Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newest game that forces group play and/or holy trinity class system?

ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91
I know there are gazillions of threads on here that address this in some fashion, but some were started in 2009. What is the newest MMORPG that generally forces (or at least makes it really hard to solo) group play and makes a dedicated healer, buffer, tank, etc. necessary?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Such a game no longer exists, except perhaps some older titles such as FFXI.

We can only mourn their passing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    I know there are gazillions of threads on here that address this in some fashion, but some were started in 2009. What is the newest MMORPG that generally forces (or at least makes it really hard to solo) group play and makes a dedicated healer, buffer, tank, etc. necessary?

if you like that style of play than look for others who like it as well ,start a clan a guild.there is nothing that prevents you form doing it.that is the best thing you can do what you want.do you want a game to lead you around?that is what i find so interesting,a lot of people claim that the games hold their hands,but only because they want their hands held. you can let go and do what you want.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Plenty of games offer this today, just not exclusively. IN AOC every zone can be played in hard-mode, where grouping is quite essential, SWTOR has areas in almost every zone that are like that. The hard part is finding enough people who want to play that way. WIldstar supposedly has pretty hard dungeons and is geared for hardcore play.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Originally posted by Distopia

Plenty of games offer this today, just not exclusively. IN AOC every zone can be played in hard-mode, where grouping is quite essential, SWTOR has areas in almost every zone that are like that. The hard part is finding enough people who want to play that way. WIldstar supposedly has pretty hard dungeons and is geared for hardcore play.

Na you cannot consider that an offering, as it doesn't people who play they type of games wanna get to the top easiest  so the optional hard mode crap never has or does work, unless you have a dedicated group on al lthe time who want to run the content with you as it should be done.

It has to be all or nothing, fully group focused or go home, Devs need to step up.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Boreil

Na you cannot consider that an offering, as it doesn't people who play they type of games wanna get to the top easiest  so the optional hard mode crap never has or does work, unless you have a dedicated group on al lthe time who want to run the content with you as it should be done.

It has to be all or nothing, fully group focused or go home, Devs need to step up.

It did work early in Guildwars when hardmode was really hard but the rewards were close to insane compared to regular play. Sadly did they nerf both after a while.

People tend to play the way that gives you best award for least work, but usually are hardmode just not rewarding enough since it takes way longer and more work to kill a boss there, you kill them so fast in regular mode that you often get more loot that way.

What they should do is to add hardmode servers with better loot (and not just slightly) than the regular servers. There might not be so many servers but enough to have one or a few with good population in at least most games.

Besides them there was a long time ago I saw a game that couldn't be soloed and most games becomes even more nerfed either in beta (like GW2) or just after release because people today seems to prefer whining about the difficulty instead of learning to play the game good.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Just the fact that trinity based play is seen as hardcore is very saddening.   It just shows how far this genre has fallen.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Just the fact that trinity based play is seen as hardcore is very saddening.   It just shows how far this genre has fallen.

I don't think anyone believes that the trinity is hardcore. Specially since it is implemented in about 99% of the current MMOs.  I also don't see where Distopia says that the trinity is hardcore either.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Loke666

What they should do is to add hardmode servers with better loot (and not just slightly) than the regular servers. There might not be so many servers but enough to have one or a few with good population in at least most games.

Interesting idea. It definitely could work. I would give it a try if the risk vs. reward ratio is good enough. Hands down way better than e.g. several difficulties of group content on one server or similar things.

Originally posted by thinktank001

I kinda doubt that is how most MMO players sees it.

Some trinity games have indeed been hard and time consuming, but most the last 10 or so years have mainly been about skill rotations and that is as far as hardcore you can get.

It doesn't help that many people seems to think that time consuming = hard either. 

Originally posted by blubsterer
    Originally posted by Loke666

Interesting idea. It definitely could work. I would give it a try if the risk vs. reward ratio is good enough. Hands down way better than e.g. several difficulties of group content on one server or similar things.

Yeah, as usual you need to have the right risk Vs reward ratio or the whole thing doesn't work.

Having several modes on one server has been done many times and it just plain sucks.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I don't disagree exactly, yet I question how many actually want these forced community games. Even when games give bonuses to groups (SWTOR) people really don't group up, when they do it's usually short lived. Even considering you get better xp and social points for social gear rewards.

Better pay out, harder content, doesn't seem to be enough to force socialization, so how many would stick around being actually forced into it as they'd have no game-play otherwise? The genre is something completely different than it was years ago, on a community perspective as much as from a game-play one. It's not a small hobbyist community anymore.

It's just weird to me that you see so much of this on forums, then you get in game and see a completely different picture. WHat's confusing is you see it the most from those who want a  social community experience (and a lot of it) where are they in the f'n game? WHy is everyone stuck in small clicks or no social activity at all, if that's what MMO gamers want?

Why do they have such a hard time putting that group together to play regularly together, if they're the social butterflies they claim to be? None of it makes sense...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437

I don't disagree exactly, yet I question how many actually want these forced community games. Even when games give bonuses to groups (SWTOR) people really don't group up, when they do it's usually short lived. Even considering you get better xp and social points for social gear rewards.

Better pay out, harder content, doesn't seem to be enough to force socialization, so how many would stick around being actually forced into it as they'd have no game-play otherwise? The genre is something completely different than it was years ago, on a community perspective as much as from a game-play one. It's not a small hobbyist community anymore.

It's just weird to me that you see so much of this on forums, then you get in game and see a completely different picture. WHat's confusing is you see it the most from those who want a  social community experience (and a lot of it) where are they in the f'n game? WHy is everyone stuck in small clicks or no social activity at all, if that's what MMO gamers want?

Why do they have such a hard time putting that group together to play regularly together, if they're the social butterflies they claim to be? None of it makes sense...

I completely agree.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

It's a handful of people that want the "good old days" to come back.

WoW pretty much proved just how unappealing the old hardcore system was, since some of the things it was praised for frequently was its ability for people to play the game the way they wanted. Want to solo to level 60? By all means. Prefer to take on group challenges and dungeons? Go for it.

Needing to rely on other people for every damn thing you want to do gets old incredibly fast. And it results in the following:

1) Log into game.

2) Check friendlist and/or guild list.

3) If two proves to be fruitless, resort to spamming the LFG channel, or local area chat.

4) (If #3 doesnt work) Log off and go play a single player game.

5)  Once you've reached this point several times: Cancel subscription.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think that Pantheon game is the one you are looking for. It promises to bring the hardcore back, I hear it's doing really well...

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

You can't just give bonuses or incentives to group.  That doesn't work.  People will flock to what's easier every damn time. You either make grouping required or you don't.  There is no middle ground because there can't be.  If the option of soloing exists for every class then the majority will do that.

That's why it's so damn difficult to form groups.  The players that want to are spread out so thin across so many servers.  Instead you get players that have absolutely zero patience that would rather be doing a dozen other things instead of devoting time to the group.  

Why stick together and work out the kinks when they can just leave and find another group immediately.  Or they can log off and go play Diablo or LoL.

It's so damn hard to put together groups because people don't care anymore.  The genre is now filled with people that just want to turn their brains off instead of people that find difficult problem solving fun.  

I as a player can't get better or form a community when the game has a revolving door where no one sticks to anything for longer than a month.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    I think that Pantheon game is the one you are looking for. It promises to bring the hardcore back, I hear it's doing really well...

Too bad its a scam to keep a certain washed up developer in coke and heroin money.  When someone like that takes the money thats supposed to be devoted to game development and takes it for himself, it makes me wonder how any sane and rational person can continue to support it.

Oh, and there is no Pantheon, and there never will be, so how can your suggestion be of any use to the OP?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

As a general rule, being forced into playing in any particular game style preference should be something that all developers should seek to avoid. 

Originally posted by Alders

You can't just give bonuses or incentives to group.  That doesn't work.  People will flock to what's easier every damn time. You either make grouping required or you don't.  There is no middle ground because there can't be.  If the option of soloing exists for every class then the majority will do that.

That's why it's so damn difficult to form groups.  The players that want to are spread out so thin across so many servers.  Instead you get players that have absolutely zero patience that would rather be doing a dozen other things instead of devoting time to the group.  

Why stick together and work out the kinks when they can just leave and find another group immediately.  Or they can log off and go play Diablo or LoL.

It's so damn hard to put together groups because people don't care anymore.  The genre is now filled with people that just want to turn their brains off instead of people that find difficult problem solving fun.  

I as a player can't get better or form a community when the game has a revolving door where no one sticks to anything for longer than a month.

No one wants to spend an hour or more trying to get a group together.  How is that fun?  When you log in I'm thinking you want to actually DO something, rather than sit around with your thumb up your ass waiting for something to do.  If your friends and guild mates aren't online or don't want to do what you want to do, then what?  You log off and go do something else, never accomplishing anything in game that you wanted.

Forced grouping is deader than disco in MMOs.  The genre is better for it.  If I have to wait hours just to do something because my game play  is dependent on others, then I won't be playing.  Period.  There's many, many more people like me than you.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Too bad its a scam to keep a certain washed up developer in coke and heroin money.

Wow, you trolls sure do love inflating unsubstantiated rumors. Heroin now? Somebody needs a reality check.

Pantheon appears to be coming along nicely.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

No one wants to spend an hour or more trying to get a group together.  How is that fun?  When you log in I'm thinking you want to actually DO something, rather than sit around with your thumb up your ass waiting for something to do.  If your friends and guild mates aren't online or don't want to do what you want to do, then what?  You log off and go do something else, never accomplishing anything in game that you wanted.

Forced grouping is deader than disco in MMOs.  The genre is better for it.  That's why player retention rates are at an all time low?

What do you do when guildies aren't on? You make friends with the THOUSANDS of other people that are around you. Or, you solo until you find a group. That's how it works. It's encouraged grouping, not forced. Never was outside EQ.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Forced grouping is deader than disco in MMOs.  The genre is better for it.  That's why player retention rates are at an all time low?

What do you do when guildies aren't on? You make friends with the THOUSANDS of other people that are around you. Or, you solo until you find a group. That's how it works. It's encouraged grouping, not forced. Never was outside EQ.

Yea, your opinion would be true... aside from the fact that the op was requesting FORCED grouping. so soloing till you find a group isn't much of an option... and there is no guarantee that the thousands of players even exist or are willing to do what you want to do.

The OP isn't looking for encouraged grouping.  He's looking for forced grouping, probably because he played EQ and wants to relive the glory years because nothing could ever be better than how it was in the old days.image

Retention rates are lower than in the early years because there's so many more choices.  Ten years ago we had, what, EQ, DAOC, Lineage, UO, AO, Lineage, Shadowbane and...what else?  Now take a look at the sheer number of whats available today.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Forced grouping is deader than disco in MMOs.  The genre is better for it.  If I have to wait hours just to do something because my game play  is dependent on others, then I won't be playing.  Period.  There's many, many more people like me than you.

Pretty much the reason why MMO's of the pre-WoW era considered themselves lucky if they had a 100k subs or something like that. =P

Getting rid of forced grouping has been one of the industry's best evolutions.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Too bad its a scam to keep a certain washed up developer in coke and heroin money.

Wow, you trolls sure do love inflating unsubstantiated rumors. Heroin now? Somebody needs a reality check.

Pantheon appears to be coming along nicely.

Brad McQuaid took $45k out of the money donated for game development for 3 months of pay.  That's $15k a month in pay for a project that needs every $ it can get to get it off the ground.  A game where the lead dev asks members of the community to become "volunteer developers" is doomed to fail.

• linh868linh868 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    ...ArcheAge?