am lef tto beleive NCSOFT lined your pockets thus gets a good score, this small game didnt so we poop on them to tech the others a lesson.

Lets apply these criteria to wildstar I WILL only mention once that a game released in 2014 has NO Y-AXIS lol, yes in wildstart there is no up or down a monster can be 50 feet up the air but if you shoot along the ground in that direction you will hit it R O F L, not like you can aim up at it anyways...

Asthetics - uhm is a dated incredibly dull engine that visually is world of warcraft in space....BUT YOU CRITICIZE THIS GAMES VISUALS are you high ?

Innovation - wildstar literally NOTHING, you even detail it is simply a rehash of all other mmo's  there is nothing innovative about wildstar, yet it wasnt given this same score?

polish - I would give some credit to wildstar here the game did work at a basic level but the end game content was loaded with bugs that prevented you from completing.

longevity - i lasted 1 week in wildstar and it was tortuerous. A rehashed quest hub that offered nothing but a terrible travel system to go along with it, pile in some absurd gating of end game content that is dodge the red circles and very little of it, with loot tables so poorly thought out you will never use the best gear you get anyways....

SOCIAL - JUST LOL, wildstar chat system and dungeon finding systems were so bad that i literally did not every see a single chat line from another player in my entire run to level 50. Their system and displays were so aweful you just "turned it off internally" I still have no idea if another player ever talked near me or too me, and i sure as hell never talked to anyone else the system was sooo clunky.

Value - well you can debate pay models all you want, but I paid 60 dollars upfront for wildstar and still never found a single item or peice of loot that i would have paid to buy even if it was an option. The end game content loot is so poorly designed that people just use crafted gear they could get fresh at 50 lulz.

Again i am not defending black gold online, I am simply saying that your reviews  stink at a level so putrid when it comes to being consistent you literally should stop even making them..,

BUT HEY IT IS PART OF YOUR PAY MODEL so IT IS OKAY RIGHT rofl. keep having games like wildstar get a free pass for buying your reviews while you stomp others who didnt pony up.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Randayn
    wait...was this supposed to be Archeage's review?

Get out of here and learn to review games. Wise cracks like that make people believe you are the sort that is as objective as a KKK member.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by mmrv

My only comment is nearly ever criticism weighed against this game could be 100% said about wildstar....yet they arent and wildstar is given a wonderful score yet is a steaminng pile of boring, been there done that, rehashed and riddle with bugs and absurd gating of the end game.

so i am lef tto beleive NCSOFT lined your pockets thus gets a good score, this small game didnt so we poop on them to tech the others a lesson.

IGN 8.7/10

gamespot 7/10

metacritic 81/100

It seems every review of wildstar gave about the same rating. That must have cost NCSoft a fortune right ? /rolleyes

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Randayn
    wait...was this supposed to be Archeage's review?

Get out of here and learn to review games. Wise cracks like that make people believe you are the sort that is as objective as a KKK member.

Did I hurt your feewings?

I dont even think you know what objective means, but okay....

Reviews are never objective, for instance....

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by DamonVile

IGN 8.7/10

gamespot 7/10

metacritic 81/100

It seems every review of wildstar gave about the same rating. That must have cost NCSoft a fortune right ? /rolleyes

NCSoft being NCSoft costs NCSoft a fortune....

• ExiledTyrantExiledTyrant Member UncommonPosts: 69

While Black Gold is not the best MMO in it's state right now I feel the need to clear up the huge misunderstanding on the loot system people  are making.

First of all the the way the loot save system works is monster don't drop equipment  outside dungeons/instances. Instead you get up to two free save capsules a day that randomly generate blue gear or higher that is within your level range and mostly useable. You can choose to open these capsules to obtain 1 guaranteed blue equipment and 1 random blue equipment, 1 purple and 1 random purple, or a purple crafting prototype. The loot assignment can even give you more than 2 equipment pieces. I've gotten 3 to 4 pieces sometimes. If you don't want the loot you have the option of crushing it into random gems for gear sockets.

It has nothing to do do with materials for crafting, trash loot for selling, or collection items that give mounts and other prizes. The only limiting factor is that before end game most set pieces are found in save capsules not dungeons/instances. Which in a way is a good thing because it gives the free player an actual marketable item and makes it very easy to trade 1 leather set piece for a cloth etc.

So let's discuss ways to get loot. Public dungeons, instances 6 runs a day,  valor merchants from pvp honor points, Crafting. Public dungeons can be run as long as you want however they are open pvp. Various chests and bosses within the dungeon drop an uncapped amount of specialty items and equipment that is usually purple for bosses and green/blue for chests. A few hours staying alive in a pvp dungeon can afford you many riches and unique items.

Instances can be run 6 times a day per instance and if you achieve the SSS ranking in the instance you have the best chance of earning purple loots drops at the end of the instances, along with specialty items and even unique mounts. Blues are usually awarded per boss kill. Most instances have 3+ bosses so that's 60 chances per dungeon at rare loot + and 6 chances per dungeon at super loot +.  That's a heck of a lot more of a chance at endgame shinies than your average raid week.

While pvp honor per day is capped the limit is basically 1 piece of end game purple level equipment a day in points. Among other useful items.

Lastly crafting can produce all the way up to level 40 purple items. You will more than likely gain these recipes as drops from trash within instances you are running or through prototyping. Once you have a blue/purple crafted you always have guaranteed loot as long as you have the materials. Some materials might I add needed from other crafters so that the crafting community is more symbiotic.

So you can either use the features or you can pay up and buy your way through them. I understand some people may not have the time. However, If you are pvp capable, skilled enough to SSS regularly or just have the time get your honor for the day you will be seeing an influx of loot. To say otherwise is a blatant lie. To say that you actually have to participate to earn your purples would be more accurate. Heck if you actually do the test surveys and feedback for the devs they have been giving out vouchers for stock  purple equipment.

The game is struggling with it's immersion, faction balance, combat fluidity and story progression, but in all honesty who isn't at this stage of the game? It's at least a 5 with room to improve.

"Do not speak to me of fate!" ~ A fairy tale for the Demon Lord

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I am getting real tired of the reviews that state - "this is the same old thing." Hey we get it. It looks like 99% of the market. WE UNDERSTAND. Now, instead of whining about why it isn't the next new thing come up with what is unusual or interesting about this new MMO.

I do not mind the ratings but putting on emphasis on a rating that "it has been done before" makes me wonder how much time the reviewer has REALLY put into the game.

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    This game very much remind me of Dragon's Prophet. Except maybe even worst. Same level of bad and non existent polish.
  • MorBladeMorBlade Member UncommonPosts: 49

Free to Play, you get what you pay for.

Tried game, didn't like and uninstalled. This is what we get from F2P developers. I do not mind spending 15 bucks in entertainment fees. Cost me that much to go see a 2 hr movie.

• masaki23masaki23 Member UncommonPosts: 43

Yeah this one is just average. I made my sexy chick with the big boobs and ran around for awhile. If it  has a rack bar i will try the game out. lol :P But the game just got stale really fast for me. I think Warcraft just really burnt me out on mmos like this. The been there done that feeling was too strong here. I like the fact that it had a lot caster classes in it. The mage is usually the first class i make in rpgs. Time to move on from this one.

Originally posted by DamonVile

IGN 8.7/10

gamespot 7/10

metacritic 81/100

It is called a marketing budget, and yes they tend to allocate alot of money towards them. May I remind you what all of those same sites gave the original FF14 online a score for its initial release? most of them gave 7+,

FF14 was literally and unarguably the WORST mmo ever released and it wasnt until the game shutdown to be rebuilt from scratch that they dared comment about how bad it actually was.

like i said nearly every critque make in the black gold review applies just as well to wildstar but yet wildstar got 8's and 9's haha

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I don't think that's the case as WildStar's user rating ( a much better indicator of a game than actual review scores) has been tanking since release. It's in the middle of the pack now here.

Another run of the mill asian cash grab, will be skipping this one. Thanks for saving me some time and money MMORPG.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DoomedLukeDoomedLuke Member UncommonPosts: 3

I really don't know what to think about this review.

I'm not an expert in MMO, having played only a handful F2P of them, but regarding aesthetics, I really disagree with the review. Graphics may not be "next-gen", but I think they're not far behind ESO, which is a paid game. They just have a differente direction. Character model may not be the best there are, but I like a lot the game's designs. Also, though I only played for a few days (I still will go back to it when I have the time), being on the steampunk side of the game, I was a bit amazed when I got to the first city, a dwarven city, with all the spinning gear and steam stuff. So I thought it was quite unique indeed.

The reviewer wrote about varied classes and battle-carriers, but only about the bad side of them and didn't got any deeper. The battle-carriers were kind of a new thing to me in a RPG. And also gave a misleading take on the looting system and payment model of the game, given some of the comments above about how looting and payment work. I thought this "pay for loot" really strange, because the game rewards you with pretty much everything you do, even for staying logged for some time. As some stated above, you also receive two time vials for free a day.

I agree there are a lot of problems in the game, like the chat, the lag in combat, especially while dodging, and I know there's probably a lot to work on a game that IS IN BETA. But why tackle the game in what it does well, like aesthetics?

Well, as I said before, I'm not the most experienced MMO player, but this review seems to me a bit tendencious.

PS.: one more thing: all this "been there done that" thing, you may as well apply to pretty much almost ALL the gaming industry, right?

• v5etboyphcv5etboyphc Member Posts: 1

heard a lot of good things about the game before OBT, but saw it from SnailGame

I was like oh well, it wouldn't hurt to try so I downloaded

First day, cool, many different races and classes, I loved the Dwarf female assassin :3 

got my battle mount, cool, then try combat... bleh 

second day, quest, grind, quest grind, okay typical mmo 

third day, kill x quests, "oh found a mob I need to kill, but I'm on top of a cliff, wouldn't the mob reset if I couldn't kill it fast enough? oh well let's see", started shooting and guess what, the mob couldn't reach me, so it teleported right in front of me who was standing on top of the cliff...

okay.. uninstall =) 

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

Lol, off topic a bit but people liked ArcheAge? Ugh, I played the beta and was mad I even spent bandwidth downloading it....

And this game got uninstalled real quick too.

Did you only go through the quest lines? See Bill Murphy's recent video about AA.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I am guessing the reviewer was referring to the tutorial dungeon which is scripted. 

Which side did the reviewer refer to talking about bland? Certainly not Eisenhorst.

Was the reviewer, and the rest of you here, aware of the three options of controls (action, tab, one other don't remember what it is called)?

Apparently the reviewer doesn't keep up on dev news as they have already stated that they do not have systems in place yet to deal with the gold spammers and botters.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    I really like this straight to point thing! Thanks, saved me the trouble of trying out or reading whole article. Neeext!
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by v5etboyphc

heard a lot of good things about the game before OBT, but saw it from SnailGame

I was like oh well, it wouldn't hurt to try so I downloaded

First day, cool, many different races and classes, I loved the Dwarf female assassin :3 

got my battle mount, cool, then try combat... bleh 

second day, quest, grind, quest grind, okay typical mmo 

third day, kill x quests, "oh found a mob I need to kill, but I'm on top of a cliff, wouldn't the mob reset if I couldn't kill it fast enough? oh well let's see", started shooting and guess what, the mob couldn't reach me, so it teleported right in front of me who was standing on top of the cliff...

okay.. uninstall =) 

UO had added that trick a while back to the wyverns in one of the caves to combat completely safe perching. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SekkerhundSekkerhund Member UncommonPosts: 20

1.  This is BLACK GOLD.  It is NOT Black Desert.  Its like getting World of Warcraft and World of Tanks mixed up by name.

2.  The game is not Free To Play.  It has a very complicated payment and economic system that will require Real Money at some point in your play sessions.  I think of it more as a ... Trial To Play, assuming you're a player that does not want to spend any money on a game.  (which is unrealistic since these games are businesses that need money to stay in business)

Since NCSoft definitely isn't paying me to boost their games (I like Wildstar) and crap on the others, I can say that I consider this to be an accurate and fair review of this game.  Maybe things will change by its actual launch, we'll see, but until then...

Its a money grab.  Players beware.

• swevswev Member Posts: 6
    welcome to snail games. the most greedy son of a beewaxers out there