Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Singleplayer Games That Could Be MMOs

Comments

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

Mass Effect and Dune get my vote:) I hope they keep trying until another MMO hits that sweet spot. You would think they will come full circle, and make something like the old mmo's, but with some of the new tweaks.

I know the new mmo's are making money but they have to be seeing that these new ones will have no real lifespan to them. It's a flooded market, but one good mmo will shatter the whole scene again, just waiting for a company to put back a soul into one.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Legacy of Kain would make a really cool MMO... and no, the mediocre MOBA doesn't count as one.

Never been a fan of Dune, but I can agree that it would be interesting to see what a clever and talented developer could come up with.

Mass Effect died with complete and utter balls-up that was the story of Mass Effect 3. Maybe if it were placed back into Karpyshyn's capable hands, and the contrived bullshit some hellishly underqualified 'writers' spewed forth in an attempt at fiction meant for people over the age of five as the story of ME3 was retconned into nonexistence, it would be worth a look.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AngryCujoAngryCujo Member Posts: 22
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by DMKano
    With many recent MMOs playing like single player games already, what would be the point?

This was my thought. MMORPGs need to break away from Single player. We can't all be the Dovahkiin.

• brEEziexbrEEziex Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Another single player game need not be ruined!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Infamous is an amazing franchise that can easil get ruined by making an mmo out of it. Prototype is another game like it. Those games arent meant to be mmos. Infamous (and even prototype) could work marvelously as a coop game like Saints Row. Not an mmo.

As much as id love to see a Mass Effect mmo, with the current states of mmos i hope nobody considers making one so they dont ruin it.

Im indiferent about Fallout. I have only played Fallout 3 and it was awful IMO. But i do think Zenimax should have used it as the test bed for mmos instead of the TES ip, and then make a TES mmo when they get better at it.

Pokemon can be a nice casual mmo to break free from all the generic endgame pursuing mmos we have. And Halo, whatever, just another shooter.

• Sparr1Sparr1 Member Posts: 9

Aliens could do it with all the stuff past and future

• Sparr1Sparr1 Member Posts: 9
     Aliens ->Like the movie series ,sorry first time post here
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Ironically I'd still put KOTOR and TES on there...
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Divinity Original Sin should be on there imo.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

Halflife...  It's a loreheavy game.  I could see it work. I just dont think Valve will invest in an MMO. It's a big gamble.  The gameplay would probably have to be altered heavily,  definedtly if the trinity style MMO was their target. The world and the lore is huge though,  and that's a great place to start.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Both mentioned MMO'S rather failed hard ESO(will never get succes of TES games specially SKYRIM) and SWTOR.

Only Fallout maybe but i say it's dumb to transform good solo games into MMO'S most failing and ruined the solo games.

In case of TES we must see if it hurts solo series but if that happens then Bethesda is to blaim and fully responsible not zenimax.

SWTOR solo games(couple of million sold?) i don't care that it fail as a mmo, it's not in same league as Elder Scrolls games(24million copy's sold).

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Divinity Original Sin should be on there imo.

Funny i see you register 2004 and almost 2500 post almost same as me hehe.

I doub Larian studio's will transform D:OS into a mmo that will never happen, unless a big publisher buy them out and don't give a damn about game should be or not there only concern is money.

Would be bad transform it into MMO for many reason, and should be clear why it's bad idea if you have follow the game market last 10 years.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Do whatever you want with the above games, just leave Halo out of this!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• maccajnrmaccajnr Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Why not Solitaire in this list? This would be a great mmo
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Well by todays standards, it seems any game that is online in which you can see other players running around playing the game is an MMO. So it wouldnt be hard to make them "MMO's" Some already have online features, just slap a sub cost on it and there you go. You have an MMO.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

mmoRPG.com losing its own game ... how sad ...

When did you start talking in terms of MMO and lost focus of the MMORPG ??? Yes all the games would make great MMOs. Just not one of them would make a good MMORPG...

Plenty of options for MMOFPS, MMORTS etc ...

A good MMORPG needs a living world. Each of the mentioned games does not work when you take the main protagonist out of it. It has too little self-sustainability.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I don't care what anyone says Pokemon breaths mmo to me.  It's a title that's been around for what 10 years now?  And, what do they keep doing?  Adding new areas with new mobs (how is that any different from an MMO?).  I mean especially with things they introduced like tag team battles and all that it just keeps becoming more social and eventually I feel we may get one.  The only thing I see preventing it is nintendo's/game freaks story lines are all very 1 character focused which would need to change.  It would need to become more of a general catch them all and be the best instead of stop some evil guy imo.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Nintendo should be releasing a Legend of Zelda MMO.  There is plenty of world/story/characters/items, all the assets are sitting there waiting for the usage.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87

Been playing a lot of Dark Souls lately and thought it they could implement it's concept and adapt it to fit a MMO it would make an awesome game.

I loved Dune since I was a kid, read the books, saw the movies and played the game. It also would be an incredible MMO if done right.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I know its not a game, but the MMO I am waiting for is Wheel of Time. I dont care how much fun Im having in my current MMO. I would drop it in a heart beat to play in that game space. 

I loved the books but never thought it would make a good mmo world. The story is pretty hard line like LotR was and it has issues like no male casters or at least not for long :) I'm sure in the right hands it could be done well I just don't see how you could ever really feel like part of that story.

They would have to make a mmo not based on the story per say but on the actual world which is quite rich and detailed.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I will not comment on infamous or pokemon. However, the rest probably would not make great MMO's. I personally would rather have any of those other 3 mentioned as co-op (up to 6 people) playable rather then typical MMO fare. I look at how the did SWTOR or even TESO and think that the experience of exploring and questing and doing mission in any of those games is ruined by having dozens of other groups running around doing the same thing. I would rather just do those things and only see my friends and I. Don't get me wrong, I Mass Effect MMO done in such a way that you rarely run into other players doing the same exact quest as you and allowing my friends to say crew the ship would be great. But having 100's of "vault dwellers" coming out of their vaults at the same time and questing in a "starter area"...no thanks.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• vSaxonvSaxon Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Pokemon mmo is a "MUST"
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Fallout and Mass Effect have a rich world, which every MMORPG needs in order to stand, and the could become also without changing the core gameplay but adding. Sadly for both  occasions from the same developers we had similar products ESO and SWtOR, which both were bad executed maybe because they were too rushed and didn't had a proper beta ...

about Pokemon i dunno why it's not an MMORPG still and instead we get Lego and other stupid games ...

yes i agree with some response about DUNE, it's still in pop culture also the RTS game was one of the first which shaped the whole genre !!! i would like to see something similar for the MMORPG genre from DUNE or Isaak Asimov's space operas ...

• SuilebhainSuilebhain Member UncommonPosts: 57

We need MORE MMOs! Why?

Sooner or later people will come to rest in the one that suits them, in which they feel the greatest level of ownership. Think of how many people return to WOW when they feel bored in whatever new game they latch on to at release. What it really means is that they should never have left WOW in the first place. 

However, there is a residue that goes into a game and remains there because that is the setting that they enjoy. Call them theme parks if you will, but if they are well-constructed and well-managed, then what harm in being a theme park? SWTOR will never live up to SWG but that doesn't mean that it cannot be a continual good time for someone who enjoys Star Wars or science fantasy where you actually get to leave your ship (unlike EVE). Age of Conan could have been a great game but it was poorly managed and released with only have of the features completed, yet it still has a player base.

How can one "ruin" an IP with a poor implementation of an MMO? Can't happen! Two different experiences, independent of one another. If I play Fallout 3, and then am somehow unhappy with Fallout Online, how does that ruin Fallout 3?

Someone above stated the real problem - the current player base is largely made up of space-bar hitting non-readers who only want to team up for a single mission then break group before you even have a chance to say "good job!" That in of itself is sufficient (for me) to ruin the multiplayer experience of any IP, and there is little the game designers can do unless they make certain portions so hard that they require multiple players while at the same time making the AI of the encounters such that typical WOW-type raid strategies fail ("All healers on me while you stand behind it and hit with interrupts, blah blah blah")., or make open PVP the rule rather than the exception with no levels showing but with benefits from teaming, like some of the group buffs SWTOR put into play to encourage teams.

Anyway, my $.02. Remember, no game will ever be the WoWkiller just like no new restaurant will ever take away business from MacDonald's, but if fat, salt & flour don't get it done for you, there should always be other options.