Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free-to-play ?...No, just no.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm not playing the alpha. $150 is telling me something about the credibility of this company.

Free-to-play is telling me more.......I don't care how good this game is.  The first thing that comes to me is this "F2P cash shop".  For me this crushes everything.  Alpha players get $75 in cash shop points ?......This makes it sound important that others will need to dump $75 real cash !

Unrelated to F2P :

How come we have at least 200 Asian mmos released without an alpha $150 cash grab, yet this one has one.....All of a sudden, a company needs UP FRONT MONEY ?

Half is about game play, the other half is about Accounting.  The second half, no one knows anything about. This second half could easily destroy any hopes of this game !

In this case 1+1 does not = 2......It's just not adding up :(

Comments

• ElendengelElendengel Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I think the reason for the $150 up front is because of the large amount of interest in the game.  The community has been watching the development of the game, waiting for it to be released in NA and constantly asking when and for more information.  So the cost is definitely based on demand for this particular game.  Whether it is right or not is up for debate, but I doubt few other games could do this and be successful, and from what I've read those who have paid for this are not unhappy with their investment.
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Amarid
    So the cost is definitely based on demand for this particular game.  Whether it is right or not is up for debate, but I doubt few other games could do this and be successful, and from what I've read those who have paid for this are not unhappy with their investment.

Yeah and that is why TESO had a $1,500 alpha/beta test fee...or not.

I actually cannot believe you went there.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It's about time many are not un happy with an mmo.

This should be normal and not exploited.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    I paid $150 the first day the Alpha pack was available, and haven't regretted it at all. Love the game, and the perks with the Alpha package seem pretty fair. As far as being required to spend $75 in the cash shop - I don't think that's true at all, but as it currently stands - I wouldn't want to be a 'free' player in this game. Patron status (sub) all the way.
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    I paid $150 the first day the Alpha pack was available, and haven't regretted it at all. Love the game, and the perks with the Alpha package seem pretty fair. As far as being required to spend $75 in the cash shop - I don't think that's true at all, but as it currently stands - I wouldn't want to be a 'free' player in this game. Patron status (sub) all the way.

well, first of all you contradicted yourself by saying you don't think people are required to spend $75 in the cash shop by following it up with you don't want to be a "free" player because patron is the way to go.

secondly, it is not a free to play game, its a freemium game with a sub option that allows you do to everything.

So, we get the pleasure of all the mouthbreathers doing as they please and not caring if they get banned because they can just create a new account (along with the countless gold sellers spamming) while needing to still pay a sub if we want to actually enjoy the entire game. Wonderful.

I will stick with the Japanese version since Japanese people don't create troll accounts or act like asses because they can.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Pointless thread is pointless..there are other 123124 threads about the same thing do some researches.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by An4thor
    Pointless thread is pointless..there are other 123124 threads about the same thing do some researches.

Do they talk about the other 200 Asian games not charging $150 ?

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by Tbau

well, first of all you contradicted yourself by saying you don't think people are required to spend $75 in the cash shop by following it up with you don't want to be a "free" player because patron is the way to go.

secondly, it is not a free to play game, its a freemium game with a sub option that allows you do to everything.

So, we get the pleasure of all the mouthbreathers doing as they please and not caring if they get banned because they can just create a new account (along with the countless gold sellers spamming) while needing to still pay a sub if we want to actually enjoy the entire game. Wonderful.

I will stick with the Japanese version since Japanese people don't create troll accounts or act like asses because they can.

I don't really consider this a contradiction, as I believe the game should be P2P and not F2P. The benefits to being a 'Patron' are worth it, and I should point out that it is not necessary to pay real money to be a 'Patron', as they have implemented a type of currency similar to EvE's PLEX. I do agree that there will be a ton of free players that will try to ruin the fun wherever possible. Unfortunately, that's something we don't have control of. However, the game is awesome and I will certainly be playing in live.

Originally posted by delete5230
    Originally posted by An4thor

Do they talk about the other 200 Asian games not charging $150 ?

and what's your point? Leaving aside that most Asian games are garbage; who is forcing you to pay 250$ for an alpha access. Wait for release.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

There is nothing wrong with Trion's credibility, they have one goal, to separate you from your money, the more the better.  That is the goal of every game producer out there, and they all try different approaches to make it happen. (with varying results)

There is a clear market of people that will pay a premium price for premium features, be it early access, cash store points, special pre-order items and every company is going to try to exploit that in the future, they'd be stupid not to.

There is also a clear market of people who either cannot or will not try a game unless it is F2P first, so they are going to make that available.

They correctly reward people who sub (patron status) and my only complaint is they don't go far enough, there should be even more substantial benefits for subscribers vs F2Pers a la SWTOR, though I suspect theirs will be closer to the Rift model which is overly generous to the freeloaders IMO.

Of course the cash shop will likely have something worth buying, wouldn't make sense if it didnt', just have to make sure it doesn't go over the top where people feel encouraged to spend excessive amounts of cash, but if every F2P person felt encouraged to spend 5 or 10 bucks a month on it, then they've found the right balance.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85

They literally just gave away thousands of free closed beta keys yesterday. They could have used the announcement of the next testing phase as a way to drive up the sales on these "founders packs" but instead they just gave away a bunch of free keys. Like the game or not, I think that's a pretty classy move.

In any event, the reason that you keep seeing these "up front money" (as you call it) purchasable packs, is that people keep buying them. First people were selling a 5 day head start access and people paid for that so they kept doing it, then it was paid beta and alpha and people went along with that...

Don't get mad at the company for doing what works. If you're looking for someone to blame for the state of affairs that MMO's are in these days blame the players.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Originally posted by DMKano

Ah not this crap again.

You don't like it - don't pay, simple?

The reason why SoE, Trion and almost any alpha game ask for money upfront is simple

1. They get players that genuinely love the game and get their feedback. 

2. They get to cover the cost of hardware/localization etc... (in case of Trion/ArcheAge)

But come actual launch it will be free to play (with housing restrictions), again if you don't like it - just don't play period.

But to say that the game is not F2P because Alpha is P2P is silly.

This ^

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Either you have patience or you pay in advance ?
    Whats the problem ?
    Ah i see it !!! Mommy can i have 50 dollar for game pls pls pls ! I WANT GAME NAOW MOMMY........I WANT PLAY GAME NOAW !!!!!!

Seriously get a job or have the patience till it comes out.
    All shit is going to be wiped from Beta server so it doesnt matter one bit.

You can also download the Russian client and try it out there if you realy realy realy want to play Archage right now.
    Google it and find out how easy it is to get that shit done.

This whole crying about paying for a alpha or beta by poor people who cannot accept the new way to generate cash should go play on consoles or quit gaming.

have fun.

Now that i noticed it. The image on the bg says that CBT is live now; but it isn't till next week.

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/07/archeage-closed-beta-starts-july-17/

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    2014-7-12   ArcheAge   ArcheAge Beta 1 Invitation    (thanks MMOHUT)

Think I'll try it before I decide on it. :-)

Money spent: $0.00

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DMKano

Ah not this crap again.

You don't like it - don't pay, simple?

The reason why SoE, Trion and almost any alpha game ask for money upfront is simple

1. They get players that genuinely love the game and get their feedback. 

2. They get to cover the cost of hardware/localization etc... (in case of Trion/ArcheAge)

But come actual launch it will be free to play (with housing restrictions), again if you don't like it - just don't play period.

But to say that the game is not F2P because Alpha is P2P is silly.

Also if Trion gave away how many 1000s of free beta keys yesterday?????

What about credibility again?

I mean they could have just made all beta testers buy keys..... 

so yeah, so much for that theory.

That argument is always stupid, but weirdly common here. It goes right along with if a game isn't 100% free it's a scam so I'd rather play p2p. I've never been able to follow the logic in that one.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've been in a few alphas and a lot of betas.  Never paid a dime for them.  I can't blame any company for a money grab when people will actually pay for it.  There isn't a single game I could think of in my wildest dreams that I would pay to play a broken version of it (that's what alpha is usually).

Edit: Except the new Zelda game *wink wink* Nintendo!

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    The time ive spent in alpha is one of the most fun ive had in a mmo the 150 i payed well worth it and for those cry and bitching theres a cash shop or OMG you have to play for options in the game get over it and move on we dont want you in game anyway .
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

You're paying for the game's release in the west... one pixel at a time. 

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

Agree completely...I'll gladly pay a sub fee if it's a great game. F2P blows...

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    While I agree that $150 for alpha access is a bit ridiculous, I no longer have any issues whatsoever with a game being free to play. Times have changed. F2P is just like P2P now..some are good, some are bad, and some are okay. F2P is no longer synonymous with trash like it was a decade ago.
  • BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

F2P and cash shops are here to stay, sorry if you do not like this payment model, but saying I do not want to pay to play a game and want everything someone who does pay is just Silly. 

150 for alpha has been most likely the best 150 bucks I have spent on a game, last game I was this addicted too was Daoc.

For those who did toss down 150 dollars they will most likely get six months of full access to the two alpha servers, all the betas till release and then get a four day head start.  If that is not enough they start with in game cash, patron status.  Very cheap actually for what you are getting.

Whenever  you start calling people names in an discussion you have already lost.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by delete5230

I'm not playing the alpha. $150 is telling me something about the credibility of this company.

Free-to-play is telling me more.......I don't care how good this game is.  The first thing that comes to me is this "F2P cash shop".  For me this crushes everything.  Alpha players get $75 in cash shop points ?......This makes it sound important that others will need to dump $75 real cash !

Unrelated to F2P :

How come we have at least 200 Asian mmos released without an alpha $150 cash grab, yet this one has one.....All of a sudden, a company needs UP FRONT MONEY ?

Half is about game play, the other half is about Accounting.  The second half, no one knows anything about. This second half could easily destroy any hopes of this game !

In this case 1+1 does not = 2......It's just not adding up :(

credibility?

they are not liying, they are telling you how much it costs. take or leave it. the price has nothing to do with credibility

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

Dear OP,

last time I checked Trion still resisted the urge to force people at gunpoint to buy their alpha/beta/gamma/whatevergreekletter access. All those people did it because they wanted to. I know, to accept the freedom of others to act stupid is hard, but just assume they are all spoiled rich kids with more money than brains and your self esteem is ok again. It is dead wrong, but you will probably still feel better.

The same goes for F2P with cash-shop as a general concept. It exists because it works and because people spend money in it. Oftentimes more than they spent with subs. And believe it or not, the companies behind those games are there to make a profit. Ok, sometimes they lie you in the face by pretending it is about your fun first and foremost. But yeah, the world is evil and marketing is the most wicked of them all. They are there to make a profit and they give a rats ass about your fun as long as you pay up and shut up. It doesn't matter if it is f2p, b2p, sub...  In fact some bright people already looked thrhough the scheme and made out that f2p is nothing but an extended demo with low monetization for a large part and a very high monetization for a small part  of the players who stay after they played the free demo features.

The net result is that games like Lotro and DnD online are still running since after their transformation from sub to "free" they got profitable. See the scheme? Companies like profits. They feed on them!

So just relax, play the free demos and spend money if and when you actually like to - and accept that other people have the exact same rights, if you like their motivations or not.

Life can really be so easy.

• Did they really say they are going F2P? I been watching this game as of late but if that's the case, I'm outta here.