Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question - If I were to get expansion w/o the original...

LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

1) My question is, if I were to get Guildwars: Faction and I don't have the original Guildwars, would I beable to make like a Ritualist/Mesmerizer and still be able to get all of the mesmerizer spells that were available in the original?

2) Something else I want to know... I thought I read somewhere that pvp-only characters are restricted more than roleplaying characters... How so? ( I know they can't do quests, but only pvp, but I mean are they limited in what abilities, items they get or what?) During the free to play event, I really enjoyed the pvp-only character aspect, where I got to unlock skills as I got more faction points... And I didn't enjoy the roleplaying/questing very much when I tried it last year, because it's not very easy to get groups to be doing the things I would be doing...

Comments

• PLIKOPLIKO Member UncommonPosts: 4

1. No you can't get all the mesmer skills that was in the first chapter since you didn't buy the first chapter. However you will get the 25 NEW skills that the mesmer will get in the next chapter (Every class will recieve 25 new skills 15 of which are elites).

2. PvP characters can't get all the special looking weapons that you can get in the PvE section of the game. That doesn't matter much because your weapon has all the max stats.

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089

Since when can you buy an expansion pack for a game when you don't own the original?

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• PLIKOPLIKO Member UncommonPosts: 4

You can buy Guild Wars: Factions without buying the first chapter since it contains the same amount of content as the first. Guild Wars: Factions is a stand alone product that can be used alone or link with your account. Of course not buying the first chapter means you'll miss out on the Skills and PvE map of that chapter.

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640
    ok thanks for the reply... I may consider getting the original thenimage
  • TeeBeeNZTeeBeeNZ Member Posts: 259

Yes you can make any of the same combinations and despite what some have say you do get a ful set of skills BUT!.... there will be some that are C1 only, but not many. Each chapter will have access to a set of defualt skills the devs think need to be global. Each chapter tho will have it own personal small srt to allow balancing per chapter vs the PvE content and the professions.

• to correct the 2nd poster,

as he tells us you won't get the skills from chapter 1 mesmer
    that is not entirely true

they said you will get a large amount of skills but you won't be able to get all the mesmer skills
    so i think they are talking about the more advanced skils then... like the elite skills & such..

and in pvp you gain faction which allows you to unlock things
    if you should have a high lvl pvE player & you find special items & runes
    you can also unlock those for pvp
    so basicly if you don't use the pve you can unlock too, but it will be (imo) mutch harder
    since you need a LOT of faction to unlock all you want.

• AlexWeekesAlexWeekes Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by TeeBeeNZ
    Yes you can make any of the same combinations and despite what some have say you do get a ful set of skills BUT!.... there will be some that are C1 only, but not many. Each chapter will have access to a set of defualt skills the devs think need to be global. Each chapter tho will have it own personal small srt to allow balancing per chapter vs the PvE content and the professions.

Yep, the above is essentially correct. You can buy Factions only and create a Ritualist/Mesmer or Mesmer/Ritualist. There will be some skills from the original box you will not have access to, and you will also not have access to the missions and explorable content from the original. You will have the new content found in Cantha, as well as the Battle Isles for PvP.