Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best MMO

I am interested to learn why people think this is the best MMO or among the best MMOs?  What makes you think this?

( i am not interested in why you think this is not a good MMO) 

so why and what do you like about this game?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Who the hell thinks that SWTOR is the best MMO? Not even top 5.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Quality.

The game is very polished and fully delivers what it intends to - narrative MMO experience.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

Good chance the 100,000s if not million of player playing right now think it's in their top 5.  Who the hell cares if you don't think so that was not the question to this post...

I believe its 1.7M active accounts with around 1M subs worldwide

personally i think the stories are very well done, and i love the mellee combat with lightsabers actually connecting... So far i have played 4/8 clas stories, and might return someday for another one....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159

1: it feels very polished 

2: i like the combat 

3: love the class story

4: raids/operations is fun

5: warzone and arena is also great 

i spend most of my time in swtor doing raids and pvp

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by allday88

Good chance the 100,000s if not million of player playing right now think it's in their top 5.  Who the hell cares if you don't think so that was not the question to this post...

personally i think the stories are very well done, and i love the mellee combat with lightsabers actually connecting... So far i have played 4/8 clas stories, and might return someday for another one....

It all depends on how they define active... but... http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1396514-SWTOR-has-10million-Casual-Players

More on topic:

1) The Stories.

2) The gameplay.

3) The character customization.

4) I enjoy the group content, like the flashpoints and operations.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

This ^^^^

+1

SWTOR needs more content than 7 operations. I have 12 dungeons open, 1 dungeon being equivilent to 1 operation, in FF XIV ARR at level 40. At 50 like 10 more open up.

I'm not hip on a game that only brings people back for double xp weekends for people to do KDY over and over and over.

And housing almost 3 years later......too little, too late.

EDIT: I like the story's and voice acting but all that did was hinder further story content. All were gonna get now is operations on hard, etc.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I wouldn't say it was the best but... the graphics are good quality and it's fun to play which are the main two things I look for.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Smoking cigarettes is/was popular, but that didn't make it good.

The game's popularity can be attributed to the IP, mostly.  World of Warcraft wouldn't have been as popular if it weren't for their established brand name.

SWTOR tells a story better than most, and puts the players in the center of it.  Other MMOs fail to deliver the story, or make it easily ignored in favor of grinding to the level cap.

SWTOR is not a good MMO.  It has nearly-identical gameplay to other popular MMOs (Rift, WoW, LOTRO, any other 40-button MMO) and does nothing to set itself apart from their gameplay.  

SWTOR is best enjoyed as a single-player game then dropped when you finish the all story content to your heart's desire.  If you don't care about story, it has an end-game which is nearly identical in structure to most other MMOs.  If you don't care about story, though, there are other, better MMOs to give you a fast grind to end-game and a better end-game to perform raids and difficult dungeons.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I think honestly for me this is the best MMO I have ever played so far. I never have enough time to do all the things I want to do.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

I am interested to learn why people think this is the best MMO or among the best MMOs?  What makes you think this?

( i am not interested in why you think this is not a good MMO) 

so why and what do you like about this game?

For me it's not the best, but certainly among the best. 

I like about it

a) it's StarWars (yes, I am sucker for SW stuff)

b) the main stories with movie/voice over (I do skip a lot of the standard quest voicing though)

There are a number of things that bother me with this game, which is probably why I play it on and off (playing currently). But that wasn't what the OP was asking for, so I skip this part. 

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by syntax42

Smoking cigarettes is/was popular, but that didn't make it good.

The game's popularity can be attributed to the IP, mostly.  World of Warcraft wouldn't have been as popular if it weren't for their established brand name.

SWTOR tells a story better than most, and puts the players in the center of it.  Other MMOs fail to deliver the story, or make it easily ignored in favor of grinding to the level cap.

SWTOR is not a good MMO.  It has nearly-identical gameplay to other popular MMOs (Rift, WoW, LOTRO, any other 40-button MMO) and does nothing to set itself apart from their gameplay.  

SWTOR is best enjoyed as a single-player game then dropped when you finish the all story content to your heart's desire.  If you don't care about story, it has an end-game which is nearly identical in structure to most other MMOs.  If you don't care about story, though, there are other, better MMOs to give you a fast grind to end-game and a better end-game to perform raids and difficult dungeons.

Pretty much sums it up. SWToR has a great story, and that's where the fun bus stops.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

All i can say is, that i have been playing ESO and WS for the last 3 months, now im back to SWTOR wating for GSH and news for the 3.0 xpac. 

The game is far from perfect, but is fun, and thats all about. TOR have one of the best intanced PvP of the market, if not the best. The combat is fast, dynamic (far far away from the AOE spam fest of games like WS and ESO), wich make it more tactital and strategic, and even now the animations and reactive combat are just amazing .

SWTOR, like i said, is far from perfect but is a great game, gettting bigger and better overtime. 

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by hikaru77

All i can say is, that i have been playing ESO and WS for the last 3 months, now im back to SWTOR wating for GSH and news for the 3.0 xpac. 

The game is far from perfect, but is fun, and thats all about. TOR have one of the best intanced PvP of the market, if not the best. The combat is fast, dynamic (far far away from the AOE spam fest of games like WS and ESO), wich make it more tactital and strategic, and even now the animations and reactive combat are just amazing .

SWTOR, like i said, is far from perfect but is a great game, gettting bigger and better overtime. 

This right here.

I'm currently into Marvel heroes, but always go back to SWTOR on the occasion when servers are down or feeling burned out on Marvel heroes. The game isn't perfect, but its fun for me and that's all that matters.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its not the best MMO, but its good enough that i've been playing it all this time, and a subscriber too. I don't think it will ever be my 'main game' but its a game that i always have fun with even if i only play it for a couple of hours a weekimage
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Dialogues, definitely dialogues. Its the most entertaining thing for me in-game. But that's maybe because im sucker for Mass Effect. Having dialogues styles this is just lovely

Originally posted by mayito7777
    I think honestly for me this is the best MMO I have ever played so far. I never have enough time to do all the things I want to do.

Guess you just started playing. Don't worry, you'll be out of stuff to do in a month or two.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    It took me two months just to finish BH's story, so...no. You couldn't be more wrong.I don't understand these people who rush through swtor. It's like popping over to KFC for a hamburger. Even if you could do it, it wouldn't make much sense would it now? So...why do it in swtor?/shrug

It's EA/Biowares fault. If they didnt do double xp weekends to bring people back they would not level so fast and have just story.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Allacore69

Guess you just started playing. Don't worry, you'll be out of stuff to do in a month or two.

I am a casual player and have 7 characters 1 level 38, 2 level 37 1 level 23 and 2 level 15, at my pace, I may get to level 55 by july next year. I am not rushing through content, just enjoying  the story and having a blast.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by hikaru77

^ This!!!!

Just like you, I played ESO the past 3 months and after getting 50 I had no desire or interest to spend my time grinding veteran ranks by doing 1-50 quests for the other factions. So I'm back in SWTOR and having fun. It may not be in the top 5 MMO's for some but it is for me.

Originally posted by Allacore69   Originally posted by mayito7777 I think honestly for me this is the best MMO I have ever played so far. I never have enough time to do all the things I want to do.
    I am a casual player and have 7 characters 1 level 38, 2 level 37 1 level 23 and 2 level 15, at my pace, I may get to level 55 by july next year. I am not rushing through content, just enjoying  the story and having a blast.

Ah, I see. Yeah dude, don't rush. Take your time.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Definitely the best MMO for me. It was created for me.

The following things (among many others)  that I find awesome and absolutely unique in SWTOR:

1. Questing in group. It always fun for me to watch how NPCs recognize that you are not alone, that you are male or female and class as well. Also the way how dialoque wheel works in group. Playing dark side and light side in group can be hilariously funny.

2. Quests are unique, even the side quests. Majority has a clear goal and killing mobs is usually the bonus quest... which is a bonus /grin.

3. Companions. My favorite. Love them or hate them. Every one of them is special and unique. I have my favorites and I have some that I would strangle if I could LOL.

4. Classes. They are so different, including subclasses. And all of them and I tried all are fun to play.

5. Class stories. Absof****nlutly awesome, as Geralt of Rivia would say... I love all stories with my favorite sith warrior, which I am leveling 3rd toon now. My second is Agent and 4th Knight, but all of them are way above what you get in other MMOs. Maybe except TSW which I put at the same level as SWTOR regarding the storytelling.

6. Flashpoints and Operations are fun and are unique.

7. The feel of game. Very immersive. Some complain that world is too static, and there is some trueth to it, but still it is Star Warsy feeling.

8. Character immersion - first MMO that I actually care about my characters. Storytelling made it much more interesting.

9. Light sabers - enuf said.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I don't agree swtor is the best mmo to me personally, but I play it. It's the closest thing to star wars we can get to in a mmo game.

It's definitely a excellent game if your story driven just like guild wars 2 is, but it lack's something special that SWG had, which was a community driven game.