Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free-to-play ?...No, just no.

Comments

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by Velocinox
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Velocinox
    Originally posted by delete5230

Important

Please explain this :

Swordsman, a soon to be release Asian MMO by Perfect World Entertainment will be F2P. 

THIS GAME IS NOT CHARGING $150 !!!!!!

ArchAge or Swordsman, good or bad whats the difference ?

They're charging $60 for a hero pack. Do you need someone to hold your hand and explain why some things cost more than other now ?

And if it wasn't for the consumer pushing back, the price would have been $120

He's no more at fault than the company you're defending. It's two sides of the system of price balance.

I'm not defending anyone. He's acting all surprised that a company would charge $150 for a f2p game. Obviously the people paying saw value in it so they bought it. This is right in there with I don't like it so no one else should. Something all too common around here.

And if enough people do buy it at $150 good for the company. And the comment about defending seemed apparent, but you're right I might have assumed there.

All I was saying, is he doesn't need a lesson just because he's exercising his right as a consumer. Trust me I see both sides of this issue, On one hand I hope I get a raise, on the other I really don't want to see the games I play end up being buy-ins for a $150 character or a $400 spaceship. (but apparently that's exactly what this market is bearing.)

I don't see a problem with any of it.  It's ridiculous for anyone to say it's wrong or bad practice because it's a business decision hinging on simple and proven model of supply and demand that everyone should have learned first year at college (if not HS).

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Unrelated to F2P :

How come we have at least 200 Asian mmos released without an alpha $150 cash grab, yet this one has one.....All of a sudden, a company needs UP FRONT MONEY ?

Half is about game play, the other half is about Accounting.  The second half, no one knows anything about. This second half could easily destroy any hopes of this game !

In this case 1+1 does not = 2......It's just not adding up :(

If, in the end, they decide that charging for alpha/beta access would not negatively affect their long term profits, they will do it.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Quesa

Unrelated to F2P :

How come we have at least 200 Asian mmos released without an alpha $150 cash grab, yet this one has one.....All of a sudden, a company needs UP FRONT MONEY ?

Half is about game play, the other half is about Accounting.  The second half, no one knows anything about. This second half could easily destroy any hopes of this game !

In this case 1+1 does not = 2......It's just not adding up :(

If, in the end, they decide that charging for alpha/beta access would not negatively affect their long term profits, they will do it.

It's worth noting that thousands of free beta keys were given out yesterday. So not entirely paid beta.

Some alpha keys were given out too.  I can see the advantages of pay-alpha access though.  You automatically get a large pool of players that are excited for the game and will probably be more active in the testing process, feature discussions and event participation.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Strangers arguing with other strangers on what they do with their money.....

/popcorn

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Well it really ISNT a free to play game. it is more of a free to access game. It is basically a sub game that lets you log in for free.

If it was my game I would make it even more restrictive than the rumors. But it isnt so I am sure many people will spend money in the cash shop to get 'sunscriber' perks.

As for the 150 bux up front. You get more than that back. Assuming you want to sub to the game in the first place.

Remember when the big complaint was that people werent going to be able to by sub time with that 75 bux of cash shop currency? Well that has since changed. So you dont "NEED" to spend money in the cash shop. Most guys will want to because cash shop stuff is usually pretty cool anyway. But that is beside the point. I suspect the AA store will be a lot like the Rift store (or Rift store is now) A lot of housing stuff, a few potions (people will claim are pay to win) and some buffs and perks (which peopel will also claim are pay to win).

There have been changes in the game I dont like but once everything is equalized everyone will be in the same boat more or less. If they had never let people see the first version the second version (which a lot of people complain about) wouldnt seem nearly so 'bad'.

But the whole free to play phrase these days gets thrown around way too much. AA SHOULD be a sub game. Or in the very least a buy to play. But because the sub model is dead and doesnt work theyre taking the approach of a game that basically requires a sub to actually do anything in and also letting some free loaders come in and get hooked on it for nothing and hopefully spend some money. The biggest negative of a full free to play model is the gold spammers. But that could be circumvented by having different chat channels for free players and subscribers, or an unlock feature to use any chat at all. Not sure why these companies dont do it.

But no AA isnt a free to play game, not if you want to play it to the fullest of its potential.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Trion give players 4 options:

- Expensive pack that includes alpha acess.

- Medium and cheaper one that include beta acess.

- Play the game f2p when released with some limitations.

- Pay the monthly fee when game released and have full acess to game features.

Each player choose, have the freedom to choose, dont understand all this drama around this.

I personal choose to wait for release and pay monthly fee.

Other choose to buy the expensive pack and jump on alpha, so what? Personal decisions.

AA is going to be released on West and players can try/play without spend any money and then decide if they want to put money on it and acess to full features. Is this a bad thing?

Again, Trion is giving diverse options to players but ppl continues to make drama threads around 1 of the option...

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

OK...Ok I get it...................I guess video gamers can't resist anything that stands in their way of fun. No one stands up for principle anymore at least mmo players.

I'm sure ArchAge is a fun game. It's something most of us have been denied in a good mmo " Open world ".

When in the past, 200 Asian mmos that were translated, fixed for western use and released without Alpha $150 kick starter, yet Trion decides to do a few HEAVY MARKETING TRICKS, just because they can.  Video gamers just don't seem to care. With statements like " its big business, they could do as they feel "......Sure they can !

Remember this:

- All this fun can end in an instant at release. No one knows what the cash shop will be like.

- If marketing is this aggressive to charge $150, the Sky's the limit on tricks.....The game could very well start off with a less important cash shop and fluctuate to more aggressive, more needed items and Play to Win....Depending on customers demand.   With a cash shop, there could be many variables. One day after spending a lot of money you could wake up to find everything changed.

- This is not a troll post......I'm asking everyone to think !

Well have fun, but we all know each and every mmo had turned out. This holds true the most with Heavy Aggressive Western Marketing..........But hay, I'm having fun now, thats all that counts ! 

Unrelated but related :

Now Americans for the most part have a credit card problem.  After 28 days and the first payment comes in, they feel as if they shouldn't owe anything.......I don't think that way.....I guess I'm unique :)

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Yeah, free-to-play is an automatic 'No thank you' for me. I don't care what anyone says, the quality of so-called free-to-play titles simply is NOT there.

<3

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by TankYou88
    I enjoy how the OP is ridiculing a game he never played or looked into at all. Gratz.

It's almost as if ignorance of the details of a game are becoming a pre requisite to make a post about it on this site. The OP isn't the only one to do it.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

as far as the slippery slope cash shop theory goes, we have to keep in mind that trion did not do this with rift when they made it free-to-play; in fact they're considered one of the better cash shop models in the industry (tera is another one).  So there isnt a precedent of this particular company creating an unfair cash shop setup.

I dont think AA is intended to play as a ftp game for the most part, though.  since you can only have property if you're subbed.  I'm guessing AA will have most of its revenue come from patron (sub) fees.

as far as the 150 alpha goes, i didnt pay it either, but since there wont be any box sales i guess you can write off the high price with the idea that the alpha / beta fees will offset the fact that there's no cost to "buy the game".  (i did buy the 50$ package)

from playing in other MMO alphas (through kickstarted projects) i can say it's fun to play a game in a pre-release setting; the devs interact with the players a lot more and you get to see the game improve... sometimes based directly off of your feedback.  I think the 150 was high to charge for this but i will say that it's worth some money for the experience, and i havent heard many of the people who paid the 150 complain about it... the majority seem to be happy with the game and their alpha experience (not all of course).

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Yeah, free-to-play is an automatic 'No thank you' for me. I don't care what anyone says, the quality of so-called free-to-play titles simply is NOT there.

Archeage was released as p2p. Why it went f2p? Bad decisions from devs that made koreans run away. We'll get a much better version then them and we'll still keep it as f2p. The idea that f2p games are low quality games is so 2004.

Ofc not all f2p games are good but same goes for p2p games and b2p games.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    People will continue to make choices.  Some people will be ok with their decisions and some will not.  AS long as people play, other companies will take notice and implement the same model.  As for this game, I know some friends and guildmates that paid the $150 for this game.  Most regret the decision now and probably wont do it again.  Either way it comes down to a personal choice.
  • Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by BlueTiger13
    Did they really say they are going F2P? I been watching this game as of late but if that's the case, I'm outta here.

So you would of paid $60 for a box and $15 for no restrictions but you wont download it for free and pay $15 to remove the restrictions. Makes sense to me.

I just don't want to support -in any way- those who try to get by freely or close to it as they can.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Did they really say they are going F2P? I been watching this game as of late but if that's the case, I'm outta here.

So you would of paid $60 for a box and $15 for no restrictions but you wont download it for free and pay $15 to remove the restrictions. Makes sense to me.

I just don't want to support -in any way- those who try to get by freely or close to it as they can.

Ah so it's like a self righteous choice. You wouldn't want to be in a game with a lower class of people. Totally understand that.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by An4thor

Archeage was released as p2p. Why it went f2p? Bad decisions from devs that made koreans run away. We'll get a much better version then them and we'll still keep it as f2p. The idea that f2p games are low quality games is so 2004.

The same was true for LotRO, and the quality of that game nosedived after it went F2P.

<3

• Originally posted by DamonVile

Ah so it's like a self righteous choice. You wouldn't want to be in a game with a lower class of people. Totally understand that.

No, the lower classed person can still pony up to pay for their entertainment. It's about the people getting by scott free.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

They ask money upfront because the game got hyped like crazy,  it was seen as the best thing known to gaming history for a long time..   So much hype, So many players that want to play the hyped game..  so many people actually paying that amount to get in.

They do it BECAUSE THEY CAN,  stop seeing the game industry as your friends and family, they are companies and they will act like companies,  there is nothing wrong with what they are doing.  I personally wouldnt pay for access but many others as you can see did.

If a store, mobile provider or whatever does something different noone will say a thing.. If it comes to online gaming and change everyone goes crazy.

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by An4thor

The same was true for LotRO, and the quality of that game nosedived after it went F2P.

Your missing out on a good one.

BTW more and more games will be released this way, you have to change with the times of get left behind.

• Originally posted by Onigod

They ask money upfront because the game got hyped like crazy,  it was seen as the best thing known to gaming history for a long time..   So much hype, So many players that want to play the hyped game..  so many people actually paying that amount to get in.

They do it BECAUSE THEY CAN,  stop seeing the game industry as your friends and family, they are companies and they will act like companies,  there is nothing wrong with what they are doing.  I personally wouldnt pay for access but many others as you can see did.

If a store, mobile provider or whatever does something different noone will say a thing.. If it comes to online gaming and change everyone goes crazy.

Undoubtedly less then 100 people frequent these boards on a daily basis. Hardly "everyone" or "gamers" or any type of demographic lol.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

It's just a new trend that companies are using to make more cash under the guise of it is helping support the company or some other bla bla excuse and of course it works because wizard's first rule applies.

NOTE: this isn't an insult towards anyone just my humble opinion!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

I think Trion is quite kind with this price. They are just asking for 150 dollars for you to test their translation. It could be way more. In fact, Trion should plea for tax returns because they are actually helping us by bringing this game to the Western public and alleviating the money of those who have too much, putting it in the pockets of the needy.

So you should be thankful instead of hating..

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    So far Trion's F2P model for ArcheAge seems to be pretty similar to what they did with Rift. It doesn't sound too bad and hopefully they'll have even less of a need to include things like gear (even if subpar) considering ArcheAge seems much more promising than Rift. I personally don't see why anyone cares if a company makes people pay for alpha or beta access either. They might be charging a lot of money, but people choose to pay it if they want to and everything gets wiped anyway so it's not like these people get some huge advantage. If you aren't willing to pay what they're charging than just suck it up buttercup and wait til launch.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by vgamer

I think Trion is quite kind with this price. They are just asking for 150 dollars for you to test their translation. It could be way more. In fact, Trion should plea for tax returns because they are actually helping us by bringing this game to the Western public and alleviating the money of those who have too much, putting it in the pockets of the needy.

So you should be thankful instead of hating..

and if you as a gamer do not like then it just means you dont embrace innovation. :)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Amarid
    I think the reason for the $150 up front is because of the large amount of interest in the game.  The community has been watching the development of the game, waiting for it to be released in NA and constantly asking when and for more information.  So the cost is definitely based on demand for this particular game.  Whether it is right or not is up for debate, but I doubt few other games could do this and be successful, and from what I've read those who have paid for this are not unhappy with their investment.

This is untrue, there are plenty that are happy, we just don't post about it, I wish people would stop saying this.  .This is a fact that most people who are happy are busy playing and a lot I know for a fact hate this forum because of the lies and posts like this...  You guys love to troll and complain..  I also get sick of people saying money grabs.... They are to support the cost in making a game, get that through your heads... I do not understand why people keep saying this , it is annoying..

I hate to be mean here, but its just annoying that people act like this.. I mean, who is making you pay the 150 bucks??? No one, people want in beta for free, well, devs have realized when people pay , you have more of a chance people will report bugs and make a better game. You know why?? Because its your investment. I have sat there through atleast 40 games in early betas and watch people complain and say, say the game is good, so we can play!!!!

Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People think that companies can do all there own testing.. Its impossible to do all of your own testing, its best to allow the crowds in... So again, sorry if I came off so harsh, but I want people to see the other side of the story as well.

PS: I'm  a gamer who turned DEV, I also have a BA in game production and study games, and develop a lot.. So I don't know it all, but I study games to make them better, its hard when you see comments like this, and assume they know thr truth and this every MMO is scamming them....   Read some of my other posts, I won't repeat me self but when there are no more MMO's being made, you will understand why... The day is coming, I'm telling you...

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

It's just a new trend that companies are using to make more cash under the guise of it is helping support the company or some other bla bla excuse and of course it works because wizard's first rule applies.

NOTE: this isn't an insult towards anyone just my humble opinion!

Please go look up the cost of the software to make a game, if you feel this way, please research the cost of making a game. If you need to pay good programmers expect to pay 70k - 150k, each person for a good one.  that's FOR one programmer. Imagine when you have about 50 of them...

Now the software, lets start 3DS Max, or Maya, or both 5k each... Photoshop, we will be cheap and use the cloud 20 bucks per month , per user, yes I know there is a team license .  A little cheaper, I have one.    The game engine, per seat. Server costs. Each program, you need to use, or have someone make.. They nickel and dime you.. Terrain sculpting tools, Zbrush 800 bucks per user, Mudbox 800 per user...   Over head and rent for a building...  These are some basic needs to run a company to make a game...  You have to license your company... You have taxes to pay, so again, were do you think they are pocketing money here???

I went from a big company to now, running my own game development company, I can tell you the costs rack up... Some games, you don't get your return, I already had that happen with one of our games... We lost money.... So please research before you assume this./

/cheers.