Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is happening?

13»

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Funniest part about this company is that they keep having to push it back already as it's gotten bigger than they imagined, but then they add a new ship every other month and charge people for it...I think this is just way over their head....sadly.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MogrisMogris Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by SirBalin
    Funniest part about this company is that they keep having to push it back already as it's gotten bigger than they imagined, but then they add a new ship every other month and charge people for it...I think this is just way over their head....sadly.

Sadly, you may be right. Everytime I think the developer's of star citizen know it too, they start trying to sell a new ship or item. I think the backers are part of the problem. If backers keep buying ships, skins, and other incomplete virtual items, Star Citizen developers will be tempted to sell them.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Mogris
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Sadly, you may be right. Everytime I think the developer's of star citizen know it too, they start trying to sell a new ship or item. I think the backers are part of the problem. If backers keep buying ships, skins, and other incomplete virtual items, Star Citizen developers will be tempted to sell them.

But the game will release with a choice of hundreds of ships ! Gonna be awesome

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by driver4hire

Alright maybe this is just stupid,  I was speaking with a friend about Start Citizen the other day.  Neither of us have pledged.  

We cannot bring ourselves to even believe that a game will come out of the studio, I mean maybe once again we both have a skewed view of what it takes to develop a game but as of today 18/6/2014 they claim to have received approximately 46.5 million dollars in funding.  WoW  46.5 million in funding.  This company could easily bring an amount of money like that to an investment firm and conservatively make 10% in a year.

A few things to help you out.

1. pouring more money into a project at some point will not make the game develop any faster. MMOs takes years to make. I think this one has been in dev for about 1 1/2 years.

2. Star Citizen will cost more. Why? because of the detailed graphics and features. This is not a WoW clone they are making here.

3. He went to investment firms, he was turned down. See that is the entire reason kickstarters are so successful

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Two words: Feature creep. IMO they're letting this project balloon out of control as they add more and more onto what they had in mind when the budget was only a couple million. It's one of the dangers associated with not having a publisher or investor to oversee development of a project, and to establish deadlines, milestones, monitor / adjust cash flow, etc.

Creep has brought down many a haughty developer before. Star Citizen wouldn't be the first, nor the last to suffer such a fate.

Disclaimer: Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying crowd funding is better or worse than a more 'traditionally' funded game, but it has its own associated set of risks to go along with it, and creep is a big one. Just ask George Broussard.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• driver4hiredriver4hire Member UncommonPosts: 78

Gosh this escalated.... simple question that was answered early lol haven't checked this thread in weeks.  

Thanks for all those responses i guess allot of people are extremely passionate and follow this hard.  It'd certainly be nice to have the game they are promising us, so I hope it makes it.

Just to note whoever said this was some kind of ad campaign for anti crowd funding.  You got me. lol

Currently playing : World of Tanks, LoL
    Waiting for: The game of my dreams
    Played: Everything
    Favorites being Eve, UO and SWG Pre-CU

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Two words: Feature creep. IMO they're letting this project balloon out of control as they add more and more onto what they had in mind when the budget was only a couple million. It's one of the dangers associated with not having a publisher or investor to oversee development of a project, and to establish deadlines, milestones, monitor / adjust cash flow, etc.

Creep has brought down many a haughty developer before. Star Citizen wouldn't be the first, nor the last to suffer such a fate.

Disclaimer: Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying crowd funding is better or worse than a more 'traditionally' funded game, but it has its own associated set of risks to go along with it, and creep is a big one. Just ask George Broussard.

Holy cow revealing features that were always planned is not feature creep, it is feature reveal

It is easy to spot uninformed negative nancies when they spout their "feature creep" nonsense.

The line is drawn very clearly between "release content" and "some time after release" content.

I know that line since 2012 and it hasn't changed a bit. 

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    Originally posted by driver4hire

Your not really paying for a product, nor are you owning anything, no rights to anything.  The word "Pledge" is almost like... tithing to a religious group.  You couldn't sue a  religious group for robbing you if you openly "pledged" money for something and never saw results.  It is definitely different from buying/owning something.

Actually it doesnt matter what they call it on their website, Pledge or Pay, you are still buying a product, since they are not officially crowdfunding the game anymore.  Although legality of still uncertain since you are willingly paying money for products, viability of which is very vague: that includes the actual final state of the game and the the times it takes to release it. In other words, they can stretch the development for another 10 years and release a game in very bad shape and still wont be liable to return money.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Azzras

1.  You can already play part of the game via dog fighting.

This effort takes nothing a few people couldn't pull off in a few months.

2.  If they did what you fear and put the money off shore and didn't produce a game, they would be incarcerated.

What they have done so far is nothing more than over spending and still easy to make for a few million,so yes they CAN bank the MAJORITY of money and probably are.I would bet this is a VERY small team keeps the noise quiet that way.

3.  This game has way to much visibility for them to be dumb enough to try that.

They already collected multi millions before showing anyone anything aside from some pictures.

5.  There wouldn't be a place on earth they could hide from all the fans if they ripped backers off.

There was an investor right in my city in Canada that took MANY millions from investors.Remember Conrad Black he stole millions from US and Canadians and in the end all he did was serve 37 months in Prison.Gets out of Prison and lives the high life where he is living in Canada again.BTW he was given the Order of Canada ,only given to a select few so not like SC industries are more visible than this guy was.

5.  I like pie.

You might like a piece of the pie but all any player of this game will ever own is NOTHING only a part time license to play the game,everything virtual is owned by the developer even though it is YOUR money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.