Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swtor vs Wildstar

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Shodanas

If you are not planing on finding a serious and organized guild then you can just forget about Wildstar. Unless you enjoy just doing dailies day in day out, decorate your house and craft. Veteran 5mans with aim for medals require coordinated teams as they are extra hard, pugs have absolutely no chance in there. I won't mention raids as the attunement for them is a small Odyssey. If you wan't to go anywhere in this game you absolutely need a decent guild. 

Also, WS's leveling process is one big mindless grind coming straight from the previous decade. SW TOR is light years away here. 

To cut it short: if you're into demanding PvE, don't mind the dreadful leveling grind and have access to a good guild then WS is for you. Else, SW TOR which in my humble opinion is the #2 best theme park on the market after WoW should be your choice.

no idea where you made u p that statement, but wildstar surely had ALOT more things to offer while leveling than ToR.

lightyears ahead? which part exactly, the go from a to b part or the part where you got backstabbed by the story?

WS lets you lvl as you want, you obviously decided to grind, because i surely did not.

so, if you look for endgame content, i suggest to not bother about ToR. been there, done that... and then we wanted to set it to "hardcore" or whatever they call it there and helloooo bigger healthbar (that was about it).

so, incase you look for a REAL mmo (having propper and challanging endgame)..... you know what to do.

if you look for story, "both" games offer that

And how exactly does WS let you level as you want? Let's go with the 5man adventures and instances for starters, shall we? Do you know how much xp you get when / If (and that's a big "if") you clear an instance just 1 level bellow your own? I went into Stormtalon (level 20 dungeon) at lvl 21 hoping for some fast xp and maybe a good drop. Almost two hours later when we finally managed to clear the place with only me and the healer remaining from the starting group my xp bar wasn't even halfway into 22. Yes, you can progress by doing dungeons however with the way these are distributed through the levels and the xp they give it is a very unproductive and slow way to do so.

Let's try the battlegrounds, which i did from 24 to 26 before going back to the quest grind. Why? Because for some moronic and out of my grasp reason you DO NOT get faction rep when leveling via PvP. I am killing dominions for the glory of the exiles i am not? And why is faction rep important? Obvious reasons aside you must be beloved (32K rep) with your faction in order to get the genesis key and start your raid attunement process which is no cakewalk mind you. 

Conclusion: If your goals in WS are to just level characters, craft and decorate your house, in other words just fool around and accomplish nothing, then sure you can take your sweet time and reach the cap by doing the dungeons or battlegrounds. If you actually want to go somewhere and progress in Wildstar then your only option is to endure the tedious quest grind.

Finally, do you really compare Wildstars "story" with what Bioware did with TOR's classes? In Galeras 4 different npc's in the same quest hub asked my to kill the exact same birdlike creature. Later in Whitevale i was asked to gather flowers for 3 different quest givers. Yes, we are talking about top notch story writing here.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Thane

If you are not planing on finding a serious and organized guild then you can just forget about Wildstar. Unless you enjoy just doing dailies day in day out, decorate your house and craft. Veteran 5mans with aim for medals require coordinated teams as they are extra hard, pugs have absolutely no chance in there. I won't mention raids as the attunement for them is a small Odyssey. If you wan't to go anywhere in this game you absolutely need a decent guild. 

Also, WS's leveling process is one big mindless grind coming straight from the previous decade. SW TOR is light years away here. 

To cut it short: if you're into demanding PvE, don't mind the dreadful leveling grind and have access to a good guild then WS is for you. Else, SW TOR which in my humble opinion is the #2 best theme park on the market after WoW should be your choice.

no idea where you made u p that statement, but wildstar surely had ALOT more things to offer while leveling than ToR.

lightyears ahead? which part exactly, the go from a to b part or the part where you got backstabbed by the story?

WS lets you lvl as you want, you obviously decided to grind, because i surely did not.

so, if you look for endgame content, i suggest to not bother about ToR. been there, done that... and then we wanted to set it to "hardcore" or whatever they call it there and helloooo bigger healthbar (that was about it).

so, incase you look for a REAL mmo (having propper and challanging endgame)..... you know what to do.

if you look for story, "both" games offer that

And how exactly does WS let you level as you want? Let's go with the 5man adventures and instances for starters, shall we? Do you know how much xp you get when / If (and that's a big "if") you clear an instance just 1 level bellow your own? I went into Stormtalon (level 20 dungeon) at lvl 21 hoping for some fast xp and maybe a good drop. Almost two hours later when we finally managed to clear the place with only me and the healer remaining from the starting group my xp bar wasn't even halfway into 22. Yes, you can progress by doing dungeons however with the way these are distributed through the levels and the xp they give it is a very unproductive and slow way to do so.

Let's try the battlegrounds, which i did from 24 to 26 before going back to the quest grind. Why? Because for some moronic and out of my grasp reason you DO NOT get faction rep when leveling via PvP. I am killing dominions for the glory of the exiles i am not? And why is faction rep important? Obvious reasons aside you must be beloved (32K rep) with your faction in order to get the genesis key and start your raid attunement process which is no cakewalk mind you. 

Conclusion: If your goals in WS are to just level characters, craft and decorate your house, in other words just fool around and accomplish nothing, then sure you can take your sweet time and reach the cap by doing the dungeons or battlegrounds. If you actually want to go somewhere and progress in Wildstar then your only option is to endure the tedious quest grind.

Finally, do you really compare Wildstars "story" with what Bioware did with TOR's classes? In Galeras 4 different npc's in the same quest hub asked my to kill the exact same birdlike creature. Later in Whitevale i was asked to gather flowers for 3 different quest givers. Yes, we are talking about top notch story writing here.

I really hate this argument that WS gives you choices.  Offering the same thing 10 times is not a choice.  

The questing in the game is mind numbingly tedious.  It is horribly out-dated, generic and lazy.  In fact I do not think I have had a worse levelling experience in a decade.  

Get SWTOR.  

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

SWTOR > Wildstar. If you're a Star Wars fan or even remotely interested in the IP, it's a no brainer.

I've played both and SWTOR stands out to me more than Wildstar does. Wildstar is, and this is not really a knock on it, but the gameplay feels like any other MMO. Yeah it not sword and sorcery but it doesn't feel outstanding in any way. SWTOR at least gives you a little bit of a different feel (at least in my view and experience) with how the story is single player stories are done and just the overall atmosphere of the world(s) and game.

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

I found wildstar to be more fun myself.

Levelling is a breeze and no different than any other themepark, quest quest quest..

although i leveled to 50 on an alt doing nothing but battlegrounds, there are only 2 and unless you really like bg's it would get boring.

i won't stay more than 2 months, well thats a lie because money for credd is easy enough to get ill probably get a 3rd month but im not really into the end game raiding/spend more time with strangers in guild than your own family type endgame so i'll be moving on soon enough.

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by keithian
    I may check back in one day as I have a level 48 I never finished a couple of months after release lol. IMO it was a very polished MMO and a good transition for those used to WOW and not looking for a huge amount of change but better stories.

You should definitely do that. In many ways you'll find it a new game thanks to all the improvements. Tons of new flashpoints too since you left. (I imagine the last ones you saw going live were part of the Rise of the Rakghouls updates)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Really interesting how so many players are saying to go for SWTOR. Did something change here or what? Few months back, when i tried to put out the positives of SWTOR and how much the game has improved, i got barraged with hate posts and the like.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by The.agG
    Really interesting how so many players are saying to go for SWTOR. Did something change here or what? Few months back, when i tried to put out the positives of SWTOR and how much the game has improved, i got barraged with hate posts and the like.

it's the goto game of comparison of how not to do things whenever a new shiny game pops up(the fact that it keeps doing better with each year seems to be completely ignored though)

I had fun once, it was terrible.

In WS the quest levelling is unbearably bad.  The quests are lazy, out-dated and generic and the pathing through zones is terrible.  The pvp is a clusterfuck and the dungeons are too few and serve too narrow a level range.  It then has the standard gear grind end game but with the difficulty turned up to 11.  The population seems quite low and an active and time intensive guild will be required.      

In SWTOR the levelling experience is entertaining via the stories and the dungeons and pvp are well developed and a lot of fun.  The end game is slightly lacking but there is a lot of replay value in the alternative class stories.  The world is busy and there seem to be many active guilds; mine certainly has been steady for a long time now.    

For me it is SWTOR hands down.  WS should hopefully improve but it is not there yet.  

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

Leave the trolls aside, WildStar has far superior combat, graphics and overall its more fun. SWTOR is considered a failed MMO for a reason. It's interesting game, yes but I wouldn't spent a dime in it. I only subscribed once to get the stronghold early and see what it was but that's about it. The interface of SWTOR is terrible and the combat can't get more static than that. It does have great dialogues though, but the moving animations are so B+ 

WildStar has all of this covered. And it keeps making me laugh every single day. Its serious where it needs to be and its funny where it doesn't have to be serious. IMO this game brings the most content at launch day. Unlike TESO here, the game was almost bug-free. The amount of content was A LOT. 1 month in and they already expanded on the game while teso was fixing bugs... and they still are... 

You have everything you can desire in a themepark already in WildStar. Housing, PvE, decent PvP, raiding, dungeons. You don't get to be max level in the first 24 hours of the game, so there's some journey to be made. You are also being launched by rocket launchers xD That's as fun as it gets in a MMO. 

The movement mechanics are on par with Gw2, just with a double jump. Which is amazing. 

SWTOR, TESO, FFXIV has none of that. They are what WoW is, just some 10 years in the future. If you don't get the referece, its same old, same old. 

Originally posted by BailoPan15

Leave the trolls aside, WildStar has far superior combat, graphics and overall its more fun. SWTOR is considered a failed MMO for a reason. It's interesting game, yes but I wouldn't spent a dime in it. I only subscribed once to get the stronghold early and see what it was but that's about it. 

I only see one troll here^.  I assume you are labelling anyone who disagrees with your opinion a troll?   

Originally posted by PioneerStew

Leave the trolls aside, WildStar has far superior combat, graphics and overall its more fun. SWTOR is considered a failed MMO for a reason. It's interesting game, yes but I wouldn't spent a dime in it. I only subscribed once to get the stronghold early and see what it was but that's about it. 

I only see one troll here^.  I assume you are labelling anyone who disagrees with your opinion a troll?   

Nop, but anyone who suggests a failed MMO instead of game that is shitload (yes, shitload! That's how much) of fun is a troll. I do happen to play/have played all the games mentioned in this thread. 

Hey don't you ever trust an internet troll! 

Although you should trust some charts data

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=306130

http://steamcharts.com/app/306130

Such game, very quality, good active...

Originally posted by PioneerStew

Nop, but anyone who suggests a failed MMO instead of game that is shitload (yes, shitload! That's how much) of fun is a troll. I do happen to play/have played all the games mentioned in this thread. 

Hey don't you ever trust an internet troll! 

Although you should trust some charts data

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=306130

http://steamcharts.com/app/306130

Such game, very quality, good active...

We are talking about SWTOR and WS, not ESO.  

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Both seem to provide a lot of content during the level-up part of the game.

TOR has a much more involved story than Wildstar, if you enjoy typical RPG or Bioware storylines, it's probably your best choice. You will indeed have to sub tho, the free option is more like a trial than anything else.

On the other hand, Wildstar has a more classic quest hub setup, but does offer you more freedom to roam around and engage in a whole lot of different activities. So if you're the kind of guy who prefers a lot of variety, that's probably your best pick.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196

Played both for a longer period of time (SWTOR ~1 year, WS ~5 months beta + 2x1 week guest pass). My choice would definitely be Star Wars: The Old Republic. It has great story arcs, an immersive world, sweet small scale PVP and I even enjoyed the end game PVE a lot. It has evolved since release so it's not that bad anymore. And Galactic Starfighter is a neat little add-on (space combat.. wohoo). WildStar just had a nice combat system and its quirky humour. The rest was a mess. Most boring PVE quests I've ever experienced. Zero immersion. Clusterfuck PVP which gives you seizures after half an hour and the story was too mediocre for my taste. Felt like a Sunday morning cartoon for 15-18 year olds (if they'd manage to get out off bed at that time.. haha).

P.S.: Just wanted to say "hi" to the user "kikosforever" a.k.a. Jeremy Gaffney himself.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

Originally posted by Avul

Played both for a longer period of time (SWTOR ~1 year, WS ~5 months beta + 2x1 week guest pass). My choice would definitely be Star Wars: The Old Republic. It has great story arcs, an immersive world, sweet small scale PVP and I even enjoyed the end game PVE a lot. It has evolved since release so it's not that bad anymore. And Galactic Starfighter is a neat little add-on (space combat.. wohoo). WildStar just had a nice combat system and its quirky humour. The rest was a mess. Most boring PVE quests I've ever experienced. Zero immersion. Clusterfuck PVP which gives you seizures after half an hour and the story was too mediocre for my taste. Felt like a Sunday morning cartoon for 15-18 year olds (if they'd manage to get out off bed at that time.. haha).

P.S.: Just wanted to say "hi" to the user "kikosforever" a.k.a. Jeremy Gaffney himself.

So you don't like the art style and that automatically makes it a bad game? Alright, added to blocklist. No need to read your nonsense. 

So you don't like the art style and that automatically makes it a bad game? Alright, added to blocklist. No need to read your nonsense. 

Perhaps you should read it: -

"WildStar just had a nice combat system and its quirky humour. The rest was a mess. Most boring PVE quests I've ever experienced. Zero immersion. Clusterfuck PVP which gives you seizures after half an hour and the story was too mediocre for my taste. Felt like a Sunday morning cartoon for 15-18 year olds"

since you seem to have ignored all of the reasons he gave except the one you chose to throw a hissy fit about.  

• kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Honestly both games are AAA mmo's and worthy of playing and u can say swtor is p2p with a long f2p trail so money wise they are the same. Same goes for endgame no matter what they say its the same old boring formula. So how to decide ? well there are few diffrences to consider ->
    1) combat - wildstar action combat vs traditional wow like swtor combat
    2) housing - wildstar got crazy housing system vs swotr which wont be able to compare , altough atm both seem to be instanced which kinda ruins the whole goal of housing but i still vote for wildstar here.
    3) Lore - No dout star wars has the upper hand here with the huge world that all so familier with but if u not into star wars universe...
    4) space combat - star wars got space combat !
    5) wildstar got a much more intresting pvp both cuz of gameplay and cuz of the many options in it.
    For me btw both games wont last more then 1-2 monthes because after playing for many years the same old formula the " been there done that " alert pop ups for me way to early

I never mentioned the art style. I don't care if it's comic or realistic. The quests were obnoxious and I didn't like the PVP at all. It felt more like a typical asian grinding MMO than anything else. I don't say it's the shittiest game ever made but I would prefer many others over it (SWTOR, ESO, EVE, WoW - different types of MMO but all of them felt better to me than WS).

Joke or serious?

Joke or serious?

Do you read his posts frequently?

Joke or serious?

Do you read his posts frequently?

Nothing out of the ordinary. Just seems like the regular mmorpg.com poster who thinks that the game he/she plays (wildstar) is the best and everything else sucks and people who play other games have no taste in games and/or are unskilled.

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

I can understand not having the time for both but the budget? Play swtor for free and get full access. They were fairly stupid with making it impossible for most to cancel a paypal account on their site. I tried to cancel through the site and calling a couple times and it never got canceled when the next months bill hit. So went onto my paypal and ended payments to swtor which hasn't billed me since. But with the new expac coming I logged in a couple times expecting f2p taken over to find that I still have full access and even been getting cartel coins while not paying a dime.

Since finding out have found a few others getting the same thing and it seems to be fairly common. I just don't give a rats arse about letting them know about it as they already made it impossible for me to cancel before when using paypal and there were numerous ignored posts about those with the same. So, swtor for free... not a money issue... hehe

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Consider ESO. That is all.
    Originally posted by ltank
    Consider ESO. That is all.

Don't.  That is all.

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149

Simple really. Depends what you are after.

If you are one of those people that only stick with an mmo for a month, maybe two, pick swtor. Wildstar doesn't really offer anything to those that only plan on staying for a month. 

If you plan on finding an mmo that will take you lots of skill with like minded people to even see the endgame content, pick wildstar. People keep throwing 40 man raids in wildstar and bla bla bla it's so bad. But in reality, you can't even see the 40 man raid until you defeat the 20 man raid first. Not even a handful of guilds have done that so far. The raiding in wildstar is top notch. It took me 30 hours of played hours to hit level cap. Really easy grind. Winning pvp matches is also a fast way to level, assuming you win. 

WIldstar is for the long haul. it's the mmo you log into every day and group up with guildies to kill big bads inside awesome raids that take lots of skill to complete. The real challenge in wildstar is finding 19 other people that love the hard content. My guild is bleeding people and we are always recruiting and power attuning new people to keep our raid going. This mmo is not for everyone.

Swtor = quick fix

wildstar = how good of a player are you really?