Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In my last column I asked a rather heated question, is ESO Dying? This is a question I get asked a lot during my livestreaming sessions.  Another question I get asked is going to be the focus of this column. Is The Elder Scrolls Online worth buying?

Read more of Ryan Getchell's Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I think I can put the answer pretty short here - NO. The game itself is worth to buy at a cheaper price than the €50/$60 it's listed for, but it's totally not worth the monthly subscription. And as long as ESO is using a subscription system it's not worth buying.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    For these type of questions avoid any official MMORPG column/opinion.  It is best to stick with player advice. Read the opinion of current players and check out the forums.  These official/unofficial MMORPG reviews/impressions are not the way to go.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    When people write articles about a game being worth to buy or not, then by rule and not exception, it probably isn't.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

ESO couldnt grab me for whatever reason, maybe the skill system, but I KNOW part of it was the dungeons.  They just felt so bla.  

I actually think FF14 is a nice middle ground between Wildstar's HARDCORE!!1!!one! and ESO's somewhat overly casual nature.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Loved it at first.  Dev decisions keep it going down hill.  I watch it everyday hoping for a turnaround.  In short won't buy, will observe.

Also, could they please add player created content like STO and NW has...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

I happen to think it's worth every penny. I love the story, I find the content fun, the voice acting and graphics to be top notch, and there are so many options for what skills to use my character that I sometimes am paralyzed because I don't know what to choose!

I'm only VR1, so I've really taken my time, with only a few low level alts. My wife and I complete everything in the zones, and can only play a few hours a week, so for us it's a worthwhile investment. And we love the PvP, as we did back in our DAoC days. Now if only they would add battlegrounds like DAoC did them...

Haters gonna hate I guess, but I have no problem paying for what I enjoy. YMMV.

• proudhoofproudhoof Member Posts: 12
    Game is not worth buying for one very simple reason - if you wait a few months you'll probably be able to play it for free and not be one of the initial suckers that dished out money for it. There is absolutely no way this game will be financially viable if it does not go F2P soon so just wait and save your money for something that will not be free soon.
  • StammererStammerer Member Posts: 44

I bought this game at release and left after a couple of weeks largely due to the bugs and bots.

I returned earlier this month and was killed almost immediately after logging in on two separate occasions by invisible mobs.  I then explored for a while, but the world just seemed dead.  It appears that everyone is either at end game or has just moved on.  

I have felt no real urge to go back again and I doubt I will.    

As said above as well, I cannot see how this game can survive with a subscription, so wait for the F2P iteration in a few months.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"(June 16th 2014) there has been an issue in the game that is causing some players to drop drastically in FPS when fighting other players. Since this patch, Zenimax has been releasing a fix for this every week. These fixes haven’t fully corrected the issue but it has alleviated it for many players.  Even though they haven’t nailed down the exact cause of the issue they are correcting it. This shows that Zenimax cares about the game and wants it to be the best experience for everyone. Personally, I haven’t had the FPS bug in a few weeks and I PvP all the time."

You haven't had it because it's fixed :) Things have been pretty awesome.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Bummer, I wonder how the folks at Zenimax truly feel about all this.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• StammererStammerer Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by bcbully

Wow, mmorpg.com...

Although I am not a fan of the game these articles are certainly tonally rather odd.  In fact the content of the articles is reasonable but the headlines sound like the worst kind of attention-seeking histrionics you usually see in user-threads on this site.  

Next week: Is Zenimax financially viable as a firm? 

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Some of these comments seem like they didn't read the article at all.

I think its worth buying for the 1-50 alone... but I will hold off continuing my playing until some of these updates hit like Thieves Guild, crime system, housing etc. Its not going anywhere.

I cant see it going F2P "in a few months" because the console release hasnt even occured yet. They're not tossing in cash shop pets, new mounts or anything to make extra revenue so they dont seem to be desperate for money.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    TESO and Wildstar are games with B2P/F2P tags just waiting on them. All they are trying to do is milk as much money as they can before the inevitable. WoW will follow suit thanks to WoD.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

horrible title for article

could have used this for a title  (quote from article)

Elder Scrolls Online is a completely different type of MMO

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Nevermind the bugs. Nevermind the classes are unbalanced which will make arena play a mess.  Nevermind that rvrvr is pointless. Its just a shell game of overturning keeps.  Nevermind there is no AH and the economy is broken.  Nevermind endgame content is silly and goes against the idea of realm pride. 

Go ahead and buy the game instead of waiting, but don't complain because you were warned. 

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Bummer, I wonder how the folks at Zenimax truly feel about all this.

I hope they feel really bad.

You don't take a great IP and try to make it something it isn't. SRPG does not translate into MMORPG unless that MMORPG is focused on what the SRPG was, and it wasn't a chopped up world nor was it a closed off class based system.

They should have let Bethesda make a multi-player game instead of creating a new studio under a guy that made one MMO. By doing that you would have an actual TES game that had more than a title to attract players and a few names of people and places to make them "think" they were playing a TES game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Stammerer
    Originally posted by bcbully

Wow, mmorpg.com...

Although I am not a fan of the game these articles are certainly tonally rather odd.  In fact the content of the articles is reasonable but the headlines sound like the worst kind of attention-seeking histrionics you usually see in user-threads on this site.  

Next week: Is Zenimax financially viable as a firm? 

Maybe it's like reverse trollology? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    no. game is mediocore. there is free to play games with same quality.
  • MetricaMetrica Member CommonPosts: 37

I can't take this editor seriously, at all.  The first thing you talk about is the FPS issue in Cyrodiil, but that was completely fixed over a week ago and the article was published today.  I get 35 FPS minimum in groups of over a hundred players, whereas I can't get more than 15 FPS in WildStar while looking at the ground on minimum specs.  ESO is the only new MMO worth my time. 

Yes, the game is absolutely worth playing.  It's the only MMO I've ever played that was made by developers who actually take player sentiment into consideration at every step of development.  They've done more in the first three months than most MMOs do in the first six, and that includes improving the graphical fidelity, which is something that other developers refuse to touch after launch.  

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    No.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

To keep it short...

No.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

It kills me to hear the same people bleating on and on about how X game isn't worth it..unless it goes FTP.  Apparently at that point, there is a magical transition that turns the game, the company, and it's players from being flame-worthy into an experience they want to partake of and support.  /eyeroll   There is plenty of pub-par, Cash Shop-centric, wallet-digging FTP trash out there.  Please go find one and stop squabbling that one more thing in life isn't being given to you for free.

As to the OP, I find myself in the position of observing and waiting.  I'd like to see the Imperial City opened up, as I was always a huge fan of Darkness Falls.  I am also allowing the game to mature for a bit more.  It's new, and there are still some growing pains that need to be worked out.  I see myself playing ESO, just not right now.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Just last week subbed for another 3 months. Been in since Jan. beta and started with a 3 day headstart.

So yeah the game is worth buying to me else I wouldn't have.

While I truly take my time I also put in allot of time allready in with my 4 characters all level 24 right now.

If there's indeed  a game in the themepark segment that was better for me I know I would be playing that, ESO is fairly unique as OP mentioned so against other themepark MMORPG ESO is my choice.

Hope they continue fixes issue's people encounter, hope they continue to bring in more things I love from ES games.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Going f2p will kill ESO. They just got control of botters, spammers, and RMTers. F2p will only benefit botters as they can spam accounts.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    there are better options for a ES online experience then ESO.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me