Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat in DCUO

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Is combat in DCUO,  well...difficult?  I'm generally not much of a fan of action combat, but I feel the pull of a super hero MMO.

Thanks!

Comments

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Isn't it free to play? I mean, you don't have to buy it to try it.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• bamajrbamajr Member UncommonPosts: 1
    To me combat is not that bad, sometimes the targeting can be a pain but besides that it just depends on you and how you want to play.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Are any power sets easier to play than others?  They use keyboard combos for special attacks, right??
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    As far as action combat goes, DCUO is pretty top notch.  It was one of the first MMOs I have seen use a block button.  Not to mention it's one of the few that uses a paper, rock, scissors approach with attacks, blocks, and block breakers.  Then when you add the vertical movement it can get pretty intense as far as PVP goes.  The only real downside I found with DCUO though is just how repetitive it can get with the quest grind.  Other than that though it's a pretty solid game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Do you have to constantly do different combos?  I mostly play PvE.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    There are a LOT of combos to do. The combat is pretty decent but the sound effects are a little... Odd... They kind of ruin it a bit to be honest but it's still fun despite that.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Its better played with a gamepad
  • AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63

Combos are done with the mouse. They mix both buttons and series of "click" and "tap" (click left + click right, click left + click left + tap right, etc). Each weapon has it is own skills, and each skill its own combo.

It reminds me old console games in that way. If you are accustomed to console game-pads, it is better you play with it.

^.^'

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I tried it several times and the combat was too weird for me. Then I tried it again recently, it finally clicked and I really loved it.

I can't think of any other MMO which uses mouse combos like DCUO so it really does require a mental shift. That said most of the content (at least pre-end-game) is quite easy and you don't have to use combos.

You can specifically choose equipment which boosts ability (i.e. executed from hotbar like other MMOs) damage or weapon damage. So you can diminish the important of combos in that way.

There are some differences between power sets.

Light has its own built in (simple) mouse combos which you can use instead of or in addition to weapon combos. I really like them. It's one of my favourite power sets.

Celestial also has its own built in mouse combos but they're a bit more complicated.

Rage also has some built in mouse combos but I think fewer than Light and Celestial.

Nature has one shapeshift form (canine) which completely rules out weapon combos. That form has abilities you execute from the hotbar and you regenerate power more quickly while in that form. So as a dog you could ignore weapon combos.

That said the weapon combos are pretty easy once you get used them and your fingers will just do them naturally. They are quite different across weapons though, so once you settle on one you like stick with that one as much as possible.