Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review from New Player

DeminaDemina Member UncommonPosts: 30

I just wanted to say that I have just started playing the game and I am already liking it very much.  It is totally different than anything I have played before so there is a bit of a learning curve for me, but you know what?  That is totally ok as I enjoy learning something new.

I feel very immersed with the little movies and there is a tension of what will happen next.  I am in no hurry to get to the endgame and am enjoying the slow pace.  Also it does not have me running out to get 12 signet rings, or anything like that.  There theme seems very mature which I like.  I am a bit over playing games made for children and there is a lot to think about.

So I give this game a two thumbs up.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I also had a very good first impression when I first played it when it went b2p.  However, I soon grew tired of the "arms flailing" combat that just seemed ridiculous and the lackluster crafting.   In almost every way this is such an amazing game and very different feeling like you say.  I keep saying I'll get back to this but the combat is just so meh.
  • DeminaDemina Member UncommonPosts: 30

Hello.

No, I have not done group play yet. I am too newbish right now, ha!  I am in Kingsmouth killing undead and just figuring out how to do things and yes, it is kind of hard :)

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    My husband and I just started playing this game as well and we are both enjoying it very much! We are also still in the Kingsmouth area, so we haven't seen much of the game thus far.... However, from what I've seen the content is top notch, I love the idea of the game, what it is based on, the more mature theme and that it is so very different from other games on the market right now! I foresee us playing this game for some time, it certainly feels more difficult in pve than many games out there, but that is really nice - I often feel that games make earlier areas too easy and thus feel more grindy and boring, rather than looking at it as a challenge. In SW I feel as if the pve is more of a challenge and I love it.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Tried it, couldn't like it.

The easiest excuse was the bad animations.  I did not find them as bad as some, but they were not good.  It really detracts from the game.

The game world seemed dead.  The chat was moving, but the world seemed flat, lifeless and dull....just like every other themepark MMO (heh).

I found it boring that there was no visible equipment stuff.  You had an outfit, and you could get new clothes and stuff but not seeing loot equipped was a real let down.  You could get better weapons though, so that was pretty good.

I really disliked the story and the quests.  Most people loved this aspect of the game, but to me it seemed like a terrible rip off of a Stephen King novel.  Heck, even most Stephen King novels read like a bad rip off of his good work, but an area like Kingston (or whatever it was) held no charm.

Don't care for PVP much and certainly have no interest in playing some battleground thing.  No housing or guildhalls (maybe this game has them, not sure).

Crafting is pointless.  Absolutely pointless.  Why is it even in this game.  Most of the crap you loot is used in crafting, yet there is nothing you create that is even wanted by anyone AS you level up (just like every other themepark crafting system).

It's F2P but who cares.  My toilet is F2P and I don't care to spend any real time in there either.

• DeminaDemina Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Granted, it is not a game for everyone. But I enjoyed it and it is a bit scary at times. For 30 dollars, it is not bad and no subscription fee, not bad at all. I think I would like to find a group of folks to play with, though I think you can solo right up to the endgame.

I do not mind the crafting, though I wish people could craft clothing.
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I have to say that the SW community seems to be awesome! My hubby and I were scoping out the forums and there is a multiple page long thread that consists completely of generous people offering assistance in-game to noobies! I mean how awesome can you get? It was just people saying what server they were on and what times they played, offering guild invites and help for getting into the game and such! Pretty awesome in my book!

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    New player here. At would like to give my 2cents on this game. Just started playing a few days ago (due to the Steam sale) so far I'm loving it. At first I was turned off by the game's difficulty but once you get a couple dozen or so SP under your belt the game becomes a lot more manageable. I like how the missions actually makes you think and solve the mystery rather than just go here, kill that, badabing and you're done. I love occult stuff. Yes I know a lot of game lore are ripped off the pages from Stephen King's book (the shining, etc.) and also a lot of Lovecraft lore but there's a lot of original occult story as well. I like how the npcs are fully voiced and the VA did a great job portraying their characters. This is the first game in a long time that I actually felt that sense of wonder and achievement in surviving in the Secret World.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    im also really likeing it atm for a casual game..i like the setting of the game always gives a sence of creepyness love the action combat and the pay model is even more nice just to smooth things over i only paid 10$ for it..cant beat that..also no lvls! and all tho im not a fan of quest hubs the quests are rather good and keep you involved into the story / lore
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I also had a very good first impression when I first played it when it went b2p.  However, I soon grew tired of the "arms flailing" combat that just seemed ridiculous and the lackluster crafting.   In almost every way this is such an amazing game and very different feeling like you say.  I keep saying I'll get back to this but the combat is just so meh.

This.  Sadly, I couldn't enjoy the game when the main aspect of it was so herky jerky and felt like you weren't really hitting anything, more like your weapons were going through things.

Even more sadly, the idea for a "modern" type MMO is AMAZING and this didn't help the chances that there will be a lot more of them.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Liddokun
    Yes I know a lot of game lore are ripped off the pages from Stephen King's book (the shining, etc.) and also a lot of Lovecraft lore but there's a lot of original occult story as well.

No no, it's not ripped from the pages of a Stephen King novel... it's ripped from the pages of a Sam Krieg novel. ( Second zone of game: The Savage Coast)