Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

Comments

• fobothfoboth Member UncommonPosts: 4

"... this aspect of the game ruins any sense of alliance pride. You’ve just completed your own faction story line where you’ve been told how horrible the other two factions are, and why you’re at war with them. Now you’re going to experience their stories and learn about how horrible your faction is. So much for Pride."..."

This at least for me, smell as bad gameplay, sorry ESO, but not even worth of try, make a consistent world, where you can play as you like really, and then, even if you hit the F2P (not P2Win) state, I'll give you a chance (I'm a Elderscrolls fan... but not the kind of fan that you can exploit so easy).

Good article.

Best Regards.-

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162

If you have to ask the question....

Anyhow, I'd suggest waiting until there is a free trial available. Maybe you will like it, odds are you will be disappointed as most have been. Overall it is considerably inferior to the single player Elder Scrolls games, and at best an average MMO. If you do feel compelled to buy it to try it, well, caveat emptor.

• SpcTstCrnchSpcTstCrnch Member Posts: 28

If they fixed it to were i can solo content (Quests) to max level then decide to do dungeons and trials I would but not forced to group with other people to get to max level. 

Also they would need to fix the accelerated Decay rate. 

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by ArcheAge2014

you said no mmorpg ever come out polished? World of warcraft is polished upon release only server stability issues prevent players from loging in to play.

And archeage is polished.

WoW was a complete disaster at release.

Joined - July 2004

• TechnoMonkeyTechnoMonkey Member UncommonPosts: 93
    IS THIS ARTICLE WORTH WRITING?
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I played in two beta rounds. Not a bad game but to me not worth the money and time. I don't think I will play this if it goes f2p.

The UI was too prepared for console. Press E to open a container, press R to get what is inside. Why not press E again?.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by TechnoMonkey

I agree, ESO has 100's of hours of AAA quality playable content over your average throw away 50 dollar console game that sports like what 12 hours of game play, but we have to ask. ..."Is ESO worth buying"

Are you kidding me?  I'm tired of living in upside down world.

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by goboygo
    Originally posted by TechnoMonkey

I agree, ESO has 100's of hours of AAA quality playable content over your average throw away 50 dollar console game that sports like what 12 hours of game play, but we have to ask. ..."Is ESO worth buying"

Are you kidding me?  I'm tired of living in upside down world.

People have different tastes. It's not a difficult concept and doesn't indicate in any way an 'upside down world'. You may enjoy fried bananas, but the world isn't upside down if they aren't to many people's tastes. If someone doesn't like fried bananas, it is zero enticement to tell them they can buy 50 for $5. Same with ESO - many people played and it simply wasn't to their taste. Thus not worth the money. The world retains it's correct spatial alignment.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'd lean towards the "yes if tis a cheaper b2p game" instead of b2p with sub model......THe days of the box price plus sub are going the way of the dinosaur.....
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    After i tried beta, the immediate answer was no, and it's definitely not worth a subscription.
  • gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    My thoughts exactly
  • WaruikazeWaruikaze Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Love the game.  No ifs ands or buts....
  • JackCracker411JackCracker411 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's not worth the cost to me and with a sub that's a double no. It's not that a game isn't worth the cost of the sub, but how that money is spent. I just can't see spending $200+ a year on a game just to rent access to it. In a sub game when I stop spending (subscribing) all that I have spent is suddenly cut off. If I spend $200+ on a game in a year I want something permanent out of it. With sub-free games I get that. With sub-locked game I must spend more to enjoy what I already spent. That just doesn't work for me.

So yeah, sub free (optional) games provide a better value for me. When I stop subscribing I can still enjoy the game and all that I have invested into it. With a sub game I can't.

This makes no sense.  By your logic, you'll never pay for a service based entertainment because when you unsub you are left empty handed.  Soooo... you'll never pay for cable television?  You'll never pay for the internet?  Netflix?  Hulu?  C'mon man.

What you are paying for with a sub is a steady stream of content, bug fixes, server support, game enhancements, etc.  I know some troll will say they haven't or are not delivering on these points but I call BS.  I've seen huge improvements and fixes since launch.  Can't remember the last time I saw a bot.  Can't remember the last time I received a gold spam shout in zone or via in game mail.  FPS issues in PVP are fixed.  They continue to work on balancing the classes.  It takes time.. but people want everything done overnight.  Three months in and ZOS is delivering the goods... period.  Anyone that says otherwise is just one of those types that will never be satisfied.  

• DokkodoDokkodo Member UncommonPosts: 10

My sentiments exactly. My experience is based on beta, but from what I've played the game is a below average elder scrolls game and an average MMO. 

If it were free to play I'd give it another shot, but for the price it is definitely not worth it. 

Originally posted by remyburke

you said no mmorpg ever come out polished? World of warcraft is polished upon release only server stability issues prevent players from loging in to play.

And ArcheAge has been out since Jan 2013.  Is this guy really comparing games that have been out for years to a game that just released?  smh

• mraneremranere Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Not with a subscription it isn't. Maybe for $35 flat and that's it. The game is just... meh. Nothing really new or interesting. It's just a mediocre game but, because it has the Elder Scrolls name, it's a thing. If it was a different thing altogether, it would not be worth any mention at all.
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by JackCracker411

And ArcheAge has been out since Jan 2013.  Is this guy really comparing games that have been out for years to a game that just released?  smh

Look on the bright side, if WoW released tomorrow like it did back then, it would have been boiled in oil just like every other game out there.  Reality is, WoW survived... ESO on the other hand, is still being boiled.  

On that note, anyone who was considering ESO would have already tried it by now... if they haven't yet, they either aren't going to or are waiting until it's either F2P or no longer a subscription model. 

Originally posted by Foobarx

Look on the bright side, if WoW released tomorrow like it did back then, it would have been boiled in oil just like every other game out there.  Reality is, WoW survived... ESO on the other hand, is still being boiled.  

On that note, anyone who was considering ESO would have already tried it by now... if they haven't yet, they either aren't going to or are waiting until it's either F2P or no longer a subscription model. 

Console release my friend.  A lot of people forget about this.  It was a big deal for FF ARR and I think it will do well for ESO as well.  Time will tell though.  Also, I think there is a decent amount of people (unlike myself because I like the torture) who give MMOs some time to work out the kinks.  They'll eventually give it a try.  F2P is out of the question... I'd rather see the game fade into "Oblivion" ;)  Maybe they can reduce the box cost or drop sub cost to $9.99. 

• year3214year3214 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    no the game is not worth buying and in world of warcraft any boss below 300mil only takes like 5mins to kill with the correct team so a wow raid is only like 30-50mins 
  • JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    TESO and Wildstar are games with B2P/F2P tags just waiting on them. All they are trying to do is milk as much money as they can before the inevitable. WoW will follow suit thanks to WoD.

I'm laughing so hard i'm still wiping tears from my eyes after reading this LOL  XD

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Foobarx

ESO is still selling around 6k physical boxes per week, and most likely 2-3 times that in digital downloads. You might be waiting awhile if you are waiting  for them to give away 360k+ per week image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DrailliDrailli Member CommonPosts: 34

In my mind, no, it isn't. If I could go back in time and stop myself from buying it I would. The game failed to make a good first impression on me after launch. I kept complaining through beta about bugs, kept hearing they will be fixed by launch, and they were not. The constant issues there, people duplicating items, and other factors that destroyed the economy just made it horrible. 

Sure, it's better now, but this is the first mmo I put down and didn't pick back up again after just one and a half weeks of playing. Which is sad when this is also the first mmo I played while having a real job. So I was playing at most an hour a day for that week. It may be better now, but even with me expecting it to be different it still fell way to flat for me to enjoy it.

• mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

ESO = a rushed buggy game that has horrible management.

its not worth the box price or a sub.

I was stoked for it in beta, then I saw how crappy it released and how even worse it was managed.  I thought it was going to be a PvP game and PvP is the last on their list/, which is kinda ironic because the PvE is horrible.

craiglorn, the big expansion zone they released is lol bad, they didnt even bother to try switching mobs up in the dungeons, its basically the same things over and over.

The PvP design is lol bad,  4 classes and the sorc can basically exit pvp combat any time they feel with a teleport spell = 80% of the PvPers are sorcs.  People been complaining of this since release and they still have not fixed it, they patched it but it was useless as it is a get out of PvP skill any time a sorc chooses.

If you like to throw away money then go for it, otherwise I would wait for it to go F2P, and that cant be far off since the management and design team really have zero clue what they hell they are doing.  even if this was F2P i doubt most people would stay with the game over a month or two.

• mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23
    oh and lest not even mention the hackable client and all the spam they have zero clue how to deal with, I never been spammed so much in any game.  All though even by now I bet even the spammers quit this steaming pile of dog crap.  Google the hacks in the game and see if this is the kind of PvP game you want to play.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I think I can put the answer pretty short here - NO. The game itself is worth to buy at a cheaper price than the €50/$60 it's listed for, but it's totally not worth the monthly subscription. And as long as ESO is using a subscription system it's not worth buying.

^

Pretty much this, I would also say if it was B2P with a cash shop like GW2 I would play it in a heartbeat.