Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall Relaunched 1.0 First Impressions

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

First Impressions

Progress is progress I always say. When you move forward in a game. It's always a good thing, and this game has moved forward. The game has become a lot more user friendly and streamlined. Something I had complained about big time in the past. The trade skills also got a simplified boost. More needs to be done here however. You still have no clue or guide to it. As a new player you would basically look at it and move on.

A pvp world map has been added and it's AWESOME. Maybe the best part of the whole game now. Maybe I'm being a bit biased but I like my pvp after all. You can think of the pvp like Planetside 2. On a very much smaller scale. I know a lot of people shy away from pvp. But its fun and no one will yell at you if you die. Just enjoy it for what it is entertain.

The game appears to run smoother than in past versions as well. I ran it at Ultra and did lag much of at all. The sound and timing of voices is better now too. They all used to run over each other a lot. Now it seems a bit smarter on how it initiates. Sometimes you will need to stop moving to allow a storyline dialogue to play out. Or you will run into that run over dialogue.

Another thing I noticed is resources are far more forgiving now. I don't know if it's intended or not. But things appear more lucrative and mob drops are as well. I'm getting a lot of gear by just random questing. This game has never been that generous. Which I think is also a step in a good direction.

Pros

Better streamlined Questing

Better Sound System

Better Loot

PVP is back

Dueling PVP is back

Vehicle controls seem tighter

Better storyline use

Game plays smoother on high settings

Cons

Trade skills need a little more tutorial love

Enemies need better AI. And not jerking movements that make no sense.

The game needs a true bad guy. Or a more visible enemy to menace you

Gliders appear to be majority cash shopped now. Which is kind of an insult to people who paid for it in earlier months. Or earned it in various in game ways.

Everyone was started over AGAIN! What is this like the sixth time that happen?

Some would say now the game is holding your hand too much. Which makes it less sandbox and more theme park

Conclusion

If you had an account before July 8th this year. You can log in right now and play. In my opinion it's greatly improved. And deserves at least a little of your time. The game still has a ways to go. I think it needs a little more personality and edge. Be a bit more cinematic and have a sense of urgency.

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Silentstorm

First Impressions

Progress is progress I always say. When you move forward in a game. It's always a good thing, and this game has moved forward. The game has become a lot more user friendly and streamlined. Something I had complained about big time in the past. The trade skills also got a simplified boost. More needs to be done here however. You still have no clue or guide to it. As a new player you would basically look at it and move on.

A pvp world map has been added and it's AWESOME. Maybe the best part of the whole game now. Maybe I'm being a bit biased but I like my pvp after all. You can think of the pvp like Planetside 2. On a very much smaller scale. I know a lot of people shy away from pvp. But its fun and no one will yell at you if you die. Just enjoy it for what it is entertain.

The game appears to run smoother than in past versions as well. I ran it at Ultra and did lag much of at all. The sound and timing of voices is better now too. They all used to run over each other a lot. Now it seems a bit smarter on how it initiates. Sometimes you will need to stop moving to allow a storyline dialogue to play out. Or you will run into that run over dialogue.

Another thing I noticed is resources are far more forgiving now. I don't know if it's intended or not. But things appear more lucrative and mob drops are as well. I'm getting a lot of gear by just random questing. This game has never been that generous. Which I think is also a step in a good direction.

Pros

Better streamlined Questing

Better Sound System

Better Loot

PVP is back

Dueling PVP is back

Vehicle controls seem tighter

Better storyline use

Game plays smoother on high settings

Cons

Trade skills need a little more tutorial love

Enemies need better AI. And not jerking movements that make no sense.

The game needs a true bad guy. Or a more visible enemy to menace you

Gliders appear to be majority cash shopped now. Which is kind of an insult to people who paid for it in earlier months. Or earned it in various in game ways.

Some would say now the game is holding your hand too much. Which makes it less sandbox and more theme park

Conclusion

If you had an account before July 8th this year. You can log in right now and play. In my opinion it's greatly improved. And deserves at least a little of your time. The game still has a ways to go. I think it needs a little more personality and edge. Be a bit more cinematic and have a sense of urgency.

Is there different servers or somthing ? i logged into this game for the first time in like a year to check out the pvp. i went to the pvp zone and didnt see 1 person there. i was put into a " team " and was alone. and not one fort was taken or contested the entire time i ran around looking for people.

• zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Fun game but was sooooo much better sandbox (pre 1.0).
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

So they wiped the old characters?  I played the game for quite a while about a year ago, had a battleframe to (iirc) 9/10/9 or something like that, so it's all be wiped now? 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• GalvanGalvan Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by arieste

So they wiped the old characters?  I played the game for quite a while about a year ago, had a battleframe to (iirc) 9/10/9 or something like that, so it's all be wiped now? 

Nope, you have the caracter once made in the past, just login and see by yourself :)

Greetings

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

No they did a resource "wipe"  but any frame you leveled will still be leveled  and if the gear could be converted it was.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Your title says "Relaunched" but unless I missed something, the game never launched a first time, it only made it to beta, and the official "Launch" is on the 29th (Tuesday)

The game has changed ALOT since last year, but again, it has only been in beta, the Live launch is Tuesday.

Again, unless I missed the game going "Live" last year, then closing down, then going into beta again.. But my same beta account from last year is currently in Early access and set for the Live launch on Tuesday.

*Edit*

I have not been playing much over the last year, so I could have missed it going Live then closing and going into beta again, but Thats not what I understood has happened. It has not gone live yet.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Quicksand

Your title says "Relaunched" but unless I missed something, the game never launched a first time, it only made it to beta, and the official "Launch" is on the 29th (Tuesday)

The game has changed ALOT since last year, but again, it has only been in beta, the Live launch is Tuesday.

Again, unless I missed the game going "Live" last year, then closing down, then going into beta again.. But my same beta account from last year is currently in Early access and set for the Live launch on Tuesday.

*Edit*

I have not been playing much over the last year, so I could have missed it going Live then closing and going into beta again, but Thats not what I understood has happened. It has not gone live yet.

I am playing early access now and it has improved a lot since the beta.  I wish more mmo's had fps combat.  

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I've been playing, and it's just 'okay' so far. Tradeskills and thumping need tutorials, as if I hadn't played the game in CB previously I'd have no clue how those systems worked. I also think forcing people who can't  / won't pay to slog through 40 levels with a basic battleframe before getting to the specialized one is kind of stupid, and is going to turn a lot of folks away from the game.

Rare crafting recipes are useless while leveling, as you'll far outlevel them while farming for the materials to create them.

Overall the game is better, and I can see it being a secondary game for when I want a quick PvE shooter fix, but that's about it. So far it's just mindless mission repetition traveling from hub to hub; the game needs more variety.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by DamonVile

No they did a resource "wipe"  but any frame you leveled will still be leveled  and if the gear could be converted it was.

i'm re-DLing now.  So what exactly did the OP mean by "everyone was started over again"?  

and did stuff like paint and patterns carry over?

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

i'm re-DLing now.  So what exactly did the OP mean by "everyone was started over again"?  

The game is quite different now than it was a year ago. Your frames, paint and patterns are still there. Not much else will be. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't know what they mean by started over. You have no resources so you can't craft anything and your weapons are all unmoded. So at the beginning it's hard to play your higher level frames because with no mods you're really weak vrs your level of content but you need to kill it to get the mods. So a bit of a catch 22, but it doesn't take long to fix that.

Of all the changes they've made to firefall the worst thing they did was remove most of the dynamic events and spawns in favor of a very linear experience. They are however getting a lot of feed back on that and I hope they'll add those events back in.

• Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    I like MMORPG and I hate all fast action games, like shooters or arcade. There was nice class for players like me - Bastion. You setup turrets and they shoot mobs for you. Bastion was not overpowered anyway - its was just special PvE class to farm solo or in small group. Now this class is almost totally nerfed. 3 turrets instead of 7 and they disappear after 2 minutes. There are some improvements in the game but they do not looks optimistic. It's like +1 turret, or +30% to life time. That sucks. I see no point to play anymore.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Of all the changes they've made to firefall the worst thing they did was remove most of the dynamic events and spawns in favor of a very linear experience. They are however getting a lot of feed back on that and I hope they'll add those events back in.

Yeah, they removed the one thing that really defined FireFall as a different, fun and challenging experience for a more traditional "Zoned" level approach. Meh.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Dixi01
    I like MMORPG and I hate all fast action games, like shooters or arcade. There was nice class for players like me - Bastion. You setup turrets and they shoot mobs for you. Bastion was not overpowered anyway - its was just special PvE class to farm solo or in small group. Now this class is almost totally nerfed. 3 turrets instead of 7 and they disappear after 2 minutes. There are some improvements in the game but they do not looks optimistic. It's like +1 turret, or +30% to life time. That sucks. I see no point to play anymore.

the games always been an fps.  when the team talked about it since 2012 they called it a shooter.

you picked the wrong game.

im leveling engi now and having a blast.  best thing about this game is i can roll undergeared in pvp if i want to and know that my skill and reflexes can best someones class or gear at any time.

reflexes mean more here, and honestly, they always have.  well, since 2012 anyway (when i got into beta).  but its been more than 2 years now since the game had tab targetting.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• MrNeoAndersonMrNeoAnderson Member Posts: 11
    im liking what i see so far, hooked
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Definitely a fun F2P game for me and a must try for those that are curious. It does have a little learning curve, but nothing to complicated to understand.

Met some pretty cool players and been teaming up with them everyday.

It you like Starsiege Tribes / Tribes Ascend or Global Agenda, you may take a liking to this game very easily.

• mdtaylor407mdtaylor407 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

Definitely a fun F2P game for me and a must try for those that are curious. It does have a little learning curve, but nothing to complicated to understand.

It you like Starsiege Tribes / Tribes Ascend or Global Agenda, you may take a liking to this game very easily.

Liked Tribes Ascend and that is why im trying out Firefall. At least this is not as complicated as DUST.

Originally posted by mdtaylor407
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

Liked Tribes Ascend and that is why im trying out Firefall. At least this is not as complicated as DUST.

If you get hooked into the game mdtaylor407, just friend me in game if you want.

Me and my buddies are always rolling different 'Battleframes' in this game for different missions and thumping. We haven't tackled the 'PvP' aspect of the game yet, but looking forward to it when we get our bearings in the game on which class to PvP with.

• ethanmatthewsethanmatthews Member Posts: 9
    looking for more buddies in Firefall, hit me up if you wanna roll along ..
  • dosvalenciadosvalencia Member Posts: 8
    Are there specifically PvP-geared battleframes?
  • jefflim902jefflim902 Member Posts: 11
    Didn't really experience this on my first try, smooth as butter for me. Hope you've gotten past it.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I am having a great time playing, I even gave them 20 bucks.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

While I'm having a bit of fun, I haven't even hit level 20 yet and things are already starting to get old. Grab mission, run here, complete objective, run here, complete objective, run back to mission giver, finish. Rinse and repeat. Oh, and half the time there's a mountain or plateau between you and the objective, meaning you either have to find a way to climb over it using jump jets, or go all the way around.

The thought of grinding through another 20 levels just to get the frame I want is really putting me off.

Edit: Having more fun with Zombies Monsters Robots, TBH.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

While I'm having a bit of fun, I haven't even hit level 20 yet and things are already starting to get old. Grab mission, run here, complete objective, run here, complete objective, run back to mission giver, finish. Rinse and repeat. Oh, and half the time there's a mountain or plateau between you and the objective, meaning you either have to find a way to climb over it using jump jets, or go all the way around.

The thought of grinding through another 20 levels just to get the frame I want is really putting me off.

Edit: Having more fun with Zombies Monsters Robots, TBH.

Look for players that are doing 'Squad Thumping' in general chat - easy xp, loot and loads of fun image

You get hooked up with the right bunch, whole different experience instead of the hamster wheel at the job board.

Originally posted by strawhat0981
    I am having a great time playing, I even gave them 20 bucks.

I dropped some dollars as well and got the 'Dragonfly BF' and having fun with this class as a healer.

Pretty interesting stuff if your into mmo's with a 'pew pew' factor image