Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] WildStar: Dig In & Explore Nexus, Cupcake

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    The scores I would give for "graphics" and for "gameplay" would be much lower then those given by the reviewer. In both cases, it is more a "personal taste" or opinion then something that can be quantitatively measured. For me, the graphics are just not my style nor taste...hence why I would not rate it highly. Same for gameplay. Did not find it overly unique nor in my case that much fun. Others of course will disagree....that is YOUR opinion and you are welcome to it. For me though, I am staying away from this MMO.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• yui1989yui1989 Member Posts: 5
    overated wow is still better than this
  • Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76

honestly the game blows, its already begun to hemorrhage players.

The pvp is complete trash its nothing but visual clutter, zergy button mashing, repetitive same three skills over and over again, poor game play. You can't click on moving targets because the game doesn't recognize that well at all, and the pvp gear is gated behind rating requirements that widen the gap between skilled players and average players, which means even worse of a roflstomping for the average players in battlegrounds and even less reason for them to keep on playing.

The PvE leveling experience is terrible with millions of generic, dull, boring, and extremely grindy "quests", all to get to the end game where the amount of "casual" content drys up and you are left with a time gated elder gem system that in the long run discourages alts, new players, or taking time off if you at all want to remain competitive given how very long it takes to "catch up" and max out all your AMP and ability points through the elder gem system. 

Its time to turn our attention to Everquest Next and Warlords of Draenor.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Wighty

Originally posted by doodphace

Originally posted by Ragnar1337

innovation 7?? lol can't even take this review seriously. Wildstar isn't terrible, but it is so terribly average and typical of the same theme park shit we have been getting for 10 years. Another game preparing for that F2P conversion next year no doubt. Unless you are really big on raiding this game won't hold interest past the first 30 days. 

Even the raiding, the attinuations alone will prob kill the raid scene. The raid encounters themselves should be the real challenge, not the path you have to take to step inside.

Keying and attuning isn't so bad, it is an element of the old school games that actually gave people a chance to work toether for a common goal...

With Wildstar however it is a major hurdle which is hindered by the fact that you have limit caps on how much you can progress by way of spec, skill points to flesh out builds to achieve such content, by needing the Eldar Gems which you can only get 140 / week.

The attunement WILL kill the raid scene for all but the .5% REALLY hardcore raiders willing to take a shot at it... the other casual raiders will never get past the attunement barrier of the silver level goal for the vet dungeons.

So basically YES THERE'S RAIDSSSSSSSSS, however that carrot is being dangled pretty much months before it is even attainable.

Exactly. The attinuation is also killing the non raider playerbase as well. If i would have the free time, I would totally be down for spending all of the time attinuating myself to raid, but i dont, therefore I rely on challenging dungeons. This is percisly the reason I am still subbed to SWTOR, it has a dungeon finder, and its dungeons can be quite challenging at times, though that goes out the window if everyone out gears it. When WS came out, I thought it would be my new MMO. Finally, an MMO with super hard dungeons, and a dungeon finder....yet, to get attinuations you need to medal high in expert dungeons. I hit 50 last week, and there has yet to be an expert run that didnt fall apart as soon as something happened that would not allow us to hit gold. I am all for wiping 20 times in a dungeon, and was hoping for that, but most peoiple either dont want to wipe, or are only running it for the attinuations, thus drop at the first sign of struggle. This, for me, utterly kills it.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

I disagree that the Gameplay combat is worth that score. In my view it is a 6-7 because of the combat issues, as I see them.

The User Interface needs to be like Neverwinter MMO because of how active the combat is. You cannot have combat that is as active as a first person shooter, or a fighting game and then shackle it to a 3rd party standard MMO user interface. 

The Actions per Minute (zergy clicking and tapping keys) required to be effective with some character classes is ridiculous. Pressing buttons, positioning fields, and strafing and dodging all at almost the same time is simply too high a workload for most people, myself included.

There needs to be a combat oriented interface like what Cryptic did with Champions Online, and Neverwinter. If you want to use the standard MMO style, that's fine, but there should be the alternate style as well. 

It's gotten to the point where the mod for locking down the mouselook function, while using a third party program autohotkey to simulate this functionality, is one of the most popular mods that has been downloaded. That should tell the developers something, and I'm hoping they make the change and add the features. 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

First time i see a reasonable score in a review on this site.

It won't help the game however..and as much as i like it, it will stumble over Carbine's hardliner attitude. What they think is "hardcore" is at times a rather frustrating experience for many players.

With the many problems the game has in how many of it's endgame aspects are designed, i even doubt it would thrive as f2p.

Another game that "could have been it", but a) too little content at 50 that is b) not accessible at all to too many players. Carbine repeated many mistakes other companies learned from 6+ years ago, but "the devs weren't listening".

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by furbans

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

after 5 years ,finally someone make an new MMORPG game ,congratz Carbine

After five years?  You been living under a rock or something?  WS doesn't do anything different that others haven done before except with an overuse of telegraphs.

Solid MMO but nothing that really hasn't been done before.

I am not talking about some crapy innovations ,I am talk about new game in MMORPG genre what is real mmo game in definitions what should to be MMO.

Forced innovations are make crap  from mmo genre,brw

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Tbh there are a million games out there that is trivial to play, it makes a damn fine change to have a game that requires a lot of skill and reactions to play.

Put it this way lowering skill required to control you char after a month - that's impatience, laziness, 'self entitlement' rolled into 1. Wait a year until the pop balances out and you get a true indication of what is a good skill requirement. Nerfing after a couple weeks is silly.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Couldn't disagree more.

The game is not deserving if this score.

Based on what exactly?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Couldn't disagree more.

The game is not deserving if this score.

Based on what exactly?

In this matter based on it's not a Trion game.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

So many comments about how the "hardcore" elements of this game are too hard.

Too bad Carbine didn't let folks know upfront that this wasn't "streamlined WOW easy mode raiding".

My word. I do however like to drop by the old MMORPG forums to see the same old tripe about EVERY game that comes out.

You guys keep it up.

It's a pretty game, with a lot of character in it's art/world design, that score doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Personally I'd detract a point or two because of the overly saturated colors and busy nature of it all, but that could be a +2 from someone else who enjoys that.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I am finding that there hasn't been nearly enough shenannigans in these comments, so I've prepared my own review. Ahem!! 

Seriously? 8.4 out of 10? Wow, how much did Carbine have to pay you for that review?!?

First of all, you gave aesthetics a 10/10!!! What? It's cartoon graphics!!! Plus, there's like no worthy PvP to be had, so how could aesthetics possibly be a 10? I mean it's a freakin' 10! Do you realize that means that no other game could EVER get a 10 now!?!? And you wasted your only 10 on Wildstar? Wow. 

Secondly is gameplay, I mean this is just a WoW clone! How could you seriously give it an 8/10? I'd give it a 7.75 myself, but 8?!? Gawd, someone over there must be off their rocker! I mean what's to it? You run around, kill things, do stuff. Geez, 8? 

Third is Innovation. Hmmmmm, 7 seems kind of fair, but they didn't really do any PvP that I like, so I'll give it a 2 instead. Oh, and it's a WoW Clone, so I'll make it a 1. 

Polish is an 8? Ummmmm, yeah, remember? cartoon graphics? Plus, they had queues when they launched, so 5.

Longevity, Social, Value, whatever, blah, blah. I've lost me interest in writing this review now. As soon as I play this game I'll write a more detailed review about how horrible a time I'm having. 

EDIT: Oops, forgot my Overall score. I'll give it a 2/10 right now just to even out all those people giving it 9s and 10s.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I am finding that there hasn't been nearly enough shenannigans in these comments, so I've prepared my own review. Ahem!! 

Seriously? 8.4 out of 10? Wow, how much did Carbine have to pay you for that review?!?

First of all, you gave aesthetics a 10/10!!! What? It's cartoon graphics!!! Plus, there's like no worthy PvP to be had, so how could aesthetics possibly be a 10? I mean it's a freakin' 10! Do you realize that means that no other game could EVER get a 10 now!?!? And you wasted your only 10 on Wildstar? Wow. 

Secondly is gameplay, I mean this is just a WoW clone! How could you seriously give it an 8/10? I'd give it a 7.75 myself, but 8?!? Gawd, someone over there must be off their rocker! I mean what's to it? You run around, kill things, do stuff. Geez, 8? 

Third is Innovation. Hmmmmm, 7 seems kind of fair, but they didn't really do any PvP that I like, so I'll give it a 2 instead. Oh, and it's a WoW Clone, so I'll make it a 1. 

Polish is an 8? Ummmmm, yeah, remember? cartoon graphics? Plus, they had queues when they launched, so 5.

Longevity, Social, Value, whatever, blah, blah. I've lost me interest in writing this review now. As soon as I play this game I'll write a more detailed review about how horrible a time I'm having. 

EDIT: Oops, forgot my Overall score. I'll give it a 2/10 right now just to even out all those people giving it 9s and 10s.

The sad part is this really does mirror a lot of the negative reviews you see out there on places like metacritic. This  is also true for many of the positive ones.

I saw a review from IGN on a show called Ripper st. Pretty good police procedural from BBC, it also features Bronn from GOT. SO that's a plus. Anyway point is the review was glowing on all aspects that count, acting, storytelling, etc... what did the reviewer detract points for? this is a direct quote- "Despite some intriguing throughlines, this is at its heart a procedural, where I prefer serialized drama."

Gave it a 7.8 lol that was the only negative in the round up of the review, everything else was a +. The "pros" do this as well.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I find WoW more visually appealing than Wildstar.  Don't hate me
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Wighty

At first I really had zero interest in this game but a freind of mine was very interested and so I jumped on the band wagon...

It was a little over the top as far as the "schtick" goes but it's all good.

I managed to progress through the "leveling up" content without issue, actually really enjoyed the process visiting all of the various quest areas. Didn't have much of an issue here maybe a small handful of quest bugs which were fixed along the way.

I also managed to level up my patch which as a stalker being a scientist came in very handy especially when porting groups to my location. Overall a pretty cool experience.

I finally hit 50 and thought to myself "what do" and also noticed I still had an "XP" bar but now the game shifted to Eldar gems whcih is needed for various other items. I thought to myself ok cool... no big deal... I read up on a few things like "what to do at lvl 50" and that is when the game took a dive off a cliff for me...

See, the game does a great job of luring you in and giving you a healthy dose of content and fun stuff along the way until you reach 50... Then the tedium of grinding the Eldar gems rolls in...

Now as I recall you can only gain 140 (or so) Eldar gems a week which is the cap... (I believe there are other means to extend this) but say I was wrong at it was 300 a week cap...

Well you need something to the effect of 3200 just to flesh out your AMP spec

You also need roughly 2800 (or 2900) to flesh out you skill point

That's months of grinding the same dailies and "whatever else gets you gems" just to finally complete you level build. While I did read there are other ways to gain these points such as very rare drops etc. You still have to grind that up.

Now the raid sutff...

You need 150 just to get the "raid key"

While there are a few solo steps along the way you will fall flat on your face unless you are in a hard core guild as you now need to gain silver (or better) in EVERY veteran Adventure and Dungeon... which according to other reviews it is practically impossible to pug and even difficult with a solid group... To gain Silver in adventures there is a 75 minute time limit... Dungeons are the same 75 minute and you must complete the questlines (or so I read). Now while YOU may have gotten lucky and circumvented some of the grind through drops, or used the architect exploit and were selling certain furniture for Eldar gems (fixed) you still need to wait for 19 or 39 of your fellow constituents to get there as well, who may not be so lucky.

The problem as I see it is this is where things may look good on paper but Carbine is forgetting exactly how shitty the MMO community can be. "Speed Runs!" "Must be XY spec in order to group" "Link your achievements" "What's your gear score" "show me your resume'"... basically all the fun is sapped from the game because you must "play a certain way" in order to participate.

Putting wekly caps on things just seems like a shitty and artificial means of "slowing things down" or forcing the herd through a specific path.

There is really not much else to do in the game... Basically have a great time leveling to 50, then get on the grindiest treadmill ever... Which on top of that is limited by gem caps.

I thought there was other things to do as opposed to appealing to the 2% of gamers. 

Housing is OK but that is a side show that's not the main event... 

I cancelled my sub, as This playstyle really isn't for me.

Currently playing an NDA sandbox which I backed on kickstarter.

Thank you for posting this. This is precisely what I was afraid of when I first saw the preview videos, no way am I dropping $60 at start plus $15 a month for another grindfest treadmill.

I'd buy you a beer for saving me from that if you lived close to me.

Where's the any key?

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Nice review and score.

GZ Carbine for a great mmo and Bill for a well written and in depth review. Thx :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Aesthetics? More like Anestetics, its so colorful people get headache. It seems like this review is not very objective.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Innovation = 7

Could I recommend that MMORPG change their rating system to an adjective system? Like:

Innovation = Average

That way MMORPG could be more honest in their reviews, and still get paid by the MMOs that they review. Clearly Wildstar had average innovation, i.e. none (par for the course today). But it gets a 7 just because MMORPG can't hurt Carbine's feelings if they want to keep bringing in revenue for ads, get early access to interviews / sneak peeks, etc. MMORPG -wants- to say the innovation is low, but a 7 is the best they can do for political reasons.

Innovation = Average

Not bad, right? Not insulting, not dishonest either (like 7 is).

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    8.4? oh this game must be amazing. oh wait it's not. It is standard fare as far as mmorpg's go.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    This is not a bad game, but aesthetics 10??? LOL. What a bunch of nonsense. A 10 deserves a step forward, not a step horizontally. This includes the game as a whole. Its just a horizontal step of the same. Though I think the overall score should be more like a 7-8, especially due to the wall of text carebear boring PVE questing, the fact that the writer gave this an aesthetics of 10 makes me think his objectivity is completely clouded by his own personal preferences.

There Is Always Hope!

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    I find WoW more visually appealing than Wildstar.  Don't hate me

just means you have good taste

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

i love wildstar. its so much better than the other 2.750 themepark mmos before this one. and it does so many things better. well it doesnt, but still, its new... and umm, new stuff .. so its kinda cool. sure its more of the same, but its still new so it definitely deserves a 8,4 score. or even higher, because its so new. And i dont think its a wow/other themepark games clone. For gods sake just look at its mobs, they look different than other mmos mobs! So its not a clone. Now we got that out of the way...

no really do all AAA themepark mmos that do nothing new, but actually release with less feature than current wow build has, have to get at least an 8 or what... 

which makes it a bit sad, considering swtor was supposedly, a better game than this one :P

so my question is, how does a game get so high score, if it doesnt do anything new or ineresting and actually offers less stuff than 10 years old game?

no seriously, imagine if GTA VI Is to release with GTA 2 features, just with todays graphics... sure, it would get 10 in polish... but for gods sake, thats mostly because it had 15 years to polish those freaking features -.-

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

i love wildstar. its so much better than the other 2.750 themepark mmos before this one. and it does so many things better. well it doesnt, but still, its new... and umm, new stuff .. so its kinda cool. sure its more of the same, but its still new so it definitely deserves a 8,4 score. or even higher, because its so new. 

Can someone please explain the logic in this because it made absolutely no sense?

There Is Always Hope!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

i love wildstar. its so much better than the other 2.750 themepark mmos before this one. and it does so many things better. well it doesnt, but still, its new... and umm, new stuff .. so its kinda cool. sure its more of the same, but its still new so it definitely deserves a 8,4 score. or even higher, because its so new. 

Can someone please explain the logic in this because it made absolutely no sense?

Actually, just ran it through Google Translate:

"I haven't actually played Wildstar, but it looks similar to other games. Therefore, it's exactly the same as all other games. Again, I haven't played the game, or even really read anything about it to know what I'm talking about, but this is my opinion, so I can't be wrong." 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------