Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall back in the top rankings on mmorpg.com

marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Under "Top Voted Games | Released"

As it should be for the excellent patches this year.

Good to see the population growing and more good patches coming in the near future.

Now give us more houses and/or implement some of the small clan ideas :)

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by marcust

Good to see the population growing and more good patches coming in the near future.

You do know being top voted means absolutely nothing DF was top voted several times and still only has a max 5k player base

• JonMassJonMass Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by winter

You do know being top voted means absolutely nothing DF was top voted several times and still only has a max 5k player base

It means a whole lot to us... since it's the community that's put us there... and if being on the home-page exposes us to any players that have never heard of us before, then all the better ;)

Also, your 5k "guesstimate" is way low ;P

Darkfall Developer

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Well deserved. Very fun underrated pvp game. Been playing since launch and the game and developers have made huge improvements.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Having the "community" vote your tiny game into the top rankings on MMORPG.COM is the cheapest form of advertising any game can get. If it happens to bring the game to the attention of a few extra players, that is great for the game, and saves a bundle of advertising cash (if you had any to spend in the first place).

These "voting" outcomes have been known to be manipulated in the past though.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I've been interested in trying this game out however missed the steam sale, so I suppose will give it some more time and hopefully get another sale at some point.  Glad to see the game is picking up speed though.
  • BonebladeBoneblade Member Posts: 4

"Originally posted by Cramit845
    I've been interested in trying this game out however missed the steam sale, so I suppose will give it some more time and hopefully get another sale at some point.  Glad to see the game is picking up speed though."

If you are interested in trying the game and don't feel like waiting for a steam sale, AV has implemented a free to play trial system using Buddy Keys. This can grant new players 2 free weeks of access to try out the game. Reply here if you are still interested and I'll shoot you a buddy key in PM.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

Now that's great that the games population may be increasing but pretending being rated on a site like mmorpg is something to be proud of is kind of a stretch. As a poster already mentioned it's fairly easy to manipulate game ratings on sites like this. If you have 5k votes it wouldn't be that hard to get 20, 30 or 50 people from the game to create new accounts and manipulate the numbers. I would have to guess the chances of this being the case here are pretty good.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I must say, AV has finally started doing a good job...the game is at an all time high, population is great, it's a blast.   Two months ago I was the biggest hater of AV ever...still salty towards them...but they are doing a good job.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by winter

Under "Top Voted Games | Released"   As it should be for the excellent patches this year. Good to see the population growing and more good patches coming in the near future.   Now give us more houses and/or implement some of the small clan ideas :)

Popular isn't directly correlative with quality or rating. In fact, with most things in life it's often the opposite.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Really? I could of sworn there were like 6 or 7 games above it when I looked earlier today.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Really? I could of sworn there were like 6 or 7 games above it when I looked earlier today.

Read the dam title properly, "back IN THE top rankings" not "back TO THE top ranking". Sheez.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Butch808
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Read the dam title properly, "back IN THE top rankings" not "back TO THE top ranking". Sheez.

Mmm. If you say so heheh.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161

This game made a 180 degree turn.  It completely deserves getting back to top ranking.

Dev talking, taking feedback and implementing it next day as hot patch! 

A big change like custom role was done in record time. 

The economy/harvesting patch all of a sudden making all mob spawn busy. 

People are coming back and actually staying this time.

I hope they can keep it up because the MMO industry needs a different game otherwise there will be no innovation.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by mmoesports

This game made a 180 degree turn.  It completely deserves getting back to top ranking.

Dev talking, taking feedback and implementing it next day as hot patch! 

A big change like custom role was done in record time. 

The economy/harvesting patch all of a sudden making all mob spawn busy. 

People are coming back and actually staying this time.

I hope they can keep it up because the MMO industry needs a different game otherwise there will be no innovation.

I have a friend in the Navy who cant stop playing and he says the same thing, the game has just completely turned around in terms of developer interaction and content. 

I might have to get it back this weekend...

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

Lol, I didnt know there is even "released" tab in top voted games.

Btw, who is actually voting for them? I dont see button or anything.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by zzax

Lol, I didnt know there is even "released" tab in top voted games.

Btw, who is actually voting for them? I dont see button or anything.

Under "Reviews" in the games main page. So click the darkfall Icon above you and go to the last tab that says reviews.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

the buddy key was enough time for me to decide that it still wasn't for me.

yeah the game improved a bit and has a slightly noob friendlier approach now, but there's too many  "nope" factors for me to subscribe and become devoted to it.

after all thinking and deliberation it basically came down to: "there's a way too many other modern MMORPG with much more interesting GAMEPLAY than DarkFall" and it's the gameplay itself that was a huge concern for me. The actual leveling and to some extent even PVPing is too orchestrated, predictable and grindy, with very little alternatives unlike in games like Eve or even Mortal Online, both of which have come such a long way as well.

I've recently tried mortal online as well after they sent me a message saying they released a new engine and even the game that I couldn't stand in terms of gameplay when it was released, was way more fun now than Darkfall. Heck, the graphics, the atmosphere and various awesome skills available to you to choose between and specialize are so much more interesting in MO than in DF.

Then you have Eve, a game where you can literally do a million things and become the best at a specific niche if you put your mind to it.

Darkfall is just way too simple for a modern MMO in my opinion and despite its relative uniquess, just didnt have the fun factors needed for me personally to enjoy it.

Also the bow mechanics, sounds and the way projectiles behaved are really crappy I think and since bow has become a necessity in DF, it was yet another reason why I had to walk away from this one.

PS the best bow mechanics I've ever experienced in an MMO were in Asheron's Call, with incredible projectile mechanics, great bow string drawing sound effects. Not many games were able to re-recreate than since. 

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by lalartu

yeah the game improved a bit and has a slightly noob friendlier approach now, but there's too many  "nope" factors for me to subscribe and become devoted to it.

after all thinking and deliberation it basically came down to: "there's a way too many other modern MMORPG with much more interesting GAMEPLAY than DarkFall" and it's the gameplay itself that was a huge concern for me. The actual leveling and to some extent even PVPing is too orchestrated, predictable and grindy, with very little alternatives unlike in games like Eve or even Mortal Online, both of which have come such a long way as well.

I've recently tried mortal online as well after they sent me a message saying they released a new engine and even the game that I couldn't stand in terms of gameplay when it was released, was way more fun now than Darkfall. Heck, the graphics, the atmosphere and various awesome skills available to you to choose between and specialize are so much more interesting in MO than in DF.

Then you have Eve, a game where you can literally do a million things and become the best at a specific niche if you put your mind to it.

Darkfall is just way too simple for a modern MMO in my opinion and despite its relative uniquess, just didnt have the fun factors needed for me personally to enjoy it.

Also the bow mechanics, sounds and the way projectiles behaved are really crappy I think and since bow has become a necessity in DF, it was yet another reason why I had to walk away from this one.

PS the best bow mechanics I've ever experienced in an MMO were in Asheron's Call, with incredible projectile mechanics, great bow string drawing sound effects. Not many games were able to re-recreate than since. 

Well, taste is ofc different and not everyone can see the possibilities, yo ucan become a master trader, monster hunter or PvPer in your field. Leading and alliance and leading players to war isnt easy at all and playing the economy game and other non PvE oriented roles is pretty important. However you are currently right that the solo content is abit limited.

However if DF has 8+ of development time like EVE it will also look different. For example will we see a siege engine patch which add another level of warfare to the "endgame". With this patch we will see first steps into aligment and maybe quests which creates solo content or small guild content. Bu for now iam bussy helping  a war going on.

i absolutely disagree with the projectile thing on arrows as that is one of the best ever seen. Pure FPS feeling and the projectiles stay fluent even in battles involving hundreds in one area. Compared to that MO for example doesnt even have projectiles

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Having the "community" vote your tiny game into the top rankings on MMORPG.COM is the cheapest form of advertising any game can get. If it happens to bring the game to the attention of a few extra players, that is great for the game, and saves a bundle of advertising cash (if you had any to spend in the first place).

These "voting" outcomes have been known to be manipulated in the past though.

If a tiny game has dedicated fans who are willing to volunteer their time to do something like that it actually does say a lot about the community... well... that or they could just be desperate for more noobs to gank...

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by lalartu

When you mention gameplay, I think of controls and the activity of playing.

What you are describing is Content. Eve has a lot of "content" if you enjoy watching your ship auto-pilot to warp gates.

Same goes for tab target games. How fun is it really to cycle your spells on a target, and the only thing that declares a miss would be a stat like agility.

Darkfall gameplay, imo, is heads and shoulders above any other MMO on the maket today, imo.

As for needing a bow to play Darkfall, not sure what you mean by that. Maybe you haven't played in a while, and you were a skirmisher prior to the custom roles patch?