Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quests in all MMO games have been Generic

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I see this statement a lot now days that Quest in MMOs are generic.

Well I have to ask. What kind of quest entertains you?

What quest are not generic?

What video game had quest that wasnt generic?

And If you want better quest, at lease explain what would make them better.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Runescape is a game where the quests are not generic. I doubt you have played all of the quests in every MMO so it is not fair to generalize.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

My Idea quest system in MMORPG link with game time. Not player's playtime but in game time.

My ideal is make a cycle of time.

The quests from NPC will unlock when time search certain point of the cycle of time.

For example

I make a cycle with 365 day with 1 day in game time = 4h in real life . I will get a cycle of 90 days in real life.

a NPC will unlock quest to hunt wolfs at mid of day 50 in game time.

If player don't finish the quest in 2 day in game time (limit 8h IRL) , the quest will fail and auto delete.

The time limit base on NPC's time . If you meet with NPC at day 51 In game time , you only have 4h left to finish the quest.

The NPC don't have the [ ! ] so you have to talk with them like in classic role playing game

Even if it same hunt wolf quest from same NPC , by difference of time it will give difference "reward" ,

at some point of time , simple wolf hunt quest may turn into super epic quest.

For example when you accept wolf hunt quest at day 205 in game time , the wolf have 20% change to drop some item that use to unlock some quest hidden in some where.

By twist the time quests appear each 6 months or 1 year IRL . it will make player unable to catch the patten of game design , make site guide become total useless .

You raise the quality of quest design to the point nearly impossible to know what happen in next day to players by change the place monster spawn by % .

So even if you accept the quest , you may meet the FAIL .

Of course it still possible to have walk-through page in internet , but it will take a lots work and the info may become useless after 6 months or 1 years .

By difference time and space spam quest , you may at A when quest spam at B , so you even miss the quest.

Each day , you never know what event with start .

This my ideal about MMORPG quest system . 

It total focus on the multiplayer part of massively multiplayer online and the role playing part of the role playing game

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    I liked the difficult quests in early EQ 1, the epic weapon quests for instance.  I've heard people describe modern quests as "tasks" which sounds about right.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

There are only a certain number of quest types you can incorporate into an mmo; but there are different ways of presenting and delivering them, a few examples being: -

• within an interesting story arc as per GW1 or SWTOR. 
    • zone events as per Rift or GW2. 
    • dynamic events as per Rift or GW2. 
    • dungeons (inc. solo dungeons) aka most mmos but delivered particularly well in CoX or DDO. 
    • investigations as per TSW 
    • can't be bothered thinking of more. 
    My point is that just chucking a load of !/? 'kill ten rats' quests at players these days is lazy design.   
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I disagree. Many MMOs have quests that are not generic, SWTOR and TSW (especially TSW) stend out here. Sure, there will allways be quests less or more interesting, but generic? I disagree.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Why doesn't the OP answer his own question?

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Original EQ had the right kind of quests. I played a Monk for most of my time in EQ, so can only reference their quests, but for example they had sash and headband quests which involve traveling to multiple dungeons across the world, finding a mob deep inside that dungeon and killing it for a piece of the quest. That, to me, is more 'quest like', it takes you throughout the world, takes you into dangerous locations that need other peoples help, has you find a specific mob, loot a specific item... and that's not even mentioning the Epic quests, where you had to raid various planes and hunt down rare spawns.

Modern MMO's the quests are like, "Go ten feet that way to the field of specifically placed wolves, kill ten of the wolves and loot their pelts, then return here and hand the pelts over.". It's incredibly stale and uninteresting. And the whole game is populated by these things. Awful awful design.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

In what way do you consider them "generic"? It's hard to answer your questions without knowing the aspect you are referring to. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• yoendrisyoendris Member Posts: 4

Runescape!, with all the hate it gets i still think it's one of the games i had the most fun with pre'06 (quit when they removed wildy PK like everyone else) and i've played wow since vanilla, quests in Runescape felt like an actual adventure, i've tried almost every MMO out there and nothing compares...

just thinking about it makes my mind melt in nostalgia, good times.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

and until a developer breaks that cycle, mmos will keep feeling generic.

¨oh but evey mmo has bad content. Therefore, every new mmo must have the same bad content¨..... seriously.... unless they start breaking that old and ugly pattern, we wont have better PvE leveling experiences.

• SosaBabySosaBaby Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by yoendris

Runescape!, with all the hate it gets i still think it's one of the games i had the most fun with pre'06 (quit when they removed wildy PK like everyone else) and i've played wow since vanilla, quests in Runescape felt like an actual adventure, i've tried almost every MMO out there and nothing compares...

just thinking about it makes my mind melt in nostalgia, good times.

Hey they just added back Legacy mode getting rid of that crappy combat and the wild has been back for sometime. Also they now have oldschool runescape, a version of runescape before that wild/free trade nonsense/EOC.

But like this guy has said runescape has by far the best quest. Some quests take more than a day to finish and most tasks in the quest are not filler. Runescape is a great game and if your are looking for a sandbox-ish world with good quest give it a try.

Bang Bang 3hun oBLA!

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    Original EQ had the right kind of quests. I played a Monk for most of my time in EQ, so can only reference their quests, but for example they had sash and headband quests which involve traveling to multiple dungeons across the world, finding a mob deep inside that dungeon and killing it for a piece of the quest. That, to me, is more 'quest like', it takes you throughout the world, takes you into dangerous locations that need other peoples help, has you find a specific mob, loot a specific item... and that's not even mentioning the Epic quests, where you had to raid various planes and hunt down rare spawns.

Modern MMO's the quests are like, "Go ten feet that way to the field of specifically placed wolves, kill ten of the wolves and loot their pelts, then return here and hand the pelts over.". It's incredibly stale and uninteresting. And the whole game is populated by these things. Awful awful design.

Agreed

EverQuest was so named, I think, because it took forever to complete each quest; and it has tens of thousands of them; according to SOE, many of which have never been found by players.

A simple low level quest involved getting something from an NPC in the nearby woods. Well the NPC was actually far away; near a lake. Getting to him required avoiding a host of hostile creatures. Odds are you died several times just trying to find him. The NPC asks for Milk before he'll cooperate. Finding milk was a quest in itself; it was sold by only one vendor in town; in an out-of-the-way place.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

And still much less boring than grinding tons of 1000 npcs to gain a level like in eq1

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Threads in these forums have become generic.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

without reading much of the thread my opinion on the matter:

Not all MMO's ahve the same quest sytem. There are a few wich divert from it.

Guild wars 2 is one. But those hearts are really quests in disguise wiithout needing to talk to someone, so not really that different.

And TSW now this mmo has a wildly diffrent quest system and alot of the time uses your wordly knowledge to get it. I think they have done questing right but instead of using real world experience. Finding clues stuff and lore inside the game would be much more fun. Again everything just given in clues on where to go no exact locations.

Now what id like to see is EQOA system. it gave a couple quest every level. (lets say 5) so you get 5 tasks with story each level mini quest chains leading u trough certain area's (almost never gave armor exept for the big ones). These where accompanied by massive chains with alot of hard things u needed to acomplish rewarded with an epic reward.

So now what i would like to see is 1 of 3 With special quests should not be 

1 remove quests entirely.

2 Give a few meaningfull quests like in EQOA class quests epic questline for your armor and some small story follow up chains.

3 TSW system where u'd have to think where ur going (this also aplies to 2) Remove the abomanation wich is meaningless tasks (aka kill 10 rats, deliver 5 furs etc)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Original EQ had the right kind of quests. I played a Monk for most of my time in EQ, so can only reference their quests, but for example they had sash and headband quests which involve traveling to multiple dungeons across the world, finding a mob deep inside that dungeon and killing it for a piece of the quest. That, to me, is more 'quest like', it takes you throughout the world, takes you into dangerous locations that need other peoples help, has you find a specific mob, loot a specific item...

that little bit sounds better than the crappy task collection agency mmos have become. The problem is, how did that dangerous monster got his claws on that item and ended up at the far end of that dark and deadly dungeon? there needs to be a good story behind it. If the item just magically appears there for the sake of making you loot it then thats equally as bad as what we have today.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Anyone saying that kind of nonsense had never played Asheron's Call 1.

I generally find the OP's threads totally useless, but this one is good, the question was well asked and I'm eager to read the answers of some of the regulars here who bash quests everytime they can.

I'll be following it.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    I disagree. Many MMOs have quests that are not generic, SWTOR and TSW (especially TSW) stend out here. Sure, there will allways be quests less or more interesting, but generic? I disagree.

While I greatly enjoyed my stay in SW:TOR, the quest were definitely "canned", aka generic. Everything was pretty much straightforward, and even marked on the map. Kill this, kill that, come back, bingo! Shiny new gear.

In AC1, people needed 2 months to figure out the totality of the Aerfalle quest. Today's gamers would cry like no tomorrow on the forums the second day after the release. That's was non generic questing, requiring a whole community to figure out all the details.

I think it depends on how you look at it. SWTOR for instance has one quest per class that takes a while to get through and is handled really well (the class quest). There are also some side quests that have a much better structure than your typical generic task...

TSW has these as well, same could be said for AOC or ESO.

ARe all games filled with generic quests? Yes...

However there are ways to get away with that, while still keeping a fairly interesting experience intact.

As for AC1 I'd first have to know how said quest actually worked.. Just because it takes 2 months to figure out, that doesn't mean it's worth figuring out.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

The statement cannot possibly be true.

Generic is a term which describes something that applies 'generally', but not to 'all'.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picarddisagree.

In AC1, people needed 2 months to figure out the totality of the Aerfalle quest. Today's gamers would cry like no tomorrow on the forums the second day after the release. That's was non generic questing, requiring a whole community to figure out all the details.

I love it. More of that please!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Sovrath

care to explain how those 2 month quet worked?

did they have cooldown or something?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Really, desperation,,,, 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Originally posted by MMOExposed I see this statement a lot now days that Quest in MMOs are generic. Well I have to ask. What kind of quest entertains you? What quest are not generic? What video game had quest that wasnt generic? And If you want better quest, at lease explain what would make them better.

Spoken like someone who never experienced Asheron's Call. Fortunately for me my first MMO experience was AC. Well I guess it could be more unfortunate for me since I realize another MMO will never go the AC quest route. I could see if I got my start out in WoW or one the millions of clones were quests as they are now called are the norm, but I remember back when Quests were epic, took hours, offered serious challenges, if failed would require a waiting period of up to 30 days to retry, and gave amazing loot and experience. Oh do I wish an MMO would do so again.

Here is an example of some of the walkthroughs required for some of the quests in AC:

Castle of Lord Mhoire Quest http://acpedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Lord_Mhoire_Quest

Jump to: navigation, search

Walk Through ___ Maps ___ Items ___ XP ___ Titles ___ Images ___ Lore & Dialog ___ Notes

Quest Summary

Quest Type: Solo/Group
    Start Location: Graveyard
    Timer: 20 hours

Level Restrictions: 125+
    Level Suggestions: 200+
    Contracts: Contract for Mhoire Castle

Rewards Summary

Items:
    Full details here 2 Ancient Mhoire Coins
    2 use Legendary Key
    MMDs: 6
    Luminance: 15,000
    Max XP:
    Full details here 1,695,225,700
    Titles:
    Full details here Knight of the Southwest Tower
    Knight of the Northwest Tower
    Knight of the Southeast Tower
    Champion of House Mhoire

Related Articles

Introduced In: Gaining Ground
    Updated In: The Risen Princess
    Balance of Power
    Spring 2014
    Related Quests: Noble Remains Kill Task
    Guardian Statue Kill Task
    Kidnapped Handmaiden
    Oubliette of Mhoire Castle Quest
    Paragon Weapons

Lord Mhoire's throne, where the Shade of Lord Rytheran appears.

Quest Overview

Access to the floating Mhoire Castle has finally been achieved. Secure the wards of three guardians in Graveyard before entering the castle to complete several trials, after which you are able to enter the Great Hall and confront the Shade of Lord Rytheran. There are also a few miniquests inside the castle. Rewards include Ancient Mhoire Coins, substantial xp, and multiple pulls on a tier 8 loot chest.

Walk Through

Graveyard (Castle Flagging)

Important: This step must be accomplished by everyone in your party individually.
    1. Use the Ancient Stones at 66.5S 44.7W to get the Strange Jewel and a lore item. The lore item can be translated by Kuyiza in Zaikhal (optional).
    The Ancient Stones are located in the "Burning Woods" area of the Graveyard. They are nearby the bunker in that area.

2. The Strange Jewel must be used in 3 locations in the Graveyard to spawn bosses that must be killed in order to collect 3 candle items. Each boss spawns along with some accompanying minions. The minions respawn very quickly, so it is best to focus on attacking the boss.
    Each boss drops 3 candle items. Each person flagging needs one of each of the candles. So if you have more than 3 people flagging, you will need to kill more than once.
    There is no indication of where you should use the Strange Jewel. You can use it repeatedly until you find the correct spot.
    It is easier and recommended to do the flagging during the daytime.

3. Use Strange Jewel near the southwest edge of the Graveyard at 66.6S 45.2W to spawn Lord Hendrel. The location is on the very edge of the "Burning Woods" area of the Graveyard.
    Lord Hendrel is similar to a Wight Blade Sorcerer and spawns with several Wights.

4. Use Strange Jewel near the southwest bunker of the five bunkers near the GY Colo building at 65.0S 44.2W to spawn Lady Saliane inside the bunker. The bunker is the one directly across from the bunker for Count Phainor's Amulet.
    Lady Saliane is similar to a Spectral Dread. She spawns with several Corrupted Grave Frosts, which have low HP but are very dangerous when you are cold vuln'd.

5. Use Strange Jewel on the far edge of the Graveyard at 65.1S 45.5W to spawn Lord Trimere. Lord Trimere is similar to a Pyre Champion and spawns with several Pyre Minions.

6. One by one, each person should hand all three items to the left (west) gargoyle statue at 64.6S 44.1W in order (Saliane, Hendrel, and then Trimere). The gargoyle to the right (east) is the one used for GY Colo and will not accept the items.

7. A blue portal will briefly open behind the statue. If you've handed all three items in, enter the portal to continue. Note: This is a permanent flag, anytime in the future you can use the statue to reopen the portal. Tip: Handing in the candles can be repeated each day for xp and a graveyard coin, if desired.
    8. The portal will drop you in the ruins of Mhoire Castle up on the hill. There are various portals around the ruins which go to the different towers of the castle. For first timers, the only portal which works is the northeast tower portal. The Defender's Mark of House Mhoire burns with blue flame and you are transported to the Northeast Tower of Mhoire Castle. Lore Note: From the Gaining Ground event until Retributions, the portal transported you to the Mhoire Castle courtyard which floated in the sky. However, as part of the Retributions event, the courtyard fell and was destroyed on the hills below.

Northeast Tower (First Timers Only)

8C03.png

The entire castle is connected by hallways (see map), and the first time you run the quest, you must start in the northeast tower. Once you've completed the quest the first, you can use the individual portals around the castle to access each tower trial quickly. This guide breaks down each trial individually (by tower), and you can complete each of them in any order you choose.
    Tip: If you plan on using a flame protection rare, it is recommended to complete the Southeast and Southwest trials together, so you can benefit from the rare in both trials.
    1. Speak to the Shade of Antemy to begin the quest. He assigns you three trials to complete, one in each of the remaining three towers.
    2. [OPTIONAL] Speak to the Shade of Fordroth and the Shade of Ormend to flag for two additional kill tasks. Note: These kill tasks can be repeated every 20 hours for a coin and XP.

Southeast Tower - Flames of Courage
    1. From the Northeast tower drop, stick left until you reach a large room; take the SE corner door then stick left into through to another large room; take the NW door then stick left to the first test.
    2. Talk to the Guardian of Mhoire statue in the middle of the room to receive a Mhoire Sword of Courage. Note: The room filled with Flame Guardians and high damage Flaming Skulls. If you get hit by one, heal immediately as a 2nd hit will likely kill you. Tip 1: Watch the patterns and you can avoid most Flaming Skulls. Tip 2: If you use an Inferno's Jewel (flame protection rare), the Flaming Skulls will not harm you at all.
    3. Once you've received the sword, kill 10 Flame Guardians and loot a Crystallized Blue Flame from each of their corpses. Note: The corpses (indicated by a yellow dot on the map) only last 1 to 3 seconds, so you must loot after each kill.
    4. Once you've collected 10 flames, speak to the Guardian of Mhoire Statue to complete the trial: Defender, you have succeeded in the Test of the Southeast Tower. You have been granted the title Knight of the Southeast Tower!

Movie Guide by Xeo (Teresh of MT)

<youtube>TDuogmyNQLo</youtube>

Northwest Tower - Rite of Wisdom
    1. From the northeast tower drop, stick left to a large room and take the NW door then stick left through to another large room; take the SE door and stick left to the next test.
    2. For this test you will be harassed by several Guardian Statues that respawn as fast as you can kill them. They spam war magic, so you will need to be quick or have someone else heal you while you solve the puzzle.
    3. Talk to the Guardian of Mhoire statue in the middle of the room to receive a block of green text similar to the following (Each clue is different): DJZZKKE FBKV PTJ EKZCABKN MTNK KLZB OJLNE CV TNEKN CD PTJN ZBTNK XBK WCNDX XTJZB FCVED FBKNK WLMZTVD DTLN - Air (West) XBK VKUX BKLN ZNLDBCVO FLHKD TV DBTNK - Water (South) XBK XBCNE DKKQ ELIZCVO WMLIKD XBLX NTLN - Fire (North) XBK MLDX WCVE DXNTVOKDX ITJVXLCV ZTNK - Earth (East) RLVCDBIKVX WTN L ZBTCZK ITDX ATTN DJZZKDD LVE XBKV C ILNQ XBK ETTN
    4. Use each of the four stationary statues located around the room that correspond with the clues above. Important: You must use the statues in the order that you read them in your clue. If you use the statues out of order (you will be portaled to the start), or run out of time, simply talk to the statue again and you will be given a new order and the task starts over. Tip: After receiving your clue, run to the side hallway so you can safely identify the order of the statues you need to use. Guardian of Fire is the North statue.
    Guardian of Water is the South statue.
    Guardian of Earth is the East statue.
    Guardian of Air is the West statue.

5. If you use all 4 statues in the correct order, you will receive a message stating that you have completed the task, and awarded the title: Defender, you have succeeded in the Test of the Northwest Tower. You have been granted the title Knight of the Northwest Tower!

Southwest Tower - Flames of Virtue

Guardian of Mhoire Room Flames Map.png
    1. From the drop of the northeast tower, stick left to a large room and take the NW door. From here, stick left to another large room; use the SW door then stick left to another large room. Finally, take the NE door and stick left to find the third test.
    2. You will enter a room with high damage Flaming Skulls (similar to the Souteast tower). These skulls can one or two hit you, so be careful to avoid them! Tip: If you use an Inferno's Jewel (flame protection rare), you can avoid taking damage from the skulls.

3. Talk to the Guardian of Mhoire statue in the middle of the room to receive a Mhoire Sword of Virtue, and a green message dictating which flame to drop it in. Note: The map (see right) shows the names and locations of the flames.

4. Drop the sword into the flame that corresponds with the message you received. If you're correct, you'll receive yet another message, indicating where to drop the sword next. Note: It is possible to receive the same statue twice in a row.

5. Once you've dropped the sword into a number of correct flames, you will receive a message telling you to bring the sword back to the Guardian of Mhoire statue. Note: If you hand the sword to the wrong statue, simply speak with the Guardian of Mhoire again to get a new sword and start again.

6. Return the sword to the Guardian of Mhoire, and if you've done the test correctly, you will receive a message indicating you have passed the test: Defender, you have succeeded in the Test of the Southwest Tower. You have been granted the title Knight of the Southwest Tower!

<youtube>aQvlPwQEBOM</youtube>

Great Hall - Cleansing the Throne

Important: If you die while fighting the Shade of Lord Rytheran, you will not be able to respawn him on your own. If you speak to the Shade of Antemy, he will tell you that you must abandon the quest and try again in two weeks, or else go with someone else to spawn him. At this point, your best bet is to get someone else to spawn the boss, and simply loot Rytheran's Jeweled Ring when you've killed him.
    1. Talk to the Shade of Antemy at the northeast tower drop to flag for the Mhoire Castle Great Hall Portal (across the room from him).
    2. Enter the Mhoire Castle Great Hall Portal and you'll be in a series of rooms with various doors. Take the following: 1. South double door
    2. NE double door
    3. East then North corner
    4. NW double door
    5. NW double door
    6. North then West corner (killable doors)
    7. SW double door
    8. Head south through the double door (killable doors), and enter the Mhoire Throne Room

3. Use the Ancient Throne to spawn the Shade of Lord Rytheran and a horde of his Wights.
    4. Each person in your group must loot a Rytheran's Jeweled Ring (drops 9) from his corpse. Note: For ranged characters this is solo-able, use the Throne and hop onto a pillar.
    Tip: The Shade of Lord Rytheran (Undead, weak to fire/acid/pierceSB) will spawn along with numerous GY creatures. The various GY creatures will respawn reather quickly in the spot they are killed. Make use of doors in the vicinity as you see appropriate.

5. Head back to the Northeast tower and speak to the Shade of Antemy to receive your rewards and title: Shade of Antemy tells you, "In life I was the Seneschal of House Mhoire. In ancient times I walked these halls and served Lord Cynreft Mhoire." You hand over 10 of your Rytheran's Jeweled Rings. Shade of Antemy tells you, "Well done, champion and defender of House Mhoire. You have cleansed the throne of House Mhoire, and countless spirits within these halls rest peacefully." Shade of Antemy tells you, "You have proven yourself a hundred fold, and I am in your debt. The corruption will remain clear of the throne for some time. Take these items as thanks." You have been awarded the title Champion of House Mhoire! You've earned 1,695,225,700 experience. You've earned 15,000 Luminance. Shade of Antemy gives you 2 Ancient Mhoire Coins. Shade of Antemy gives you Legendary Key.
    6. The legendary chests are located with the Sealed Treasury Vaults beyond the Mhoire Throne Room. So you must go back to the Great Hall and beyond the throne to use the keys. Also note that the legendary chests are in separate rooms for each type of chest (Armor, Weapon, Magic).

<youtube>114qWFgowFA</youtube>

Maps

Dungeon Coordinates Wiki Map ACmaps Other Quests
    Mhoire Castle Courtyard 64.6S 44.1W 462D.png 462D.png -- -- --
    Mhoire Castle -- 8C03.png 8C03.png -- -- --
    Mhoire Castle Great Hall -- 8C03.png 8C03.png -- -- --

Items

Quest Items
    Ancient Journal Icon.png
    Ancient Journal Translated Tomb Writings Icon.png
    Translated Tomb Writings Strange Jewel Icon.png
    Strange Jewel Lady Saliane's Brand Icon.png
    Lady Saliane's Brand
    Lord Hendrel's Brand Icon.png
    Lord Hendrel's Brand Lord Trimere's Brand Icon.png
    Lord Trimere's Brand Mhoire Signet Ring Icon.png
    Mhoire Signet Ring Ancient Throne Icon.png
    Ancient Throne
    Rytheran's Jeweled Ring Icon.png
    Rytheran's Jeweled Ring Sealed Treasury Vault Icon.png
    Sealed Treasury Vault

Rewards
    Ancient Mhoire Coin Icon.png
    Ancient Mhoire Coin Legendary Key Icon.png
    Legendary Key

Ancient Stones

Experience Rewards

Note: The brands are 6 day timer, the ring is 13 days.

Task Required Max Experience Percentage & Level Cap
    Give the three brands to statue. 100,000,000xp
    Fixed XP

Speak to Antemy after looting Rytheran's Ring. 1,695,225,700xp
    50% up to level 275

See Level Costs for per level information.

Title Rewards

Task Required Title Reward
    Complete Southwest Tower Task Knight of the Southwest Tower

Complete Northwest Tower Task Knight of the Northwest Tower

Complete Southeast Tower Task Knight of the Southeast Tower

Speak to Antemy after looting Rytheran's Ring. Champion of House Mhoire

Or what about:

http://acpedia.org/wiki/Lady_Aerfalle_Quest

Lady Aerfalle Quest

Jump to: navigation, search

Walk Through ___ Maps ___ Items ___ XP ___ Images ___ Lore & Dialog ___ Notes

Quest Summary

Quest Type: Solo/Group
    Start Location: Crater Lake Village
    Timer: 20 hours

Level Restrictions: Easy/Hard: 45
    Uber: 150
    Level Suggestions: Easy/Hard: 60+
    Uber: 180+

Rewards Summary

Items:
    Full details here Aerfalle's Pallium/Aerfalle's Supreme Pallium/Aerfalle's Mana-infused Pallium
    Ashbane/Superior Ashbane/Reforged Ashbane
    Staff of Aerfalle/War Staff of Aerfalle/Mana-infused Acid War Staff of Aerfalle
    Unreadable Scroll
    Black Fire Atlan Stone
    Enhanced Black Fire Atlan Stone
    Ring of the Watchman
    Strengthened Mana Forge Key
    MMDs: Easy: ?
    Hard: ?
    Uber: 12
    Luminance: Easy/Hard: None
    Uber: 15,000
    Max XP:
    Full details here Easy: 13,765,337
    Hard: 22,879,999
    Uber: 125,000,000
    Titles: None

Related Articles

Introduced In: To Raise a Banner of Flame
    Updated In: Hollow Victory,
    Hidden Vein,
    From the Darkness Born,
    Foolish Ambition,
    Old Ghosts,
    The Risen Princess
    Related Quests: Sword of Lost Light Quest
    Atlan Weapons Quest
    Isparian Weapons Quest
    Menhir Research

Aerfalle Keep Library

Quest Overview

This quest requires lockpick to complete.

The Lady Aerfalle Quest is the major quest associated with Aerlinthe Isle. In order to reach the final dungeon, an extensive set up is required. This is often done by one player (who has lockpick) and then the rest of the group joins before heading to the final dungeon. There are 3 difficulty versions of the quest. Only 9 keys are dropped by Lady Aerfalle, so only 9 people can get rewards per run. The uber version of the quest has an additional dungeon and is limited to a locked fellowship of level 150+ players.

This quest has ties to the Sword of Lost Light Quest, Atlan and Isparian upgrades, and Menhir Research. These portions of the quest are optional.

There is a dispel trap inside of Aerfalle Keep which can dispel all buffs. It is possible to avoid the trap using a jump. If your group contains players who cannot yet fully buff themselves, be aware that you will need someone to rebuff them if they fail to avoid the trap.

One of the largest and oldest quests in the game, the Lady Aerfalle Quest is a true classic and is considered by many to be one of the greatest quests in the history of Asheron's Call.

Walk Through

Part 1: Preparation

These steps can be done alone or with a smaller group, there are no rewards and participation is not essential for being a part of the later sections of this quest.
    1. Go to the Crater Caves Dungeon at 66.7N 12.5E. At the bottom of the dungeon near the forges, collect the Pyreal Forge Bellows laying on the ground. Route: See Crater Lake Village for route. Many portal bots often have a portal tie to Crater.

2. Travel to Aerlinthe Isle. If you have done the quest before, use Aerlinthe Recall, otherwise you can get there by handing a D Note to Garaena the Emissary at 87.6S, 65.6W, just east of Candeth Keep. Alternatively, you can hand a C Note to Faladha the Emissary, an undead NPC located inside Chalicmere Castle.

3. From the Aerlinthe drop, follow the inner harbor beach around to the harbor's northwest corner (87.7N 44.4E). Go due west up the slope to 88.0N 43.4E then follow the ledge that wraps around the mountain to the north and enter the Tenkarrdun Foundry at 88.8N 42.8E.
    4. Retrieve the Sluice Gate Bar from the Foundry. Lockpick is required. Note: See map for location of the Sluice Gate Bar. You will need to unlock one door and pull a lever to open one door to reach it. The lever door does not stay open for long, so be quick!
    Tip: The dungeon has several exit portals which drop at different locations. One portal in particular drops at 88.6N 42.4E, near your next destination. This portal is at the very bottom of the dungeon, so you will need to backtrack after getting the bar and pull 2 levers to open the doors to the bottom of the dungeon (see map for details). Alternatively, you can take any exit portal and make a longer run to the next location.

5. Run to the Aerlinthe Reservoir at 85.5N 43.4E.
    6. Enter the dungeon and proceed down to the bottom.
    7. If you are planning/considering doing the easy version of the quest, you must pick up one Sacrificial Dagger in this dungeon. It is behind a locked door just before you get to the large downward sloping room (see map for details). Only one dagger is needed per run. Note that the dagger is Attuned and Bonded, so whoever loots the dagger must also go on the rest of the quest.
    8. At the bottom of the reservoir behind a locked door (322) is a portal to the Aerlinthe Lower Reservoir, use this portal.
    9. Run to the bottom of the Lower Reservoir and hand the Sluice Gate Bar to the Repair Golem. The golem appears as an NPC (white dot on the radar). Giving the bar to the golem officially starts the quest and causes the Smithing Golem to spawn in the Tenkarrdun Foundry. Tip: There is an important jump near the end, when you come to a shaft facing west. There is a small grate you need to hit or you'll fall to the very bottom of the shaft and there is no way back except running back to the dungeon from Aerlinthe drop. To hit the grate, jump normally towards the SW corner of the shaft, you'll slide down the corner and hit the grate.
    Note: If the golem is NOT there, it means the quest is in progress, or someone has killed the watchman within the last 3 hours. You are able to log out in the dungeon, so if the Repair Golem is not there, you can log out and then finish the preparation after he has respawned.

10. After giving the bar to the Repair Golem, jump through the left wall opening to get to the exit portal.
    11. Run back to the Tenkarrdun Foundry and head all the way to the bottom of the dungeon. You will need to pull 2 levers and unlock 2 doors to get there. The lever doors do not stay open for long, so be quick!
    12. At the very bottom, give the Pyreal Forge Bellows to the Smithing Golem. This causes the Tenkarrdun Hellfire to spawn in the crater on Aerlinthe. It also causes a lava animation to happen near the Smithing Golem.
    13. At this point, the entire group should meet up to continue the quest. If desired, use one of the exit portals in the dungeon and then run back to the Aerlinthe drop.

Part 2: Infusions and Relic Town
    1. Gather your group and get everyone to Aerlinthe. Run around the harbor and then up the hill to enter the crater to the north.
    2. Kill the Tenkarrdun Hellfire located in the crater near 90.3N 46.3E. Killing this Hellfire causes the Relic Watchman to spawn in Relic Town (an undead town on Aerlinthe). It also causes the Mount Esper Firestorm to spawn. [OPTIONAL] Sword of Lost Light upgrades: If you are getting the Sword of Lost Light upgrades, loot a Red Fire Infusion from the corpse of the Tenkarrdun Hellfire (drops 9). If you are doing just the upgrades and not completing the rest of the Lady Aerfalle quest, you can then proceed directly to Crater Lake Village where the Mount Esper Firestorm has spawned. Otherwise, this can be done after completing the Lady Aerfalle quest. Note that if you are not completing the rest of the Lady Aerfalle Quest, it is good practice to proceed to Relic Town and kill the Relic Watchman anyway, so the quest will properly reset for the next group.
    1.Head to Crater Lake Village and then go to the middle of the lake and kill the Mount Esper Firestorm. Loot a White Fire Infusion (drops 9). Killing the firestorm causes the Mount Lethe Hellfire to spawn.
    2.Head to Mount Lethe in the Direlands and kill the Mount Lethe Hellfire. Loot a Blue Fire Infusion (drops 9).
    3.See Sword of Lost Light Quest for details on using the infusions and further upgrades.

3.[OPTIONAL] Near the Tenkarrdun Hellfire is a Behemoth of Tenkarrdun at 90.0N 46.3E. When killed, the Behemoth drops 9 Black Boulders. These can be given to a Stone Collector for a Black Fire Atlan Stone, which can be used to upgrade an Atlan or Isparian Weapon with a Major Stone in it. Note that the Enhanced Black Fire Atlan Stone is part of the reward for the Uber version of the quest. You need both the Black Fire and the Enhanced Black Fire stones to fully upgrade an Atlan/Isparian weapon.
    4. After killing the Hellfire, head south again to the bay, and follow the path around the bay to the west. Eventually you will come to Relic Town.
    5. In Relic Town it is important to ensure all of your group is present before killing the Relic Watchman. Groups often gather on top of the buildings to avoid the many enemies. It is safest to not kill enemies to avoid the risk of killing the Watchman by mistake. Occasionally it can take a few minutes after killing the Hellfire for the Watchman to spawn.

6. When everyone is ready, kill the Relic Watchman and take the portal to Aerfalle Keep which opens at 86.4N 45.4E. The portal only stays open for a few minutes, so use it quickly!

Part 3: Aerlinthe Keep and Lady Aerfalle
    1. Once inside Aerfalle Keep, you have 90 minutes to complete the quest. Lockpick is required.
    2. Directly ahead from the drop is a door. Behind the door is a short hallway and another door. Within the hallway is a dispel trap. Use a small jump just inside the first door to avoid it! Anyone who misses the jump will likely need to rebuff.
    3. If doing the easy version of the quest, hand the Sacrificial Dagger to the Ghost of Dylaeral (see map for details). This causes the easiest boss to spawn.
    4. If doing the hard version of the quest, nothing special needs to be done before proceeding to the end.
    5. If doing the uber version of the quest, go to the chest rewards room and get a Nexus-keyed Mana Shard from the altar. Then backtrack and give it to the Ghost of Galaeral. This locks your fellowship and causes the portal to Aerfalle's Sanctum to spawn.
    6. Proceed through the Keep using lockpick and levers to open doors (see map for details). All versions of the quest go to the same room where either a boss or a portal is waiting.

Easy Version
    1. Kill Aerfalle's Weakened Apprentice and loot an Ashen Key (drops 9).
    2. Backtrack to the lever room with the Infernos and use the key on Lady of Aerlinthe's Chest.
    3. Loot all the rewards from the chest (loot will pile up if you don't loot it all).

Hard Version
    1. Kill Lady Aerfalle's Apprentice and loot an Ornate Ashen Key (drops 9).
    2. Backtrack to the lever room with the Infernos and use the key on Lady of Aerlinthe's Ornate Chest.
    3. Loot all the rewards from the chest (loot will pile up if you don't loot it all).

Uber Version
    1. In the final room there will be a portal to Aerfalle's Sanctum. You must click on the portal to use it. Aerfalle's Sanctum is a "no log" dungeon, so if you log out or disconnect you will be sent to your lifestone and will be unable to rejoin the quest.

2. The enemies in this dungeon are considerably more difficult than the enemies up to this point. Proceed slowly and with caution! There are some rooms which have traps that cause more enemies to spawn. Beware of these and continue moving forward to avoid getting hung up.
    3. Proceed through the dungeon, going down whenever possible until you reach a ledge that overlooks Lady Aerfalle.
    4. There are several strategies for fighting Lady Aerfalle. If your group is mostly missile weapon and mage characters, it can be safest to simply kill her from the ledge above. Otherwise you can fight her in the throne room below or move into the hallway behind the throne for more protection.
    5. Lady Aerfalle has high health and defense, and casts many debuffs. She can also counter-vuln and dispel vulns on herself, so it is generally best to use rended weapons.
    6. Kill Lady Aerfalle and loot an Embossed Ashen Key (drops 9), and Lady Aerfalle's Charm (drops 9) from her corpse.
    7. [OPTIONAL] Behind the throne is a Menhir ring which is used for part of the Menhir Research quest. The vortex causes massive damage, so be quick if using it.
    8. Take the hallway behind the throne and hand Lady Aerfalle's Charm to the Ghost of Galaeral for luminance rewards. Note: Ghost of Galaeral despawns after 5 min so be sure to turn in right away.

9. Use the Embossed Ashen Key to loot the chest behind the Ghost of Galaeral.

Part 4: Rewards
    1. Give whichever Token you looted to Kuyiza bint Zayi the Translator in Zaikhal for an experience reward (and Strengthened Mana Forge Key for Uber version).
    2. Give the Unreadable Scroll to Kuyiza bint Zayi the Translator as well and she will teach you Aerlinthe Recall (level 6 item spell).
    3.[OPTIONAL] The Ashbane sword can be given to Leikotha for an additional small experience reward if desired. Route: Take the Yinar portal in Samsur at 0.9S 18.9E then run west to the supulcher at 10.1S 31.3E.
    Note: Leikotha portals you to Subway when you hand her the sword.

4. The staff and the robe cannot be turned in for any sort of rewards. They can be kept or given to a Town Crier.

Maps

Dungeon Coordinates Wiki Map ACmaps Other Quests
    Crater Caves Dungeon -- -- 019A -- --
    Tenkarrdun Foundry -- -- 0116 -- --
    Aerlinthe Reservoir -- -- 02EE -- --
    Aerlinthe Lower Reservoir -- -- 02ED -- --
    Aerfalle Keep -- -- 01F5 -- --
    Aerfalle's Sanctum -- B5F0.png B5F0.png -- -- --

Items

Easy Rewards
    Aerfalle's Token Icon.png
    Aerfalle's Token Unreadable Scroll Icon.png
    Unreadable Scroll Aerfalle's Pallium Icon.png
    Aerfalle's Pallium Staff of Aerfalle Icon.png
    Staff of Aerfalle
    Ashbane Icon.png
    Ashbane

Hard Rewards
    Aerfalle's Ornate Token Icon.png
    Aerfalle's Ornate Token Unreadable Scroll Icon.png
    Unreadable Scroll Aerfalle's Supreme Pallium Icon.png
    Aerfalle's Supreme Pallium War Staff of Aerfalle Icon.png
    War Staff of Aerfalle
    Superior Ashbane Icon.png
    Superior Ashbane

Uber Rewards
    Aerfalle's Embossed Token Icon.png
    Aerfalle's Embossed Token Unreadable Scroll Icon.png
    Unreadable Scroll Aerfalle's Mana-infused Pallium Icon.png
    Aerfalle's Mana-infused Pallium Mana-infused Acid War Staff of Aerfalle Icon.png
    Mana-infused Acid War Staff of Aerfalle
    Reforged Ashbane Icon.png
    Reforged Ashbane Enhanced Black Fire Atlan Stone Icon.png
    Enhanced Black Fire Atlan Stone

Side Rewards
    Red Fire Infusion Icon.png
    Red Fire Infusion Blue Fire Infusion Icon.png
    Blue Fire Infusion White Fire Infusion Icon.png
    White Fire Infusion Black Fire Atlan Stone Icon.png
    Black Fire Atlan Stone
    Ring of the Watchman Icon.png
    Ring of the Watchman

Quest Items
    Sluice Gate Bar Icon.png
    Sluice Gate Bar Pyreal Forge Bellows Icon.png
    Pyreal Forge Bellows Black Boulder Icon.png
    Black Boulder Sacrificial Dagger Icon.png
    Sacrificial Dagger
    Nexus-keyed Mana Shard Icon.png
    Nexus-keyed Mana Shard Ashen Key Icon.png
    Ashen Key Ornate Ashen Key Icon.png
    Ornate Ashen Key Embossed Ashen Key Icon.png
    Embossed Ashen Key
    Lady Aerfalle's Charm Icon.png
    Lady Aerfalle's Charm Lady of Aerlinthe's Chest Icon.png
    Lady of Aerlinthe's Chest Lady of Aerlinthe's Ornate Chest Icon.png
    Lady of Aerlinthe's Ornate Chest Lady of Aerlinthe's Embossed Chest Icon.png
    Lady of Aerlinthe's Embossed Chest

Untranslated Texts
    Charred Book Icon.png
    Charred Book Sheets of Paper (Aerfalle) Icon.png
    Sheets of Paper (Aerfalle) Singed Note Icon.png
    Singed Note

Translated Texts
    Aerfalle's Letter Icon.png
    Aerfalle's Letter Aerlinthe Record Icon.png
    Aerlinthe Record Smith's Note Icon.png
    Smith's Note

Experience Rewards

Task Required Max Experience Percentage & Level Cap
    Turn in Ashbane to Leikotha 13,765,337xp
    20% up to level 100

Turn in Superior Ashbane to Leikotha 13,765,337xp
    20% up to level 100

Turn in Reforged Ashbane to Leikotha 50,000,000xp
    ??% up to level ??

Turn in Aerfalle's Token to Kuyiza bint Zayi the Translator 15,000,000xp
    ??% up to level ??

Turn in Aerfalle's Ornate Token to Kuyiza bint Zayi the Translator 55,000,000xp
    ??% up to level ??

Turn in Aerfalle's Embossed Token to Kuyiza bint Zayi the Translator 160,000,000xp
    ??% up to level ??

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Check my post above.  This was the walkthrough, I remember it taking my Leafcull server 2 months to figure out Aerfalle quest and the Olthoi Queen Hive + Bells quest about 3 months before it was broken (I.e. cracked, solved, figured out).  Asheron's Call released quests like this on a monthly basis for 10+ years.  Some of them were generic but most were memorable and challenging. Best MMO ever made, hands down.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I see this statement a lot now days that Quest in MMOs are generic.

Well I have to ask. What kind of quest entertains you?

What quest are not generic?

What video game had quest that wasnt generic?

And If you want better quest, at lease explain what would make them better.

The "click quest, click accept and run to marker on map" type of players might find quests generic.

And of course every MMORPG out here does have some of these generic quests but overall there are some MMORPG that offer more quality quests then the generic once.

Oh and when entering a sandbox game to me quests are just a backdrop because in a sandbox the soul of the game is up to it's players. Unfortunaly even in sandbox games people will complain about quests while ignoring the heart of the game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Check my post above.  This was the walkthrough, I remember it taking my Leafcull server 2 months to figure out Aerfalle quest and the Olthoi Queen Hive + Bells quest about 3 months before it was broken (I.e. cracked, solved, figured out).  Asheron's Call released quests like this on a monthly basis for 10+ years.  Some of them were generic but most were memorable and challenging. Best MMO ever made, hands down.

Everyone's favorite MMO is the best MMO ever made..It usually boils down to whichever one they spent the most time in back then. Speaking on interesting features & content options, I'd have to say SWG was the best MMO ever, hands down.

Having never played AC I'd have to wonder why it was never repeated, as there's always another side to every fan's nostalgic story. As there are plenty to look at in SWG's case on why we don't see it in other games.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson