Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone following the BSC days religiously?

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Ive been waking up and just jumping straight on the stream and massivley to read the different core system articles. I honestly dont think Ive been more impressed by a core design of an MMO in a long time. 

I feel like the lovely people at City-State are really taking a big risk since their kickstarter and are going to make one of the truely great MMO's of this time.

Anyone following this one closely?

Comments

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Yes me too.

They are sure making risky design decisions for this game

This could end only in an epic fail or an epic win. No middle ground

• Velonius650Velonius650 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I hope they don't get too caught up in trying to make this unique combat experience that ends up being even too niche for the already niche audience this game will attract (but unique enough to scare off carebears).  Bottom line is if you liked DAoC or WAR you should be drawn to this game.  Most games nowadays the PvP feels forced or it's some side attraction, game within the game, etc......this is a game I've been waiting a while for and can't wait to see how it plays out (it's also possible it sucks) but as long as they can cater to the different facets of PvP I'll be happy.  Should be able to please the zergers, small scale, stealthers, etc.   

DAOC (retired): RR11 Merc
    Upcoming: CU, Wasteland 2, Eternity, Planescape

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Ive been waking up and just jumping straight on the stream and massivley to read the different core system articles. I honestly dont think Ive been more impressed by a core design of an MMO in a long time. 

I feel like the lovely people at City-State are really taking a big risk since their kickstarter and are going to make one of the truely great MMO's of this time.

Anyone following this one closely?

I am

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Yeap... i do like to watch the streams.. be it in background when they are working and deliver me a soundtrack or all the interviews with the team or the presentations.

And yes.. they do a lot of things right.. especially Combat/Magic could be very interesting.. i liked Magicka(the magic system) a lot.. or even older from games like Dungeon Masters or Ultima Underworld.. and i am happy we see a come back of "Spell Crafting"... i am more then curious how their system will be. They already said you can prepare spells and use that or create them on the fly.. interesting to see how that turns out.

But basicly everything i have learned/heard the recent days about Camelot Unchained increased my interest in that game.. and i can't wait until it is finished.(and i have to wait a long time :( )

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    My work is suffering horrible from this BSC week. lol

You stay sassy!

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Not religiously, but I caught enough to give this a thumbs up if they can make it happen. When you listen to Mark, you can tell he is thinking way outside of the box. Big money would never take the risks he is.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Velonius650
    I hope they don't get too caught up in trying to make this unique combat experience that ends up being even too niche for the already niche audience this game will attract (but unique enough to scare off carebears).  Bottom line is if you liked DAoC or WAR you should be drawn to this game.  Most games nowadays the PvP feels forced or it's some side attraction, game within the game, etc......this is a game I've been waiting a while for and can't wait to see how it plays out (it's also possible it sucks) but as long as they can cater to the different facets of PvP I'll be happy.  Should be able to please the zergers, small scale, stealthers, etc.   

This risk is minimized when pulling ideas from proven sources. The similarities between mmorpg and pnp rpg is strong (despite developers ignoring this for a decade or more). MJ is pulling a great many concepts from pnp rpg rules which is exactly what most developers did either directly or indirectly from MUDs and single player rpgs which all directly pulled from pnp games.

The magic system is a clone of what MJ already did previously but not implemented yet directly into a mmo. The BSC ideas for progression, group combat rules, logical physics and a few others all have a strong presence in pnp rpg games. They have existed there for decades. They are tried and true. Pnp rpgs often have very detailed miniature rules for combat and this is little different than 3d models running around in a game in large open areas. LoS, distance for movement, range of weapons and others all are based entirely within the rules for all good pnp rpg games. Old school mmorpgs often simply translated these concepts directly into their game (because 3rd party physics engines often didn't exist and all this had to manually be emulated) along with logical reference to real life physics.

When rp'ing in a pnp rpg game you can do ANYTHING and beyond that can be done in the real world. Mmos traditionally are extremely limited in what you can do. Why have we accepted this? Why is thinking of doing something that is more like real life a bad thing in a fantasy game that is supposed to be beyond realism? We are stuck in opposite world in the land of mmos. We should be asking why are these games so limiting instead of asking why mmos should have more options than what came before them.

Not a whole lot mentioned in these presentations are actually crazy ideas. We simply aren't used to hearing them talked about in mmos these days because the same old systems have been copied from other mmos for a decade or more. Certainly originality is not the primary goal for most mmo games. MJ is really only going back to the original train of thought that made old school mmos so successful (for the audience they WANTED to attract). This might actually be the opposite of risk. Risk in mmo development today seems to be copying what others did and thinking you will succeed. Well ... not much success has been seen lately has there?

You stay sassy!

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Got most of the them live.  Really great ideas.  Can't wait to play.

• IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310
    I was until i got an invite to play on the current pre alpha server today!