Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Singleplayer Games That Could Be MMOs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As has become customary here at MMORPG, this week’s list is the reverse of last week’s! Previously, we covered five MMOs that we think could be turned into great singleplayer games. Now, we want to look at five singleplayer games that could be turned into great MMOs. With the extreme level variety the genre we know and love experiences in today’s industry, there is plenty of room for new concepts. In fact, several of the games on this list already have MMO-esque counterparts on the market in the form of different IPs. 

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 Single Player Games that Could be MMOs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Fallout mmo just must have. 

mass effect effect would be better then Star wars imo, its less childish.

cant comment others, not played them.

• pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    my question "Do we need them?" 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Fallout mmo just must have. 

mass effect effect would be better then Star wars imo, its less childish.

cant comment others, not played them.

Gotta agree. A Fallout would make it huge imho, but then again many things that should have been big have hit the fan. So, it's not so much the game title that matters, it's the team that puts it together. ie ESO should have been better in regards to it's IP. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    We have too many MMOs as it is.  We dont need anymore.  
    Originally posted by pookir
    my question "Do we need them?" 

Do we need more movies or reality tv? No we don't, but we all love entertainment in the short amount of time we are on earth!  Plus, the more to choose from the better! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• nornagestnornagest Member Posts: 1
    mmorpg is dead no innovation for last 5 years.
    Originally posted by nornagest
    mmorpg is dead no innovation for last 5 years.

I think you are confusing innovation with entertainment. It's a million dollar industry and people love playing them. Lack of change doesn't mean something is dead. 

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I would definitely play a Fallout or Mass Effect MMO.  It's funny that you mention Planetside 2 when talking about Halo.  My friends all know that I'm CONSTANTLY alpha/beta testing.  Any time a friend first sees me playing Planetside 2, they ask if I'm testing a new Halo.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Pokemon MMO I would be down for, the rest not soo much just add ,multiplayer to them.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

hmm id say Borderlands2- but we have WS now.

=)

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

If someone asked me couple of years ago, would I like to play Fallout MMORPG or Mass Effect MMORPG, I would say "YES" immediately.

Now, not so much. I don't want thousands of people running around me, without any meaningful interaction. I don't want to grind repetitive quest  just to reach level cap and then switch to grind something else (raids, battlegrounds or whatever).

I think the future is in co-op multiplayer games, where you can experience the story uninterrupted, but can play together with your friends as well. Then join some quick PvP matches either small scale of massive, it doesn't matter. Maybe something like original Guild Wars?

• LudoValiseekLudoValiseek Member UncommonPosts: 11

You forgot "Vampire: The masquerade Bloodlines" on that list. It is a great single player game and there was a mmorpg meant to be after it that became only vaporware thanks to CCP GAMES chaotic and erratic amateur management...but they will pay this soon.

Someone needs to carry on "World of Darkness" since it would be fresh air in the mmo sandbox space and a big success among fans and hardcore players.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by LudoValiseek

You forgot "Vampire: The masquerade Bloodlines" on that list.

Just. No. Bloodlines is an awesome game, and it would only suffer with a lame mmo-fication. Maybe a few years ago, perhaps... but not today with the story-less, spacebar junkie no-readers as the majority... Bloodlines was all about story and decisions and the different ways you can choose, and not just mindless action like present games.

I wouldn't even support a remake, with the dumbification of the singleplayer genre alongside mmos (just look at ME3, it's not even an rpg just a weak shooter with cutscenes). Nope, hands off of VtM: Bloodlines :)

As for the other games on the list, or the list itself, I agree with pookir and Kano

Originally posted by DMKano
    With many recent MMOs playing like single player games already, what would be the point?
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by DeniZg

If someone asked me couple of years ago, would I like to play Fallout MMORPG or Mass Effect MMORPG, I would say "YES" immediately.

Now, not so much. I don't want thousands of people running around me, without any meaningful interaction. I don't want to grind repetitive quest  just to reach level cap and then switch to grind something else (raids, battlegrounds or whatever).

I think the future is in co-op multiplayer games, where you can experience the story uninterrupted, but can play together with your friends as well. Then join some quick PvP matches either small scale of massive, it doesn't matter. Maybe something like original Guild Wars?

Man i agree, the way they are making mmo's now would ruin a great singleplayer game. Look at ESO now. Zenimax would ruin a fallout mmo.

• ravencultravencult Member UncommonPosts: 17

Where's the  witcher?

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

Please, for the love of everything that is sacred in the world of games. Not another MMORPG based on a single player game.

-----

We have already been led astray into the darkest bowels of unbearably bad MMORPGs with the MMO-fication of the Elder Scrolls Series.

----

Spare us, please!

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Dragon Age is another game I'd add to the list.

The problem is that I think "MMO-ization" tends to ruin SP games (WoW being a notable exception to this pattern).

I'd rather see Mass Effect, for example, continue as an SPRPG but with more and more (optional) co-op content added into it.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    You forgot the most obvious one....Skyrim
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if mass effect wasnt top i'd have called BS :)

might i add "dont starve" to the list as a neat setting for multiplayer sandbox MMO.  PVE, but the E *really* wants to kill you.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by rodarin
    You forgot the most obvious one....Skyrim

I see what you did there image

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Are we talking theme park mass multiplayer online or sandbox mmorpg's with these 5 titles?

Honestly, we don't need anymore theme park mmo games.

Just bring us a good sandbox mmorpg and call it

• possessed1possessed1 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Fallen Earth is pretty close to Fallout.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    What about Call of Juarez or Red Dead Redemption? A lot of people are really looking forward to a western mmo.
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Mass Effect deserves to be on the top of the list, but it has to play like Mass Effect; otherwise, I wouldn't really be interested in it.  I mean, AS interested in it.  I would seriously question the vision behind any decision that involved either telegraphs or tab targeting.

Zork, Castlevania, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma, Dishonored, Deus Ex, Might & Magic

Of those on the list, I think Pokemon has some serious potential. I wouldn't play it but it has potential.  I don't think the other games really have the depth to them.

My personal choice would be a 3 faction take on Valkyrie Profile where characters were einherjar devoted to one of the three Valkyries.  There's enough of a spirit of both competition and cooperation amongst the Valkyries there that it wouldn't feel as silly as standing next to Dominion player because a bunny is getting married.  And, Norse mythology, cool magic, great characters, neat environments.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

Are we talking theme park mass multiplayer online or sandbox mmorpg's with these 5 titles?

Honestly, we don't need anymore theme park mmo games.

Just bring us a good sandbox mmorpg and call it

This guy is on to something. They did make those Dune strategy games, didn't they?