Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wod beta your not really missing anything

CertheGreatCertheGreat Member UncommonPosts: 29

I understand that there are alot of people trying to get into the beta  there's people mad at blizzard for not sendng them a invte in the first place.

But to be honest your not really missing anything at all It's still early beta barely anything in here so far.There's still plenty of beta testing to do quests are glitchy, Some abilities don't work,Random dc's as I said there is still alot to test

Comments

• TheKaiziTheKaizi Member Posts: 11
    the point isnt to just play it. it's for people who want to test it and or test classes and whatnot for information.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by TheKaizi
    the point isnt to just play it. it's for people who want to test it and or test classes and whatnot for information.

The point is just to play.If you want me to test it then pay me.

• CertheGreatCertheGreat Member UncommonPosts: 29

That's the thing most people want to get in just to play it like it's play beta or they'll die

when it still has many many issues needing to be solved.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

And the reply to this is exactly why beta test don't go as planned.  People play never report any of the issues they run across because they aren't paid to do so.  That is what alphas/betas are for not for you to play the game.  People are not entitled to play betas either, I wish companies would go back to more private testing because back when that happened a lot more problems usually were address faster.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by k61977

And the reply to this is exactly why beta test don't go as planned.  People play never report any of the issues they run across because they aren't paid to do so.  That is what alphas/betas are for not for you to play the game.  People are not entitled to play betas either, I wish companies would go back to more private testing because back when that happened a lot more problems usually were address faster.

In SWG, I remember in aplha, being called to hang out with the devs and check combat stats for them outside corellia. We as beta tester actually helped test stuff. Was the good ol' days... I miss it bigtime.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Unfortunately, the majority of people's "help" is about as extensive as their testing experience (limited at best) , so you can consider your early access as payment, because it's probably worth more than the amount that you're going to actually contribute to the project.

Then again, maybe you're a career tester, so maybe you would provide value. If you were, then you probably wouldn't want to touch it anyway because you see crap software all day long and aren't really longing to go home and test someone else's code too.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• lionzheartzlionzheartz Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Sick and tired of this stuff bulls hit.... Still no key or invite to beta. Not wasting my time with another mmorpg beta key sweepstakes
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is partly MMO devs, they use them as marketing. Some gives out beta keys in contests and through webbpages while others even charges for it.

They really only should give them to dedicated fans and they wouldn't be having this problem. There are better ways to market a game.

• DelondialDelondial Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Unfortunately, the majority of people's "help" is about as extensive as their testing experience (limited at best) , so you can consider your early access as payment, because it's probably worth more than the amount that you're going to actually contribute to the project.

Then again, maybe you're a career tester, so maybe you would provide value. If you were, then you probably wouldn't want to touch it anyway because you see crap software all day long and aren't really longing to go home and test someone else's code too.

Always felt as though I've provided a great deal of helpful bug reports to the various betas I've participated in. It's mostly just filling out the forms at this point; where, when, reproducing the error, etc. Having at least some basic understanding of how coding/ development works isn't an unwelcome quality either.

But then Blizzard in particular has never really shown much appreciation towards those kinds efforts/ patronage. Owned every game, every expansion, subbed for nearly 10 years now, and yet never get invited into any early beta for any title. Then some bloke who picked up one game for a month or two then never played again seems to always get keys when he opts in.

Just goes to show it is either truly random, they are looking for a very specific kind of rig, or they know who will buy their stuff anyway, so why bother. Either way, they likely don't really value "customer bug testers".

All of that excluding the obvious keys for media/ personalities. Just marketing. 

Clever things.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    Originally posted by Delondial
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Always felt as though I've provided a great deal of helpful bug reports to the various betas I've participated in. It's mostly just filling out the forms at this point; where, when, reproducing the error, etc. Having at least some basic understanding of how coding/ development works isn't an unwelcome quality either.

But then Blizzard in particular has never really shown much appreciation towards those kinds efforts/ patronage. Owned every game, every expansion, subbed for nearly 10 years now, and yet never get invited into any early beta for any title. Then some bloke who picked up one game for a month or two then never played again seems to always get keys when he opts in.

Just goes to show it is either truly random, they are looking for a very specific kind of rig, or they know who will buy their stuff anyway, so why bother. Either way, they likely don't really value "customer bug testers".

All of that excluding the obvious keys for media/ personalities. Just marketing. 

Its not like it used to be at blizzard.  My wife's family worked there for years.  It used to be alpha's were mostly company and family members of the employees, then closed betas were extended family and some outside help.  Now they randomly select people for betas, they are not looking at how many hours or games people have, it is basically a name out of a hat kind of thing that is really sad.

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

And ^^^^ folks, is why betas have so many bugs. Johnny McSpeshalSnowflke here wants a beta key to play the game before everyone else, to hell with the bugs or problems. Prime example of why we can't have nice things.

• canhascowcanhascow Member Posts: 13

Actually being a paid games tester I see the WoD "beta" as a joke, The only real testing that happens is stress testing and minor instance tuning. Apart from that it's marketing, It's why the past 3 expacs have had no NDA's allowing people to stream, Record and promote the coming game. 

Most games companies don't do that during "beta". They expect people to have an expressed knowledge of issues in games, Know work arounds and for the most part know known exploits so that they can be addressed.

Given that I've played wow since 2005 and still want to be a apart of this beta purely because I like to know where I can farm happily and exploit morons on the AH :P

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

entered th drawing for th beta but aint loosin sleep over th fact tht im not invited :)

n def wont loose sleep over if i win this sweepstake or not if i do ill try n help if i dont well at least i had th chance to participate not gonna buy th xpansion till a cpl o months in anyway :)

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I usually never win any contests of any kind but I just won a beta key from MMORPG.com so it kinda made my day. I'll be jumping in tomorrow to test the changes to my most played classes. Anyone who just wants a key because they're bored with MoP, stay away from beta. You're just going to get bored with WoD before it even comes out.

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49

So Beta Tests do not go as planned because companies (and other players) are expecting random people to perform the jobs of others for free? You don't say?

Slight sarcasm aside, I am unsure why people expect random others to properly test alphas/betas instead of using them as testing platforms for whether the game/expansion will be worth to purchase day one. I am also unsure why those players who use betas as demos are looked down upon. I for sure am not going to do someone's job for free during my spare time. Why would anyone expect someone to do so?

If anything, a company should be held accountable for continuing the practice of inviting random persons into their alpha/betas as long as said person is lucky or pre-orders the product. Of course the testing will be shoddy if someone expects untrained people to find the problems. It isn't even just that either. Time and again there is evidence of problems being reported during a beta, only to have those same problems persist long after the game goes live. Many developers do not listen to constructive feedback, or are incapable of making the necessary changes due to a number of factors, so that also creates the perception that such feedback is a waste of time. At this point in the gaming industry, most alpha/betas seem to be only to generate some hype or to create some funds before the product is complete.

You say Nerovipus's reply is why beta tests do not go as planned. I say their reply should be someone's natural reaction to alpha/betas in general. If companies expect someone to perform a job/task such as testing their product then perhaps they should pay that person a salary. Otherwise they are trying to get the best of both worlds, free marketing and free testing and such shenanigans should be shunned by those who desire any quality behind a purchased product.

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Milander

And ^^^^ folks, is why betas have so many bugs. Johnny McSpeshalSnowflke here wants a beta key to play the game before everyone else, to hell with the bugs or problems. Prime example of why we can't have nice things.

Seems your anger is misguided. It is the game companies who choose random persons around the world and then expect them to provide quality testing during their down time for free.

You see how ridiculous that sounds? If you are willing to go out of your way to test someone's product for free then you are the minority. That mentality is not something that should be acceptable for quality products.

If you want betas to be used for proper testing then direct your anger at companies and tell them to leave the testing to trained, payed professionals. Stop relying on the free labor of random people and act like a proper business.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

Im enjoying the Beta played a few hours got to lvl 92. They already have the garrison available to you and it seems interesting so far. You build a barracks first off and can summon a squad of guys to assist you during regular gameplay. 

Thrall is back which is always a plus.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Even if i were to have access into the beta.. i would just pass the opportunity.. Its just meh... I have no problems waiting 5 months for WOD release..  Bugs aside, i would rather play a game/product in its final form... If i get paid to report bugs in beta, it would be an entirely different story lol.
  • TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by sadWinds
    Even if i were to have access into the beta.. i would just pass the opportunity.. Its just meh... I have no problems waiting 5 months for WOD release..  Bugs aside, i would rather play a game/product in its final form... If i get paid to report bugs in beta, it would be an entirely different story lol.

For me its a bit of research. Im not sure if im going to be playing Blood Dk or Prot Pally. Prot pally sucked this expansion and it sucks because it was my main. Im rolling DK right now and its much more aggressive of a class but it feels like it lacks the defensive abilities the pally has. The lvl 100 skills is also giving me a loop, the Blood DK is a disease that grows in strength and transfers to other enemies. The Prot pally is the ability to block spells.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Far to many quote beta tests unquote are marketing first, testing second. They launch a few weeks before release and, no surprise, there is no time to fix the bugs. Have to wonder whether they would be better off replacing the "beta" with a free trial after they have pushed out the first few patches! 

This has never been Blizzard's style.

Love them or hate them the image they have is that it is about testing first, marketing second. The betas tend to be pretty long, big and usually in good shape "structurally" with stuff being added as the beta progresses. (I say usually because someone signed off on the D3 debacle - that probably put the QA folks back in the driving seat.)

And at the end of the day the marketing impact ends up being greater.

So I wouldn't expect all the content to be in yet.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by SonOfValmar

Seems your anger is misguided. It is the game companies who choose random persons around the world and then expect them to provide quality testing during their down time for free.

You see how ridiculous that sounds? If you are willing to go out of your way to test someone's product for free then you are the minority. That mentality is not something that should be acceptable for quality products.

If you want betas to be used for proper testing then direct your anger at companies and tell them to leave the testing to trained, payed professionals. Stop relying on the free labor of random people and act like a proper business.

It isn't like Blizzard have just handed over their development to the public and taken all other methods of testing and quality control off the table, the Beta is just the next extension of the testing process. The idea behind it as i see it is to start putting some stress on the product so they can see how it works with hundreds of people trying to do the same thing rather than just a dozen testers for example and then also add in the 'non tester' variable to the equation, in that people will do the strangest things that you would not expect them to do and a tester may not always think of.

You say that it is ridiculous to expect random people to provide quality testing for free, but it has worked for them in the past and it will work for them this time too. Firstly because by just playing the game they are helping with the testing, so those who choose to do nothing but that are helping anyway, but there are also those that want a decent product at the end of this process who will put in some extra effort to report bugs, help devs to understand how and why it is happening which will lead to a quicker resolution than in house testing alone and ultimately a faster development of a more polished product.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by CertheGreat

I understand that there are alot of people trying to get into the beta  there's people mad at blizzard for not sendng them a invte in the first place.

But to be honest your not really missing anything at all It's still early beta barely anything in here so far.There's still plenty of beta testing to do quests are glitchy, Some abilities don't work,Random dc's as I said there is still alot to test

Believe it or not but some of us really enjoy finding out bugs and help make MMO better before release.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Most of the demand is likely people wanting to see if blizzard stops dicking around and being stupid and actually evolved WoW rather then devolved it into the horrible mess its been going with each expansion. I think many are interested if WoD is actually trying to restore what made WoW good in the first place and take away their horrible design decisions in then past few expansions that had made the game weaker and weaker.  Its to the point that nostalgia isn't enough to keep any interest to revisit the game as much as people use to.

People like to be on board the moment of launch, and they want to see if its actually worth jumping on to give it another shot. 

• agora012agora012 Member Posts: 31
    I came back to wow after 4 years from rift . it still seems most decent and reasonable game to me compared to other mmo . 
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Congratulations, people like this are who we have to thank for 5-10+ years of garbage buggy game releases. The point of beta is to try and find as many bugs as possible and inform the developer. If you don't enjoy finding bugs and helping fix the game, for the love of all that is holy, go away and never come back. You are literally useless to a beta test.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.