Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Spellcrafting 101

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

One of the upcoming features I'm most looking forward to is Spellcrafting. I'm pasting below the highlights from Duffy over at duffy.net who always does a great job with tis kind of stuff. You can go there also and get transcripts of today's Quakecon conference if you want to find out about the other stuff (Imperial City PVP dungeon, Justice System, etc.)

Can't wait for this, sounds great.

Duffy's ESO Quakecon transcript

Spellcrafting with Nicke Konkle

• You are going to be able to find and combine various spell effects in the game and create new abilities you can put on your hotbar.
  • It is a bound system that is not completely unbalancing the game.
  • It might be something you can only do after you have completed the Mage Guild quest line.
  • Mage Guild discover new ancient doorways and found new ways to organize magic.
  • A lot of exploration in this system, you get a spell that summon a ball you have to chase to find the various ancient doorways located all over the world.
  • Inside the doorways you will find stone tablets. Some are whole, some are broken into pieces and scattered all over the world.
  • Using an interactive UI, similar to lockpicking, you will be using charcoal and paper on the tablet to recreate the spell and collect it.Once you collected the spell, you throw them into a book of all the spells you have collected.

eso-spellcraftingeso-spellcrafting-2eso-spellcrafting-3

• Once you collected the spells, you want to recreate the tablets you found in order to learn that spell. First thing you do is to collect the base effect of the spell using the method described above. You can then customize it by using different focus (morphs).
    • Base, Ultimate, Enduring, Reduce Cost, Ritual, AoE.
    • If you put the AoE focus on Lighting Bolt you will create a chain lightning spell. If you put the enduring focus on a flame antronach it will become a permanent pet. You can use the ultimate to make the spells into ultimates.

eso-spellcrafting-4

• The better stone you use for the tablets to create the spells, the more powerful and expensive the spell will be. Tablets can be traded with other players. Once the tablet is consumed, it will grant you the permanent ability.
  • In summary, you explore the world to collect base spells and then customize it with the six different focus and different stones for the tablets.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,982
    Sounds like players might have to use their brains for this, so not sure how well it will be received. :)
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

nice bit of info. one of the things was missing from the game was the ability to make spells and that looks to have been sorted now.

guess had better save a few skill points for when this comes out

one thing still to put in though, the ability to make magic items such as rings and amulets

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Looks like a cool system.

I can imagine the lockpicking scenario again though with everyone struggling to do the mini game for a while :P

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Making perma pets? Definitely intrigued by this now. I love me some summoner playstyles.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Scot
    Sounds like players might have to use their brains for this, so not sure how well it will be received. :)

yea because there SURELY wont be pages listing the best combis ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,982
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Scot

yea because there SURELY wont be pages listing the best combis ^^

Thane, you are out of date, well we both are as you joined in the same year as me. That's what we used to do. If you need to look at anything online now that's not easymode. Players expect to jump in and intuitively understand everything. If that's not the case they expect hand holding in game. We already have crafting where you need to look online and ability builds where you need to look online, that was bad enough. :D

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Ardnut

one thing still to put in though, the ability to make magic items such as rings and amulets

Please, this.

Tired of trading for a mix of crafted/pve junk, plus with the new crafted sets..../drool

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community