Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any existing MMOs that fit the bill?

BasicgearBasicgear Member UncommonPosts: 43

I am looking to play an MMO and looking for suggestions, I want one that has challenging PVE. I've been playing Project 1999 lately and it made it real clear why I enjoyed the original EQ so much - the game is hard. Call it grinding if you'd like, but the fact that it took a longer time to kill one mob in EQ meant there were more calculated decisions in every fight, not just a romp stomp. Plus the time allowed for more social behaviors like chatting with strangers.

So in short:

- I want an MMO with challenging combat in PvE where I shouldn't be able to solo everything.

- Also quest hubs suck. I remember playing EQ2 for the first time and having a quest log so full I didn't know where to begin.

- Tradeskills are a plus, fun for a little downtime from the grind. (Dransik, later called Ashen Empires did tradeskills so well. Wish that game would make a sequel)

Excluded MMOs (Ive played these, they don't fit the bill):

WoW, Wildstar, ESO, Rift, GW, GW2, Leniage, EQ2, FinalFantasy

Thanks,

Basic

Comments

• BJC289BJC289 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Basicgear

I am looking to play an MMO and looking for suggestions, I want one that has challenging PVE. I've been playing Project 1999 lately and it made it real clear why I enjoyed the original EQ so much - the game is hard. Call it grinding if you'd like, but the fact that it took a longer time to kill one mob in EQ meant there were more calculated decisions in every fight, not just a romp stomp. Plus the time allowed for more social behaviors like chatting with strangers.

So in short:

- I want an MMO with challenging combat in PvE where I shouldn't be able to solo everything.

- Also quest hubs suck. I remember playing EQ2 for the first time and having a quest log so full I didn't know where to begin.

- Tradeskills are a plus, fun for a little downtime from the grind. (Dransik, later called Ashen Empires did tradeskills so well. Wish that game would make a sequel)

Excluded MMOs (Ive played these, they don't fit the bill):

WoW, Wildstar, ESO, Rift, GW, GW2, Leniage, EQ2, FinalFantasy

Thanks,

Basic

Use google to find what you are looking for.

If you are going to single out most popular MMO's, you are either going to have wait for someone who can't afford P2P to suggest you a F2P that Mighhtt fit your bill ..

or 

Wait for someone to somehow know about a secret gem that no one knows about. 

I personally don't know how much time you have on your hands.

But if you already got to the end of FFXIV: ARR then ESO, then Wildstar...it would seem that you are just out-playing your games and are burning out hard.. those three games have all been released within the last 9-10 months...

You're probably going to have to face it...the mmo you are most likely looking for is either dying because most people don't like "Hardcore" or had it's glory days before the mmo Era has shifted into the age of Carebear- or rather..A game most suited to casual players-

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Pretty much anything by perfect world would meet your long battles and grinder leveling needs. Or for that matter any of those F2P nightmares you see endlessly advertised on this site.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Seems like you already found what you were looking for, just be careful to mentioning it on this forum as it is against the rules (regardless of legality)

• SetEssentialSetEssential Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Pretty much anything by perfect world would meet your long battles and grinder leveling needs. Or for that matter any of those F2P nightmares you see endlessly advertised on this site.

Yes Perfect Worlds flagship game PWI could meet his battle and grind needs.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Some game have a bit of challenge in the endgame, or even some hard parts there but there is nothing new out there at the level of EQ, M59 and AC anymore. A few old games still up and running.

The hard MMOs that still are made are all PvP focused.

Then again, singleplayer games have also become a lot easier the last 15 years.

Either you have to play one of the old games still up and running (and expect it to be pretty dumbed down) or fund some promising kickstarter project.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Give The Secret World a try.

It has challenging PvE, lots of different ways to build your character and plenty of grinding opportunities later on in the game for those that want to "max out" their character with the augments and such.

It also has a great storyline.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LordArcaneLordArcane Member UncommonPosts: 34
    A bunch of new players are joining Ashen Empires now, aswell as GM's are starting to add more updates into the game. Would be nice seeing more players join, as I am only level 56! :)