Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your other Hobbies?

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I know we are all passionate about gaming in one way or another... I also know coming soon there are going to be plenty of game options to keep us all busy... well at least 30 - 60 days at a time based on most games lifespans nowadays. 

So what else do you enjoy? When your not gaming, or locked in front of your computer.

Me? Well I like a bunch of things, however here in NY with the warm weather coming I enjoy toying around with my classic car.

1976 TR6...

It's a classic 2 seater British car... Can be a real money pit at times but fun as hell to tinker with and drive...

Under the hood... The engine has been modified heavily and has triple Weber carbs that I tuned and rebuilt myself. I also fabricated all of linkages.

I fabricated and installed a custom grill... I hated the original crap that came with the car.

I like this car because it was a new challenge for me... I built and ran a lot of classic camaros, played with my share of Japanese cars like 280zx turbo, Gen II RX7, Late model 240SX... All great cars however I do like this one the best as it is very easy to fabricate parts for it.

Some other crap I did to it was, swapped out the shitty BL 4 speed with a Toyota Supra 5 speed, upgraded the brakes and suspension, custom stereo... and various other things as well as a laundry list on the "to do" list... These cars stock are real shit boxes and need a lot of work to make them reliable and safer.

Aside from that I enjoy some snowboarding, amateur cheffing, some mud runs, and I'm also the President of my condo (talk about the inmates running the asylum!!!)

I figured I would put this together while there is some down time before ESO releases and maybe some other community members would chime in.

So what do you do when you're not gaming?!

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Nice work.  How did you deal with the rust issue?  Those cars are also notorious for rusting out around the wheel wells and at the bottom of the doors.  I had an opportunity to buy one of those cars early in my driving career but I couldn't get it to pass inspection for those reasons (the rust), and you want to talk about heartbroken?!?

As for other hobbies, I write dumb stuff and am deep into freestyle anthropology.  I use both of those skills to make friends and influence people, and then I talk them into playing video games with me ;)

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by jesad

Nice work.  How did you deal with the rust issue?  Those cars are also notorious for rusting out around the wheel wells and at the bottom of the doors.  I had an opportunity to buy one of those cars early in my driving career but I couldn't get it to pass inspection for those reasons (the rust), and you want to talk about heartbroken?!?

As for other hobbies, I write dumb stuff and am deep into freestyle anthropology.  I use both of those skills to make friends and influence people, and then I talk them into playing video games with me ;)

The car has little bits of rust here and there, but for the most part when I purchased it, it was pretty clean... On the spots that there are problem I use a product called Osphos which is a rust converter...

I like keeping the thing a little ratty... I don't need it to be a trailer queen... I drive it all the time (weather permitting) and I drive it pretty hard so dings and shit like that are going to happen.

• kokoshkakokoshka Member Posts: 7
    Stay at home, watching TV ( movies, football). 

http://furg.net - Free online games!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Don't really have any other hobby's besided gaming.

I like books, but they are not a hobby to mine, love going out with friends or having them over at home or at their homes again not a hobby. Love sports watching/participating but not as deep to consider it a hobby.

So in sort I have plenty of other activities just not fitting into the categorie of hobby.

Can definitely appreciate your (OP) other hobby with you car. Nice work.

Which is what I think is a hobby when you put a considerable amount of time/money on something you enjoy.  

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I play Magic the Gathering and Warhammer 40K.

I also quilt and play airsoft.

I am a much better quilter than a miniatures painter..... 

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Hi OP, I see you like modifying cars.

I was wondering.

My 2005 Dodge Dakota has rear drum brakes and the 2004 model has rear disk brakes. They both use the same Hotchkiss rear end. I was going to take an axle from a 2004 model using the same type of differential and put it into my 2005 model to get disk brakes. However the 2004 uses 6 bolts for the wheel and the 2005 uses 5 bolts for the wheel. I was wondering if using a 6 bolt to 5 bolt adapter is a good idea?

Originally posted by Cleffy

Hi OP, I see you like modifying cars.

I was wondering.

My 2005 Dodge Dakota has rear drum brakes and the 2004 model has rear disk brakes. They both use the same Hotchkiss rear end. I was going to take an axle from a 2004 model using the same type of differential and put it into my 2005 model to get disk brakes. However the 2004 uses 6 bolts for the wheel and the 2005 uses 5 bolts for the wheel. I was wondering if using a 6 bolt to 5 bolt adapter is a good idea?

That would certainly be the low cost way to go provided you are using all scrapyard or ebay parts. I do caution against using wheel adapters as tend to put a lot of stress on the axle.

If you have some scratch laying around you may consider a proper kit...

Something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-bk1408-x/overview/make/dodge/model/dakota

There are also several search results for Dakota drum to disk conversions. Sadly I don't have much experience enough with them to advise further.

Originally posted by Sunscour

I play Magic the Gathering and Warhammer 40K.

I also quilt and play airsoft.

I am a much better quilter than a miniatures painter..... 

That is certainly one extreme to another!

I too am into airsoft, I used to play a lot of paintball but that was 15+ years ago... I currently have a Systema M4A1 airsoft gun, this thing kicks ass!

• chartinchartin Member UncommonPosts: 16
    playing i cant talk about it, and Football!

looking forward to gw2 actually..

• harihayabusaharihayabusa Member Posts: 19
    love to watch movies, read books, watch sports especially basketball and UFC. I also love to read articles in the net and watch on youtube.
    Originally posted by harihayabusa
    love to watch movies, read books, watch sports especially basketball and UFC. I also love to read articles in the net and watch on youtube.

UFC is awesome! Been some really good fights lately.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I build gunpla, ride my motorcycle and do calligraphy.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• withouthardwithouthard Member Posts: 10
    Oh, u r a genius! I always sleeping or cooking while not playing games, since i want to have more energy to continue playing.

I recently blacked out all my chrome and painted the wheels. I did this all with Plastidip which is pretty cool because it is removable.

Thats also my Saab TurboX next to the TR.

Shot from the back

• thecoolestthecoolest Member Posts: 31

^ very awesome!

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Hmm, perhaps we can say, watching lots of anime is a hobbie for me, besides gaming.
  • thecoolestthecoolest Member Posts: 31
    My hobbies besides gaming ofc, SLEEP, EAT , read Manga and Watch Animes. Also i love to watch Game of thrones and Walking dead. 
  • cocoakoko27cocoakoko27 Member Posts: 5

I'm playing Mage Knight when I'm not in front of my computer or console

Characters from Mage Knight are like from MMORPGs but it's a board game

reminds me of Rohan, Dragon Nest and Ragnarok