Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

Comments

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

I will try it when it's available for $20-30

I see a lot of people mentioning WoD as their holy grail of mmorpgs.  I hope this is not soupossed to stand for World fo Darkness sicne that has been cancelled.

• KaronethKaroneth Member UncommonPosts: 12

I just saw ESO available for $30 on Steam.

I've been enjoying ESO since launch and it was certainly worth buying for me, but everyone will have their own opinion.  It continues to improve and there is a lot left in the pipeline, such as the Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Crime system, poisons, Dragonstar Arena, housing, the other 2/3'rds if the map, etc. 

Right now, it has more soloable content than vanilla Skyrim, so even those who want to solo will be able to enjoy the story and scenery at their own pace.  It would be nice to have a 7 or 15 day free trial for sure, but I imagine one will eventually be coming.

Guildmaster, Brotherhood of Redemption
    http://www.borguild.com/
  • HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148

Worth buying? NO

Never saw a puplisher and or Developer who makes everything wrong they can do wrong.

EU Server not in EU over 3 Month! Hello?

Absolute no Gamebalance in the first 2,5 Month even now it is hardly balanced.

It may be beatiful but it is grindy as hell if you want make PvP only you need to do PvE to get you stuff.

No AH

No Account bank muling is coming back to gaming :D

No this game was realeased to early i think in about a year the should have release this game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    have they implemented any other viable play styles other than staves yet?
  • StonergravyStonergravy Member UncommonPosts: 14

Is this game worth buying?

Before i answer that let me just say my experience first. in beta i really wanted to try and like the game. I had this whole skyrim mindset and was really looking forward to it. but as i tried so many time to like the game it just never came to fruition. The game really felt like a striped down version of skyrim. the combat felt very clunky, and the rewards (ex. gear, progression points) just didn't feel there. So as you can imagine at this point iam really not liking the game, that being said i gave up on the game.

A few months go buy i keep ready stuff about ESO and wondering if anything has changed since beta. Friends and i are taking about a new game to play and the only real choices we has were ESO and Wildstar. Now for me i have beta tested both and bet you can guess what one i chose. Well it wasn't Wildstar and the reason for me the game was ok but way too much fluff for me. cartoon and fluff i cant take it serious enough. So ESO it was and we broke down and bought it.

At first like my beta impressions this game was running into the ground and i was becoming dull again. BUT i did notice some change, i was killing faster and combat was feeling quite fun. Did they change something?  now in beta i only made it to 10 and felt like that was a good test at the time, sent a few remarks nack to Bethesda and went on my way. I knew i needed to get past 10. As i kept trucking along i really started to notice more and more changes. the story were now becoming enthralling and very interesting, and before i knew it i was understanding the game and getting glued. when i hit 15 this takes you to a whole new level.  you can now at this point do so much with your character, the possibility are really in the hundreds with each toon.

Is this game worth buying? Yes

if id had only opened my eyes in the beginning and got out of the mindset of comparing games to other games and just focusing on what the game was really offering then i Probably would have found the fun sooner. if you truly want a well made game with some of the best story telling you've ever witness or some good fun combat. then this is for you.

• jwillbr13jwillbr13 Member Posts: 1
    They have to say yes, or they will lose there job. I played ESO in beta, but when they said 15.00 a month to play dropped it like WOW. I already have to buy the game, why should it cost me 15.00 a month to keep playing it?
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I think I can put the answer pretty short here - NO. The game itself is worth to buy at a cheaper price than the €50/$60 it's listed for, but it's totally not worth the monthly subscription. And as long as ESO is using a subscription system it's not worth buying.

I'm not playing ESO but it seems that almost 800K people think otherwise. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/news/read/31860/Elder-Scrolls-Online-SuperData-Research-Pegs-ESO-at-Nearly-800000-Subscribers.html

It seems that the game is doing quite well, don't you think?

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

So ... people make accounts only so they say they dont like the game ?

Interesting for people that dislike the game and generally should not care, they sure do seem to care a lot ... Just sadly can not afford the game so they chant against it and troll hard ...

Either way, the game is good at this state.

Zenimax is working hard on aditional content.

Most bugs have been fixed.

As for balance - no MMO is ever balanced. WOW is still imbalanced years later. With game that offers so many options true balance will never be achieved. Its simply not possible.

Many people returning, new players coming, looking better by the minute.

And yes - very well worth the price tag and sub.

• doug200463doug200463 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I have not had a chance to play it, and i wont play it.. Subscription based games are on their way out the door.. I will not pay a box price, and then a subscription anymore... its not beacuse i cant afford it.. its not wether or not its worth it.. Its the fact that i have been taken by game companies one too many times, I buy a box, i pay a sub, and then in a few months, they give it all away for free.. Game companies are going to milk the people who have no patience.. Long drawn out Alphas/Betas with high prices for early access, sub fee's, box fee's... not falling for it anymore.. if its not F2p then i dont bother.. I said it before and ill say it again, "Why would i pay 15 bux for a fun game to play, when there are tons of games out there that are free to play, and are just as fun.." 
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Buying, yes. Paying a sub, for? No.

This game will go B2P within a year. I will delete my account if it does not.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by doug200463
    "Why would i pay 15 bux for a fun game to play, when there are tons of games out there that are free to play, and are just as fun.." 

Because in, most of, those games you have to use the cash shop, and hence pay, if you want to have an enjoyable experience.

For me, B2P is acceptable and subscriptions if the game provides a rich massively multiplayer experience. No solo crap like ESO; those games are not worth more than B2P, like any single player game. 

F2P is to be avoided at all costs because those games are designed to keep you going to the cash shop, over and over again, rather than create a rich gaming experience on its own.

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208

I finally broke down and bought it, but I wound up not even playing it for half of the free month, so I canceled my sub.

I lost any interest in the storyline somewhere around level 10; I just got sick of listening to it. It's boring and unoriginal.

Character progression is awful; not only are we locked into classes, but you are pretty much required to pick a focus right off the bat and stick with it. Oh, you can change up, later, if you save up skill points and gear, but the classes themselves are restrictive, and there is no such thing as "synergy."

Having 3 starting areas is nice, because it mixes up the quests when you play around with new characters, but that would only be of benefit if playing around with new characters were interesting.

In short, it's just stupidly expensive for a simple hack'n'slash fantasy game.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

What happened to their "huge" story updates? Before release they were saying post-development is as important as pre-development.

4 months later and they have to bulk out the patch notes with crap like this:

Fixed many typos and voice-over/text mismatches.
    Battle Rush: Corrected a typo in this passive ability’s tooltip.
    Recovery II: Fixed a typo with this passive ability’s tooltip.
    Fixed a typo in the passive Tannin Expertise 1.

If that isn't bad enough, the top of their post about "BIG UPDATES AND MAJOR CHANGES" includes some lighting effect changes, an FOV slider and armor racks now contain low quality armor.. all 3 sound like 30 minute jobs for the designers.

This is what caused me to cancel my sub - the content updates are terrible and not as promised.

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210

I played in beta and had some fun, but kept being frustrated by bugs. If it followed the GW2 model of a 1 time purchase I'd buy it, but there's no way I'm going to pay a sub for it. It was the same for ST:TOR, I waited until the F2P option and now play it occasionally. Same for Lotro; I returned when it went F2P and I've bought several expansions. I play it fairly regularly now.

I cycle through different games depending on the mood I'm in, so monthly subs are not acceptable. There are far more decent F2P games available than I have time, so I see no reason to commit to a monthly fee. I've played Eve when I've got an offer to play for a while for free or minimal cost, but again I'm not willing to pay a monthly for it.

I'm currently having some fun in Landmark (it was worth the $20 founders pack) and looking forward for the beta for EQ Next to start as it should be an interesting innovative game.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Originally posted by dadown

I played in beta and had some fun, but kept being frustrated by bugs. If it followed the GW2 model of a 1 time purchase I'd buy it, but there's no way I'm going to pay a sub for it. It was the same for ST:TOR, I waited until the F2P option and now play it occasionally. Same for Lotro; I returned when it went F2P and I've bought several expansions. I play it fairly regularly now.

I cycle through different games depending on the mood I'm in, so monthly subs are not acceptable. There are far more decent F2P games available than I have time, so I see no reason to commit to a monthly fee. I've played Eve when I've got an offer to play for a while for free or minimal cost, but again I'm not willing to pay a monthly for it.

I'm currently having some fun in Landmark (it was worth the $20 founders pack) and looking forward for the beta for EQ Next to start as it should be an interesting innovative game.

If you don't want to pay a sub for a P2P game, you buy it and do not sign up for the sub. Simples.

Forever playing betas you are going to get a very lopsided few of what MMOs are about, but each to their own.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

This is such a loaded question and a stupid one, not everyone will say yes or no, why try to drag a product down with two negative slanted articles.

I bought the game so the answer for me is yes, it offers what I like, good in depth content siege pvp, my toon feels like it lives in the world and not just playing though the world, it has the most meat on the bone of any mmo launched for a very long  time. for me.

Third party data mining shows the game has a pretty good player base of subs, and Quake Con, they talked about the future, and new things coming, and so far they have pretty much delivered, I see my sub money at work, as the game grows and expands, it is a new game 3 months is nothing in the scheme of things. I really don't know what people want these days or expect, for me this has been one of my best gaming experiences in a long time, I have played Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall and mmo's since the late 90's I have been around the mmo block a few times.

• zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69
    ESO is a GREAT game and definitely worth buying.  I see bright futures for ESO.
  • YrthWyndAndFyreYrthWyndAndFyre Member UncommonPosts: 9

I think it's worth every cent.  In WoW, I got 2 toons to 85, but only every really used my druid. The demands on a healer's time simply precluded advancing any other 'toon.  In SWTOR, same issue.  I got two toons to max, but wound up playing the healer all the time.

In ESO, there are no hard-and-fast lines like that.  There are better healers, but no armor or weapons restrictions, and anybody can learn to heal.  So a heavily armored healer is perfectly reasonable and survivable, and by hitting one key, you can switch your healer to a tank or DPS configuration.  That option is not denied to you simply because of a choice you made at level 0.  You can re-spec into healing at VR12 if you like, no matter what you've built your toon out to be.  Your race and class you are stuck with, but what your toon actually is?  No choice is fundamentally precluded - ever.

I now have Three veteran level toons, and a fourth and fifth up-and-coming.  I'm actually trying out different class lines, and different builds - something I never had time for in other MMOs.  I PvP a lot.  I never PvP'd much in other MMOs because a healer's life-span on the battle-field typically can be counted in seconds on your fingers.  But since I'm not bound to that particular characteristic, my best 'healer' is also a good DPS and can give every bit as good as she gets.  She does just fine on the battle-field, and is pretty damn handy with a catapult, too.  Oh, and she can heal.

ESO as it stands right now is three and a half months old.  I've been playing since December, so I have closer to seven months in. A lot of things have changed.  But a lot of  things have stood out from the beginning.

You have  lot of freedom in your skill development.  And you have a lot of responsibility.  The exact same skill lines can make a great toon or a lame duck - your choice.  Crafting actually *counts*.  It's not just a throw-away to get experience faster.  Alchemy and Enchanting, which in other MMOs are basically the only two skill lines that have any sustainability, are no more useful than anything else.  All crafting lines share an uncommon trait (for MMOs).  You can make better than you can buy - for anything.  Better potions, better enchantments, better swords, better staves, better bows, better armor, and better food.  It's worth your effort to get good at them because it's good for *YOU* - and coincidentally profitable.

Is the end-game weak?  Yep.  I bet WoW's end-game was no great shakes when it was three months old, either.  But there's a difference. In WoW, you can experience all of the game content in two months.  They need the end-game because *that's all there is*. 

In ESO, there is enough game content to keep me amused for another year and a half, so I'm not concerned.   By the time the end-game content is ready, I'll have a few toons ready, too.  In any case, it doesn't really matter, because I don't *HAVE* to fight raid bosses to get the best gear.  I *MAKE* the best gear - custom-tailored to be exactly what I want.  When the time comes to fight the end-game bosses, I'll be fighting them for the challenge, not because I want the special sword that drops from the fifth boss.  And I won't have to kill that exact same boss 50 times to get that sword because everybody else is rolling on it, too.  I'll still be fighting just for the challenge.  I already have the best sword.  I know that because I made it.

If you're looking for something WoW-like, then play  WoW.  We can live without the all the pathetic, "But this isn't WoW!" whiners.  The world has had WoW for years.  You'll notice that it hasn't improved anything.  ESO is fundamentally different on pretty much every level and the only MMO of its kind.  I think it will do well, and if the other several million players that Blizzard lost are looking for something really different, maybe they'll find it in ESO.  

Is it worth the money to buy?  The subscription fee?  The money I spent on WoW, SWTOR, Guild Wars I and II and many others plus the subscription fees for some of them - I consider *that* wasted money.  So far, ESO has been worth every penny.  The first time I can honestly say that of *any* MMO.  

The bugs?  I've been writing software for 35 years.  There is no bug-free software.  If you can't deal with a few bugs, then stop using all forms of software.  And for dog's sake stop trying to make it sound like ESO is the very first game with bugs.  VTMB as released was buggier than a rat's nest full of rotten fruit salad, but it was dearly loved and retained a strong following for *years* because it was a terrific *game*. The bugs will die.  They always do.  Others will take their place.  They always do that, too.  Eventually, what bugs there are will be trivial enough to ignore.   Fortunately, since there is plenty of other stuff to keep me amused, waiting for the fixes isn't really that bothersome.  It's not the end of the world.

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Cougan

Some of these comments seem like they didn't read the article at all.

I think its worth buying for the 1-50 alone... but I will hold off continuing my playing until some of these updates hit like Thieves Guild, crime system, housing etc. Its not going anywhere.

I cant see it going F2P "in a few months" because the console release hasnt even occured yet. They're not tossing in cash shop pets, new mounts or anything to make extra revenue so they dont seem to be desperate for money.

exactly ,this game wont be f2p anytime soon. It is a quality game if you enjoy immersion and amazing scenery. The storylines are really very good. Grouping can be hit or miss. i had the most fun playing with people i got to know. I would buy eso again if i had to.

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108

$60 AND $15 a month AND a store is too much.   Just curious though, let's say they lower the price drastically.....is it possible to join the game this late and enjoy it ?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

I think it is about 25$ on Steam.

Can I ask you why you think you would be coming in late? This the standard form now, all join at launch, all leave within a month or two. It is that sort of content locust mentality that is killing MMO's.

And you joined in 2004, surely you know there can be more to MMOs than that?

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147
    For the first 50 levels ESO was made for me, for the most part. After 50 levels I don't even care to look at it. Cyrodiil was great at first but they wrecked it with their VR5 mob buff that took all rhyme and reason away from the 'autolevel 50' feature originally in the game. Basically Zenimax listened to one type of player. If you aren't that type of player just figure the game only goes to 50. 

To dream, perhaps to be.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I think I can put the answer pretty short here - NO. The game itself is worth to buy at a cheaper price than the €50/$60 it's listed for, but it's totally not worth the monthly subscription. And as long as ESO is using a subscription system it's not worth buying.

I'm not playing ESO but it seems that almost 800K people think otherwise. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/news/read/31860/Elder-Scrolls-Online-SuperData-Research-Pegs-ESO-at-Nearly-800000-Subscribers.html

It seems that the game is doing quite well, don't you think?

I used to run stats for a large company and I can tell you, based on how you run the stats, what you include and what you don't, you can make stats come out nearly anyway you want.  People who believe something because it's presented as a fact without the criteria they used to create it, need to think again.  Interesting this also surfaced during QuakeCon and the Steam discount.  Very good marketing.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

Ohhh, the hate is strong here.... Lol.

I must admit I have been thinking of trying this out. But I would never buy it at full price. It doesn't seem complete enough to be full price....

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

Ohhh, the hate is strong here.... Lol.

I must admit I have been thinking of trying this out. But I would never buy it at full price. It doesn't seem complete enough to be full price....

Well, it's discounted on Steam now.  I say why not go for it.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey