Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Square Enix Final Fanstasy getting worse

Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

As time goes buy the console games of Final Fantasy seems to be getting worse game is turning into a cut scene game and combat is getting worse as each one hits the consoles.

For example Lighting Returns the combat system is horrible switching outfits and only Lighting alone i really miss the Final Fantasy 7 style where you have party members each one can be customized for roles like healing ,mage,tank.

I hope that Final Fantasy 16 goes back to same system as FF7 but with large open world but it looks like they took the god of war combat system for FFXV.

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

7?

Hah!

I hope they go back to the mechanics of 4 or 6.

I agree 13 and 10 sucked though.

Also, for 15 they are using a combat style that has been in square enix games for a long, long time.

The director of 15 is the same guy who made... THE BOUNCER, and KINGDOM HEARTS. 

So yeah the combat is not 'god of war' like, 15 is just made by one of their many teams (they have a lot of teams at square enix, not just one)  This is something this team does all the time with all of the games they make, so it makes complete sense.

Research is important.

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

7?

Hah!

Also, for 15 they are using a combat style that has been in square enix games for a long, long time.

So yeah the combat is not 'god of war' like, 15 is just made by one of their many teams (they have a lot of teams at square enix, not just one)  This is something this team does all the time with all of the games they make, so it makes complete sense.

Research is important.

Sucked for you. I enjoyed the shit out of X and several times again years later. 

XIII was okay. It felt like playing a movie mostly.

XII is the one I couldn't get past...maybe once it's remastered or something. *looks at modded PS2* I can always fire it up though.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354

Completely agree and actually FFX to me was the best of all.

edit: completely agree with the above poster.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Final Fantasy 13 was the only one with bad combat in my opinion.  I liked how 12 did, because it was basically like Final Fantasy ARR and I liked that it did not get into an instanced fight like past games where the screen got all blurry.  Final Fantasy 15 combat is looking awsome from gameplay vids.  Its basically Kingdom Hearts combat system and I really liked that.

Final Fantasy 6 and 7 will always be the best Final Fantasies though

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Herzy

7?

Hah!

Research is important.

Sucked for you. I enjoyed the shit out of X and several times again years later. 

XII is the one I couldn't get past...maybe once it's remastered or something. *looks at modded PS2* I can always fire it up though.

10 and 13 are pretty much the same level of bad.  :-(

Story was weak and it was the beginning of the 'play a movie' phase for SE.

Originally posted by Herzy

7?

Hah!

Research is important.

10 and 13 are pretty much the same level of bad.  :-(

Story was weak and it was the beginning of the 'play a movie' phase for SE.

I agree 10 and 13 had the worst story and character design.  But at least 10s combat system stayed traditional but much improved.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

FFX was the deepest story i have ever seen in a game ,however some aspects of combat i did not like.My favorite combat type is FFXI so if anything that uses tank/dps/heal i am good with  it .I just don't like anything speed spammy like having to hit meters at the exact right time as i like to relax when i play not strain my eyes for precision timing.

I did enjoy most FF games but of recent i do agree they are getting worse.I can't remember all the numberology  but the one with the guy with the chicken in his hair was just a cutscene movie type game and not very fun to play.Sure i give them credit as making all those CS's took a lot of effort ,far more than the effort i see in most modern games ,i just wish they put more of that effort into the rest of the game.

Changing outfits sounds cheesey but in reality,playing FFXI it was very common to make gear macros however not quite for the same reasons.

Square Enix has definitely NOT a FF franchise anymore but more so now a dev that has lost courage and goes more for copying ideas of other devs or just rehashing all the old ideas.I realize that OLD ideas are what most FF fans like the most and you will never please everyone as we all like different versions of the FF games.

I guess the perfect scenario would be if they release TWO versions of every game so we can have combat and class designs that meet a larger audience but this won't or is not likely to happen.

As stated they do have many teams,last i checked it was at least 7 teams so depending who is doing what you will get a mixed bag of old ideas.

Square Enix is still a great developer but imo they have lost touch with creativity and wit hthe current regime of Bosses they sent out memos to no longer be creative but to stick with tried and true ideas,this is imo a weak management team afraid  to make mistakes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

When it comes to deep story, I found squares other titles more complex like Xenogears and Chrono Trigger/Cross.  Final Fantasy 6 is probably the deepest in terms of FF and then 7 in my opinion.  But Xenogears was a master piece.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    When it comes to deep story, I found squares other titles more complex like Xenogears and Chrono Trigger/Cross.  Final Fantasy 6 is probably the deepest in terms of FF and then 7 in my opinion.  But Xenogears was a master piece.
    Xenogears, Crono Trigger, and Vagrant Story had good storylines. Final Fantasy series had forgettable main stories but there was always at least one character who you could really root for and get into their side story.
  • Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    I wish they would re-glorify the age of turn based rpg.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I didn't really like FF9. It was just aimed at too young an audience for me coming off of FF7 and 8. The only thing I found interesting were some of the combos with magic. I thought 10 was pretty good with a pretty bad protagonist. The combat system was a step up from the previous games. I liked the skill systems as well. I thought Blitzball was a pretty good minigame. Cutscenes were bad and so was the sequel.

I only played about 20 hours of Chrono Trigger. I played all the way through Chrono Cross and enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the SaGa series. It was much less on story. I also enjoyed Star Ocean on the Enix side.

I think the top Square Enix game is still Final Fantasy Tactics.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Astro6

As time goes buy the console games of Final Fantasy seems to be getting worse game is turning into a cut scene game and combat is getting worse as each one hits the consoles.

For example Lighting Returns the combat system is horrible switching outfits and only Lighting alone i really miss the Final Fantasy 7 style where you have party members each one can be customized for roles like healing ,mage,tank.

I hope that Final Fantasy 16 goes back to same system as FF7 but with large open world but it looks like they took the god of war combat system for FFXV.

If i remember correctly Square Enix already said a while ago that they will not do anything related to FF7 until they make a new FF game that outsells it. I would think making a game based on FF7 mechanics would also be discarded.

I know, its lame..... oh well

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

7?

Hah!

Research is important.

They could do far, far worse than emulate the Kingdom Hearts combat system in a Final Fantasy game. Kingdom Hearts is fast-paced, responsive and quite intuitive... though it's very different from the turn-based style the franchise was founded on, so I can see why it's rubbing some people the wrong way.

However, when a game franchise starts becoming *generational*, it's allowed to evolve with the time. Kids as old as I was when I first played Final Fantasy 2/4 just aren't raised on the same kind of games today and are used to faster, instant-gratification. 

They also should stop with Final Fantasy 13s, 14s, 15s and 16s. It makes the whole franchise sound like a freaking dinosaur. Just give the next game a sexy title like Final Fantasy Neo, and go up from there. 

• RajaiRajai Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Hironobu Sakaguchi really was the best thing about Square, it's too bad he ran off to do his own thing. When I was younger I was really into the Final Fantasy series but after replaying 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 the only ones that were really enjoyable were 7 and 9. 11 has a really decent series of storylines, probably their best if you dont mind the horrendous wait times between some of the missions. 

Trump 2016

• MrkuikenMrkuiken Member UncommonPosts: 33

you do know FF 11 is a online MMOrpg right?.

If i talk about the Final Fantasy series i wont mention Final fantasy 11 and 14. since they are different games.

I liked Final Fantasy 7 the most duo to its story, and i kinda grew up with this game. Final Fantasy 4 and 6 come's after that and then Final fantasy 10 because of first time voice covers in the FF series.

I enjoy the turn based system, also I like the random encounters more, now you're more focused on the monsters you see and the action combat, where in the old FF series you actually where looking at the world around you. it gave me more feeling of being in role play, which for me a RPG is all about.

If any Final Fantasy deserves a remake with modern graphics, it should be Final Fantasy 6.  The story was epic, the characters were amazing with so much back story to each and it had one of the most psychotic villains, Kefka who actually succeeds in destroying the world.  The world changing made things more interesting because it was like exploring a new world.  In that game every character felt like the protagonist.  It also had one of the best sound tracks in my opinion. 
  • sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39

I certainly agree that 6 is the best for a remake, but I do want 5 to be accessible too. After all the other remakes and stuff, 5 might get neglected.

I don't agree that X is bad. I enjoyed 13 and 13-2, but found Lightning Returns to be too fanservice-oriented (and the battle system is a nightmare).

Did enjoy Type-0 too.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

With the exception of IX and XIV, Final Fantasy has been complete and utter shit since VII.

X had a good battle system, but horrible annoying characters  (Tidus is just a godawful protagonist) and an incredibly stupid plot. VIII had a decent battle system, but a horrid junctioning system and an even more nonsensical plot than X.

On second thought, I'll exclude XII from my previous statement because I haven't spent enough time with it to judge it fairly.

XIII is just trash. Not one even marginally likable character, not one decent plot point, a terrible leveling system, linear as can be, nonsensical lore, and about a billion other problems. Squeenix completely shit the bed when it came to that game, and everyone involved should be ashamed of it.

Someone mentioned Xenogears, and I must say that I agree disc 1 of that game is absolutely phenomenal. Disc 2 pretty much reduces it to an interactive storybook and takes the plot right to outer space, because I'm pretty sure that point is when the acid the writers dropped began to kick in. It makes almost no sense whatsoever, and almost every twist and turn it took was a complete ass-pull the likes of which the writers at Bioware and Blizzard wish they could accomplish.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    I enjoyed 8 the most. I enjoyed the junction and GF system. I thought it made the game really interesting. I also loved the story.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

The franchises peak was 7.

10 was my favorite.

Everything after that was terrible.

I think Final Fantasy 15 will bring back the franchise to its former glory, from what I see it looks great imo. Nomura has proven to be a good director thanks to Kingdom Hearts, and he was also part of the reason why classic FF games did so well because he was the character designer.  He designed all the characters in Final Fantasy 7.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Completely agree with what you said.  Xenogears, Final Fantasy tactics, 4 and 6 and the chrono games are amazing and I still play them at least once a year or two.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I loved ff10 great story combat was great.  i really miss the oldschool ps1-ps2 rpgs BOF and such i hate how 13 was granted i did still buy it and beat it but it wasn't as fun as the 300 hours i put into ff10 *put 8 into 13*
    It's pretty silly to keep arguing about something that amounts greatly to personal preferences.

Some love X, some hate it.
    Some look nostalgically at VI and lower.
    Some think VII was the pinnacle. Etc., etc.

Just make a poll and get it over with. You'll see the scores all over the place.
    Same as the many FF() polls out there.
    Fact is, the company keeps pumping out interesting RPGs and each and every one is beloved by a certain group more than another.

Had it not been so, we wouldn't have seen so many sequels to X and XIII alone.
    Lightning was popular than I ever could have anticipated.
    more popular*

Frigging phone.