Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish for EQ3, instead of EQ Next, I don't like any of it ( Poll )

Comments

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by time007
    dude, they are riding the wave of crap that is popular now. haha.  they basically pick crap that is popular and throw it in their game.  hah.  too bad.  I was looking for something old school as well, but they take some thing the kids like, mix it in with things vets like, the mix in some things the wow kids like, and the result is a new MMO. 

See that's where a lot of companies cannot win for losing. They give us something "old school" and people scream "We don't want old stuff, we want new and different!!!" they give us new and different and it's "We want MMORPGs like how they used to be!!!"

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by DMKano

SOE is hoping to bring in a wide audience to EQN for max profit. It will be an ultra casual game, most likely not even a true MMORPG like EQ1 and 2.

I expect EQN to be a massive disappointment to EQ fans.

Take out the word massive and I agree. Those who have unrealistic expectations will be massively disappointed, though. Anyone who is hoping for EQ pre-2004 (when it died IMO) with graphics brought up to date, mechanics sped up, and cool new shit thrown in is going to be extremely sad when they get a chance to play the game. That won't happen.

A more reasonable hope is that we get an MMO that has some EQ elements thrown in, enough to make it feel a little like that game we used to love. Difficulty. Death penalties. Group-centric for most classes. Exploration that matters.

It's important to note that most of what the game will be is far from set in stone. The success of other MMO's between now and then will influence the direction EQN takes some things. I know you and I barely care (and not in a positive way) about Wildstar, DM, but it it keeps a bunch more subs than expected we could see the market realize that everything doesn't have to be Novice-mode 1988 Nintendo difficulty.

There's some hope if they set things up with ruleset servers. Keeps the PVPers, PVE'ers, and roleplay guys reasonably happy and out of each other's way. Haven't read anything about this being the case or not, so I apologize if I missed it.

As a quick summary of my thoughts.. I'm just not hoping for the best MMO ever. I've been beaten down past that point by what's been released in the past decade. I'm just hoping for something between WoW-style and the EverQuest I used to love. And I'm sure, despite trying to be reasonable, I'll be a little disappointed.

- Nellus

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by OMGr8573
    dude, they are riding the wave of crap that is popular now. haha.  they basically pick crap that is popular and throw it in their game.  hah.  too bad.  I was looking for something old school as well, but they take some thing the kids like, mix it in with things vets like, the mix in some things the wow kids like, and the result is a new MMO. 

See that's where a lot of companies cannot win for losing. They give us something "old school" and people scream "We don't want old stuff, we won't new and different!!!" they give us new and different and it's "We want MMORPGs like how they used to be!!!"

When is the last MMO that was truely "old school"? If you do know tell me because ive been craving something akin to old EQ/FFXI for a long time now.

All ive seen lately are people trying really hard to be todays WoW or jumping on the action combat train.

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I will try the game but the art style and the horizontal progression are putting me off. I don't like neither and they are both a huge factor in a game. I bought landmark and I've been traversing the lands and different biomes and they don't look good to me. And it is because of the art style. But as it will be a f2p game I guess I have nothing to lose. I voted for EQ3.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Did you really think a company that puts out a zombie mmorpg would do anything unique?
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Not a big f2p or limited/tied to weapons skill bar fan, and other things, but I will wait till I see what it is like.  Nothing is final, because they originally were not going to make Landmark, until they figured out they were making 2 products for the most part to make Next.

I hoped for bringing back early EQ, not later EQ, or EQ2.  I miss open dungeons, no or limited instances and such.  We will see I guess.

• RhypoRhypo Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Calex

Nothing so far about this game has got me interested in it at all. The art direction they are going with pretty much was the nail in the coffin for me, unless they have some kind of insane PvP scheme up their sleeves I doubt I will ever pay this game any attention.

Yes the art style is the thing that's holding me back as well....I just can't get behind that style. I was expecting something a bit more dark...maybe even more realistic. I don't know if you get what I mean.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

i for one do not wanna play a mmorpg with a "mindcraft"  setting environment

and as far as remaking eq2...they have already tore down that game soo much and rebuilt it to suit carebears and added wow elements to suit the main stream needs ..its already a diff. game than it once was when it was released

imo eqn will be another gimmic mmo just to try to stuff quick money into soe's pocket wich is a shame cuz i had high hopes

eq2 remake..no

eqlm...no

eqn...no

AC3...now you would have my attention!  and full backing!

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage

i for one do not wanna play a mmorpg with a "mindcraft"  setting environment

and as far as remaking eq2...they have already tore down that game soo much and rebuilt it to suit carebears and added wow elements to suit the main stream needs ..its already a diff. game than it once was when it was released

imo eqn will be another gimmic mmo just to try to stuff quick money into soe's pocket wich is a shame cuz i had high hopes

eq2 remake..no

eqlm...no

eqn...no

AC3...now you would have my attention!  and full backing!

Really?

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208

Am I the only one who is fine with this?

Destructible world has been the dream of this genre for 15+ years, now; the resource requirements were simply prohibitive, until recently.

Having played DDO from beta until pretty recently, I can attest that F2P can absolutely be a good thing; when their income is dependent on releasing new content, the game stays fresh (for a while, anyway).

Speaking of which, I do prefer being able to put every ability I have on a bar to be available whenever I want, but then, I've been playing TSW of late, and the "deck" concept is actually pretty interesting; TSW has the trinity, explicitly, but it is not bound by it.

And I can easily see some kind of role-based combat evolving in EQN; even in the original, we would find a way to make a given combination work. Druid + rogue duo xp grinding was hilarious: We would find animals of the right level, my cousin would snare, fear and DoT them, and I would walk behind and backstab :)

And I can't really speak to the marketing; I guess I'm so jaded from every other game IP being turned into a cartoonish caricature overlay of the same generic "MMORPG" mechanics that anything resembling an attempt to make an original game makes me hopeful.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I do wish they had kept the trinity over the soft trinity. I do hope EQN is not a pure twitch game. If EQN was any other game, I would not be following it closely. Not happy with every bit of direction but I will give it a shot. I do really like the voxels and hope they put them to good use with some type of PvP area where you can break down castles and keeps. We just dont know enough to fully judge yet.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

ITT

a bunch of people that aren't good at critical thinking

and

a number of people that seem to have a grasp on what might actually be possible with what SOE is putting together.

They are using the same engine between 4 different games… look at how easy it is to build / create in landmark, look at how weather affects the environment in H1Z1… i mean, WATER ACTS LIKE WATER and FIRE ACTUALLY SPREADS! Holy Crap! I am VERY excited to see what they have for us at SOE Live this year, looking at the schedule there will be hours and hours of panels and presentations regarding Next; this is great news. 

Is there potential for the game to be terrible? yes, there certainly is. SOE is raising the bar with physics and player access to the world though, and that's probably the most important advancement the MMO genre has ever seen. Even if SOE fails with EQ:N, other companies will pick up their ideas and run with them.

What SOE is doing is not bad for anybody. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by evilized

ITT

and

a number of people that seem to have a grasp on what might actually be possible with what SOE is putting together.

They are using the same engine between 4 different games… look at how easy it is to build / create in landmark, look at how weather affects the environment in H1Z1… i mean, WATER ACTS LIKE WATER and FIRE ACTUALLY SPREADS! Holy Crap! I am VERY excited to see what they have for us at SOE Live this year, looking at the schedule there will be hours and hours of panels and presentations regarding Next; this is great news. 

Is there potential for the game to be terrible? yes, there certainly is. SOE is raising the bar with physics and player access to the world though, and that's probably the most important advancement the MMO genre has ever seen. Even if SOE fails with EQ:N, other companies will pick up their ideas and run with them.

Its not about it being bad for gamers. Its that long time Everquest fans have been looking forward to and asking for a new EQ game for a long time. From the info given, this area of the forum and SoE EQN forum has died. SoE has said clearly they are making this game not to take the fans from EQ1 and EQ2 but to pull in a new group of players. From a business side of things, this sounds awesome. To the long time fan, it can feel like we are cheated. Funny thing is, EQ3 is what people have been asking for, for a long time. 

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Stew?

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I would rather see a EQ3 to be honest than EQN (with Disney graphic where Mickey Mouse will be king for the ratongas). :) However I think or at least hope that an old school team will be reborn and make the MMO we look for. But it should be similar to EQ1 but with less focus on grouping and less severe death penalties. The world in EQ1 was epic, until SOE destroyed many zones and made some odd decisions (the look of necro pet and troll).

We simply do not have enough valid information on what EQ Next is or isn't. Keep a weather eye out for mid August. Smokejumper is somewhat due for a report of some type about this. Yeah, we'll get an earful of Landmark, but when push comes to shove most are still feeling a little bit underwhelmed by last years' unveiling I felt judging from what I witnessed while watching the presentation on video.

I will obviously be doing the same this year. I do feel it's time for some transparency. I think SoE, judging from recent events, certainly needs a success. On paper, EQ Next looks wonderful to me, but again, we know very, very little about this project. While this is frustrating to those of us looking for that old feeling some of us had in the original EQ, it's probably been wise to keep the cards near the chest, so to speak. But, with that said it has been a year and I doubt seriously a nice slice of time  spent on what has actually been accomplished thus far would harm development or the trust many have placed on SoE.

Crossed fingers,

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

It may be more like EQ3 than we think.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that it will be so drastically different from what we'd expect of a game released 10+ years after its predecessor.

I personally think this is going to be a full on themepark ride of an MMORPG with a lot of new and interesting things.  Maybe in the end it will do for the genre what EQ did and we'll have a spiritual successor after all.  Maybe it will do more like EQ2 did and just never pull the audience we would have expected and we'd have the spiritual successor to EQ2 in a sense that way :P

Either way we could call it EQ3!

Depending on what comes up in the next few months about it i'm looking forward to trying it out either way.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by evilized

ITT

and

Its not about it being bad for gamers. Its that long time Everquest fans have been looking forward to and asking for a new EQ game for a long time. From the info given, this area of the forum and SoE EQN forum has died. SoE has said clearly they are making this game not to take the fans from EQ1 and EQ2 but to pull in a new group of players. From a business side of things, this sounds awesome. To the long time fan, it can feel like we are cheated. Funny thing is, EQ3 is what people have been asking for, for a long time. 

I think lumping all EQ players together isn't really the right way to go about this discussion. I played EQ from '99 until 2002 and I loved the lore, the game and everything else that went with it. I am looking forward to EQ:Next as are a good number of other people who played EQ back in the golden age. The EQ franchise needed a rework; the lore from the original game has gotten jumbled and tired in the 15 years it has been around, a fresh take will help things out.

The graphics are actually reminiscent of the original EQ1 models (look at the ogre faces… c'mon). The new Shadows of Luclin models is when everything went more "realistic" and I think that it really hurt the game. EQ2 has a "cartoony / not so cartoony" model choice as well, if you remember so the direction they went with EQ:Next isn't so far off line. Gameplay wise, getting away from the tab target trinity isn't a huge deal for me. I like that type of gameplay however I like the "action" combat that they are aiming at just as much (TERA was a lot of fun… a LOT of fun). Some people won't like it and that's a shame, but it's not "all" of the old EQ fans, not even close. 

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by alyndale

Keep a weather eye out for mid August. Smokejumper is somewhat due for a report of some type about this. Yeah, we'll get an earful of Landmark, but when push comes to shove most are still feeling a little bit underwhelmed by last years' unveiling I felt judging from what I witnessed while watching the presentation on video.

I thought the presentation made a hugely positive impact. The Twitch chat was retarded about it, but when isn't it.

Anyway, yes, the SOE Live 2014 schedule went up yesterday, and there is an EQN keynote and EQN tech panel on the 15th, an EQN combat and classes panel on the 16th, and an EQN content panel on the 17th.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
    I fear that they will only count on high initial sale of the game as most companies seams to do today. My guess is that combat will be quite boring (as GW2 and TESO). I will this time around however give them some cash, for the free to play game.... :) ... so I can check it out.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

EQN migration system sounds really intresting, long gone are the static mob spawn, mobs move around and if you kill them to much they migrate to other places.

Old Everquest ala themepark are dead, get over it, we are entering a new era of MMO gaming, flow with it or stay back and play your arcane stale themepark buildup It's your choice.

I embrase changes.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Torgrim

EQN migration system sounds really intresting, long gone are the static mob spawn, mobs move around and if you kill them to much they migrate to other places.

Old Everquest ala themepark are dead, get over it, we are entering a new era of MMO gaming, flow with it or stay back and play your arcane stale themepark buildup It's your choice.

I embrase changes.

I feel it's a risk to do a to randomized world where you can't really learn it. I think that somekind of balance is the best way to go. So people feel home when they play the game.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Elmberry

I embrase changes.

I feel it's a risk to do a to randomized world where you can't really learn it, because everything is spawned by random. I think that somekind of balance is the best way to go. So people feel home when they play the game.

It really all depends on the implementation imo.

If they do it right it can add a sense of exploration even to areas one is already familiar with.  They could still have a sense of "i've been here before" and simply add that new sense of "and now theres a goblin camp here!!!"

It could be fun if done right..  And really add some depth to the world.  Most MMORPGs are too static imo and in no danger of having too much going on.

I embrase changes.

Greetings Torgrim!

I do definitely agree with you. There new ideas lurking about. We get just morsels to chew on and like humans often do we'll spin those epic yarns about what we see for the future of gaming. <raises hand> I am guilty as charged!

I had a rather interesting discussion one evening a couple of weeks ago about what SoE might be doing. One of the friends I was talking to had not tried EQ or EQ 2 and I told them about EQ 2's modding or dungeon creation. Granted it is with stock npc's or mobs from the game but nevertheless i have played some rather creative and challenging player-made dungeons. Thus, I can forsee, maybe, that the guys and gals down in San Diego might just be thinking about this and how the tools used in landmark will be used to create dungeons. Fascinating to dream up the possibilties. Imagine what an end game would be in EQ Next? <Laughing> actually probably no end at all really come to think of it!

Imagine what storybricks can do for an mmo like EQ Next? Now, I am no expert, but it is how one interacts with the world/environment/npcs/mobs in the game. Now, with this in mind, a player might be able to write player-made quests. Interesting and stimulating. Obviously, I would think these player-made quests like player-made items would need to be given the "ok" by the devs, but imagine how brings a "return on your mmo investment"?

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Originally posted by Elmberry

I embrase changes.

I feel it's a risk to do a to randomized world where you can't really learn it, because everything is spawned by random. I think that somekind of balance is the best way to go. So people feel home when they play the game.

It really all depends on the implementation imo.

If they do it right it can add a sense of exploration even to areas one is already familiar with.  They could still have a sense of "i've been here before" and simply add that new sense of "and now theres a goblin camp here!!!"

It could be fun if done right..  And really add some depth to the world.  Most MMORPGs are too static imo and in no danger of having too much going on.

I certainly agree Rama here. There are times I feel as though appear to be grazing and simply waiting for my group or myself to sort of mow them down. Challenge is what randomization can do for an mmo, and true to Rama it is in the way it is implemented by those in charge of game creation.

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon