Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming TV advice

CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
I'm in the market and just wondering what your all using and what's out there. I currently use my ps4 on a 24 inch asus 1080p 2ms pc monitor. When I play shooters like Cod on my 24 inch versus larger monitors, I notice I'm better on the smaller monitor, however for rpgs like D3 and FFARR, I prefer the larger monitor. I'm thinking a sweet spot for me would be a good 32 to 46 inch tv, what do you all recommend in that size range for gaming purposes? Let's go $600 , $800, and $1000 price points.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I think the size is relative to how far you sit from the TV and what you personally prefer.

For me having my PS4 on a 46 in LCD is perfect, I sit about 8-10 feet away roughly and that distance vs size seems to work. Granted I have had that TV for a few years and anything else wouldnt feel right just because I am so used to it.

My XBone I have on a 60in LED downstairs in the living room. Sitting about 12-14 feet away roughly. For gaming it works but It would be a bit better sitting closer. I find myself wanting to sit close, especially when having to read text. But then again that is what I am used to.

Honestly I could sit 10 feet away from a 60in and would love it while gaming, for TV or movies not so much probably.

A friend of mine has  40 inch 120hz LED smart TV by Vizeo, he sits maybe 5- 6ft away in a recliner and seems to like that size.

It seems you have a decent budget for a TV. You will have may options to choose. Go to a big box store and check some of them out before you buy. I have a 46 inch Samsung and a 60in Vizeo.  The vizeo is new from xmas and i will have to give it the nod for better picture. The Samsung is a good quality TV with a great picture, but its 3+ years old now.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You can get 32" monitors in the $400-$600 range. The difficulty of a TV is its refresh rate, you will probably get some ghosting. I am using a 27" ASUS monitor upgrading from a 24". Even though its not much bigger, it fills most of my focused vision and I sit further away from the monitor.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The reason you're better on the computer monitor is not the number of inches.  It's the display latency.  When you're watching television, if there's a half-second delay between when an image comes in and when it gets displayed on the screen, you don't care, provided that the video runs smoothly and is properly synchronized with the sound.  For a game, a 100 ms latency is a big problem, and even a difference of 20 ms as compared to an alternative is intuitively noticeable.

Computer monitors are very much optimized for latency, and have been for a long time.  Even for uses such as e-mail and word processing that you'd think of as being undemanding on hardware, display latency is a big deal, as you want the mouse pointer to react very, very fast to your moving the mouse.

But televisions tend not to be optimized for latency.  They're optimized for image quality and video smoothness, instead.  They might have a "game mode" that tries to reduce the latency as much as is easy to do with the hardware available, but that's not at all similar to optimizing for latency when making hardware choices in building the thing.

Some televisions are much worse about this than others.  Unfortunately, it's hard to tell which ones are worse about it.