Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game causes many pc user damaging overheating crashes

Ive downloed this game as a very happy camper. I was soon finding the game causing a black screen and a computer shut down say after a few minets of gameplay. I first thought it was my computer. I updated bios I updated graphic card. I updated sound card.  Still having same problems noticing game was making my system run hot. I then even turned down all graphic options to lowest possible making the game look way not to nice. Stioll had a problem. So I contacted windows live who gives access to play and was told MS told them not to assist anybody with any problems with the game. I asked why and they said because its a free game. A free game that has people spending money to play. So I then discovered the forums at the aoe online website and seen I was not the only one having the problem and not the only thinking its was there pc"s. Well now I know that its the game and the game while using a PC is causeing dangerous overheating problems. Now knowing this I feel it is us the gamers who need to let MS know they cant get away with this. I do hope it is addressed but I will not sacrifice my pc. Maybe MS wants us pc users just to buy an Xbox. Well I had one and it had the ring of death. This company needs to stop ignoring us or we shall spread the word and danage there reputation,

Comments

• TylantiaTylantia Member UncommonPosts: 69

Mike what's your system specs, maybe we can help identify the issue(s) :)

# SW:TOR : Tylantia, Sivis, Aeonis, Aehris, Xaehrin, Vhyce, Tehren, Suvis
    # Ryzom : Kasumi / Secor / Anuihlm
    # City of Heroes/Villains : @Tylantia
    # Age of Empires Online : Tylantia (Abydos server)
    # Stargate Worlds : Kadael
    # WoW : Tylantia, Siinaar, Sivis, Moofangles, Aehr, Cehr, Chaizen, Ocep, Tzias

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

How does your PC cope with other newer RTS? They can be pretty CPU intensive with the amount of units on screen.

• AdmiralMikeAdmiralMike Member Posts: 8

I have a Asus G73 gamers of republic laptop. It usus the I7-720 cpu a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870:Vram:1 gig and 8 gigs of memory, 1.6 turboed to 3.1 in speed. I seem to run every other game quite well. Im curious on what u think.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Set your video card so it forces wait for VSYNC to draw frames.  With this, the engine will only produce new frames at most at the refresh rate of the monitor.  That might help with heat and GPU/CPU usage.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Mike, I run a G73JH and don't have that issue with AoE:O but the black screen is a KNOWN issue on this particular series of laptops.  I believe it was notebook review that had posted a good BIOS to use to solve this.  I can't remember anymore.

SO U HAVE THE SAME MACHINE AS ME AND U PLAY WITH NO CRASHES. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE, i HAVE ALL THE LATEST UPDATES INCLUDING THE BIO. HMMM SOMETHING DOESNT SEEM RIGHT. iM AFRAID TO PLAY AGAIN BECAUSE IT CANT BE GOOD THAT MACHINE HAS SCREEN GO BLACK THEM BOOM SHUTS DOWN.............

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Clearly the computer is crashing to prevent possible thermal damage to the computer parts. I'm assuming since he was talking about a bios fix for those computers, he is using it. Hence why his wouldn't be crashing.

That sucks, but I'm slightly confused if it's based on the computer, the game itself, or both.

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Makes me laugh whenever people blame the game, the game isnt causing overheating, your lack of proper cooling is.

Any system properly setup and cooled should be able to comfortably run with both CPU and GPU maxed out, its a standard stability test to do so, one that overclockers especially employ all the time.

Increase fan speeds for both CPU and GPU, via bios and software/drivers, or invest in some better cooling. Most people run at stock settings and expect things to manage themselves perfectly, where in reality for a gamer that often doesnt happen when under load.

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Ex0dUs101

Makes me laugh whenever people blame the game, the game isnt causing overheating, your lack of proper cooling is.

Any system properly setup and cooled should be able to comfortably run with both CPU and GPU maxed out, its a standard stability test to do so, one that overclockers especially employ all the time.

Increase fan speeds for both CPU and GPU, via bios and software/drivers, or invest in some better cooling. Most people run at stock settings and expect things to manage themselves perfectly, where in reality for a gamer that often doesnt happen when under load.

I have to completely agree...   However in some situations, a poorly coded program can cause the CPU/GPU to overwork itself causing it to heat.  Often the case with infinite looping.     It's hard to get a proper cooling system for a laptop when running under a max load.  I think his best bet is to get a CPU that runs at a cooler temperature setting in stock, such as an i3.    That or invest in some common knowledge in A+ lol.

THE THING IS IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM AND ITS THE ONLY GAME GIVING ME THIS PROBLEM. NO OTHER GAME PLUS I FALL COMPLETELY SAFE IN THE SPECS FOR THE GAME AND EVEN RUNNING THE GAME ON LOWEST SETTINGS POSSIBLE iT STILL HAPPENS AND GET THIS GUYS. WINDOWS LIVE STATED TO ME THAT THEY ARE DIRECTED TO HELP ANYONE WITH ANY ISSUES WITH THAT GAME BECAUSE ITS A FREE GAME YET i KNOW OF SOME WHO HAVE PAID AND CANT PLAY BECAUSE OF A SIMILIAR ISSUE. SO APPARENTLY MS DONRT CARE. THEY HAVE THE XBOX PLAYERS. THEY ARE TRYING TO INCORPORATE US PC USESER BUT IGNORING US MAKES NO SENSE,

• adam42003adam42003 Member Posts: 25

Its ironic I ran across this post because for months now I've had various issues with my computer. In my search for the problem I've replaced some compoments. After I upgraded my motherboard, another issue sprung up. My computer would now shut off during random games. Age of Empires Online was the first game I noticed this on. My video card was very hot. I assumed it was one of my video cards so i tested each one seperately and was able to reproduce the effect with just one of the cards, the other card worked fine by itself. So i figured my card was overheating, my computer was shutting down to protect itself. So i decided to just use the other video card by itself until I could replace the "bad" video card. I ran age of empires again, this time I was able to play a mission, and then it blue screened later. Both cards have now given me problems with this game.  So maybe it wasn't overheating issues. After much brainstorming and internet searching I decided to replace the power supply and lo and behold I've had no issues since, I've even put both video cards back in, and the computer doesn't shut down during this game. Still gets hot, but doesn't shut down. Turns out if the power supply can't supply enough power to a video card, it will shut down. This may have been what was happening all along.

I was able to reproduce this effect in other games so I'm not blaming this game. Rusty Hearts on steam made my computer shut down even faster and that was at the low resolution it defaults to. I couldn't make it to an option screen to change the resolution.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case you haven't thought of your power supply being the issue.

iTS SEEMS YOU MAY HAVE FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM YOU ARE HAVING. i REALLYU DONT WANT TO CHANGE THE POWER SUPPY THAT HAS COME WITH THIS LAPTOP. i FIGURE THEY KNOW WHAT THERE DOING OVER AT ASUS. aFTER ALL THIS IS A REPUBLIC OF GAMERS COMPUTER. aNYWAYS THE AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF IS SOMETHING iLL RATHER HAVE IF IT IS HELPING PROTECT MY LAPTOP, i DO WANNA PLAY THIS GAME AND THIS IS THE ONLY GAME THAT HAS CAUSED ME THE ISSUE. lIKE i SAID THERE ARE OTHERS WHOM HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. jUST PISSED THAT MS SEEMS NOT TO CARE. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

• adam42003adam42003 Member Posts: 25

yeah i forgot you said it was a laptop, but power supplies do go bad. I would assume even laptop ones.

WELL HOPEFULLY ONE DAY THEY WILL ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM SO i CAN PLAY. I CANT PLAY THE OTHERS FOR THEY DO NOT WORK ON WONDOWS 7. iF I WAS HAVING ANY OTHER PROBLEMS WITH OTHER GAMES CAUSING THE SAME PROBLEMS I WOULD THINK IT WAS ME BUT IM NOT SO ITS THE GAME ITSELF SO I STILL STAND WITH THE NOTION OF BEIGHN CAREFULL PLAYING. MAYBE THE NEXT PATCH WILL ADDRESS THE PROBLEM IF SO ILL BUY THE FULL VERSION UNTIL THEN I WONT LOG ONTO IT AGAIN UNTIL I HEAR OTHERWISE.

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

I had a similar problem when playing AoE:O, that my laptop will suddenly have black screen and shut down. But I found out that I've played the game too long running on battery and it sucks the battery life faster when all components are running at peak performance.

If you are playing while plugged in and you're sure that it's not your battery, I would suspect that your laptop has dust built up inside that generates a lot of heat. Also if any of your fan fails, specially on your GPU, CPU, an PSU, it can generate a lot of heat in short amount of time.

But for the most part, it's a hardware issue and not the game.

Ready for GW2!!!
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

Definitly a hardware issue, easy on the caps, it hurts my eyes!

Ok sorry about the caps and all but im going to disagree with you because ive read many forums and what alot of people think is happening is that since I have a higher end game machine the framereates are super fast causeing everything to run super fast. this is the only game it does it on. so im going to disgree with u 2 guys. i do have some air to blow inside again to try and revove the dust .....thanks....

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by AdmiralMike

Ok sorry about the caps and all but im going to disagree with you because ive read many forums and what alot of people think is happening is that since I have a higher end game machine the framereates are super fast causeing everything to run super fast. this is the only game it does it on. so im going to disgree with u 2 guys. i do have some air to blow inside again to try and revove the dust .....thanks....

I'm going to go with hardware issue too sorry. AoE makes my system run no hotter than any other RTS.

By the way it can be something as simple as they didn't put enough heat paste on in the production lines to cause overheating. But I generally never use a laptop to game with ever. Did it a while ago laptop cooling is just shit compared to desktops.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by AdmiralMike

Disagree all you want, if the problem is limited mostly to you, or your particular brand/model of laptop than the problem lies with the hardware, not the software.

No PC software works on every piece of hardware, there are even people who can't run WOW successfully.  Not saying the software isn't trying to push the hardware through its paces, it's up to the hardware to moderate itself and handle the situation gracefully.

And you're really misplaced in your blame of MS, has nothing to do with them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

looks like a purely hardware issue, the OP could invest in additional cooling for his laptop, which in all fairness, they do tend to have more heat/cooling issues than desktop systems, one of the best solutions i've come across is a pad that the laptop sits on, that has inbuilt fans, its not perfect, and the additional powerdrain on the USB ports is probably not ideal. additionally, gaming laptops probably need frequent cleaning, dust buildup can be a problem that can lead to further cooling issues.

the best test of how well your pc, laptop or otherwise, handles heat generation, is to use the 'torture' test in Prime95, its a freebie from mersenne that also tests your cpu and ram, if you can run that for 30 minutes then your computer should be okay with heat generation, if not.. then you need to get it looked at.image

OK GUYS A PATCH HAS COME OUT AND RUNNING THIS GAME ON THE HIGHEST SETTINGS NOW WORKS WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. NOT AN ISSUE OF OVERHEATING WHICH VERIFIES ITS NOT MY MACHINE BUT WAS THE GAME ITSELF. NOT TO RUB IT IN BUT IT DOES FEEL GOOD TO BE RIGHT......

• Veridiano02Veridiano02 Member UncommonPosts: 4

As always, this forum has been proben completely useless. It's not a hardware issue, since it happens not a dozen of users, but the 50% of the players base. It happens to me, and I can be playing and recording games way more power demanding with full settings in my PC. And only with one game, my PC crashes. My PC costs at least 8000$ and it's the best tech the money can buy. 

So it's not a hardware problem. Maybe that's the solution all that the useless and the "tech help" of this forums, without any kind of knowledge is what you want, so that way you have to search nothing, but that doesnt' make that true. 

And please, delete this piece of shit you call post, because can make some other people looking in google fall into this senseless rambling and even trying to make their PCs better when they have not. 

Thanks for your time. 

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    solution to the problem is this game is getting shut down. problem solved