Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it get better?

simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

So, I've been checking out the game during this free log-in week-end. I do not own any character (bought the game pre-relaunch) so I've started fresh. Things I loved:

- the graphics are great (for what I like)

- I actually like the slowish tab target combat

- I like some of the systems such as the multi-class, hunts, duties, leves, the armor bags and many more

However, there are some things that I did not like:

- the map system seems complicated (at least in Limsa Lominsa)

- the constant running around talking to 15 people just to finish a quest

- the fact that every npc which you talk to has about 6-7 paragraphs of text which you have to click-click-click through (at some point I got bored of reading everything)

I'm currently level 16 in my first job (arcanist). My question for the people which spent more time in the game is, does it get better as I level up (or at the endgame) or it's gonna be still hours of running around with a few minutes of actually doing something? Help me decide if it's worth a sub for me or not, thank you :)

Comments

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

The map system gets easier as you learn how it works. I'm not much of a fan of it either, tbh. Once you get away from the opening areas, it's much better.

NPC dialogue is long winded but the story is pretty good & the dialogue can be quite humorous. The first levels are rough though. You wanna get to the action & it feels like the NPC's just won't shut up. This gets better as well. The fetch quests become fewer & farther between.

I wasn't hooked until I started running the dungeons. That & getting a mount. Also, get into a social LS or FC. The community for this game is actually quite good.

Anywho, good luck on making a choice. Hope I helped a little.

-Chuckles
  • Neobloodline3dNeobloodline3d Member CommonPosts: 54
    If it was buy to play similar to GW2 maybe it'd be a worthy distraction for what it is.  With it's current pricing structure and quality of development I wouldn't give them a dime more than the initial cost.  I don't see the value in obvious time sinks designed to chain you down and dangle a carrot in front of you while you pay a monthly fee.  I think it's actually a very shady business strategy in 2014.  People are going to pay a monthly fee for a new dungeon and some tinkering with some side quests every 2 or 3 months?  That's 20+ dollars for these updates which add more "things to do" but don't improve on the existing experience for newly started characters which is abysmal at best. 
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    First 10 levels are boring nightmare, no worries, it will get better later. Map is confusing for the 1st time, but you'll get used to it. After you hit level 50 and finish main storyline, it's up to you to sub or not (do not skip reading main storyline quests, main story is awesome). Mostly end-game is about grinding gear, doing primals, hard-mode dungeons, hunts, raids, but if you like challenges you won't regret to subsrcibe. Oh, crafting also, one of the best part of the game.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Neobloodline3d
    If it was buy to play similar to GW2 maybe it'd be a worthy distraction for what it is.  With it's current pricing structure and quality of development I wouldn't give them a dime more than the initial cost.  I don't see the value in obvious time sinks designed to chain you down and dangle a carrot in front of you while you pay a monthly fee.  I think it's actually a very shady business strategy in 2014.  People are going to pay a monthly fee for a new dungeon and some tinkering with some side quests every 2 or 3 months?  That's 20+ dollars for these updates which add more "things to do" but don't improve on the existing experience for newly started characters which is abysmal at best. 

Also OP, pay no attention to this post ^ for obvious reasons.

-Chuckles
  • Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by simmihi
    So, I've been checking out the game during this free log-in week-end. I do not own any character (bought the game pre-relaunch) so I've started fresh. Things I loved:- the graphics are great (for what I like)- I actually like the slowish tab target combat- I like some of the systems such as the multi-class, hunts, duties, leves, the armor bags and many moreHowever, there are some things that I did not like:- the map system seems complicated (at least in Limsa Lominsa)- the constant running around talking to 15 people just to finish a quest- the fact that every npc which you talk to has about 6-7 paragraphs of text which you have to click-click-click through (at some point I got bored of reading everything)I'm currently level 16 in my first job (arcanist). My question for the people which spent more time in the game is, does it get better as I level up (or at the endgame) or it's gonna be still hours of running around with a few minutes of actually doing something? Help me decide if it's worth a sub for me or not, thank you :) 

Get into a good FC. My FC helped me get my Relic last night. And Titan hard mode is a beast. I'll never touch Titan extreme unless they force me to.

Check out my videos dude and see if it looks like it got better by 49 - 50.

(Boss) Fight

My youtube channel

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Thanks for all the replies! I am going to sub and see how it goes from there, and I'll try to get into a "guild" as soon as I can - the people I've met in game were nice and courteous also, and after reading these replies it seems I wasn't just lucky to only meet "the good ones". You sound like the kind of people I'd enjoy playing with.

Thanks for all the replies! I am going to sub and see how it goes from there, and I'll try to get into a "guild" as soon as I can - the people I've met in game were nice and courteous also, and after reading these replies it seems I wasn't just lucky to only meet "the good ones". You sound like the kind of people I'd enjoy playing with.

Getting you first relic is supposed to take days and my FC boosted my ilevel up and gave me the Champions lance with the materia slotted and everything. We even had full FC party for Chimera, Hydra, and all the primals. What was supposed to take days to weeks only took 4 hours and I got some kick ass gear drops from Garuda and Titan.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

So, I've been checking out the game during this free log-in week-end. I do not own any character (bought the game pre-relaunch) so I've started fresh. Things I loved:

- I like some of the systems such as the multi-class, hunts, duties, leves, the armor bags and many more

- the fact that every npc which you talk to has about 6-7 paragraphs of text which you have to click-click-click through (at some point I got bored of reading everything)

I'm currently level 16 in my first job (arcanist). My question for the people which spent more time in the game is, does it get better as I level up (or at the endgame) or it's gonna be still hours of running around with a few minutes of actually doing something? Help me decide if it's worth a sub for me or not, thank you :)

Leveling first class is fun. Even second you will manage but after that it gets very repetitive. Quests are exhausted after first two classes then you are left with fates, leves, dungeons etc for leveling.  And in my personal opinion questing was the most fun way to level.

They have tweaked the xp from dungeons etc but if you are asking 'if it gets better' just on your first class then i doubt you will get very far.

Also end game is WOW esque dungeon grind and if that is not your cup of tea then nope i don't think it will get better for you.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Originally posted by simmihi So, I've been checking out the game during this free log-in week-end. I do not own any character (bought the game pre-relaunch) so I've started fresh. Things I loved: - the graphics are great (for what I like) - I actually like the slowish tab target combat - I like some of the systems such as the multi-class, hunts, duties, leves, the armor bags and many more However, there are some things that I did not like: - the map system seems complicated (at least in Limsa Lominsa) - the constant running around talking to 15 people just to finish a quest - the fact that every npc which you talk to has about 6-7 paragraphs of text which you have to click-click-click through (at some point I got bored of reading everything) I'm currently level 16 in my first job (arcanist). My question for the people which spent more time in the game is, does it get better as I level up (or at the endgame) or it's gonna be still hours of running around with a few minutes of actually doing something? Help me decide if it's worth a sub for me or not, thank you :)  
    Leveling first class is fun. Even second you will manage but after that it gets very repetitive. Quests are exhausted after first two classes then you are left with fates, leves, dungeons etc for leveling.  And in my personal opinion questing was the most fun way to level.

They have tweaked the xp from dungeons etc but if you are asking 'if it gets better' just on your first class then i doubt you will get very far.

Also end game is WOW esque dungeon grind and if that is not your cup of tea then nope i don't think it will get better for you.

Too late he already decided to sub. See the real players here gave real opinions and real feedback.

If and when he gets to hes 3rd class, he will cross that bridge when he get's there.

Don't know when the last time you played but, end game is fantastic and no you do NOT have to do dungeons and raids for end game only.

You just live to crush new players and returning players hopes huh?

Originally posted by Allacore69

Originally posted by simmihi So, I've been checking out the game during this free log-in week-end. I do not own any character (bought the game pre-relaunch) so I've started fresh. Things I loved: - the graphics are great (for what I like) - I actually like the slowish tab target combat - I like some of the systems such as the multi-class, hunts, duties, leves, the armor bags and many more However, there are some things that I did not like: - the map system seems complicated (at least in Limsa Lominsa) - the constant running around talking to 15 people just to finish a quest - the fact that every npc which you talk to has about 6-7 paragraphs of text which you have to click-click-click through (at some point I got bored of reading everything) I'm currently level 16 in my first job (arcanist). My question for the people which spent more time in the game is, does it get better as I level up (or at the endgame) or it's gonna be still hours of running around with a few minutes of actually doing something? Help me decide if it's worth a sub for me or not, thank you :)  

Too late he already decided to sub. See the real players here gave real opinions and real feedback.

If and when he gets to hes 3rd class, he will cross that bridge when he get's there.

Don't know when the last time you played but, end game is fantastic and no you do NOT have to do dungeons and raids for end game only.

You really need to cool down.

He wants opinions from people who are playing or have played the game. I did so i answered his queries.

According to your logic only opinions that confirm with your own should be allowed and everyone else is just a troll.

Grow up please.  Posting other posters posting history and flaming them for their opinion is against TOS. But you already know that considering amount of bans you have already got so please stop.

Focus on discussions and not the posters.

Leveling first class is fun. Even second you will manage but after that it gets very repetitive. Quests are exhausted after first two classes then you are left with fates, leves, dungeons etc for leveling.  And in my personal opinion questing was the most fun way to level.   They have tweaked the xp from dungeons etc but if you are asking 'if it gets better' just on your first class then i doubt you will get very far. Also end game is WOW esque dungeon grind and if that is not your cup of tea then nope i don't think it will get better for you.
      Too late he already decided to sub. See the real players here gave real opinions and real feedback. If and when he gets to hes 3rd class, he will cross that bridge when he get's there. Don't know when the last time you played but, end game is fantastic and no you do NOT have to do dungeons and raids for end game only. You just live to crush new players and returning players hopes huh?

He wants opinions from people who are playing or have played the game. I did so i answered his queries.

According to your logic only opinions that confirm with your own should be allowed and everyone else is just a troll.

Grow up please.  Posting other posters posting history and flaming them for their opinion is against TOS. But you already know that considering amount of bans you have already got so please stop.

Why do you keep replying to me?

OP, enjoy the game. Be lucky we dont have to put up with people like this in game. The game is fantastic.

What this user fails to mention is all that is really there. You can easily gain 10 levels in each class by just doing your hunting log. And switching GC's allows you to do their hunting logs for xp as well. So no you do not have to fate grind or dungeon grin.

See he didnt mention the beast tribes or moogle mail or anything. He clearly has not played since he power leveled 5 days after launch.

BTW he wanted opinions from CURRENT players as he is a RETURNING PLAYER. Why would he need you to tell him something he already did first hand at launch the same time you did it.

• Neobloodline3dNeobloodline3d Member CommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by Apologetic.Panda

Originally posted by Neobloodline3d If it was buy to play similar to GW2 maybe it'd be a worthy distraction for what it is.  With it's current pricing structure and quality of development I wouldn't give them a dime more than the initial cost.  I don't see the value in obvious time sinks designed to chain you down and dangle a carrot in front of you while you pay a monthly fee.  I think it's actually a very shady business strategy in 2014.  People are going to pay a monthly fee for a new dungeon and some tinkering with some side quests every 2 or 3 months?  That's 20+ dollars for these updates which add more "things to do" but don't improve on the existing experience for newly started characters which is abysmal at best. 

Yeah OP, this guy created and account 2 and a half months ago with the pure intent of trolling this game to death.

Example: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userPosts/2684212

His opinion means nothing.

Just so everybody is clear creating 1 thread to talk about my game experiences is not trolling a game to death.  That's just silly.   Answering someone's query is not trolling a game to death. That's  also silly. Telling strangers to disregard people's opinions which aren't aligned to yours is sort of creepy especially in context of searching out previous posts.   It's stalky unbalanced behavior totally unwarranted in a simple gaming forum. If you don't like criticism of the games you play you can always skip those posts.  Games are just games they don't really need defending.   They only need upgrading. FF14 has a lot of room for fixes and upgrades.   It's probably nice to know that if you're just headed into it. 

Originally posted by Neobloodline3d If it was buy to play similar to GW2 maybe it'd be a worthy distraction for what it is.  With it's current pricing structure and quality of development I wouldn't give them a dime more than the initial cost.  I don't see the value in obvious time sinks designed to chain you down and dangle a carrot in front of you while you pay a monthly fee.  I think it's actually a very shady business strategy in 2014.  People are going to pay a monthly fee for a new dungeon and some tinkering with some side quests every 2 or 3 months?  That's 20+ dollars for these updates which add more "things to do" but don't improve on the existing experience for newly started characters which is abysmal at best. 

Yeah OP, this guy created and account 2 and a half months ago with the pure intent of trolling this game to death.

Just so everybody is clear creating 1 thread to talk about my game experiences is not trolling a game to death.  That's just silly.   Answering someone's query is not trolling a game to death. That's  also silly. Telling strangers to disregard people's opinions which aren't aligned to yours is sort of creepy especially in context of searching out previous posts.   It's stalky unbalanced behavior totally unwarranted in a simple gaming forum. If you don't like criticism of the games you play you can always skip those posts.  Games are just games they don't really need defending.   They only need upgrading. FF14 has a lot of room for fixes and upgrades.   It's probably nice to know that if you're just headed into it. 

Not worth it buddy just hit the report button. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So, I've been checking out the game during this free log-in week-end. I do not own any character (bought the game pre-relaunch) so I've started fresh. Things I loved:- the graphics are great (for what I like)- I actually like the slowish tab target combat- I like some of the systems such as the multi-class, hunts, duties, leves, the armor bags and many moreHowever, there are some things that I did not like:- the map system seems complicated (at least in Limsa Lominsa)- the constant running around talking to 15 people just to finish a quest- the fact that every npc which you talk to has about 6-7 paragraphs of text which you have to click-click-click through (at some point I got bored of reading everything)I'm currently level 16 in my first job (arcanist). My question for the people which spent more time in the game is, does it get better as I level up (or at the endgame) or it's gonna be still hours of running around with a few minutes of actually doing something? Help me decide if it's worth a sub for me or not, thank you :) 
    Hard to say it gets better or not basedon where you're at and what you're doing. Once you hit 50, the only real quests left are main scenarios and continuing side quests. Which by then, they have an interesting backstory and feel more rewarding. Also, by the time you are 50, you won't really be doing quests that have much text or require reading anyway. Map is a pain but you get used to it over time. I used to hate it but I got acclimated and now I don't even notice it.
    There are a lot of different ways to play this game. If there's something you don't enjoy doing, chances are its completely avoidable by 50 and you can just focus on the stuff you like. I don't like quests, or dungeons, or raids, or for that matter even the combat lol. Even without doing any of that, I have more content than I can keep up with every patch.
    So take that with a grain of salt. It got better for me.

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Hard to say it gets better or not basedon where you're at and what you're doing. Once you hit 50, the only real quests left are main scenarios and continuing side quests. Which by then, they have an interesting backstory and feel more rewarding. Also, by the time you are 50, you won't really be doing quests that have much text or require reading anyway. Map is a pain but you get used to it over time. I used to hate it but I got acclimated and now I don't even notice it.
    There are a lot of different ways to play this game. If there's something you don't enjoy doing, chances are its completely avoidable by 50 and you can just focus on the stuff you like. I don't like quests, or dungeons, or raids, or for that matter even the combat lol. Even without doing any of that, I have more content than I can keep up with every patch.
    So take that with a grain of salt. It got better for me.

This ^^^^^^

+1

At 50 it just got even better for me too.

Originally posted by Allacore69   Originally posted by Apologetic.Panda Originally posted by Neobloodline3d If it was buy to play similar to GW2 maybe it'd be a worthy distraction for what it is.  With it's current pricing structure and quality of development I wouldn't give them a dime more than the initial cost.  I don't see the value in obvious time sinks designed to chain you down and dangle a carrot in front of you while you pay a monthly fee.  I think it's actually a very shady business strategy in 2014.  People are going to pay a monthly fee for a new dungeon and some tinkering with some side quests every 2 or 3 months?  That's 20+ dollars for these updates which add more "things to do" but don't improve on the existing experience for newly started characters which is abysmal at best. 
      Yeah OP, this guy created and account 2 and a half months ago with the pure intent of trolling this game to death. Example: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userPosts/2684212 His opinion means nothing.

Ah but, it's okay for you to "stalk" and quote somebody huh? The feature is there to see what other likes you have. thats why we created a profile here.

Anyway, IMHO hunts are the only thing that needs to be fixed. Everything else is perfect so far.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Replying with misinformation and "opinions" based on falsehoods however IS trolling.

Let's see... Just to list a few things since launch that they have added:

- Several (IIRC at least 20) new dungeons and raids.

- A bunch of Primal fights

- Expanded the main storyline

- Entirely new sub-stories as well as expanded on them

- Beast tribe quest system

- Wolves Den PvP

- Frontlines PvP

- New crafting systems / mechanics such as Desynth, Gardening, Glamours

- Added Elite hunts

-  Treasure hunting

- FC Housing

- Chocobo raising

To add to that there is also the upcoming patches with: 

- 2 new classes

-  The addition of more new dungeons, raids, and storylines

- Personal housing

- Whatever else they decide to add as well. they like to surprise us

But yeah. You're totally right. Paying a monthly fee for a new dungeon and sidequests every 2-3 months....

Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Neobloodline3d Originally posted by Allacore69   Originally posted by Apologetic.Panda Originally posted by Neobloodline3d If it was buy to play similar to GW2 maybe it'd be a worthy distraction for what it is.  With it's current pricing structure and quality of development I wouldn't give them a dime more than the initial cost.  I don't see the value in obvious time sinks designed to chain you down and dangle a carrot in front of you while you pay a monthly fee.  I think it's actually a very shady business strategy in 2014.  People are going to pay a monthly fee for a new dungeon and some tinkering with some side quests every 2 or 3 months?  That's 20+ dollars for these updates which add more "things to do" but don't improve on the existing experience for newly started characters which is abysmal at best. 
      Yeah OP, this guy created and account 2 and a half months ago with the pure intent of trolling this game to death. Example: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userPosts/2684212 His opinion means nothing.
    Replying with misinformation and "opinions" based on falsehoods however IS trolling.

Let's see... Just to list a few things since launch that they have added:

- Several (IIRC at least 20) new dungeons and raids.

- A bunch of Primal fights

- Expanded the main storyline

- Entirely new sub-stories as well as expanded on them

- Beast tribe quest system

- Wolves Den PvP

- Frontlines PvP

- New crafting systems / mechanics such as Desynth, Gardening, Glamours

- Added Elite hunts

-  Treasure hunting

- FC Housing

- Chocobo raising

To add to that there is also the upcoming patches with: 

- 2 new classes

-  The addition of more new dungeons, raids, and storylines

- Personal housing

- Whatever else they decide to add as well. they like to surprise us

But yeah. You're totally right. Paying a monthly fee for a new dungeon and sidequests every 2-3 months....

HAHA This ^^^^^^^

+10000000000000000000000

• DooDoo666DooDoo666 Member Posts: 14

He wanted opinions from people who play the game now. Not people who played it at launch and gave up and is going around ranting and reporting when you dont get your way.

Originally posted by DooDoo666

He wanted opinions from people who play the game now. Not people who played it at launch and gave up and is going around ranting and reporting when you dont get your way.

You woke up dormant alt account just to say that? bravo.

My sub lapsed last month by the way and i also revisited the game on 16th.

Next time post on your main, alt accounts are not allowed on the website.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Nothing you wrote in this response has anything to do with the OPs questions. Which is probably one reason you are getting backlash in this thread. Its basically off topic. Op didn't ask about alts, didn't ask about dungeons. Just wanted to know if the quests remained the same wall of text fetch style (which most do during the leveling process).

Maybe you were trying to say that those types of quests eventually run out? So in reference to the OPs question, then yes it does get better. I think the rest of your negative opinions about the game are not only off topic, but are well documented throughout numerous ffxiv threads.

You woke up dormant alt account just to say that? bravo.

My sub lapsed last month by the way and i also revisited the game on 16th.

Next time post on your main, alt accounts are not allowed on the website.

What are you talking about? I'm not allowed to post here because i'm supposed to be somebody else? 

So I have to post every day and every second to prove this is not an alt? Who are you even talking about? WTF is even going on and who are you to troll me?

What is your deal. I dont even know who you are.

Nothing you wrote in this response has anything to do with the OPs questions. Which is probably one reason you are getting backlash in this thread. Its basically off topic. Op didn't ask about alts, didn't ask about dungeons. Just wanted to know if the quests remained the same wall of text fetch style (which most do during the leveling process).

Maybe you were trying to say that those types of quests eventually run out? So in reference to the OPs question, then yes it does get better. I think the rest of your negative opinions about the game are not only off topic, but are well documented throughout numerous ffxiv threads.

Oh yeah and apparantly if you created an account in 2014 you must be an alt, whatever the hell that is. Why is he doing this? What did I do? I was just agreeing with somebody. Did I agree with his sworn enemy or something?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

The game didn't really hook me until I got past 30 and had my first job unlocked. The game really opened up then, dungeons got more challenging, and I have more options for content that I have seen in any other game. The game from 1-30 really isn't the best in the genre, but after that, I haven't found a better themepark (so far).

The quests get better to, I find myself heavily engaged in the main story at the moment. Waiting till I get off work so I can level some more and see the next part of the story unfold :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Oh yeah and apparantly if you created an account in 2014 you must be an alt, whatever the hell that is. Why is he doing this? What did I do? I was just agreeing with somebody. Did I agree with his sworn enemy or something?

He's one of those debbie downers that people like to stay away from at parties or get togethers because they always spoil the fun and are never happy.  Just ignore him.