Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is death meaningful?

ZiCrOZiCrO Member UncommonPosts: 11

I've been waiting for a sandbox mmo like Archeage for a long time. One thing that bothers me about today's games is the instant gratification and achievements meant to make the typical teenager feel good with no consequences other than a loading screen upon death.

How is death handled in Archeage? I read you can attack anyone after lvl30 and I know you can go to jail if you become an outlaw but I want to know about what happens when you die. Games become boring quickly if there are no consequences in death. I was a fan of Lineage 2 where if you were an outlaw you would lose an item from your bag if you were killed, at least that's something compared to most of today's mmo's. Is there something similar in Archeage?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    No, death really doesn't have many consequences outside of a bit of lost time and perhaps an occasional low value trade pack.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

If you have a merchant ship full of goods that you paid for and you die and lose it that can be very tough.

If you have been doing a lot of criminal stuff dying can send you to jail where you'll lose a lttle to a lot of time.

If you are just out questing and someone kills you there is no loss whatsoever.

It ranges between those.

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

If you have a merchant ship full of goods that you paid for and you die and lose it that can be very tough.

If you have been doing a lot of criminal stuff dying can send you to jail where you'll lose a lttle to a lot of time.

It ranges between those.

Personally, I like this form of risk vs. reward.   It strikes a fine balance gameplay wise that emulates real life somewhat.   There is no reason why some guy who has very little material wealth would be attacked and killed then have all his meager possessions looted.  However, if that same guy had invested in large amounts of trade goods, he would then be a likely target.  

Archeage seems to have found that sweet spot which will cut down on the losses of the weak, but only allow great gain with some risk.  This can only be good for the game because those who are starting will not lose heart and quit and those who are established will have the knowledge and dedication to try again.  

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367
    I agree. I like the system they have in place. It allows the players to engage in PvP without fear of any harsh consequence unless they're in a situation where they're attempting to make some serious cash.  I fight members of the enemy faction and/or PKs of my own faction all the time and have a blast. That said, when I'm transporting a tradeship full of packs I do my damned best to avoid getting myself murdered and risking the loss of my cargo. When you are attacked in a situation like that it can really get the adrenaline pumping and fending off the would-be pirates is extremely satisfying. Losing what you made can sting, but it's not all bad, especially with the split they instituted wherein the crafter gets a 20% cut of the turn-in even if it's stolen. All in all, I feel like the game strikes a nice balance.
  • laz3rNach0zlaz3rNach0z Member Posts: 59
    i think for sandbox death mechanics to be viable u really have to look at the payment model like p2p f2p p2w because it can changes what people are willing to give up for the endgame

for this to not be total fail u have to balance of death mechanics to endgame and from there see what people want and then people will know what is viable for them

right now i see this working out awesome and death mechanics for the win in every part of the game are totally viable so my answer is YES death meaningful
  • ZiCrOZiCrO Member UncommonPosts: 11

It ranges between those.

That's cool so does trading by land work the same way? Are there caravans you have to protect?

Originally posted by ZiCrO

If you have a merchant ship full of goods that you paid for and you die and lose it that can be very tough. If you have been doing a lot of criminal stuff dying can send you to jail where you'll lose a lttle to a lot of time. If you are just out questing and someone kills you there is no loss whatsoever. It ranges between those.  

That's cool so does trading by land work the same way? Are there caravans you have to protect?

not like npc man just people u can do whatev like 4 ur bros go on a trip to turn in packs for allot of gold or gilda stars then ya u can protect the caravan but its all players and honor is only for faction pvps which is not all the time or anywhere
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

It ranges between those.

There are safe areas people can trade between that are safe from PVP.  Then there are PVP areas where you can attack them and take their packs.  The most lucrative trade packs are ones that go overseas.  The sea is a PVP area all day every day and people do caravan them.  I've seen guilds run 3 ships loaded with people at once.  I've seen them do more elaborate things where there is a merch ship surrounded by galleons and clippers for protection.  All kinds of stuff.  

Most of the trade that involves pvp though is at sea.

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

It ranges between those.

There's no 20 pack vehicle for land but there is a wagon that can hold 4 packs. It's similar to sea trading although it generally takes longer by land than by sea. Assuming you take your packs to a PvP zone, where they're likely to fetch the best price, you definitely can and should run a caravan with people protecting you. Going through a zone where you can be attacked with a wagon full of packs is a sure way to get ganked so having a few friends at least is a good idea, if not necessary. There are safe zones you can restrict your travels to, however, to limit your risk, but the value of the turn-ins will generally be well below what they are for taking the extra risk of going into PvP enabled zones.

If you have a merchant ship full of goods that you paid for and you die and lose it that can be very tough. If you have been doing a lot of criminal stuff dying can send you to jail where you'll lose a lttle to a lot of time. If you are just out questing and someone kills you there is no loss whatsoever. It ranges between those.  

There are safe areas people can trade between that are safe from PVP.  Then there are PVP areas where you can attack them and take their packs.  The most lucrative trade packs are ones that go overseas.  The sea is a PVP area all day every day and people do caravan them.  I've seen guilds run 3 ships loaded with people at once.  I've seen them do more elaborate things where there is a merch ship surrounded by galleons and clippers for protection.  All kinds of stuff.  

Most of the trade that involves pvp though is at sea.

well bro if ur really worry about getting pk in enemy city right now trade mechanics and tradepack theft mechanics might be changed for viable system on release 60/40 or 80/20 but u can have a bro trade his pack u and u trade ur pack with him and it breaks even so u both end up with 100% in the end eeeeeeeasy !!!
  • OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105
    While death doesn't really mean much, I did notice that your honor goes down when you die.