Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worse than Age of Wulin

Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

So I got into beta.......closed beta...and I have to say I was very dissapointed. The coding is so out of wack even my 770 GTX with the game on super low only gets about 30 to 40 fps. I get 80+ in Watchdogs on Ultra settings. UI is just awful. Menus are a mess. I feel like I need to have like 10 or 20 manuals in front of me to explain things. Combat is very slow for a supposed action game. You get 3 choices of controls when you start the game. I chose action cuz they said it was like Neverwinter. That's right, in the option in the game, it said, "Just like Neverwinters combat".....NOT. One huge problem with the game is the quest tracker. All you have to do is click on the objective and your character starts running off in the direction of said quest. Lazy I know. Also you could turn off the breadcrumb trail in Neverwinter, but in Swordsman you cant. You get a double jump. When it comes time to do some croutching tiger, hidden dragon rooftop jumping, it's AUTOMATIC. Thats right, just hold "R" and after a second let go of the mouse and keyboard and watch him/her go.

I played for 5 hours and followed everything everybody in game said and I still don't know what the hell is going on. All I get from the story is I am a hero. END OF STORY. Graphics are just awful even on max settings and it seems like you never need to open a solid steel door, just walk through it! Another thing is that I chose the only server it would let me, an NA server. In chat all I see is, "Ping teh wing dengg", some kinda Chinese or something. Took me a while to actually find some English speaking peeps.

Last but not least....LOOT. Wheres the loot? I mean sure ESO had minimal loot but loot non the less. In the 5 hours I played only a bowl of noodles dropped.

I felt like I was literally being held by the hand the entire time. I know people say that about themeparks and other games but this is for real. You never have to explore.

Oh and you get these world things, I forgot what their called, but after you run out you can no longer gain xp from enemies until a certain amount of time has passed or you somehow get more world stuff.

All in all it is closed beta and things could change. I hope they do because this game is a mess and I'll gladly go back to Age of Wulin/Wushu, a game I dislike, than this current state of a game.

Damn I was so excited for this too. I really thought, "Duh A kung fu game, it's gotta be golden der der". Damn was I wrong. I should have learned from every non successful martial arts game. And there are no successful martial arts games out. At least worth my time that is.

JUST MY OPINION. OTHERS LOVE THIS GAME AND I SUPPORT THEM FOR IT. THIS IS NOT TO BASH THE GAME FOR ANYBODY, JUST A HEADS UP ON WHAT TO EXPECT.

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Oh yeah one more thing. When you choose action combat as your control scheme, be prepared to hit "Ctrl" a thousand times to click on everything. That means talking to npc's too. I tried to get used to it but it just annoyed the tits outta me.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

It's not Chinese you see in chat, but Vietnamese. Namely alot of people that played AoW are trying to beta. Looking for something better then AoW.

I'm using two 690GTX not in SLI though. (Dual monitor setup) running with every maxed at 2560x1600. Frame rate for me never dips below 50~60 fps. Unless I'm in town and there are a ton of people around 1 NPC. Even then I haven't seen a dip below 40. Except after playing for about 4 hours or so, there seems to be a memory leak. Exiting game and logging back in solves it fine for me.  (I7-3930K not OC'd, 16gb of ram @ 1600mhz not OC'd either. Running off an Intel 730 series SSD and Win7 Pro)

Combat slow? Have to disagree with you there.  That would be Age of Wushu. You'll get equal bits slow and clunky, while just being all around bad, in AoW.

Automatic as you put it "Crouching Tiger" moments are for cut-scenes.

Having to hit CTRL to unlock mouse was annoying for me at first. But like any other control scheme I got use to it. Can easily get around it by using one other the two modes, though I only use Action Mode atm, best for combat, imho.

Not sure why you were looking for exploration in this game. None of PWE games are like that. Don't think I've ever heard them advertise the game as having any sort of interest in exploration. The big selling points for this are A) Martial Arts. B)Story. C) PvP.  Not exploration, not crafting, not open world, etc etc.

Loot is currently buggy. It's dropping by pretty much invisible. If you were looking lower right, you'd see an icon pop up telling you to press R to loot. I don't think i've killed a mob yet in 35 levels that didnt drop loot. Outside of dungeon mobs and named quest mobs (and even a few of them have dropped something).

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by Roin

I'm using two 690GTX not in SLI though. (Dual monitor setup) running with every maxed at 2560x1600. Frame rate for me never dips below 50~60 fps. Unless I'm in town and there are a ton of people around 1 NPC. Even then I haven't seen a dip below 40. Except after playing for about 4 hours or so, there seems to be a memory leak. Exiting game and logging back in solves it fine for me.  (I7-3930K not OC'd, 16gb of ram @ 1600mhz not OC'd either. Running off an Intel 730 series SSD and Win7 Pro)

This I do not believe. My roommate, who also played longer than me before quitting has 2 780's sli'ed and 32 gigs of ram compaired to my 8 and he dips too. He came to my room and was like, "I think my PC is fudged up". He looks at the top left of my screen where I have the EVGA Percision up and he says, "How are you dipping fps too?"

So we did research on the interwebs and found out that thousands of people with high end PC's are having the problem. So it's not just me. Just go check their forums lol.

And FYI, PWE made by Perfect World is about exploration and questing and crafting and story. Hence why people have dubbed it a WoW clone.

I'm sorry dude I can not support a hand holding game. I want to go find the quest giver, not run on rails like everybody else. It looked so funny seeing everybody run the same line without skipping a beat. It looked like a game full of bots.

Also if I played a game just for story and martial arts, I'd go read the book.

Or watch a movie, then I wont be so confused.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I literally played for about 10 minutes and just gave up. I had no FPS issues whatsoever but the game just felt like a dumbed down AoW, when what I was hoping for was an improved AoW. I'm starting to think Chinese MMOs just aren't my thing, if even MMOs at all are anymore. They are all so bland and barely any of them encourage social interaction and the few that do offer it on such a simplistic and meaningless level that they may as well not.

That being said... @Allacore69 if you really think WoW and WoW Clones are about exploration, I'm really sorry for you. Those games hold your hand just as much as Swordsman, Swordsman just goes the extra mile and doesnt even make you point yourself at the red circle and hold W

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I've had no issues with performance so far and I'm running a pretty old Radeon HD 6770 and a AMD FX 6320 cpu.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    based on the trailers and videos ive seen of the game i can tell PWE made this game using their Angelica Engine that makes every single PWE game feels like the same game and run equally bad (PWE games always have an innate clunkyness in their gameplay that seem to be an engine feature lol). They needed to use Cryptic's engine since they already own it too.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    based on the trailers and videos ive seen of the game i can tell PWE made this game using their Angelica Engine that makes every single PWE game feels like the same game and run equally bad (PWE games always have an innate clunkyness in their gameplay that seem to be an engine feature lol). They needed to use Cryptic's engine since they already own it too.

No clue what you are talking about - the Angelica III engine runs flawlessly and it's resource demand is rock bottom low.

This game runs as good, if not better, than FFXIV: ARR.  For that computer build I run (read: cheap) - that is a feat.

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

About "not finding english people", that's just not true, the chat was always filled with english banter when I played (there was also some asians but not the majority).

About loot, you just haven't been paying attention, all you need to do is press R and you'll see that your character runs around picking lots of things, it's just invisible most of the time since it's trash loot and materials and would clutter the world if visible. As I fought with higher and higher lvl enemies, the loot seemed to include more and more equipment.

The "world Xp" has me worried too, but from what I see, it takes a long time to deplete, so it should be fine as long as you're not botting 24/7. You also get 5 hours of double mob XP per week, that you can control when to activate and when to deactivate.

As for combat, it's not bad at all, in my opinion, but it might depend on the school you choose. There is definitely potential with the way you can make custom styles and learn new arts outside of your main school, and getting your 2nd set of skills is already a big game changer. You also eventually get movement skills to perform swift motions in all directions, and many skills include movement, areas of effect and status effects.

Now for the bad parts, the game feels on rails, you have a quest line from lvl 1 that you just have to follow to get better equipment and your next skills. The game also feels super easy 99% of the time. The only time I died was when I decided to explore up a cliff in a newb area and got slaughtered by lvl 80 mobs. But it seems that if you take a break from the main quest from time to time, there is stuff you can do in the world.

Leveling is very easy, at least from lvl 1 to lvl 30 (where i'm at currently). This might be a good thing since it unlocks stuff, we'll see...

Overall there doesn't seem to be much innovation in this game, it's pretty much the same old...

I will say that the combat does feel clunky. The UI is passable but it there is too much crap that pops up that you simply can't turn off. The most annoying thing for me so far is the chat bubbles telling me to pick stuff up. Those cover almost the entire right side of my hotkey bar and when choosing a school to join it covers part of the video and the "cancel" button. I'm playing at 1280x720 res. I'm also not sure if it's an error because they pop up for quest givers. I have the option unchecked in the settings.

Apparently I'm level 17 at the moment. I feel like I've done absolutely nothing but run back and forth between npcs and kill 1-3 "bosses" if you can call them that. The bosses are incredibly easy while at the same time managing to be very annoying due to them sometimes spamming attacks that juggle you in the air or stun/fear you, so the fight gets drawn out much longer than it should be. Don't get me wrong, I don't even think they are able to take you below 3/4 hp so they're not really doing damage, just being annoying.

Coming from TERA the action mode tries to be like that but it feels very unrefined and hard to use. In TERA combat can be kind of slow because when you attack you don't move and it takes a while for you to be able to move freely again (kind of like monster hunter). In Swordsman it feels like it's even slower than that... with none of the fast left click attacks. I eventually just switched to the traditional MMO and the recommend combat styles instead because I just couldn't play with the TERA-like combat in this game.

I was really hoping to see some flashy attacks, there are some flashy SKILLS but as of right now I only have 3 skills with quite a long cooldown time... looking at the skill window for the first time, you get one more skill at level 20, one more at 40, and two at 60. This is WAY too slow for me... I played 9Dragons for a very long time and I think that game did a great job of making you feel like a complete badass, even with the "basic" attacks. I think they had some of the coolest and most fun to watch animations out of any game I've played since Silkroad Online. I was kinda hoping for the same from Swordsman online but now I find out there are barely even any skills. I dunno, maybe they want you to make lots of characters and level them all up but I'm not a fan of it.

My biggest problem is just the mundane gameplay of constantly running from npc to npc. Personally I'm incredibly thankful for the auto-route feature because I really can't be bothered to go back and forth between npcs a hundred times and maybe kill 2-3 enemies on the way for a quest once out of those hundred times.

I'm sure there is a lot more depth to the game, just like age of wushu, but so far I haven't seen it and they haven't really shown me anything. Maybe they want players to discover it themselves or maybe they don't want to bombard you with a ton of really confusing/poorly explained shit all at the same time like they did with wushu.

Despite the "cutscenes" being quite cheesey it's nice that they're there. It makes ME kind of happy seeing something cheesey after doing so many quests that feel completely pointless.

Level 17 is basically still the tutorial.  You can't even touch the shell, let alone get into the meat of the game, until level 20.

Yeah - I know, that's a bit odd given conventions from other games.

You get much flashier skills once you progress into your school a bit.

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Level 17 is basically still the tutorial.  You can't even touch the shell, let alone get into the meat of the game, until level 20.

Yea exactly, I even heard someone from the alpha saying in game that the tutorial is until lvl 30 (when you can activate open world pvp). Getting there is fast if you just follow the quests, but it's certainly a bit boring.

The person above said that you can only get one more skill at lvl 20 then 40, but what you actually get is a new set of skills (and you also get new skills for your existing sets from time to time). I think that you can later make a custom set in which you mix skills from all your sets, and you also get new skill slots as you lvl up.

Skills can also be obtained from some quests, and the main story seems to be going towards learning a separate skill set too.

The only thing that is a bit annoying about skills, is that goddamn focus skill that I almost never managed to activate outside of the tutorial in which you first try it.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? How do you "progress into your school?" Will the game actually tell you that after you reach level 20?

I pressed 'K' (which I assume is the skill window) and only saw 4 more skills. I did see some other stuff in there, I think different stances maybe, do all of the stances come with their own skills as well or what?

Originally posted by Alka_Setzer

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? How do you "progress into your school?" Will the game actually tell you that after you reach level 20?

I pressed 'K' (which I assume is the skill window) and only saw 4 more skills. I did see some other stuff in there, I think different stances maybe, do all of the stances come with their own skills as well or what?

So the initial story is basically your character being initiated into the school of your choice.  As best as I can tell it's all level gated via the main quest.  You will quest straight into your 2nd set where you will have a training quest in your school map.  That's where things open a bit.  You'll have two sets that you can switch between or create a custom skill set (not recommended early).

What you are describing from the "K" menu are your school forms.  Each school has 3 forms, you'll unlock the other 2 later.  There's also an option for a custom set of skills using school-less skills or a combination of all 3 forms.  I've not tested that all since I only have 2 forms and they don't synergize well together.

As you progress in level you should automatically get a quest to return to your school or have a quest integrated directly into the main chain.  Pretty hard to miss it.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Yeah i guess your surposed get a quest at lvl20 to go back to your school but i didn't i was lvl 22 when i just teleported back myself to see if i missed something and i got my secound set of skills in the school quest. When i hit lvl 20 i didn't get a quest or it could have been some popup message which in this game are annying how many you get. The second set is a must so go get it at lvl 20. My problem with this closed beta is way to many players in a closed beta killing the same mobs everywhere you go. I've never seen this many people in a close beta before.
  • LyrithLyrith Member Posts: 3

Agreed with topic starter. The game is too bloated with graphics and cut-scenes, when it should have focused more on substance. Coupled with the lame ARC client, I get horrible lag at the lowest settings. Age of Wushu was better... even if that was still flawed. It's funny how damn laggy the game is when all of the maps are so small. You walk 10 feet from the quest giver to the mobs you have to kill, then another 10 feet to the next quest giver.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

The only thing Wushu beats this game in is hiding the linear story. Because Wushu does a very bad job story telling anyway. The combat is aweful in Wushu. Most of the attacks literally are buggy and have no collision detection. So when people say it's better than SO off combat. That's a dead fan boy give away. Because we all know how buggy combat is in AoW. 

But really you shouldn't be comparing them. Because they take different approaches to Martial Arts gaming. AoW is basically a sand box sim of Martial Arts. And SO is a arcade heavy story look on it. Comparing Sandbox to Arcade is impossible. They will always be better in some areas and not in others. I could see if AoW was meant to have fast combat and good controls (it doesn't) and if SO was meant to have sandbox (it doesn't).

Both games never claimed to be those things. And are very different, and should be look as such. Just because they're both Martial Arts games. Doesn't mean they are meant to be played and judged the same way. It's really not fair on both sides.

Originally posted by Alka_Setzer

So the initial story is basically your character being initiated into the school of your choice.  As best as I can tell it's all level gated via the main quest.  You will quest straight into your 2nd set where you will have a training quest in your school map.  That's where things open a bit.  You'll have two sets that you can switch between or create a custom skill set (not recommended early).

What you are describing from the "K" menu are your school forms.  Each school has 3 forms, you'll unlock the other 2 later.  There's also an option for a custom set of skills using school-less skills or a combination of all 3 forms.  I've not tested that all since I only have 2 forms and they don't synergize well together.

As you progress in level you should automatically get a quest to return to your school or have a quest integrated directly into the main chain.  Pretty hard to miss it.

Thanks. I just got to level 20 and I will say that it is definitely much better with my second skill set. I haven't actually tried switching between the two during combat but I can still that it will definitely be much more fun with custom stances when you unlock more forms.

----------

As for everyone else experience lag, you should probably post your relevant system specs. I have a low to mid range PC, with everything maxed (aside from some disgusting effects like bloom) I run the game perfectly fine. No lag or anything.

Windows 7, AMD FX 6320, Radeon HD 6770

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

I'm actually enjoying the game far more than I thought I would.

I figured I'd download it, confirm that it was just another cheap asian grinder and promptly uninstall. When I logged in and saw features like autopathing, repeatable macros, click-to-move/close-in, mediocre graphics, and bot farming support (cultivation), I certainly wasn't reassured. 

However, the game has quite a few redeeming qualities that made me stick around. 

The combat is unexpectedly complex when you get into the later levels and start mixing and matching skills from different forms to suit your unique playstyle, especially when you start to use jumps and dashes in your rotation, and realize that the buffs from certain forms stay on you when you switch to another form.

At level 25 (which takes about an hour of game time), you get your first companion, which can fight with you, heal/buff (depending on skills), auto-loot, and I believe there are plans to have it sell stuff as well. The system is actually fairly complex as it allows you to spec your various companions' skills and stats, has a loyalty resource, and allows you to 'charm' new ones that can be both animals and humans.

The open-world pvp is probably the best feature this game has to offer. You can kill anyone, anywhere (except for main cities, I believe- and are penalized for attacking someone who just zoned). If you kill a non-pker (white name) your own name starts to change color.

If your reputation drops enough and you become a pk'er, others can kill you for loot. Lots of avenger teams/guilds out there hunting PKs. Only problem I saw with the system was you could buy infamy pills which reduce your pk status, which kind of defeats the purpose of penalizing you for ganking.

You can also kill the bots using the in-game cultivation feature to farm exp/items quite easily (and they need to buy endo pills from the cash shop in order to use the feature, so you're actually costing them real money).

Well i got to lvl 35 and i think i'm all done for now. Might come back and check it out after beta. But it feels like a more polished Jade Dynasty but way better than Age of wushu. I just got bored and found myself just sick of kill 10 of this or 15 of that. The last straw for me was collect 10 boar meat. Lvl 32 and asked to collect 10 boar meat. And with its open world pvp i just don't know if i want to put the time into something like that. Its just missing something for me.
  • Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I also hit 35, I can say that its not a bad game I dont get the fps drops like some people on here the questing kinda sucks but from what I read PVP is the primary focus of the game so Ill give it a good crack when the game goes live.

Really hot topic on the open world pvp part of the game. It would seem its really just a gank fest and people are already quitting the game. It hasn't even been released yet and its getting bad press from some gamers on all the ganking going on. Well i guess thats what happens when you add open world pvp in a game. Its like the devs think players will only kill players their own lvl or something. Really stupid move on the devs part yet again in a mmo.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Really hot topic on the open world pvp part of the game. It would seem its really just a gank fest and people are already quitting the game. It hasn't even been released yet and its getting bad press from some gamers on all the ganking going on. Well i guess thats what happens when you add open world pvp in a game. Its like the devs think players will only kill players their own lvl or something. Really stupid move on the devs part yet again in a mmo.

Except those people who don't like "being ganked" probably shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

People would save themselves so much grief if they did their research BEFORE downloading and playing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Hariken

A copy/past post with a new topic?

I declare you a troll.