Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not an MMO

Comments

• MarkAnd81MarkAnd81 Member Posts: 19
    Honestly, I would be happy with just a Warhammer skinned Planetside 2, which is what the game sounds like. If they deliver on that, and improve the RPG elements, the game will sell like hotcakes.
  • OrkGrimskullOrkGrimskull Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by MarkAnd81
    Honestly, I would be happy with just a Warhammer skinned Planetside 2, which is what the game sounds like. If they deliver on that, and improve the RPG elements, the game will sell like hotcakes.

Heh, not to mention all the money they would make from players purchasing things from the EC in-game store. I think they are already set to make a killing based on the current hype + game format + profit model they plan to use. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Cantorage

Looks like there is no persistent world, just a lobby-based arena shooter, so IMO it shouldn't have a section here.

Unless there's something I'm missing.

Will the world be instanced?

The PvP gameplay of Eternal Crusade takes place primarily an open world, without any instancing. Our PvE game modes take place in instanced dungeons and hives below the surface of the planet, but you get to them by finding them in the open world and entering. There may be further use of instancing in the game, but it should generally be the exception rather than the rule. http://legacy.eternalcrusade.com/faq

Seems MMO enough for me and I truly hope they can make it happen. Just look at most common PVP complaints "Bleh need to do quest to get to PVP" This game seems to turn it around with PVP first and PVE second.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Looks like there is no persistent world, just a lobby-based arena shooter, so IMO it shouldn't have a section here.

Like others have pointed out, it seems you missed a lot.

The devs have claimed at least that it is going to be a fully open and persistent world. If you have played any of the Planetside games you will know what type of world to expect

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by forcelima

You didn't get the memo everything that has a multiplayer feature is called an mmo now, look at all the people that call mobas like LoL and DotA mmos

Bleh.  Sadly, you're 100% correct.

Sadly incorrect...persistence does not equate a world, that's just the most popular version of it but to use a cliche: we are all a world unto ourselves.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Not saying that a game has to have these features to be an MMORPG, but... I am curious about WH40k...

Intro/Starting zones with lore and history?

Character classes and roles?

Personal questlines and class-based/'your story' content?

Quest hubs and area-centric/zone-based storylines?

Player vs NPC?

Player groups vs dungeons (raiding)?

Large sprawling faction cities, bases, etc.,  that are alive... not just buildings/structures that are obstacles for combat?

In game economy?

Crafting?

PvE and PvP?

Can players choose to PvE only?

Mounts?

Custom armor?

Custom player appearances?

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by BlackWatch

Not saying that a game has to have these features to be an MMORPG, but... I am curious about WH40k...

Player vs NPC?

Large sprawling faction cities, bases, etc.,  that are alive... not just buildings/structures that are obstacles for combat?

In game economy?

Crafting?

PvE and PvP?

Mounts?

Custom armor?

it's not a theme park it's more similar to ps2.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Nothing that we have been told by the actual devs would indicate that this game is not a persistent world MMO.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    ofc it's an MMO... not every game come with the RPG  attached to them.  and even though i suck at these kinds of games i'm looking forward to it. WH40K + massive battles! what's not to like?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500

I will just reiterate what some others have said. 

It is an MMO!  

Massive Multiplayer Online

It is not a MMORPG! 

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Yes it seems you are missing a lot. What does MMO actually stand for? Massive Multiplayer Online. Show me where that says persistent world.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

They said in the Twitch stream thats its a massive persistent world.

Here is the steam:

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by BlackWatch

You will be starting on a ship it seems. This private space will be your introduction to the setting and mechanics.

4 playable races with 4-8 classes/roles

Nope. (Thank god.) This is counter the whole idea of an open world MMO.

Nope. (Again. See previous answer.)

Player vs NPC?

Tyranids with be the 5th race used for all PvE action.

Tyranid content seems at least partially to be in dungeouns 

Most likely not.

In game economy?

Unknown

Crafting?

Probably not.

PvE and PvP?

This is the main focus of the game, so yeah.

You might be able to. Unknown at this point. At least in theory it is possible,

Mounts?

Yup

Custom armor?

Yup

Unknown

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Cantorage Looks like there is no persistent world, just a lobby-based arena shooter, so IMO it shouldn't have a section here. Unless there's something I'm missing.
    Will the world be instanced?The PvP gameplay of Eternal Crusade takes place primarily an open world, without any instancing. Our PvE game modes take place in instanced dungeons and hives below the surface of the planet, but you get to them by finding them in the open world and entering. There may be further use of instancing in the game, but it should generally be the exception rather than the rule. http://legacy.eternalcrusade.com/faq Seems MMO enough for me and I truly hope they can make it happen. Just look at most common PVP complaints "Bleh need to do quest to get to PVP" This game seems to turn it around with PVP first and PVE second.   

I think the question got raised as their post gives two answers to the game

PRIMARILY open world .. So it may not all be open and without instancing

There may be further use of instancing in the game

GENERALLY an exception rather than the rule

So it sounds mostly open world in pvp and may get more instances at a later date.

They have wisely made no promises and what you expect may get an about face. I hope it's as much open persistent world as they can squash into the game.

• Far as I can tell, this game is an MMO. It's core seems to be a twitch multiplayer PvP on a massive scale, like Planetside 2 but with a Warhammer 40k theme and main game features feeding off of that. In addition, there's going to be some sort of instanced PvE somewhat similar to regular MMORPG dungeons, for those wanting a break from fighting other players.

• MaspallioMaspallio Member Posts: 2
    The game is supposed to be a presistent world like in planetside. Plus they want to do massive battles. So it definitely is a MMO...
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I know one thing is for sure, if this game is as shallow and only a fragfest like Planetside 2 it will bomb horribly. Hopefully they make a fully fledged mmofpsrpg that is deep in gameplay, meta, player politics, and everything in between.

MurderHerd

• RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66

Well if it's just a PVP fest it will bomb, the PVP market isn't particularly that huge in comparision to PvE. You can write off the casuals, the new gamers (table top fans having a look) and so on and just leave the game to the hardcore PvPers no?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Whether it has a persistent world or not, MMOs don't require one.

Another example of people not knowing what they are talking about.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

its massive..

its multiplayer..

its online..

thus by definition.. an mmo.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • SST_2_0SST_2_0 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by IsilithTehroth
    I know one thing is for sure, if this game is as shallow and only a fragfest like Planetside 2 it will bomb horribly. Hopefully they make a fully fledged mmofpsrpg that is deep in gameplay, meta, player politics, and everything in between.

Oh you don't know how scared I am that this is exactly what is happening.  The first alpha gameplay did not inspire anymore confidence.  Seemed a lot like Planetside 2 where everyone is running towards the same place, knowing there is no consequence other then some self re-chargeable shields.  

Even the way the devs played screamed common shooter.  There was no talking at times, Katy even comments, and why talk if there is no reason for tactical play, that is why people talk.  Such as in Red Orchestra 2, just started playing that game recently and I love the necessary command structure in that game, been in one game where there wasn't a lead and when there is no lead it gets fixed quick, because it is key to have someone coordinating the squads and artillery on a grand scale.

Then the devs would run out into the open and just dance back and forth, cover wasn't for shooting from it was for simply blocking LOS while those damn shields recharge.  And the melee is still SM style slash, slash, dead, slash, slash, dead and jump, slam, jump, slam.

And this is a bit less stressing, but why is all shooting done from the hip unless it has a scope?  I would love to look down the iron sights of a Bolter as a Tactical just once.  

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595
    You are getting confused. It is is an MMO. It is not a MMORPG.

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by timeraider

its massive..

its multiplayer..

its online..

thus by definition.. an mmo.

first M doesn't stand for "Massive". It stands for "Massively".

nice pedantics! keep that post count bursting

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • madgar29madgar29 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    It did not use to be that way. in fact people use to debate is diablo 2 really a MMORPG? and in reality diablo 2 lod online was a mmorpg because it actually had a player based market/economy thats what made it an mmorpg or a MMO, this game is still in alpha and you are questioning its MMO or not is stupid wait for games to come out then judge plz. WE have no idea what they have in store for us on this. faction wars, maybe a planet to fight over with a live map and terrority gains like ww2 online who knows.

anyone you have that not made account yet use this as a referral you will get an extra 4k points for weapons.  EC-XO8JH7ZM4RSPZ
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    I think this should be called the giant fallacy argument thread.