Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea why they still have 2014 as a release date?

redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175

I'm sure it's still possible that in the next 5 1/2 months EQ Next could explode onto the scene but, I find it very odd that they haven't released anything to wet our appetites. Sony came out initially with lots of material, then after a huge push they kind of shrunk into the shadows and started posting weak developer video's like a KickStarter program would do. I don't see why the hype level of this game is so high when it barely exist in the limelight.

Comments

• siicAdelicsiicAdelic Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by redbug

I'm sure it's still possible that in the next 5 1/2 months EQ Next could explode onto the scene but, I find it very odd that they haven't released anything to wet our appetites. Sony came out initially with lots of material, then after a huge push they kind of shrunk into the shadows and started posting weak developer video's like a KickStarter program would do. I don't see why the hype level of this game is so high when it barely exist in the limelight.

Ummm what the heck do ya think landmark is?  Its basically to wet our whistles for next..

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

SOE Live is soon Aug 14, 2014  https://www.soe.com/soelive/

Smed already commented in Jan 2014 that EQNext is likely in 2015

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/?limit=500

What does the Long Term release look like for EQN? Will it be around the end of this year, or does it look more like late next year?

j_smedley:
    not sure yet. Likely sometime next year.

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I played landmark, not sure that qualifies as media coverage. Building voxels for the developers and such is fun for mine crafters and whatnot but personally I would love to see some gameplay videos that involve something other than building crap. Hammering on rocks and cutting down trees is fine for some but I think they could do a bit more on the marketing side.
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/?limit=500

What does the Long Term release look like for EQN? Will it be around the end of this year, or does it look more like late next year?

j_smedley:

Ah ok. Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Chance of EQN launching this year about as good as the chance of Brazil winning the world cup. The hype is high because Smedley is a hell of a sales guy, your average gamer has not caught on to the fact that they are being sold empty promises.

That's kind of what it looks like to me as well.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    2016 would be my earliest guess based on their current progress.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kyleran

i agree

i think public beta will be in 2015 but the release will be 2016

I'm basing my guess on the timeline shifts for Landmark features

SOE has been transparent about whats coming to landmark

but some things have been delayed, like Death and Combat

original Landmark feature timeline

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/412074/Landmark-features-May-through-August.html

revised to

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/415866/Landmark-feature-timeline-June-to-SOE-Live.html

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by redbug

I don't see why the hype level of this game is so high when it barely exist in the limelight.

For me it is because nothing out or coming out has anything near what EQN is shooting for. Could literally just be hype and the game could just be another meh who cares experience, but on paper and what they've shown/said is more exciting then the competition. This is of course assuming you are looking for a game with features that they are hyping. Many other games look good but almost all of them are going the niche market and aiming for a smaller population of gamers. I enjoy the wider audience games myself at this stage of my gaming life.

With such little info, SOE has done a pretty decent job of keeping people wanting more. They hopefully do release quite a bit more next month, but between Landmark and all the work they are putting into it and the smaller amount of details/discussion about EQN itself, I have had plenty to keep be waiting patiently.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Nadia

j_smedley:

I wouldn't put too much faith into that 2015 date..  Smed is like that waitress at the busy restaurant that tells you 20 minutes, when you know damn well it will be closer to an hour.. She just doesn't want to be honest and have you leave to another location.. LOL 

Originally posted by Kyleran

My guess too.. I would be shocked if it was released prior to 2016, and not early 2016 either.. I think EQN is at least 2+ years away.. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Chance of EQN launching this year about as good as the chance of Brazil winning the world cup. The hype is high because Smedley is a hell of a sales guy, your average gamer has not caught on to the fact that they are being sold empty promises.

Until Landmark, I had no idea why the hate for Smed was so high. I play Planetside 2. It was everything they said it would be and more imo. So I bought EQN:L... Now known as L...

The crazy/amazing shit they said you could do in game was all lies. The original road map read as if these things would be in shortly after March. Here it is going into august and all they've added is a fully function cash shop wtf? Every time a major feature is to release they move it back and claim it's just around the corner, maybe next month. 

The marketing of L is the biggest scam I have ever encountered in my years of online game. I've went from a fan of SOE to a skeptic of all future products, and I now know what people mean when they say Smedly is a liar.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by bcbully

Until Landmark, I had no idea why the hate for Smed was so high. I play Planetside 2. It was everything they said it would be and more imo. So I bought EQN:L... Now known as L...

The crazy/amazing shit they said you could do in game was all lies. The original road map read as if these things would be in shortly after March. Here it is going into august and all they've added is a fully function cash shop wtf? Every time a major feature is to release they move it back and claim it's just around the corner, maybe next month. 

The marketing of L is the biggest scam I have ever encountered in my years of online game. I've went from a fan of SOE to a skeptic of all future products, and I now know what people mean when they say Smedly is a liar.

Could always go back to Age of Wushu

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

What part of the words "Alpha" or "Beta" don't you understand?  Until the game officially launches, you can't claim it's a "scam" just because proposed features aren't in the game' early beta build.  They got the creation tools into the player's hands so they could start creating assets that might make it into EQN.  Landmark will probably have most, or all, of the features that they promised it will have at launch, but right now it's just an early beta build with world building tools so they could have time to get player-made assets in EQN at launch.

Also, welcome to the game development process.  Projected dates for finishing features frequently get pushed back when unforeseen issues arise, and some things speed up as pieces fall into place better than you had anticipated.

Developing a game isn't some exact science or math formula.  Some ideas sound great in concept, and then once they're in the game they just don't work.  Some systems sound easy to program, and then implementing them causes problems you never even thought of.

It's not like they're maliciously going out of their way to push back updates.  Grow up please.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by Gallus85
     Grow up please.

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an MMO kid
    they got a million things in EQNext that I can play with...

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an MMO kid
    they got the best Free-to-Play, it'll really flip your lid...

From Rallying Calls to Emergent AI to Destructibility
    it's the biggest MMO there is (gee whiz!)...

I don't wanna grow up, cause maybe if I did
    I couldn't be an MMO kid...

more games, more toys, oh boy!

I wanna be an MMO kid!

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

So basically you assumed too much and got disappointed? They have been very honest and up front from actually updating the road map/blue print, dev posts, and numerous live streams. From where I see it, everything they said you could do before the Alpha was released was and is in game. Several things on the to-do list have been added and overall everything continues to improve. The major things are on their way, hopefully SOE Live sees a lot of it released or at least detailed further. It is a process and unless you specifically were lied to "Come participate in PVP in Landmark today!" it isn't a scam.

"All they've added is a cash shop", guess Caves aka Tiers aka huge part of EQN don't count, water, biomes, improved tools that continue to do so, props galore, Work Shop, yadda yadda don't count.

As far as Smedley and SOE, guess you missed 1999-2014 (EQ, EQ2, SWG). PS2 record is what I'm hoping EQN can follow, Landmark seems to be right there.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Foobarx
    Originally posted by Gallus85
     Grow up please.

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an MMO kid
    they got a million things in EQNext that I can play with...

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an MMO kid
    they got the best Free-to-Play, it'll really flip your lid...

From Rallying Calls to Emergent AI to Destructibility
    it's the biggest MMO there is (gee whiz!)...

I don't wanna grow up, cause maybe if I did
    I couldn't be an MMO kid...

more games, more toys, oh boy!

I wanna be an MMO kid!

Lol.  Right on.  However, most people on these forums probably aren't old enough to remember those old Toys-R-Us commercials.  Your song will be lost on most of them, but I appreciated it lol.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL