Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: Been there, done that.

124»

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Some of the comments are a little harsh here as the game does have a lot to offer.  I say that as someone that isn't all that into it as the combat system is extremely boring to me, however I only play aim to shoot games.  You will have bots, massive botting in all tab target games, especially as basic as this combat is.

That said, for sandbox players,...there's a ton to do, creating your own faction, the crafting system is super in depth, exploration of the seas, building your own templates for items and cities.

The pvp needs work, right now it's just random ganking...which is fun for a bit, but gets old.  They need to add in a actual war decloration system like L2 where if I don't like you, I declare war on your clan and after 7 days or so a winner is decided based on kills to death.  

But to say you've been here and done that...no...AA does have a lot to offer that is in depth.  

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Some of the comments are a little harsh here as the game does have a lot to offer.  I say that as someone that isn't all that into it as the combat system is extremely boring to me, however I only play aim to shoot games.  You will have bots, massive botting in all tab target games, especially as basic as this combat is.

That said, for sandbox players,...there's a ton to do, creating your own faction, the crafting system is super in depth, exploration of the seas, building your own templates for items and cities.

The pvp needs work, right now it's just random ganking...which is fun for a bit, but gets old.  They need to add in a actual war decloration system like L2 where if I don't like you, I declare war on your clan and after 7 days or so a winner is decided based on kills to death.  

But to say you've been here and done that...no...AA does have a lot to offer that is in depth.  

true.

war dec pvp is the only reputable kind. Gank pvp is just bullshit lazyness

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    Originally posted by An4thor
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    This is a themepark MMO that has LOTS of features. Sandbox it is not.

Never been a sandbox, it's a sandpark.

Yeah sounds about right.

It's a decent enough game for F2P.

I'm sure it will fill the market of "can't afford subs / have a bad PC" since that seems to be the focus of it. The CryEngine 3 is capable of so much more but everything seems scaled back to allow for low end PCs to run it well.

That's its focus when there is sub?   Wth are you talking about?  I have plenty of money and a top of the line PC and I plan on playing AA a long time with a sub.  I'd say the focus is on people who enjoy a variety of open world activities in an interconnected gameplay.  Perhaps those who want some type of middle ground between the ridiculously hardcore sandbox and the instanced themepark.

Originally posted by Tyggs

The problem I have with this game is that I keep asking myself "When is this going to get fun?"

Games are played for entertainment. If you aren't entertained upon login, the game is failing at its purpose. I keep hearing "It gets fun later on!" Why isn't it fun now? That, IMO, is a big failure on the developers.

Well that might be true for YOU and that sucks lemons.  However, many of us enjoy a bit of a learning curve.  You see "fun" is subjective.  The idea of what pacing a game should have is also subjective.  Personally I think a game with as many complex features as AA needs some type of extended tutorial so that players are introduced to all the possibilities.  We've seen many sandboxes with nothing explained which leads to many bored people despite some great gameplay. 

Sure it could just be a messy workplace with tools no one knows how to use.   But that just leads to those few with all day to play to rule while those of us who don't have that time muddle about blind.  Many of the quests in AA teach players what each tool is and how to use it.  

Your statement is asking for instant gratification.   The problem with that is with no effort you don't get much in return.  

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I was playing AA and thinking on how much it looked like my days in EQ2 back in the day. Sure the graphics were a little better but nothing radical. Then it hit me, that was 10 years ago!

then in 2008 I started playing Darkall an MMO created by a small team of developers which is better than AA is today.

Its amazing how slow gaming progress has been over the last 15 years

This coming from the guy who claims AA is too combat focused.   Man you must be a dev for darkfall.  That game dreamed of being a sandbox when it's development was in Norway.  If it's so great why do you spend so much time searching for something else?  AA will have more subs on its worse day than that horrible fps wannabe on its best.  

The more I think about it, the more I think you're trying to be clever about trolling other games and promoting DF.  Good luck cause that game of basement dwellers without enough drama in their lives will never be considered a success. 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I can save a lot of people some time here. I f you are the type of player who enjoys a follow the breadcrumbs to endless scripted endgame you will hate this game. If you like me and miss old school EQ and DAoC then jump into it.

Like the OP if you think the first ten or 20 levels of this game define it then you have my blessings to leave quietly. Please go do a scripted raid hoping for a sword of uber slaying drops  while I enjoy the castle sieges, underwater exploration, and large scale naval battles. This game is not the one you are looking for. The game you are looking for released a long time ago and is called WoW

I miss DAoC

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I can save a lot of people some time here. I f you are the type of player who enjoys a follow the breadcrumbs to endless scripted endgame you will hate this game. If you like me and miss old school EQ and DAoC then jump into it.

Like the OP if you think the first ten or 20 levels of this game define it then you have my blessings to leave quietly. Please go do a scripted raid hoping for a sword of uber slaying drops  while I enjoy the castle sieges, underwater exploration, and large scale naval battles. This game is not the one you are looking for. The game you are looking for released a long time ago and is called WoW

In other words, you're blaming the players instead of the shoddy game design.

If the design leads them on breadcumbs and questing, it is the fault of the developers for not introducing other pathways of the game, from the beginning.

Let's hear your honesty, and tell me how you got your first 10-15 levels in ArcheAge.  I'm going to guess, and say that you didn't do castle sieges, underwater exploration, and large scale naval battles at level 1.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Originally posted by observer

If the design leads them on breadcumbs and questing, it is the fault of the developers for not introducing other pathways of the game, from the beginning.

Let's hear your honesty, and tell me how you got your first 10-15 levels in ArcheAge.  I'm going to guess, and say that you didn't do castle sieges, underwater exploration, and large scale naval battles at level 1.

Not sure what he did.

But I quested until I got a farm, then I only quested to unlock things.

Raised crops => Made trade packs => Turned them in to get my donkey => worked more on gathering => Made a boat => Did cross sea trading. => Worked with several guild members made a trade ship and we done trade runs on various nights.

Outside of doing things with them I did underwater mining at around level 15. I sailed into the sea and collected trade packs from under water where people died and turned them in. I level crafts. I farmed clams several places in the ocean for $$ while looking for sunken treasure.

I almost went from almost 15 to 50 without doing a single quest. In a fairly short time.

Questing is a choice in AA. You can choose not to do it at all... and you can level just as fast in other ways.  It is there and there is alot of it, but it is not required.  Like most things it is a choice in this game.

Crafting is there but it is not required. Arena/warzones are there but it is not required. Trade runs are there but it is not required. Dungeons are here but they are not required. You can build a ship and pirate or you can never own a ship. You can run multiple farms or you can earn money other ways. You can hunt large boss mobs that take 50 ppl to kill, or you can skip it all together. You can go out with a buddy and do sports fishing or you can take your boar and sink said fishing boat.

That is what draws people to AA. You can do what ever you want. It is not a sandbox but it is very far from a themepark as most people who played in alpha will say but it is a game built horizontally not vertically.

It is a major issue in the game that it starts you with questing. Quest I think most will tell you are one of the weakest areas of AA and it is NOT why most people are playing it and the majority in alpha really like it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

How is this game like EQ or DAOC really? The more I read about it and look into it the more it sounds like a hodgepodge of WOW, L2, EVE and Archelord with some housing and other "sandboxy" features thrown in. It really doesn't sound like that grand adventure like EQ, nor that Realm fueled warfare of DAOC.

Neither of those games were about FFA PVP, moving goods from place to place, avoiding pirates.etc.. I'll give the game a shot eventually but I certainly won't be expecting EQ or DAOC.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Xatsh

Not sure what he did.

Raised crops => Made trade packs => Turned them in to get my donkey => worked more on gathering => Made a boat => Did cross sea trading. => Worked with several guild members made a trade ship and we done trade runs on various nights.

Outside of doing things with them I did underwater mining at around level 15. I sailed into the sea and collected trade packs from under water where people died and turned them in. I level crafts. I farmed clams several places in the ocean for $$ while looking for sunken treasure.

I almost went from almost 15 to 50 without doing a single quest. In a fairly short time.

Questing is a choice in AA. You can choose not to do it at all... and you can level just as fast in other ways.  It is there and there is alot of it, but it is not required.  Like most things it is a choice in this game.

Crafting is there but it is not required. Arena/warzones are there but it is not required. Trade runs are there but it is not required. Dungeons are here but they are not required. You can build a ship and pirate or you can never own a ship. You can run multiple farms or you can earn money other ways. You can hunt large boss mobs that take 50 ppl to kill, or you can skip it all together. You can go out with a buddy and do sports fishing or you can take your boar and sink said fishing boat.

That is what draws people to AA. You can do what ever you want. It is not a sandbox but it is very far from a themepark as most people who played in alpha will say but it is a game built horizontally not vertically.

It is a major issue in the game that it starts you with questing. Quest I think most will tell you are one of the weakest areas of AA and it is NOT why most people are playing it and the majority in alpha really like it.

May I inquire as to how you did all that with the ridiculously lameness that is labor points?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Xatsh

Not sure what he did.

May i ask if you already knew this knowledge, by reading up on the game as a follower, or did you happen to do all this as a fresh player?  Because i didn't see anything in game directing me to these alternative paths.  Some will say, go explore, don't have your hand held, etc., but keep in mind, it's a limited beta, and time is limited if one wants to try out higher end content, and the fastest way to level for me was by questing.  I tried grinding mobs, but that wasn't viable at all.

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

Archeage by far the best sandbox / sandpark mmo ever made bar Eve Online.

Being on Russia servers and for a time on the akpha servers i cant et enough of it.

Its been a blast from level one to level 50 as it offers a themepark style with sandboxs elements.

XLGames combined the best of both worlds in a awesome pvp game.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Its the same old quest grind with meaningless PVP at the end

I'll pass

• audioshoesaudioshoes Member UncommonPosts: 8
    So take your time and allow the information to stick.
  • audioshoesaudioshoes Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I have yet to understand why people don't venture outside of quests to level. There is plenty to do, and PvP does have meaning.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

If you dislike hotdogs don't eat at Weinershnitzl

If you dislike  steak stay away from Black Angus

If you dislike crowds stay away from Disneyland

I really don't understand why you need to list pretty much the core features of an MMO as warning items.

You could of condensed your entire post to, if you dislike MMO's don't play Archeage.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

The OP has stated some of the gameplay mechanics I agree with.

I been playing the beta for the last 2 days, though the world feels new,refreshing and exciting to me, I am still left on the fence with this title.

After WS being a no go for me and it's multi zillion quest hub pixelated high contrast color mmo with bad humor, this game did seem promising since it was another mmo going into a different direction, however my main gripe (and this is me of course) is the Asian style graphics (been there and done that with Aion, TERA and Lineage 2) and could never get into any of these games for some reason.

The game does seem pretty amazing gameplay wise, but damn those graphics and I am not even a graphic game kind of person since I still play AC, AO and even the original EQ now and then. There is just something about Asian style MMO's I cannot click with.

I am going to hold off on this title even though it has the capability to be very successful, but it doesn't look like my style of mmo for now.

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

I been playing the beta for the last 2 days, though the world feels new,refreshing and exciting to me, I am still left on the fence with this title.

After WS being a no go for me and it's multi zillion quest hub pixelated high contrast color mmo with bad humor, this game did seem promising since it was another mmo going into a different direction, however my main gripe (and this is me of course) is the Asian style graphics (been there and done that with Aion, TERA and Lineage 2) and could never get into any of these games for some reason.

The game does seem pretty amazing gameplay wise, but damn those graphics and I am not even a graphic game kind of person since I still play AC, AO and even the original EQ now and then. There is just something about Asian style MMO's I cannot click with.

I am going to hold off on this title even though it has the capability to be very successful, but it doesn't look like my style of mmo for now.

I also hated asian looking mange style woman with ultra boobs and no panty's on.

Yet Archeage did change it into a more 50/50 style.

It aint that bad compared to most other asian mmo's.

Maybe you need to wait a little longer when the Dwarfs / Warborn are released :)

• kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

You really cant review mmo game if you havent spent some time on its "endgame",
    I didnt play the game but i did watch youtube and read about it and well the leveling part in this game is just the easy approch that must of the companies take to create the world ,which is ALOT easier then creating a true open world sandbox mmo from the start,
    but once u hit max level it becomes alot more unique... with its postives and negetives.

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I am in total love with this game so far......I spend hours just dueling yesterday and that alone was a blast!
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Demrocks
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

I also hated asian looking mange style woman with ultra boobs and no panty's on.

Yet Archeage did change it into a more 50/50 style.

It aint that bad compared to most other asian mmo's.

Maybe you need to wait a little longer when the Dwarfs / Warborn are released :)

Sounds about right Demrocks, and by the way, thanks for that info, I did not know that, both those races look more my style.

Apparently there really isn't a ugly playable race in this game now, it looks like all characters male can wear eyeliner which is quite disturbing. 

I think I will try out the Firran race instead for now until they bring in the Dwarf and Warborn.