Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Warcraft Movie - What We Learned from Comic Con

2»

Comments

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by McSire
    Originally posted by Tyvolus4
    Warcraft II -- Awesome game --- Warcraft III...even better,...wow = complete garbage....hopefully this movie is in line with the great RTS games.

Typical guy who thinks things that are popular are bad. I think if WoW was garbage it wouldn't be the #1 MMO on the market.

Also, more people have played WoW than the original Warcraft.

Lots of people also played Mario, D&D, and Wing Commander. All those movies turned out to be steaming piles of crap which I suspect the WoW movie will be as well, that is in less they have kungfu pandas in it as almost everyone loves a good Jack Black cartoon.

They missed the epic ticket sales timeframe several expansions ago... at this point, breaking even might be their biggest concern.

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

Sargeras was not / is not a Titan. He despises all things Titan and has pledged to destroy and / or undo everything the Titans have done.  He did poses Medivh to open the portal and bring his burning crusade of orcs to Azeroth. 

I love LORE in games .  Pretty sure i am correct here, but Alas, i am just a Human, I could be incorrect.  Anyone?

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162

It'll be hard thing to do well, get the balance right and make it both appealing to the general public and true (enough) to be enjoyable for the fanboys as well. Whedon pulled it off with the Avengers (except for the hardcore fedora-ers, though it's impossible to please them) but that was a semi-miracle.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Honestly, I would have been far more excited about this film if it was completely CG and made by blizzards cinematic team. Their render intros and sequences are great and I grow tired of animated cuteness, a la Pixar. Pixar is amazing, don't get me wrong. Just ready for so e holy crap CG goodness.

as for the lore, if they dig back to the beginning, this could be interesting.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by strykr619

Should of just named the movie world of warcraft then, if they are gonna follow the PoS Lore from that and not use the original material. 

I am pretty sure this entire atricle is dedicated to telling us that they are using the origional origin lore form the first RTS, and NOT WoW. Any chance for some to crap on WoW I guess :/

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by krondin

Sargeras was not / is not a Titan. He despises all things Titan and has pledged to destroy and / or undo everything the Titans have done.  He did poses Medivh to open the portal and bring his burning crusade of orcs to Azeroth. 

I love LORE in games .  Pretty sure i am correct here, but Alas, i am just a Human, I could be incorrect.  Anyone?

Sargeras was a titan actually. He was originally the head of the titan military of sorts, committed to destroying evil in the universe - but grew disenfranchised with this quest over the eons his crusade raged on, eventually falling into depression and then darkness himself, freeing many of the demonoid races he once imprisoned and creating the Burning Legion.

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

The movie will fail hard due to the underrepresentation of gnomes.

This is my prediction.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    meh- ull have star wars 7 around the same time....gl blizz.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I wonder if they are tackling this from the far past to see how well it does and then plan to release consecutive films covering all the events across the Warcraft timeline, or at least the big ones.  Hmmm....like we'll see Arthas in the second or 3rd installment and so on.  If it does well, it's a good way to keep the movie franchise pumping out money makers and giving the fans more of the familiar stories just fleshed out in film or if they will branch out and do something different, who can say?  You know there will be sequels though, all these movies are in that mindset these days.  They crave franchises as those are making the big money anymore.  Just ask Marvel/Disney.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I would love for that movie to be awesome. Alas, most if not all games turned movie failed hard. Especially with live action.

They should have animated short stories themselves or ask an animation studio. I do not even play LoL, but those animated shorts are awesome. And the Blizzard animations for their games are awesome, too. How i'd love to play D3 everytime i see a trailer. - not convinced on the game though, but that wouldn't be a problem if it's all about the movie anyways ;)

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by McSire
    Originally posted by Tyvolus4
    Warcraft II -- Awesome game --- Warcraft III...even better,...wow = complete garbage....hopefully this movie is in line with the great RTS games.

Typical guy who thinks things that are popular are bad. I think if WoW was garbage it wouldn't be the #1 MMO on the market.

Also, more people have played WoW than the original Warcraft.

Typical fanboy. In denial land wow didn't butcher Warcraft lore, but in real world it did.

Why Blizzard has so little respect for their own product is a mystery to me, seriously, you need to add a new playable race and all you can think of is holy aliens that used to be demons (Eredar) but the lore got changed for them being first holy (Draenei) before making them demons even if they originally were demons before lore change, and also a completely different race name wise (the original Draenei) that got a huge facelift to make them look sexy because for some reason they had to use name Draenei for this completely new race too, which then landed into Azeroth in their space ships?

And that's only one thing, there's this same crap worth a book if someone wanted to write all the stupid lore decisions down.

Oh wait, I forgot, it's supposed to be cool, Cartman cool.

Blizzard ruined their own lore.... or their twisted version of a bunch of lore from Norse Mythology to Egyptian history and myth to whatever else they wanted to throw into the WoW part of the franchise. You have every mentionable character from Star Trek, Star Wars, D&D and the list goes on... in the game in some fashion. WoW has never taking it's lore very serious.

Don't get me wrong... I love the MMO and have played it over a 8+ year span (on and off), but for anyone to actually take their lore serious??? I find that funny. The movie would be better of as a complete CGI film like Final Fantasy. I may watch it when it hits the Hulu or Netflicks.