Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Shards Online: The Development Road Map

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

If you have been a regular around the site for the past few months you have probably seen the name Shards Online. Under development by Citadel Studios, Shards is being billed as a new generation in sandbox multiplayer gaming. In fact it made such an impression on the team around here that it was awarded the Best Indie MMO at PAX this year.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Shards Online: The Development Road Map.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,040
    Good luck. This one deserves a chance.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286
    the alpha date sounds too late, by then this genre will be overdone just like it always had been
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,772
    Originally posted by seigard
    the alpha date sounds too late, by then this genre will be overdone just like it always had been

The oldschool Ultima like MMO? With completely customizable realms that are user ran? What other game is there like that?

• LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91

I'm keen... however if the game delivers less than some of the best Ultima Online free servers then it will likely struggle.

Certainly keen to give this a look, although I'd be interested to know who from the previous UO dev team they have on board as I'd say only a small core of that group did anything worthwhile to further the success of that game.

• MMOreaverMMOreaver Member UncommonPosts: 75

@Lupos They seem only have second row people.. so no Richard Garriot ;(

And they don´t seem to know that Divinity Original Sin has all their editor features and better gfx and better rpg setting and better GUI. Who knows how many other games will have that too until Shards release...

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,040

Divinity allows dozens(early) or hundreds(later) of players on the server?  Divinity let's you design a sci-fi world? Or steam punk?  Or Wild West?  Divinity let's you "cluster" servers together?

I better go check it out.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I did the weekend test awhile back.. They have a ton ton ton ton ton of work to do for this game to even be close to acceptable.