Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ability to "Like / Dislike" a user's post.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Ability to "Like / Dislike" a user's post.

While there are many posters here, there are countless readers who do not post. It would be interesting to a "Like / Dislike" count on threads, posts, and replies.

10 Likes  /  0 Dislikes

Comments

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Dislike
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by Foobarx
    Dislike

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I like the idea. image

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Maybe likes, but not dislikes. Considering how the internet is, people are more likely to give out dislikes than likes.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Pointless ratings like that are more something for a crowd that loves being manipulated.

Try suggesting it to FB.

Woops too late

Harbinger of Fools
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The staff here has repeatedly stated there will never be negative ratings for what members post.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I wouldn't mind an "Agree" button on posts. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how many people would "agree" on a post where the author claims to speak for the majority, compared to the person he or she is arguing against.

- Nellus

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Dislike this idea.  I would appreciate an agree button though.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    You mean an upvote or downvote method?  I don't care for it, this is a forum site not a Reddit thread.  This would be abused and be an all to easy way to obscure someone's opinion just because you disagree with them.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I bet that feature would be even more manipulated than this site's awesome games-hypemeter.

Therefore i like the idea!

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    I'm already liking to dislike the idea, people have opinions, just because they don't agree with some members doesn't mean to say they are wrong or right.  The idea is to discuss each others opinions whether its subjective or not, not to rate something into oblivion because we disagree with it.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    As we've mentioned when this has been brought up previously, we're OK with the idea of having a "Like" button, but we are not going to ever do a "Dislike" or downvote type of feature.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
  • TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    I think it will turn into some popularity contest on a site such as this without much reference to the actual content or credibility of the post.  I am not a fan of the idea.  We have already seen the way posters (me included) often devolve into two camps of those who like or dislike any given game, and liking or disliking posts will only fuel the flame war.  
  • ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    suggested it years ago and got flamed.
  • garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I like the idea of positive reinforcement...and at the very worst it would be an interesting social experiment on the mmorpg.com culture.

Just imagine the wonderful metrics that could be gathered and might make mmorpg.com some additional coinage.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Ewwww.....why are we trying to make MMORPG.com like Facebook?!

Where's the any key?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Slackker
    I wouldn't mind an "Agree" button on posts. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how many people would "agree" on a post where the author claims to speak for the majority, compared to the person he or she is arguing against.
    An "agree function" I could get behind. Negative voting in any form has no redeeming qualities.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Can I have a "its complicated button"
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by MikeB
    As we've mentioned when this has been brought up previously, we're OK with the idea of having a "Like" button, but we are not going to ever do a "Dislike" or downvote type of feature.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

I would be ok with this as long as:

1. It comes with a general forum upgrade or replacement to something modern and more functional.  The current forum software is absolute shit.
    2. Being liked or disliked doesn't do anything to your post.  Some systems hide disliked posts if it reaches a threshold of 'votes'.  That promotes some bad behavior.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Originally posted by Quesa

1. It comes with a general forum upgrade or replacement to something modern and more functional.  The current forum software is absolute shit.
    2. Being liked or disliked doesn't do anything to your post.  Some systems hide disliked posts if it reaches a threshold of 'votes'.  That promotes some bad behavior.

It would not be ok.  Everyone splits into camps (as is natural) depending upon the game they like.  It would fuel a flame war between those that like and dislike a game regardless of how credible the post is.  

This forum can become toxic enough as it is without the ability to ostracise people for unpopular but perfectly sound opinions.  

In fact it would just create a few pariahs and many popularity-chasing sheep.  aargh.   

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Slackker

you can always quote and say agree.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

It would not be ok.  Everyone splits into camps (as is natural) depending upon the game they like.  It would fuel a flame war between those that like and dislike a game regardless of how credible the post is.  

This forum can become toxic enough as it is without the ability to ostracise people for unpopular but perfectly sound opinions.  

In fact it would just create a few pariahs and many popularity-chasing sheep.  aargh.   

This happens everywhere. I don't mind when people grab their pitchforks against someone and downvote them, it's happened to me before and you just move past it.  I find it much better to have a like/dislike system in place to take care of the majority of those who run a downvote campaign on you rather than the thread filled up with 15 more useless posts doing the same.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

This happens everywhere. I don't mind when people grab their pitchforks against someone and downvote them, it's happened to me before and you just move past it.  I find it much better to have a like/dislike system in place to take care of the majority of those who run a downvote campaign on you rather than the thread filled up with 15 more useless posts doing the same.

You might, I am note sure it would be the general consensus.  I think that some people would feel loathed to express a true opinion on a game for fear of the downvote crew.  

Look, in any other sphere of debate you are not allowed to heckle someone into submission.  You are expected to win by virtue of your abilities to debate and the strength of your argument.  For me the internet is Wild West enough without introducing people to the sometimes miss-informed diatribe of opinion in face of reasonable opinion.  

As an example, it was released the other day that GW2 have sold 3.8m of their product in China.  In the overwhelming onslaught of fanbois would anyone have pointed out that these figures were based on a complete misconception of the truth?  Maybe, or maybe not, but the dial would swing further to the 'not'.