Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera, Rift or GW2

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I bought them when they got released, but never got a max level char at either.

If I remember it correctly, my highest level chars are:

Rift: 33 or so

Tera: 21 or 25

GW2: 21

I wanted to give one of them another chance, and spend some time trying to level up a char. I don't really want to spend any money in their cash shops, but since I bought them on release, I got in some of those games some bonuses when they turned F2P.

So, according to their current game state, can anyone suggest which one might be worth most getting into? Like, in regards of playerbase, content, patches, dependance on the cash shop or whatever?

Thanks. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I haven't played TERA so I can' comment on it.

GW2 is quite different to other MMOs. I think you should try it as the value for money you are getting is just too good to be true. For the box price you are getting A LOT of content. GW2 is also really good if you don't like, can't or don't want to raid. It's very casual with tons of stuff to do which don't require a weekly schedule, 20 people and crazy long raids.

Rift is very similar to WOW but with ton's of additional features like housing. It has a nice talent tree system. It's also very traditional in the sense that you have clearly defined roles. But every one of the 4 classes can be anything depending on spec - healer, tank, dps or support.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Paulolino34Paulolino34 Member UncommonPosts: 49

If you don't wanna spend any money in cash shop go with Guild Wars 2

Anyways if you want to enjoy one of these games i would recommend first getting my max level.

Right now at this moment i would say GW2 is a nice bet. The Season 2 has just started and i'm having a blast you come now and you won't lose much on the story it is on EP2

Although if you like story in mmo's before going in i would recommend you to watch a recap of Season 1 Living story that would help yyou to catch up

Also, Level to max, get a guild, be nice, make friends and you will have a nice time

• zachary4828zachary4828 Member Posts: 3

My problem with all three of those games is that they are to close to games that I already have max level characters in and enjoy. Rift for example is a fantastic game, and if WoW was not around it would be my go to game, but when I'm playing Rift all I think about is WoW, and how they do this little thing better, and this little thing better.

The only game in there that I think has its only little bits of awesome that no other game does is Guild Wars 2, it does a lot wrong, but you just can't get some of that flavor anywhere else. I wouldn't go straight for max level though, the things that make that game special, like the jumping puzzles, are what keep you going, do them as they come up. 

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    of those 3, I would pick TERA. Go Warrior and never look back :)

Joined - July 2004

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Rift. it has by far the best F2P system I have seen so far and there is no limits on any of the content including raids.
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

And unlike the two others, you don't have to spend even a cent in GW2's cash shop... you only give if you have fun and want to support the devs.

You don't have to spend any cash in Rift either or buy the game for that matter.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

never played tera so cant comment on that one

have recently stopped playing wow and reinstalled GW2. leveld a new toon to 10 and havent logged in since. just not enjoyable to me.

i also reinstalled rift. had a few max level characters before the expansion. tried them both out and got a couple of levels and havent logged in since.

so.....go with tera. or rift. i still feel if rift came out before WoW it woujld be THE game

Originally posted by Dranny

And unlike the two others, you don't have to spend even a cent in GW2's cash shop... you only give if you have fun and want to support the devs.

You don't have to spend any cash in Rift either or buy the game for that matter.

Oh yes, if you enjoy playing games in a VERY uncomfortable way, you can play Rift for free.

I know there are some masochists out there who enjoy their way of life!

How is Rift F2P a uncomfortable way to play.? there are no pay walls in Rift every single bit of content is free including the next expac.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Oh yes, if you enjoy playing games in a VERY uncomfortable way, you can play Rift for free.

How is Rift F2P a uncomfortable way to play.? there are no pay walls in Rift every single bit of content is free including the next expac.

While I do agree with you about Rift.  Not all content is free.  For example, the souls of the last expac, and the new souls are behind pay walls.  I personally have no problem with that.  I played a harbinger melee dps mage.  I'm just saying, it's not all free.

Rift does have a great F2P system.  I never feel it necessary to buy anything I don't want.  You can literally play almost the whole game for free.  Well, only if y

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've played them and found GW2 the easiest to get back into after I've been gone for awhile.  I tend to hop around between MMO's.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160

Completely incorrect.  Also as mentioned if you buy the new xpacs for Rift, which costs the same as GW2, you even have the new souls and there is absolutely nothing you're missing.

The only reason to mention Rift's Cash shop is that you are able to buy stuff off the cash shop and put it on the AH, everything in GW2 cash shop becomes account bound.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I'd say it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're an endgame kinda guy RIFT seems to be the way to go.

Want shiny graphics and fun combat? TERA (and GW2 to a lesser extend IMO)

Looking for a great story and a world that feels alive? Hands down GW2.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GoobyYoYoGoobyYoYo Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I'd say it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're an endgame kinda guy RIFT seems to be the way to go.

Want shiny graphics and fun combat? TERA (and GW2 to a lesser extend IMO)

Looking for a great story and a world that feels alive? Hands down GW2.

That seems about right

Originally posted by MrMelGibson

While I do agree with you about Rift.  Not all content is free.  For example, the souls of the last expac, and the new souls are behind pay walls.  I personally have no problem with that.  I played a harbinger melee dps mage.  I'm just saying, it's not all free.

Rift does have a great F2P system.  I never feel it necessary to buy anything I don't want.  You can literally play almost the whole game for free.  Well, only if y

the extra souls are not needed to play any content in the game, you can play for free every single aspect of the game without the extra souls.