Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried most MMOs - Looking for a quality keeper.

w2pmw2pm Member Posts: 3

I'm looking for a game to invest time into and dedicate myself to instead of hopping around. I've played most MMOs on the market and I can't find one to sink into. A list of the popular MMOs I've played so far:

WoW - Invested years into this and I've moved on. Not into it anymore.

SWTOR - Loved it, but plays too much like WoW in Star Wars universe.

GW2 - Lack of end-game, only 5 skills to use puts me off.

FFXIV - Currently playing this now. Just hit level 30 on my first class and the games slowly boring me. However, best MMO graphically I've ever played. The dynamic weather/day/night system itself can keep me playing this game. Its gorgeous.

The Secret World - Played for a day, clunky combat ticked me off.

Wildstar - It was okay, but playing from Australia I get 200ms+ latency making end-game content very hard to deal with. PVP is also out of the question.

Henceforth, I'm looking for an mmo with immersion, good graphics and  old school tab target combat. Games like GW2, TERA etc is hard to play due to my 200+ms connection from Aus. It has to have PVP, decent population and doesn't matter whether its p2p or f2p. I'd also like a good deal of customization. I'm waiting for the CBT for Archeage to see how that is and also looked into EVE; didn't really appeal to me.

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Age of Conan best MMO combat ever, and looks better than WoW

Still wonder why they didn´t use this awesome combo system in TSW though

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Rift or Lotro?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The last game i really wanted to invest time in was FFXI and because it was a true MMO all about grouping but still had side content if not wanting to group.

All the games now are 100% identical questing games on rails and i am not the least interested in any of these ,so i have chosen to quit playing MMORPG's until something good comes along or something that closer resembles a RPG and a MMO.

I tried to enjoy Hearthstone but as usual Blizzard just disappoints me,they are such a cheap developer,their efforts are weak.Perhaps after HS releases all their new cards "about 2 months from now" i might get back into it.SO i play the odd mixed bag of games for maybe an hour or so then play something else or watch a movie to kill boredom time.

As an rpg i give all these modern games a failing grade as an a MMO a really bad failing grade,they all play like single player games and nothing like a rpg as linear questing is NOT  rp gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by w2pm

GW2 - Lack of end-game, only 5 skills to use puts me off.

GW2 has more than "5 skills to use" - you just need to master weapon swapping, or play an elementalist (which has at least 20, not counting the 5 extra skills on the second bar). :P

There is no real keeper, eventually burnout will rear it's ugly head no matter what MMO you're playing. Especially since you sound like the kind that will race straight to the endgame content and then grow bored.

Maybe try a sandbox MMO and see if those features are a better match for what you want in an MMO.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

I would try Aion.

It is tab targeting, PvP and high population. The website also has a very good tutorial and guide that is actually usefull.

Its free, so give it a try.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Age of Conan best MMO combat ever, and looks better than WoW

Still wonder why they didn´t use this awesome combo system in TSW though

I recently went back to AOC and the graphics sure looked to be honed down badly as it did not look nearly as good as i remember.Also the best combo system ever is in FFXI because it utilizes player>player which is what a MMO is suppose to be about,AOC is more  about playing solo within a group.I did not like the way stats worked in AOC it felt more like FFXIV  does to me ,meaning they seem to never matter much.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Sounds like your in the same boat as me. I think its not so much the game play as finding people you like to play with. I agree with the quest grinders though, ps dont waste your time on Elder scrolls online.

Your choices are as follows, and I have been searching lol.

Uncharted waters online-great game no quest grinding,econmy,meaningful crafting-P2W though. If you want to compete expect to spend 100-500 a month.

Ryzom- One of the best just not to many playing it

Pirates of the burning sea - u would have to like end game being city pvp, where your pvp changes the game.

Dark age of camelot- dont play on EAs server.

Ulitma Online- again dont play on EAs sever

Everquest- Dont play on Sonys server

Star Wars Galxies- Best rpg ever, and community, every one about 2000 of them, are really nice people and get along great.

Path Of Exile- Bad community, great game though, good random crafting and items, no better skill tree out there, ive seen

LOTRO- this is a maybe for you. Its a huge quest grinder, and the crafting is just  one click make crap, where every one makes the same crap, but the community is really nice over there. If you thought SWTOR was to much like WOW, then this is almost a carbon copy of WOW, with LOTR theme.

Dayz Epoch- No quests, good community can get boring though after a month.

Mortal Online- Great game-good graphics-no quests best crafting i have ever seen ever even better than SWG, Animal breeding where you can effect the animal, so if you breed a work horse with a running horse for example, you will get something in between. Not pay 2 win. The only problem with this one, is the community is one of the worst i have ever seen, also the people that run it are one of the worst too. This is prolly the best game i have ever played, if it wasent for the company and people. I would of played it for a long time.

Wurm Online- Great game, if you can handle bad graphics. Community seemed good to me, I dono though. I have read some bad things about it.

I am going to say though, Ryzom sounds like what you want. It has a creature system i think you would like.

Well good luck. I still havent found a MMO i want to stick with. Let me know if you find one :) I would recommend staying away from any big mmo project. Those are all designed to appeal to the masses, and from what you said that is not what you want.

• CrimsonSixCrimsonSix Member UncommonPosts: 42
    You've basically played every major MMO on the market. Any game people suggest in this thread will be more of the same. You could go for something exotic like EVE, Asheron's Call, Darkfall, or DDO, but I doubt any of them will be a "keeper."
  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by cvette

I would try Aion.

It is tab targeting, PvP and high population. The website also has a very good tutorial and guide that is actually usefull.

Aion really is the best all around option out there, and has been for a long time now.

People like to talk about Sandbox this and sandbox that.. w/e. Aion has an actual consumable crafting based economy, a huge world with activities most won't even find the time to fully explore and enjoy. Not to mention it is very competitive and an insane gear climb.. but somehow is still forgiving to new players. Skins and style to the point where no one looks the same. Also the game play most of us are used to and comfortable with.

Probably not the best at anything.. but it is the most developed game with the grandest scale out there.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Nightlite

I would try Aion.

Aion really is the best all around option out there, and has been for a long time now.

People like to talk about Sandbox this and sandbox that.. w/e. Aion has an actual consumable crafting based economy, a huge world with activities most won't even find the time to fully explore and enjoy. Not to mention it is very competitive and an insane gear climb.. but somehow is still forgiving to new players. Skins and style to the point where no one looks the same. Also the game play most of us are used to and comfortable with.

Probably not the best at anything.. but it is the most developed game with the grandest scale out there.

Aion isnt what they are looking for. It has a bunch of bots, its a quest grinder, and the crafting is the same as every other mmo. You find a recipie get the mats and click make over and over and over.  Aion is no where near a sand box. You go from area to area doing the quest hubs. Its the same as every other mmo.

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by Nightlite

I would try Aion.

Aion isnt what they are looking for. It has a bunch of bots, its a quest grinder, and the crafting is the same as every other mmo. You find a recipie get the mats and click make over and over and over.  Aion is no where near a sand box. You go from area to area doing the quest hubs. Its the same as every other mmo.

You've never been an endgame player in Aion.. and that is OK. I don't think I ever said it was a sandbox either.. I said sandbox w/e, there aren't any aside Eve and that isn't even the best description of what a lot of people want. Aion is a large enough world with enough diversity that you aren't instantly bored at max level.. in fact you aren't bored 6 months after reaching max level.

As for crafting.. I don't seem to recall many recent MMOs where crafting or gathering is profitable enough to matter, and considering EVERYTHING in Aion is purchasable with in-game currency.. crafting is more worthwhile even if it is the same, than it is in other mmos.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I don't really have a game suggestion, but a possible solution down the road for your internet speed. I know most of Australia is still using ADSL, and I haven't done any research on speeds to compare, but this looks promising. http://www.google.com/loon/

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71

Sounds like your in the same boat as me. I think its not so much the game play as finding people you like to play with. I agree with the quest grinders though, ps dont waste your time on Elder scrolls online.

Uncharted waters online-great game no quest grinding,econmy,meaningful crafting-P2W though. If you want to compete expect to spend 100-500 a month.

Pirates of the burning sea - u would have to like end game being city pvp, where your pvp changes the game.

Star Wars Galxies- Best rpg ever, and community, every one about 2000 of them, are really nice people and get along great.

Path Of Exile- Bad community, great game though, good random crafting and items, no better skill tree out there, ive seen

LOTRO- this is a maybe for you. Its a huge quest grinder, and the crafting is just  one click make crap, where every one makes the same crap, but the community is really nice over there. If you thought SWTOR was to much like WOW, then this is almost a carbon copy of WOW, with LOTR theme.

Mortal Online- Great game-good graphics-no quests best crafting i have ever seen ever even better than SWG, Animal breeding where you can effect the animal, so if you breed a work horse with a running horse for example, you will get something in between. Not pay 2 win. The only problem with this one, is the community is one of the worst i have ever seen, also the people that run it are one of the worst too. This is prolly the best game i have ever played, if it wasent for the company and people. I would of played it for a long time.

Wurm Online- Great game, if you can handle bad graphics. Community seemed good to me, I dono though. I have read some bad things about it.

I am going to say though, Ryzom sounds like what you want. It has a creature system i think you would like.

Well good luck. I still havent found a MMO i want to stick with. Let me know if you find one :) I would recommend staying away from any big mmo project. Those are all designed to appeal to the masses, and from what you said that is not what you want.

Dat Wall!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

I would try Aion.

High pop? I wasn't even aware it was still breathing. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Viper482

I would try Aion.

It all depends on an the individual's definition of High Population.  Doncha know?  :)

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    In high school I had an important History Project due. So I used 19 army men to reenact a Civil War scene. Luckily I had an extra 99 army men left over in the box so i melted them and used the molten men to decorate a war scene. I used a dot to show areas of vulnerability in a particular armies defense. Even though the civil war predated what many of the army men were holding it was still fun to put guys with flamethrowers, bazooka's and even one with a radio Com out. All in all it was a fun experience that I'd highly recommend.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Viper482

I would try Aion.

The game has been out for quite sometime now and it is still breathing. This report just came out and although it's a new year the game has stayed fairly stable for quite some time. http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/ Someone is still playing to generate that money. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I vote keep on playing WoW. Try rping , help some noobs, coordinate an open world battle and record it to be uploaded to YouTube ... Create your own mini games within wow. If not Wow, then pick up Archeage when it comes out. I will throw an oddball out here too, Defiance - it's f2p now, and there is tons of open quests to go through. You wanted a keeper though and WoW is it, WoW is the keeper, the only keeper.
  • blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    I don't really have a game suggestion, but a possible solution down the road for your internet speed. I know most of Australia is still using ADSL, and I haven't done any research on speeds to compare, but this looks promising. http://www.google.com/loon/

Hehe, US Americans are known for their ingorance regarding geography. Or maybe you just don't know what Google tries to achieve with the Loon project. But your "solution" is really funny :D

Loon ist meant to bring Internet in regions with no infrastructure at all, like huge parts of Africa for example. They want to achieve a minimum coverage for all parts of the world, not replacing existing infrastructure. Australia is not such a developing country. In most parts of this country there is enough conventional infrastructure that these baloons aren't needed.

ADSL is used in many countries (even in the richest ones with the best infrastructure) and hasn't too many disadvantages regarding speed and ping over fibrechannel. It's more than sufficient for gaming. The high latency the OP has in Wildstar is a result of the fact that there aren't any dedicated game servers for this game close to Australia. So he has to connect to the US servers. 200 ms latency for that distance isn't too bad. Anyhow, a few baloons floating over a desert or rain forests aren't a solution for these first world problems :)

Besides: this project is in a very early, experimental state. Noone can say if or when the vision behind this project becomes reality.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Rift or EQ1
  • ErysalazarErysalazar Member Posts: 18

try wildstar, its keeping me sane for weeks now

https://www.youtube.com/user/WildStarOnline

• grindingamergrindingamer Member Posts: 65
    Atlantica Online, join Argos server and you will never look back. 
  • bastibastimaubastibastimau Member Posts: 16
    Been playing Wildstar for a bit now, pleasantly surprised, I'm hooked and will look to be that way for a while. Such multipallyer, much masive, so online, very gameplay Shibe approves 111%.
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Everquest 2 is the only MMORPG worth playing,if you haven't tried it I reccomend doing so on the Antonia Bayle server.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Thank you!  not enough people give credit to Mortal Online the game...community does suck, but I dont PVP, so I just stay in this city that is on a cliff, craft, kill stuff and tame animals...havent gotten to breeding yet.

Also, Ryzom is definitely one of the best games, but it's a little outdated and there are times where you are better off grouping (way better off)...but it is an awesome game.