Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom pulled an EA

DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

After all the delays they split Tokyo into 2 episodes - well fine we get charged twice but hey issue 9 was still fun.

The one thing that people were always ranting about in map chat though was:

That was it? I barely spent 4 hours on this addon!

I felt they were right, Tokyo feels empty - not in terms of 'Apocalypse Deserted' but empty about quests. Next to the story missions you have 1 main mission and then just some tiny side missions to go along with. The rest is all about grinding the new AEGIS system which only works in Tokyo itself.

So where are all the quests that could fit into the new zone?

They were released now RIGHT AFTER issue 9 and of course you have to pay again.

The last time I saw greed like that was during the release of ME3 with the day 1 dlc. "Oh this was never meant to be part of the main story it's just bonus stuff" while packet sniffers found the whole "dlc" within the real game and it could be unlocked by manipulating your game.

You can bet on yet some more "bonus missions" you have to pay for shortly after the release of issue 10.

TL;DR: Funcom will charge you 4 times for their Tokyo expansion.

Harbinger of Fools

Comments

• PerramasPerramas Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Funcom puts the FU in fun!

FUncom putting the FU in fun since 1993.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

It seems like they have secretly removed EA logos from their site.

Edit: http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/ my bad,still there so keep on rockin Eacom.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I felt they were right, Tokyo feels empty - not in terms of 'Apocalypse Deserted' but empty about quests. Next to the story missions you have 1 main mission and then just some tiny side missions to go along with. The rest is all about grinding the new AEGIS system which only works in Tokyo itself.

So where are all the quests that could fit into the new zone?

They were released now RIGHT AFTER issue 9 and of course you have to pay again.

Think of it this way then. Issue #9 costs roughly the same as any of the previous issues. If you count the story missions the same as the regular missions in the previous issues, which they arguably are given there's multiple steps and cutscenes in each and every one of them, then it has more than any other issue to date (8 vs 6). It has more missions total too once you count all the side missions. All that plus the new playfield, tons of lore to find, rare world bosses, and a new horizontal progression mechanic (AEGIS system). I'm not saying it doesn't feel like double dipping, but think about it, you got much more for your money than for almost any previous issue.

I do think the sidestory packs should cost a smidge less but they do provide just a mission less than the previous issues, complete with cutscenes, voice acting, and a costume piece tied to completing all of them. Would I have preferred to spend $30 or so on a whole new chunk of missions and story like with SWTOR's micro expansion? Yea I kind of would have, but I'm also fine with spreading it out into three or so chunks that equate to the same price.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The full package for 30$ would have at least been honest and I would not mind at all.

The way they presented this though is like calling us stupid and naive to the face.

Calling AEGIS "progression" is quite a positive way to express it. To me it's just soft cap for those guys who grinded augments so they won't have a faceroll easy time in Tokyo. 

It would be kind of different if the system had any strategic use outside of Tokyo. But it's really just clicking your attunement button to sync it with the monster you are fighting.

Pointless grinding for the masses.

Another great idea brought to you by EA'GIS

Harbinger of Fools
  • hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Dakeru

The full package for 30$ would have at least been honest and I would not mind at all.

The way they presented this though is like calling us stupid and naive to the face.

Calling AEGIS "progression" is quite a positive way to express it. To me it's just soft cap for those guys who grinded augments so they won't have a faceroll easy time in Tokyo. 

It would be kind of different if the system had any strategic use outside of Tokyo. But it's really just clicking your attunement button to sync it with the monster you are fighting.

Pointless grinding for the masses.

Another great idea brought to you by EA'GIS

See, I don't honestly understand the whole stupid and naive bit. I really don't. I can't look at the setup and see them bilking us or trying to take advantage of the player base. Or at least not as things currently stand anyway. I look at it and see that for my $10 I'm getting the same or more content than I have been for previous issues. As I said I'd admittedly like to see the sidestory packs be slightly less expensive since they tend to contain fewer missions than the full-out issues but other than that I'm not seeing the scam.

I'm functioning under the impression that AEGIS will stay on as part of the game from here on out. They're adding a defensive aspect in issue #10 and I'm sure you'll need to use the whole thing in the Tokyo dungeon, raid, nightmare lair and potentially even the Tokyo scenario. I generally find it much less grindy than the augment system which I've largely stayed away from.

Also worth noting. EA has nothing to do with the actual game beyond FunCom partnering with them to distribute the boxed copies of the game through the EA Partners program.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by hehenep

I'm functioning under the impression that AEGIS will stay on as part of the game from here on out. They're adding a defensive aspect in issue #10 and I'm sure you'll need to use the whole thing in the Tokyo dungeon, raid, nightmare lair and potentially even the Tokyo scenario. I generally find it much less grindy than the augment system which I've largely stayed away from.

Exactly. Totally agree with you here.