Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 Reasons to Like Vanguard

Top 10 Reason to image Vanguard

10)The competency of the developers of this game is much greater than any team out there. Microsoft will be over the entire add campaign, which is a very substantial backing.

9)The graphics are going for realism, and are actually including that detail in the surroundings, not just the player models. They appear to truly be 3rd gen, and will last through the next 5 years without a significant drop in unimpressiveness.

8)There will be much more than just adventuring if they can pull it off. Crafting as in-depth as adventuring has been proclaimed, and also a diplomacy sphere as well.

7) Absolutely no load screens--aka-this will not ruin my immersive experience, because "Loading" appears when i click on something, or walk into the abyss(walls that look like liquid)

6)They have posted several progressive solutions to the major problems that have faced every MMO so far.

5)A new combat system, no matter how this turns out, it least they're trying something different than all the previous MMO systems, which lack any depth or challenge for the most part.

4)Tying into that, the game will do its best to offer more of a challenge than previously seen.

3)There will be a more "value" content than previous MMO have offered from the start, even the most hardcore cant get through just the adventuring sphere in less than many months. Grinding does not appear to be a viable option for xp, this is a good thing.

2)It will greatly encourage you to form friendships and tackle content in small groups. Over 60% of the game is geared toward this, which most will like. There will, however, still be 20% content available for solo, and 2 whole spheres(crafting, diplomacy) that are as big as the adventuring sphere, and presumably much more solo oriented for all those times your "lfg".

1)Because I say it will be GREAT!image

Comments

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

well put :)

• hathorymhathorym Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Can't see anything with which I disagree.
  • sparkatbsparkatb Member UncommonPosts: 175

#7 is what i love most, i hate instancing.

Also to add, something that no MMOG has been able to do with a 100% seamless world (im unsure about that new pirates game though): There will also be under-water adventure area's, craft-build your own ships, experiance a full adventure at sea:

Yes, there will be underwater adventure areas at launch. Ship travel is key to the game, and having something to do while sailing is therefore important. You can fight NPCs from your ship, and NPCs can pilot ships, so you can be attacked by, say, an NPC pirate. Also, there will be areas accessible only by ship and completely underwater.
    http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=623727#post623727

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I cant wait for Vanguard to go live..Been following the game for what seems forever now.. The only complaint I have is there are no Reptilian races :(  Also I hear there are no instancing whatsoever? I would think that some end game raid content would be instanced to cut down on some of the lag.. Even the original EQ had some instancing..POF,POH were the first two areas that introduced instances..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    Great post and well worded! Brad would be proud, and so am I!image

• VarcanVarcan Member Posts: 77

Im glad you appreciated this post. I'd seen a lot of misinformation on this site, so I thought id try to nail down 10 things about this game that are absolutely true at this point.

I will say im glad to see the Vanguard followers are 1 of the only groups left that really take up for their game on these forums image. It seems most of the other games are encountering serious problems, and even the people who were all for it to begin with are admittedly disappointed. I truly feel sorry their hopes have been dashed, and hope Sigil can still pull through for us.

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

Honestly, I think Vanguard is going in the right direction and is doing everything I want to see return to mmorpgs. little or no instancing, Longer grind, and awesome raid content. Im sick of being able to reach the lvl cap in a month or less. Sure maybe its geared towards the "hardcore" gamer but if your a casual player you could still play. I dedicate alot of time to mmorpgs if I really enjoy the game and theres tons to do so this should fit me well :) it all depends on the person standards and what they are looking for.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

I don't mind a bit of a grind but as long as it's not as boring as EQ2 or WoW then it will be ok..

That's the part that scares me the most image

Yes, I definetely want it to be challenging but I want it to be fun also.  And I think the only way they will accomplish this is to truly give an incentive to group at ALL LEVELS (unlike WoW/ EQ2).

My 2cp.

• FlewwFleww Member Posts: 3
    vanguard is Everquest with tweaks its already old and boring

FLEWW AWAAYY!!!

• TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294
    What did you think of everquest fleww? I thought it was a good game but just a lil outdated now. I would like an updated everquest. It had alot of things that todays mmog dont have.
  • VicatinVicatin Member UncommonPosts: 139

Nice list... I myself also hate instancing. Though not a huge crafting fan, i do believe i would be more intrigued by it, if it werent as mindless as every other mmo's systems have been.

• bebabeba Member Posts: 3
    I only want to say 1 word... SPELLBORN... we don't need vanguard or something like that... we need Spellborn image
  • burrekburrek Member Posts: 198

Interesting post. It seems that alot of the appeal is for the EQ player that wants the old-skool (:P) EQ experience in a new package with updated gameplay.

Originally posted by Varcan

Top 10 Reason to image Vanguard

10)The competency of the developers of this game is much greater than any team out there. Microsoft will be over the entire add campaign, which is a very substantial backing.

-They have not released any products.. yet... how can you judge the compentence of the developer studio?

9)The graphics are going for realism, and are actually including that detail in the surroundings, not just the player models. They appear to truly be 3rd gen, and will last through the next 5 years without a significant drop in unimpressiveness.

-Although I admit they are nice, they are similar to EQ2. It all depends if they have enaugh artistic flair to create a good atmosphere, something EQ2 lacked even though they had the technology.

8)There will be much more than just adventuring if they can pull it off. Crafting as in-depth as adventuring has been proclaimed, and also a diplomacy sphere as well.

-Cool! We need more games where combat is not the only answere

7) Absolutely no load screens--aka-this will not ruin my immersive experience, because "Loading" appears when i click on something, or walk into the abyss(walls that look like liquid)

-Always a nice touch, but loading screens are hardly game breaking.

6)They have posted several progressive solutions to the major problems that have faced every MMO so far.

-I'm looing forward to some innovation!

5)A new combat system, no matter how this turns out, it least they're trying something different than all the previous MMO systems, which lack any depth or challenge for the most part.

-Sounds similar to GW from what I've read.

4)Tying into that, the game will do its best to offer more of a challenge than previously seen.

-In what way? I hope they mean you have to play smart... and not play more or play the "right" way.

3)There will be a more "value" content than previous MMO have offered from the start, even the most hardcore cant get through just the adventuring sphere in less than many months. Grinding does not appear to be a viable option for xp, this is a good thing.

-It would be great if they pull that off.

2)It will greatly encourage you to form friendships and tackle content in small groups. Over 60% of the game is geared toward this, which most will like. There will, however, still be 20% content available for solo, and 2 whole sphere(crafting, diplomacy) that are as big as the adventuring sphere, and presumably much more solo oriented for all those times your "lfg".

-I like this feature alot.

1)Because I say it will be GREAT!image

-Not sure how convincing that is

Sounds like a good game in the making and geared towards and older player base. If they do good on 2,3 and 5 I'll certainly be playing.
  • HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

From webby: "2.5.4 Sometimes we European players feel 'second class' in terms of support, release dates, etc. What does Sigil plan on doing to address this concern and issue?

Microsoft is the distributer for VSoH. They are a very 'global company'. Ultimately be their decision as they are the publisher and distributor. Sigil is very much in favor of doing this globally but also realizes there are a lot of factors involved, most of which are outside of our control."

The only thing that might piss me off is just that being given sub standard support.

Sorry I'm trying to find bad points, that's all I could come up with ::::18::

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

Very well stated.

I couldnt of put a better list together myself =p

to the guy posted above me, I do not know the way they will handle their euro player base, probally just like all other mmo's, your own server, with your own gm's, and a snowballs chance in hell of getting a petition answered, unless, their customer support becomes outstanding. But they arent god. lol, they cant please everyone, there will be a few to slip through their cracks, and make it seem like they dont care, but with microsoft doing their advertising, and initial backing, i have high hopes that everything will be fine for Euro players. *crosses fingers* played on the euro server in EQ2, i understand where your coming from, god damn that was horrid support.

• KazzerKazzer Member Posts: 648

no instancing is waht i love moste aswell :-)

• HyodaHyoda Member Posts: 45

I'm a WoW, GW, FFXI lover? I was a little turned off my Vanguard because of the graphics. It really did not look like it could keep up to par with whats already out and whats coming out (Age of Conan). But over time I keeped hearing hardcore MMO players talking about this game....yes I feel that Vanguard is pulling in the Vet'z of MMO's...guys that have been playing alot longer than I have. So I was like "hmmm ok lets look into it a little more."

Im not diss'n MMORPG.com for its screens but when I went to the official site of vanguard they had some pretty tight screens that Iv not seen yet. The only thing thats turning me off a little is....well the concept of the game. I'm seen alot of Egypt type .......dinos........(should bite my tongue because WoW kind of doing that)....not really original areas and mobs...looks like they picked up a high school history book and made it into a game.

I think this game is going to be a great adventure and Im keeping my eye on this one. Every now and then I'm going to read the Lore...little by little. Peace out until then

• ArremusArremus Member Posts: 656

Over 60% of the game is geared toward this, which most will like. There will, however, still be 20% content available for solo, and 2 whole spheres(crafting, diplomacy) that are as big as the adventuring sphere, and presumably much more solo oriented for all those times your "lfg".

So what's the other 20%..? Downtime? image

Ok, so wait.. we've got 60% + 20%, plus 2 spheres as big as the adventuring sphere, so that's 240%, plus much more solo orientated stuff while lfg, so add another 50%...
    Holy shyzer! That's 290%!! That's one HUGE game! image

Ok, so I'm just teasing. I love enthusiasm, and hope Vanguard lives up to all your expectations, and I'll probably end up trying it if it comes out before HJ.

On the question of Downtime; has this been addressed? Are there mana pools and downtime like most current MMOs? Or have they found a way to circumvent this annoyance?

Anyways, nice list, although rather fanboish and assuming what the Devs say now will actually happen, but at least it wasn't:
    "10) Coz Sigil is rulez!
    9) Cos Vangard will rulez cos Sigil iz rules!" etc.

Here's to a smooth/timely release.

"(The) Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude." - George W Bush.
    Oh. My. God.

• VarcanVarcan Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Arremus

So what's the other 20%..? Downtime? image

Ok, so wait.. we've got 60% + 20%, plus 2 spheres as big as the adventuring sphere, so that's 240%, plus much more solo orientated stuff while lfg, so add another 50%...
    Holy shyzer! That's 290%!! That's one HUGE game! image

Hehe...290%, Ilike the way you thinkimage.

Just to clearify, incase some others are wandering, the other 20% of the adventuring sphere is raiding content.  I would have mentioned it, but it wasn't part of the point I was trying to make there.

• DownyDowny Member Posts: 6
    I'll have to try this when it comes out it looks just like eq2. I 've playing eq2 since release so i might like this game. no loading could be ok hope its not there gold standard tho. dungeon seige's selling point was no load screens ( i realise it not an mmorpg) and I didnt like that game at all.