Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your opinion on Pirates 101?

Jmartinek413Jmartinek413 Member Posts: 2
Let's have a nice discussion.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Where?
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    I tried it a couple of years back.  It was fun, but it definitely isn't free.  You pay for everything after the intro area which ends at level 9 or 10.   I also found that there were a lot of chatter of male characters trying to find "girlfriends", which I found alarming considering the high population of kids.  All I could picture was pedo-central, so I'd caution parents to keep their eyes on the monitor.

• Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83

Pirate 101 Highlights IMO:

1. Stories and Parodies can be actually very funny. (Three Amigos, John Wayne, the Rat Pack, and many more).

2. Different companions, each with their own special abilities which you can choose to focus on.

a. Some companions in my opinion are just horrible so I never use them.

3. Combat is strategic especially toward the end game.  A well thought out match can make all the difference in a victory.

4. Enjoy the turn based combat.

Cons:

1. Toward end game I started to get a little tired of the gameplay.

a. Get mission, do it, turn it in, rinse and repeat. 

b. Kill X number of Y and turn in

2. To much sailing around back and forth between areas, that got boring.

Ultimately if you have a sense of humor, enjoy some strategy in your fights and don't mind a simplistic travel system which can be a bit tedious and boring, then this is a good game you should try out.

NOT FREE TO PLAY-     Once you reach about level 8-9 you cannot enter the new area which the next set of content is in.  You can only go there if you buy it separate or subscribe.

It is well worth the money IMO, GIVE IT A TRY and enjoy yourself!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Liking Wizard101's turn based combat, I was looking forward to Pirate101. What works well with a spell deck does not quite cut it with their more involved combat system. A third of the time in combat, the abilities/spells I wanted use would not work. Sometimes, I could move AND attack. Other times, I would try to move into position to attack only to find I could not attack at the end of the move. I tried a spell caster class and it went about 50/50 whether I could fire off a spell or not. Moving and attacking takes some getting used to.

It is a cute MMO, being made for kids. It can also quickly become an expensive MMO. You can buy everything and anything in the game. If they can charge a few bucks for a few pixels, they will not hesitate. The same goes for Wixard101, so I am not surprised at all.

I spent a little "free" time there and just could not get into it. Maybe I did not give it a good enough try, but if I'm not having fun, I do not keep playing, "hoping" for better.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Arkangel32
    NOT FREE TO PLAY-     Once you reach about level 8-9 you cannot enter the new area which the next set of content is in.  You can only go there if you buy it separate or subscribe.
    Actually, KingsIsle will vehemently defend that classification. I expect them to post such here. They have before.

According to them, playing an unlimited number of characters to level 8 or 9 forever means it is free to play, or an unending trial period. But when content is LOCKED behind pay walls, I laugh at that idea.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

My opinion on the game? It would make for an excellent F2P game.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous how ignorantly they stand behind their so called "F2P" model. If we define F2P correctly, Pirate101 would be "free to try," and there would be some manner in which you have to grind out something extra in order to gain access to the restricted portions of the game rather than subscribe for such access.

Let's take two games for example: WoW clearly has a subscription model, but they allow the first 20 levels of content to be played for free. To go beyond that, you have to grab your wallet. ArcheAge has a F2P model with option to subscribe, but you can experience all content without paying a penny. You can go to every continent, fight any mob, run any dungeon, hit max level, ge the best gear, etc. However, the benefits from having a subscription in AA pretty much only gets you where you want to go faster (more labor points and more craft and farming friendly).

Therefore, since there is no free way to grind access to the entire game other than at the cost of time (when you MUST grab your wallet to continue playing through the game), it is not free to play. It is free to try.

Isaiah 41:10
  • dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94

agreed its free to try. It is not free to play and at a certain point you hit a wall you can not pass without paying at least some money.

overall game was OK, was a lot of time spent moving instead of playing so they are trying to slow down the game to get you to spend money and last longer before you hit the paywall.

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside