Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enough space ships already?

M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

I posted this originally on CIG forums, which of course got quickly locked, and got me banned. Why wouldnt it?  CIG cant let anyone interfere with their milking of the sheeple for their money.

CIG is working on these overpriced ships non-stop as if the game already been out. How about concentrate on making the rest of the game, I think theres a plethora of ships already for a game that isnt even 10% complete, 9% of which is ships. How many more variants can you come up? I am sure theres plenty of fans who enjoy this, who have bought their houses and have families with good jobs, they dont mind waiting for the game to come out as they are busy with their lives, and they dont mind buying new "kewl" ships cuz they have enough money to throw at them, but realistically, this is ridiculous that theyve been churning out ships with already overly bloated funding. Meanwhile true gamers are effing tired of these non-stop bullsh1t ship packages. This is not how a normal game development is conducted.

I havent played AC module after the first couple of days i tried it because it's so boring. Although I constantly check the news section, it is always full of either lore nonsense or the news about new ships. I have nothing against CIG making ships to keep themselves from starving once the game is out, but god, release something we can actually enjoy already. 
Elite Dangerous has pretty much completed their game and it's not half as bad as SC. But of course, it's only natural that devs with a smaller budget care more about their fans satisfaction than money gobbling.

I personally spent $450 on this game already, and highly offended by how they are conducting this game development, I may even be dropping this game if I find another good game to trade this account for.

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I guess im in teh Semi silent majority that can actually wait for the game

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    Originally posted by apocoluster

I think my problem here is a matter of principle. Theyve already made more money than most AAA MMO titles but they are still trying to milk people for more money. And instead of making the actual game a priority , and shortening release-time, they are concentrating on making even more money, which is highly unethical. 

• gothmog99zgothmog99z Member Posts: 22
    ethics in a for profit company ,you must be joking.i for one would not give a dime to a game that is not even in alpha.when you ptw you also ptl.
    Originally posted by gothmog99z
    ethics in a for profit company ,you must be joking

Meanwhile Chris Roberts claims to be a saint of game development.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Personally I'm not a fan of their fundraising, marketing or development model and will not get involved financially until release. If, however you are willing to drop $450 on sight unseen it should come as no surprise that CIG will continue trying to attract more people willing to do the same.

Hopefully SC's weekly/monthly digital art sales don't set a precedent for future kickstarters.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Don't really follow this game or care about it, but i guess whoever is making the models needs to have something to do right?

It's likely that whoever is creating those ships is not actually part of the programming team who develop game functionality.

That considered, these ship releases shouldn't be slowing down anything and if it keeps them funded that seems pretty nice.

theres a reason so many people hate early access models.

Originally posted by GrayImpact

Don't really follow this game or care about it, but i guess whoever is making the models needs to have something to do right?

It's likely that whoever is creating those ships is not actually part of the programming team who develop game functionality.

That considered, these ship releases shouldn't be slowing down anything and if it keeps them funded that seems pretty nice.

I hear this argument all the time especially for the games that flopped either before or right after release.  They do have a main dev team making ships, but they also outsource extra modelers for these ships. And 2nd, the team that is making ships, can always migrate to other components of modelling besides ship, it's not like they only learned how to model ships.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by M4ko

I hear this argument all the time especially for the games that flopped either before or right after release.  They do have a main dev team making ships, but they also outsource extra modelers for these ships. And 2nd, the team that is making ships, can always migrate to other components of modelling besides ship, it's not like they only learned how to model ships.

If you have such a low opinion of them, then why did you invest so much in it? Personally i am quite content to wait until they finish, but even so, no amount of complaining about things is going to get the game made any faster, pretty sure they are doing the best they can already.image

• TwofeetTwofeet Member Posts: 11

But it is utterly mercenary, it is a cash grab.  They take money from kickstarter, they increase their target, they take money on their website, they increase their target, they release an over-priced ship, they release another one and another one.  At the moment it is all vapourware.  

Just make the game already.  In fact I don't care if they do or don't I have lost interest.  

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

I think my problem here is a matter of principle. Theyve already made more money than most AAA MMO titles but they are still trying to milk people for more money. And instead of making the actual game a priority , and shortening release-time, they are concentrating on making even more money, which is highly unethical. 

Which should be a red flag for anyone with common sense.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

When I heard they were selling so many ships I thought..why?

Oh wow, I can buy this expensive ship and rotate it around.  I can't fly it yet, but ooooo it's cool to look at.  Oh look, they brought another one that's even cooler then the one I just bought.  

Some probably feel compelled to buy that one too.  Why do it now, and not wait till the game comes out.  From what I heard they need to work on several aspects of the game yet, because sounds like a cluster **** of a mess.

I think it'd be funny if they just up and disappeared, they have all the money from putting out these imaginary ships and the kickstarter.

Well I hope the games worth it for those who have spent a lot of money. 

Originally posted by Nightfyre

Oh wow, I can buy this expensive ship and rotate it around.  I can't fly it yet, but ooooo it's cool to look at.  Oh look, they brought another one that's even cooler then the one I just bought.  

Some probably feel compelled to buy that one too.  Why do it now, and not wait till the game comes out.  From what I heard they need to work on several aspects of the game yet, because sounds like a cluster **** of a mess.

I think it'd be funny if they just up and disappeared, they have all the money from putting out these imaginary ships and the kickstarter.

Or just released an empty back screen where you could admire your expensive ship to your heart's content.  

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Twofeet
    Originally posted by Nightfyre

Or just released an empty back screen where you could admire your expensive ship to your heart's content.  

Probably why the Turbulent team are revamping the website with a WebGL ship viewer, It lets backers "interact" with their purchase without having to produce any actual in-game assets.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13954-XiAn-Scout-Available# ~halway down the page.

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

What you have in red here is pretty inaccurate actually. Most AAA MMO's cost over 50$ million so... Star Citizen has a little bit more to go.

Here is a source: http://kotaku.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game-1501413649

(I realize it is Kotaku but they actually cite their sources for the budgets and it is the best list I found that actually does list sources.)

Secondly why would a game about FLYING SPACE SHIPS not try to have AS MANY SPACE SHIPS as possible?

I mean the guys doing ships are not the same guys doing environments, coding, character models, ect. ; so why would they not have them continue working on stuff so that once the game launches there is more content?

And I am not saying this game couldn't flop, but I am not really seeing the issue that people have with the way SC is being made. I personally have not given them a red cent and I wont be doing so until they show me they have a working product; but I do not begrudge the people who have backed the game already either.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

But they are scamming people into spending more money on a game that has built virtually nothing....

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by SirBalin
    Originally posted by apocoluster I guess im in teh Semi silent majority that can actually wait for the game
    But they are scamming people into spending more money on a game that has built virtually nothing....

How are they scamming people? Everyone knows the game isn't there yet, if people choose to fund it by buying ships now how are they being scammed?

To address the OP; you don't think they can also work on other parts of the game while having a couple of people modeling ships for a few hours a week? In the long term is more ships not a good thing? The overall development of the game will not be altered in any way by adding a few more ships here and there.

If people are still willing to drop huge amounts of money on SC would they not be quite a bad company to not take advantage of that?

Originally posted by wucks

Originally posted by apocoluster I guess im in teh Semi silent majority that can actually wait for the game

How are they scamming people? Everyone knows the game isn't there yet, if people choose to fund it by buying ships now how are they being scammed?

To address the OP; you don't think they can also work on other parts of the game while having a couple of people modeling ships for a few hours a week? In the long term is more ships not a good thing? The overall development of the game will not be altered in any way by adding a few more ships here and there.

If people are still willing to drop huge amounts of money on SC would they not be quite a bad company to not take advantage of that?

I would say that its a fine balance to strike.  Profiteering is not particularly attractive to potential customers. 

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

I think Chris Roberts is a brilliant man and if I were a fortune 500 HR manager I would hire him on the spot for top dollar.

Why? I think he is a revolutionary marketeer. Think about it. Today, games sell because of hype. But the problem is that games never meet the hype level and result in disapointment, therefore lower cash shop and box sales.

But SC is different. Chris sells virtual items for a yet to be developed game with huge hype. Because he is 'indie' and therefore can endlessly stall his development there is no disapointment. In essence, he sells you stuff which you think will be awesome because there is no game (yet) to bring you back to earth. That's fking GENIUS man!

It is the next level of marketing because he is essentially selling you eyecandy and there is no better way to please the eye and mind than selling a guy eyecandy with promise of rainbow and sunshine!

• siicAdelicsiicAdelic Member Posts: 31

I bet the game would appear overnight if we started demanding refunds and pulling our cash out of the project.

I've been burned on so many crowdfunded games now starting to think this is just another in the list of many.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

First off you guys are the sheep that keep giving them money. If they just keep making money then they are just going to keep selling ships. I'm not a fan of space games and will not play this game, but I was just interested in the title. I would not fret though because from what I have read about Chris Roberts, you will be getting a very solid game.

Patience.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Secondly why would a game about FLYING SPACE SHIPS not try to have AS MANY SPACE SHIPS as possible?

Keyword being GAME. There is none yet.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Scamming people? They offer something for an asking price and people pay it, that's not scamming people.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Originally posted by vgamer

Well, generally speaking you build a good bit of the assets before you put up a playable game. At least, that's how I understood it? Perhaps you know of a game that released without assets finished?

It is entirely possible I am mistaken here, but can't you already play a combat mode of the game with some of the ships as well as interact with your ships in some sort of hangar type thingy?

I could be entirely mistaken though, perhaps you can clear that up for me? :D

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Axllow18
    Originally posted by vgamer

Well, generally speaking you build a good bit of the assets before you put up a playable game. At least, that's how I understood it? Perhaps you know of a game that released without assets finished?

It is entirely possible I am mistaken here, but can't you already play a combat mode of the game with some of the ships as well as interact with your ships in some sort of hangar type thingy?

I could be entirely mistaken though, perhaps you can clear that up for me? :D

Yes they released a small "app" to test out flight and combat mechanics, key word being test...

you're 100% correct on the other portion of your post. IN order to release said "app" they first had to build said systems and assets.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

ITT: people declaring what gaming companies should do with 0 experience in the gaming industry nor any understanding of how the development team for Star Citizen is currently split up. Because you know, there would be no way that the guys responsible for developing gameplay mechanics aren't the same guys who build new ships... right?