Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: The Future of ESO & Our Interview Matt Firor

Comments

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by APThug
    I'll play this once it goes f2p.

Not going to happen their subscriptions are healthy according to sources and the cities are full of players. Even the towns like Narisis are full of players at peak times on the EU server.

With the game being put on steam I have seen a huge influx of new players to the game as well.

There are no pay walls to the game which means that old equipment is not going to be sold in a cash shop but through npc vendors in the game for game gold to help newer players catch up.

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Bladehawk
    Good changes in the works. Sane people shouldn't buy MMOs within 3-6 months of launch nowadays anyways.

so u wont buy  Camelot Unchained    when its released ?? 

or have you already supported the game and all ur saying is for sake of hating ESO, or is it just hypocrisy???

Look am not trying to hold in a corner, but all am saying is (sometimes u like something u buy it right away or pre-order it ) 

and its okay nothing wrong in that.

please accept this as a note rather then a Criticism. 

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Class balance overhaul, real end game content that people cant cheat through, a overhaul of many of the game systems and a shift to f2p and this title may start  to move towards becoming worthwhile to play - as it stands it isnt.

Admitting grouping doesnt hit the mark in a MMO is basically the same as saying we failed at making this game.

I am sure the stick they will keep adding to the game will keep the carrot always at arms length for all but the most committed of players.

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

^

Originally posted by Olgark

Not going to happen their subscriptions are healthy according to sources and the cities are full of players. Even the towns like Narisis are full of players at peak times on the EU server.

With the game being put on steam I have seen a huge influx of new players to the game as well.

There are no pay walls to the game which means that old equipment is not going to be sold in a cash shop but through npc vendors in the game for game gold to help newer players catch up.

Don't care, if it does not go f2p then I don't play, there are plenty of other choices!

• LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91

You know what... I hastily deactivated my subscription after a few months overseas but I think I might give this another go.  The huge issue for me was the veteran rank system and if they plan to effectively remove it then I'm in.

Edit: Damn why did I uninstall, such a huge download!

Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Allacore69

It will go B2P before F2P dude.

Most likely indeed. And I'm waiting for B2P as well...

Yeah, I don't mind paying an initial fee, just not interested in paying it over and over!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The subscription number is a guess; Zenimax haven't said anything. That aside I am puzzled.

• With the megaserver technology you should always see other people - everywhere; right up until the game closes.
    • If you have seen a huge influx since the game went on Steam are you implying that the game was "empty" pre-Steam. 
    • I honestly wouldn't have expected a few thousand players to make that much difference. A few thousand - the highest concurrent number I have seen on Steam being just over 3k; possibly split between US and EU. Worrying.
    As far as pay walls go I beg to differ. Sure I know what MF said and what he is seeking to imply but every month you have to pay $15. If you do not pay $15 you cannot continue. There are no "optional" pay walls in other words - just a mandatory one.
  • holliday50holliday50 Member Posts: 8

He definitely did say "sell directly to players", and it was one of 2 notes that I wrote down.  It's at around 48:15 in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jk7LrLgRfg

I happen to be one of the players that is not pleased with the recent difficulty changes of Veteran content.  For him to say "go to Craglorn, go to a dungeon", doesn't sit well with me at all.  I wanted challenging gameplay everywhere, not just when I can organize Guild groups for special events to do dungeons.  For anybody that plays this game, you're well aware that you'll spend 95% of your time in PvE zones on your way to VR12, long as you're not exploiting or grinding Craglorn.

Sorry Matt Firor, but when you change your difficulty so that 95% of your game is solo-friendly (their words) then you deserve to be compared to solo games.  The Skyrim vs ESO comparison becomes a real thing.  Do I want to solo in an MMO with other people in my way, or solo in Skyrim and be filled with immersion?

• holliday50holliday50 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by gervaise1

The subscription number is a guess; Zenimax haven't said anything. That aside I am puzzled.

• With the megaserver technology you should always see other people - everywhere; right up until the game closes.
    • If you have seen a huge influx since the game went on Steam are you implying that the game was "empty" pre-Steam. 
    • I honestly wouldn't have expected a few thousand players to make that much difference. A few thousand - the highest concurrent number I have seen on Steam being just over 3k; possibly split between US and EU. Worrying.
    As far as pay walls go I beg to differ. Sure I know what MF said and what he is seeking to imply but every month you have to pay $15. If you do not pay $15 you cannot continue. There are no "optional" pay walls in other words - just a mandatory one.

Count me as very skeptical of the recently released "800k" subscribers number too.  Unless there just happens to be a ton of people still on subscription but not playing.  I started playing ESO during Early Access as a trio with 2 friends and every time we grouped up, we would be in different instances, forcing us to "travel" to each other.  Oftentimes, we'd be in 3 separate instances.  This is where they have to split the zones into different instances in the megaserver to accomodate the large number of players.  Since that first monthly subscription date, I have not seen separate instances one time.  Players who have only played the past month or two might not even know what the "travel" function means.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wait and see +1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• bleakravenbleakraven Member UncommonPosts: 25
    If you can't confirm it, why even make such a big deal out of something you probably just misheard? That's inciting bad rumours and more flaming behaviour towards the game.
  • bleakravenbleakraven Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by holliday50
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Count me as very skeptical of the recently released "800k" subscribers number too.  Unless there just happens to be a ton of people still on subscription but not playing.  I started playing ESO during Early Access as a trio with 2 friends and every time we grouped up, we would be in different instances, forcing us to "travel" to each other.  Oftentimes, we'd be in 3 separate instances.  This is where they have to split the zones into different instances in the megaserver to accomodate the large number of players.  Since that first monthly subscription date, I have not seen separate instances one time.  Players who have only played the past month or two might not even know what the "travel" function means.

Soon after release, they launched a patch that attempted to keep people in each other's friends list (not guild) in the same instance and I rarely had to travel to my friend ever again. Only on rare occasions where we'd log in at about the same time.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

ok i hate to be that guy but.  i have to be that guy.

ok, im really hoping bill realizes, an editor is needed going forward because wtf is up with that title???  

the word interview.  i dont think it means what you think it means.

what you wrote was a story.  this is the writers interpretation of a conversation.  thats not an interview (you know, the thing you mentioned twice in just the title).    even moreso, this dips and dives between "i watched a keynote" and "i had a conversation.".  while i dont doubt you had an interview format when you spoke with matt.  i dont doubt that one bit.  but what you wrote here, is an account of something, thats a story.  not an interview.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Do you even earn?

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    I couldn't beat Molag Bal, so I quit. Believe me, I tried several ways, died several times. I know others didn't have a problem, so it's my lack of ability.
  • zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69
    The game needs one thing ASAP:  Reputation system.  This would give players replayability and an avenue for furthering their character not just by being pigeon holed into Craglorn.  This would mean dailys, rewards, achieves, gear, cosmetics....etc.
  • DR4296DR4296 Member UncommonPosts: 17

Have learned my lesson:   Note to self -- wait until 6+ months after a release to buy a game.   

Pretty pathetic when they make the (broken) "Multiplayer" in MMO... a secondary, "ho-hum, we'll get to it" kind of issue.

To all the players out there who may be new to Elder Scrolls:   Save your money.  Pay $15 (or less) and download Skyrim from Steam.   You'll get just as much enjoyment (if not MORE) and only be missing a little bit of "multiplayer".  And you'll save a ton of money.

Originally posted by Brynn
    I couldn't beat Molag Bal, so I quit. Believe me, I tried several ways, died several times. I know others didn't have a problem, so it's my lack of ability.

I have a friend who quit / unsubscribed for the same reason.  Says he simply does not have the physical dexterity to do the button-smashing required to bring Molag Bal down.

Originally posted by holliday50

He definitely did say "sell directly to players", and it was one of 2 notes that I wrote down.  It's at around 48:15 in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jk7LrLgRfg

I happen to be one of the players that is not pleased with the recent difficulty changes of Veteran content.  For him to say "go to Craglorn, go to a dungeon", doesn't sit well with me at all.  I wanted challenging gameplay everywhere, not just when I can organize Guild groups for special events to do dungeons.  For anybody that plays this game, you're well aware that you'll spend 95% of your time in PvE zones on your way to VR12, long as you're not exploiting or grinding Craglorn.

Sorry Matt Firor, but when you change your difficulty so that 95% of your game is solo-friendly (their words) then you deserve to be compared to solo games.  The Skyrim vs ESO comparison becomes a real thing.  Do I want to solo in an MMO with other people in my way, or solo in Skyrim and be filled with immersion?

<slow clap>  

• EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56
    No I won't play this again, certainly I wouldn't even consider it while there remains a subscription.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DR4296

I have a friend who quit / unsubscribed for the same reason.  Says he simply does not have the physical dexterity to do the button-smashing required to bring Molag Bal down.

Depending on his class, it's most likely a build problem.

Since you're buffed the entire time during the Molag Bal fight, you really only need 2 things for the fight to be a joke.

1) Ranged attacks (just kite him forever)

2) Sustain (self heals / regen / potions / etc.)

Certain classes can do this better than others, but all can make this fight trivial by using a resto staff (channeled damage & mana regen from the auto attack) and class skills. Heck, if you're a sorcerer they can straight up break the fight, as you can repeatedly hit the guy for thousands of damage a second, while also healing yourself for thousands of health a second (effectively making you invincible).

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Ebany
    No I won't play this again, certainly I wouldn't even consider it while there remains a subscription.

As long as EOS is subscription only I will keep it on my radar. If they choose to go the f2p route, I will most certainly leave it behind me and not look back.

When in doubt, troll.

• YrthWyndAndFyreYrthWyndAndFyre Member UncommonPosts: 9

Frankly, I hope ESO never goes F2P.  I remember what happened when SWTOR went that path.  Suddenly the game was full of people who couldn't be bothered to pay to play, but once in on F2P, they all of a sudden felt entitled to dictate how the game *should* be.  Since the freeloaders by definition heavily outnumber the ones willing to pay, they wind up with the larger collective voice, and voila, instant dumbed-down content.

I'd like to see more specifically Elder-Scrolls-type content, too, but I recognize that in an MMO there is a limit to how far you can go down that path without breaking the MMO completely, so I'll wait and see.  By the time I hit the end of Morrowind or Skyrim, my character could swat Golden Saints and Giants like gnats - not good in an MMO.  I'm hoping that spell-crafting will also introduce some interesting changes and perhaps add a little player-induced re-balancing.  As for Heraldry, it would be particularly nice if custom emblems could be added.  But to start with, canned heraldry is close enough.  Once you have one set of people as goblins, another as skeletons, and another as Golden Saints, that pretty much covers the available level of combat-group identity in AvA.  It's hard to find your core group in the thick of battle when all you have to go on is an icon roughly the size of a small upholstery tack.

It would be nice to see the Thieve's Guild, the Dark Brotherhood, the Companions, the Camonna and Morag Tongs, the Tribunal Temple and the Blades re-introduced as well, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves :)  There are other things that are clearly higher priority right now.

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by DR4296

Depending on his class, it's most likely a build problem.

Since you're buffed the entire time during the Molag Bal fight, you really only need 2 things for the fight to be a joke.

1) Ranged attacks (just kite him forever)

2) Sustain (self heals / regen / potions / etc.)

Certain classes can do this better than others, but all can make this fight trivial by using a resto staff (channeled damage & mana regen from the auto attack) and class skills. Heck, if you're a sorcerer they can straight up break the fight, as you can repeatedly hit the guy for thousands of damage a second, while also healing yourself for thousands of health a second (effectively making you invincible).

While this is possible... this is a problem and why I am not playing/subbing. When the goto answer is "strap on a staff" I'm done. When you can build any way you want but are distinctly penalized for doing so.