Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good "long-term" casual MMO

JakzyJakzy Member Posts: 68

Hey!

Currently looking for a casual MMO with huge content, preferably with a good crafting system.

It would be great if don't have to feel like I miss out or get way behind if I don't play for hours each day.

Also preferably a relatively new game or a soon to be released one.

Might also be worth adding that I will be playing this game with my GF so a decent party game would be asm (y)

Thanks! <3

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

since you want something where you dont fall behind if you dont play enough i can suggest Guild Wars 2. It doesnt focus on end game progression so you wont be left behind you dont play for hours and hours every day. Plus its a lot more fun playing it coop which you also want. And crafting is pretty decent too.

GW1 is also a good choice but you want a fairly recent game so..... up to you.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Jakzy

Hey!

Currently looking for a casual MMO with huge content, preferably with a good crafting system.

It would be great if don't have to feel like I miss out or get way behind if I don't play for hours each day.

Might also be worth adding that I will be playing this game with my GF so a decent party game would be asm (y)

Thanks! <3

I'll recommend SWTOR. Great stories and gameplay and since you'll be playing with your GF... thanks to the companions system the game is perfect to play as a duo.

You and your GF plus the companion you each have makes a full party. You can even get away with duoing most Flashpoints (AKA dungeons) that way if you're careful enough.

And GW2 as mentioned above will also make a good choice.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• JakzyJakzy Member Posts: 68

Thanks guys, tho I've already played both of them : / sry, should probably made a list of games I already played.

GW2, WoW, SWTOR, RIFT, EVE Aion, Conan.

Thanks again tho :) I might even give SWTOR another try now when u mentioned it =)

Thanks guys, tho I've already played both of them : / sry, should probably made a list of games I already played.

GW2, WoW, SWTOR, RIFT, EVE Aion, Conan.

Thanks again tho :) I might even give SWTOR another try now when u mentioned it =)

You'd be back right on time for the housing (Galactic Strongholds) update in mid August lol. It also adds guild capital ships and the continuation of a new storyline that started last update.

Plenty of new stuff too, depending on when you last played.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Also The Secret World is a decent choice if you play with someone else. You will probably regret it if you start playing it solo lol... but its quite fun in coop if you get past the poor character/combat animations. The lovecraftian theme of the game is fantastic.

edit: i hate when i double post after the site stops loading properly.

Mods, please delete this post.... ty, or add a delete button :p

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Also The Secret World is a decent choice if you play with someone else. You will probably regret it if you start playing it solo lol... but its quite fun in coop if you get past the poor character/combat animations. The lovecraftian theme of the game is fantastic.

I was also thinking of suggesting the Secret World, since I love the game but... after playing it with a friend... it really isn't that great for playing in "coop"

Each time you get a mission with an instance you'll have to split up and do your own instance, since no two people can enter the same one. It irked my friend to no end when we played it. (And I was trying to get him sold on the game too lol =/)

You'd have to limit yourself to outdoors missions and bite the bullet each time you have to do a main story mission that takes you indoors.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn is your best bet. It fits all what you're asking for: Casual, huge content(updated more then any game out there ever), great crafting system and you can level all professions with same character, fairly new was released last august but in general very easy to get in and play your way, great game to play as a couple.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Hey!

Thanks! <3

How do you miss out or fall behind in an MMO? 

I just don't understand games anymore I guess.....    :(

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Mills007Mills007 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Not new, but with the recent changes, it feels... different, from when it was released. And I didn't see it on your list of games you've tried. I'll suggest Lord of the Rings Online. At worst, you download it and try it for free for the first 30 levels or so. At best, you like it and spend some cash (or earned TP) on the game.

The lore is accessible, graphics are ok, crafting is there, very casual-friendly, housing is available, etc. Worth checking out.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Go with ArcheAge in my opinion, should be launching in Sept.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Hey!

Thanks! <3

SWTOR if played as a co-op RPG can be a lot of fun and has a lot to do.

FFXIV is the other that comes to mind.  Both allow for casual progression, FFXIV handles long term goals better, swtor handles the more instant gratification better.

The Secret World is also fun as a pairing, especially if you dont "cheat" At the puzzle missions.

Originally posted by Boneserino

Hey!

Thanks! <3

How do you miss out or fall behind in an MMO? 

I just don't understand games anymore I guess.....    :(

I remember back in the days when I played WoW, I went on a vacation while my guild and my friends kept rading, when I came back they had out geared me so badly I couldn't raid with them anymore. that's pretty much what I ment by that :P

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

I recently dabbled in Eldevin Online and had a lot of fun. You might check it out. Really old school feel, open but straight-forward character progression, and a pretty robust economy and crafting system (for a browser game.) They also just recently released a standalone client you can use if you don't like the browser experience (like me), as well as mounts.

In addition, the group "dungeon" content (at least what I played)  was 2-player, though it opens up from there. Going back to the old school vibe, there is definitely no "quest hub" grind. Every one can be completed or not, thought often they are actually fun, rewarding, and interesting to read. In fact, my first gear set was all hand-made. 

Check it out, good luck finding something fun for yourself and GF

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    FF14 has a great crafting / gathering that IMHO is a lot better than anything we get in modern MMO's these days. If your looking for great crafting as a number 1 choice your options will be limited though I do see some hope in the future for those of us that love to craft.
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by DMKano
    FF14ARR is "updated more than any game out there ever"??? Umm no.

Questioning me is not helping the OP in his request...

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

Originally posted by Deathage

I recently dabbled in Eldevin Online and had a lot of fun. You might check it out. Really old school feel, open but straight-forward character progression, and a pretty robust economy and crafting system (for a browser game.) They also just recently released a standalone client you can use if you don't like the browser experience (like me), as well as mounts.

In addition, the group "dungeon" content (at least what I played)  was 2-player, though it opens up from there. Going back to the old school vibe, there is definitely no "quest hub" grind. Every one can be completed or not, thought often they are actually fun, rewarding, and interesting to read. In fact, my first gear set was all hand-made. 

Check it out, good luck finding something fun for yourself and GF

Looks pretty interesting, since I'm an old MMO player I always appreciate old school stuff =)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ESO, the crafting is pretty awesome. Plus you have all the delves (mini/public dungeons) all over the place.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ManecubbManecubb Member UncommonPosts: 13

The Hammers End may be your cup of tea!

Currently a polished old school MMO with a fun crafting system where all the gear in the game can be traded, nothing is 'bind on equip'. The community is very helpful and they will be sure to aid you through the game with any questions and quest help.

I've just started playing and I'm totally hooked. Like yourself I've played all the AAA MMOs out today and they all seem to be made by the same cookie cutter.

I've learned that this game is very casual and very long term, reaching the max level is not a hard task but the end game advancement is very much a trail. Again, everything earned in the game can be traded.

The Hammers End brings back that open world feel with non-instanced dungeons and open PVP, the devs have expressed their love for a player run world, with very few limitation!

If your interested the website provides additional information and features.

URL: http://www.thehammersend.com/

Be ready for a very friendly community that act as a personal tutorial!

IGN: Slawd

• quix0tequix0te Member UncommonPosts: 138

The Secret World is a pretty good choice for a duoing game.  There are a few cases where you have to split up into individual instances, but they aren't all THAT common.  Crafting is meh, though, if thats important to you.  Also, you want to familiarize yourself with how the powers work, because certain weapon combos are not viable, and its not clear which they are without doing research.  

With those warnings, if you can find good builds, TSW is a super-challenging game and would be a good duoing experience.  GW2 is pretty good, but I haven't found it to be very challenging with a partner and the crafting system is godawful.  Anything you can craft, you can buy on the auction house for one-fifth the cost of the materials, so its just a huge money sink.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Star Wars: The Old Republic and Final Fantasy XIV are both good choices for playing with another person. My partner and I played SWTOR and are currently playing FFXIV. Both MMOs allow you to have companions which fight alongside you, turning a party of 2 into a small 4 player army. The companions for both games are customizable to fit any roles you need them to do although SWTOR's is much more in depth.

FFXIV crafting and gathering systems are among the best available right now. You can join a Free Company (guild) and have access to chocobo training, gardening, and you personal room you can design however you like. Or you can start your own FC and have it all to yourselves like we did.

SWTOR has some good pvp choices as well as housing. space combat comes in both pvp and pve varieties. I felt the crew skills (crafting) system had good potential but fell short. IMHO, its a good system for people who dont like to craft. Which kind of defeats the purpose for people who do heh.

Both MMOS have their share of invisible walls. Id say SWTOR has larger zones but lack day/night cycles decent weather changes etc. FFXIV has smaller zones but the lighting and shadows are fantastic as well as the weather and day/night cycles. You can watch the day go by and it really is quite nice with some beautiful vistas.

I think overall, SWTOR has a much more enjoyable combat system with deeper character customization, while FFXIV simply has much more variety in things to do that are both fun and meaningful.

• LucziferLuczifer Member UncommonPosts: 155

I agree with The Secret World - very interesting til max level.

And first runs in dungeons, esp. nightnare lvl.

But after grinding thousands of black bullions it start annoying

But to that point is a looong journey full of fun

Tho crafting is dumb, only few potions, all other stuff is meaningless.

From crafting side I enjoyed Fallen Earth.

All craft (and there are a lot professions) are meaningful.

All weapons/armor/vehicles etc etc are players-made

And then playing at auction house, controlling critical stuff and their prices

You can play it only as economist :)

And from soon coming games I wait Sony-s "DayZ" -  H1Z1

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

I say FFXIV too :)

It will be around for a while and I personally enjoy it very much even though I don't play all the time. The game rereleased in August 2013 with patch 2.0 and is currently on patch 2.3.

"Q34: In a previous interview, you mentioned that you are aiming to make this an MMORPG that continues for over 10 years, but at the moment how far have you planned into the future?

A34: Currently, the area where players will be and what they will be doing in patch 4.0 has been coming into our vision, so to give you a rough idea, we've progressed our planning to about four years into the future."

ESO is also a good one to check out.

• irydelgadoirydelgado Member Posts: 16

Wildstar for me its a keeper and its long term longevity is always planned as explained in their developer videos :)

Carbine Studios is showing other MMO's out there how to roll in swag!
  • irydelgadoirydelgado Member Posts: 16
    daggerstone is rolling now, Stormtalon Server is where we are! DOMINION ok?